Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Allen needs to be released in the Off-Season

Indeee

5 hours ago, dudeski said:

They are paying him for his blocking and receiving ability.  Not just to catch passes.  This is real football.  Not your fantasy team bro

dont play fantasy

and mcafee does deserve credit for being a great holder

13 hours ago, dudeski said:

Yeah yeah sure he does.  Because bad holders are an epidemic in the nfl.  You people are truly special

no other team has made 44 kicks in a row.  holders lose games for somebody every year.  it happened to the chargers a few weeks ago

youre the special one that doesnt under stand why people like one of the best punters in the league, who's also one of the very few that is worth a % in coverage, and he plays an important role in FGs

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

no other team has made 44 kicks in a row.  holders lose games for somebody every year.  it happened to the chargers a few weeks ago

youre the special one that doesnt under stand why people like one of the best punters in the league, who's also one of the very few that is worth a % in coverage, and he plays an important role in FGs

He is terrible in coverage.  Just like every punter.  

This is is absurd 

On November 8, 2016 at 8:19 AM, DaveA1102 said:

It is a lot of money for what he produces but, to be in the position of having three strong TE's we can utilise is never a bad thing.  If we can shore up the O-line and use Allen more for blocking the run game should really grow and make us much less one-dimensional.

You make a good point. Allen is being held back to block because the O line is a work in progress. As they improve he can be released into more pass plays. 

On 11/7/2016 at 6:33 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

To the bolded:

1) Why would they just outright release him when he clearly does have some trade value? He can catch, and he's a great blocking TE. At minimum they'd be able to get at least a draft pick in return, and not have to eat that cash. And to call him the "dumbest decision" is pretty far off base. I could rattle off 3 moves that were far worse (signing Landry Jones, not re-signing Jerrell Freeman, drafting Bjoern Werner). Having Allen on the team isn't such a bad thing when you compare it to those 3.

2) I love Doyle and Swoope, but neither have the blocking skillset that Allen has. Doyle is a poor man's Dallas Clark (and I mean that in the BEST way possible, I love me some Doyle, and want him to be part of the plan long-term). As far as Swoope goes, he's still just scratching the surface, we don't really know what we have in him yet. It looks promising, but his all around game is still pretty raw.

All in all, I like the TE depth that the Colts have right now, and that includes Allen, even though he does have a bad game from time to time and struggles to stay healthy.

Yes we would have to eat the $3M dead cap if we trade or cut him.
 Would someone give up a draft pick for 2017 at his $5M salary? 

Allen hasn't had the greatest year, but I think he will end up having had a decent season. 

The 2-TE sets will only increase as the Colts realize that Doyle/Allen can give you more than Dorsett on a snap to snap basis and Allen has a valuable skill set. He just has a lot of mental mistakes and trouble staying healthy. 

I don't see any reason to cut him outright, but I do agree that he hasn't justified his contract this year so far. I still think he has the tools to get the job done, though. 

we might want to avoid this fan-habit of pitting our own players against each other in the court of public opinion.

Who cares if Doyle is better than Allen right now....?

We need them both..if Doyle is injured next Sunday and declared out for the season..any body still want to release Allen?

No, then lets just get healthy and leave our 27-28 points per game offense just the way it is..

On 11/12/2016 at 7:55 AM, oldunclemark said:

He's better blocker than Doyle is.....they are different types...and we need them both

I disagree, I think Doyle is the better blocker... they are about the same in pass pro (below average) but Doyle has become the better run blocker.

13 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

we might want to avoid this fan-habit of pitting our own players against each other in the court of public opinion.

Who cares if Doyle is better than Allen right now....?

We need them both..if Doyle is injured next Sunday and declared out for the season..any body still want to release Allen?

No, then lets just get healthy and leave our 27-28 points per game offense just the way it is..

You are kind of contradicting yourself in these two posts.  In the first you are pitting Doyle against Allen (I didn't do that, I just said it's a fan myth that Allen is a good blocker) and then you say we should avoid, "pitting our own players against each other..."

And I don't think anyone is saying cut him now, actually the title of the thread specifically states in the offseason.

17 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I disagree, I think Doyle is the better blocker... they are about the same in pass pro (below average) but Doyle has become the better run blocker.

You are kind of contradicting yourself in these two posts.  In the first you are pitting Doyle against Allen (I didn't do that, I just said it's a fan myth that Allen is a good blocker) and then you say we should avoid, "pitting our own players against each other..."

And I don't think anyone is saying cut him now, actually the title of the thread specifically states in the offseason.

Understand the phrase 'pitting our players against each other'

Lets be honest..Doyle is a fan favorite and Allen is not. Nobody's taking about releasing Doyle and keeping Allen, right. Criticism of Allen is intertwined with praise of Doyle. Lets not pretend it isn't.

It hurts our team to release Allen after the season and sign a rookie TE or an available free agent TE 

We need BOTH the better blocker and the better pass catcher and the basketball player who is the project" 

That';s not 'pitting them against each other,'...its taking about skill sets.

I don't want to release any of them.. Allen is under contract. He makes $2.5 mil, right? he's in his prime...26? He's been hurt....I don't blame him for that...  maybe fans don't respect blocking ability....

Maybe they like the local player.  Wonderful

But releasing Dwayne Allen to save his salary makes no sense outside this message board

Don't know why Allen gets so much bad talk here but maybe there's factors I'm not getting

Regardless...to repeat......'pitting them against each other' is talk of releasing one guy for a nameless. faceless replacement....and praising the other.

'Comparing skills' is to talk about the virtues of two players..both of whom we need.

Its Ok to talk about skills,,but you play 2 TEs a lot...  again..We need them both!

23 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Understand the phrase 'pitting our players against each other'

Lets be honest..Doyle is a fan favorite and Allen is not. Nobody's taking about releasing Doyle and keeping Allen, right. Criticism of Allen is intertwined with praise of Doyle. Lets not pretend it isn't.

It hurts our team to release Allen after the season and sign a rookie TE or an available free agent TE 

We need BOTH the better blocker and the better pass catcher and the basketball player who is the project" 

That';s not 'pitting them against each other,'...its taking about skill sets.

I don't want to release any of them.. Allen is under contract. He makes $2.5 mil, right? he's in his prime...26? He's been hurt....I don't blame him for that...  maybe fans don't respect blocking ability....

Maybe they like the local player.  Wonderful

But releasing Dwayne Allen to save his salary makes no sense outside this message board

Don't know why Allen gets so much bad talk here but maybe there's factors I'm not getting

Regardless...to repeat......'pitting them against each other' is talk of releasing one guy for a nameless. faceless replacement....and praising the other.

'Comparing skills' is to talk about the virtues of two players..both of whom we need.

Its Ok to talk about skills,,but you play 2 TEs a lot...  again..We need them both!

Oldunclemark, you are one of my favorite posters (it may be because I have an Uncle Mark (although he probably wouldn't like me calling him old ) but your posts are usually well thought out and interesting and you always explain what you are using as the basis for your opinion.

That being said, you are reaching quite a bit with this post.  All I didn't was say that Allen is not as good a blocker as the fans think... he's not a good blocker at all and you jump in and say he's a better blocker than Doyle.  So again you are the one "pitting one player against another.

As to the other, Doyle is a fan favorite because he is effective and consistent.  Among TEs Doyle is 12th in receptions, 15th in yards and 5th in TDs.  Dwayne Allen is 30th, 32nd and 19th.  So yeah, that is the NFL... if a team can get the same production for less money then they make that move... if they can get greater production for the less money then it's a no brainer.