Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sb 46 Will Be A Lose-Lose For Peyton Manning Fans.

Cain Marko

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Eli wins then we all have to hear about Eli being the "better Manning."

If Brady wins, people will argue he is hands down the best because of the 4 rings.

What a horrible season this truly has been.

Any dipstick knows Peyton is better than Eli, you can't use rings as the measuring stick for everything (as much as Pats fans try to)

IE: Bradshaw has 4 rings, Marino has none, was Bradshaw a better QB, HECK NO!

Any dipstick knows Peyton is better than Eli, you can't use rings as the measuring stick for everything (as much as Pats fans try to)

IE: Bradshaw has 4 rings, Marino has none, was Bradshaw a better QB, HECK NO!

Don't you have to define 'better' also? Because Eli has won clutch playoff games on the road where Peyton has not. And Brady has been to 5 super bowls in 10 years. I'm not saying Eli is better or Brady is better but there has to be some agreement as to what measurements you are using when making comparisons. And which ones are actually valid.

It is a win-win for Indianapolis, IMO. Two big cities, Boston (and surrounding NE area) plus New York will be spending a lot of dough in our city. Good for us, especially in a year with Peyton down, we had no chance of backing our Colts in any playoff run.

As a fan, it also re-inforces the theme that while you can rely on your QB to get through the regular season, playmaking on D, ST and being able to run the ball with a good O-line are all factors that cannot be ignored in playoff football, something our Peyton era teams were seriously deficient in except for one playoff run. Even in that playoff run, our ST was still horrendous, and we won despite our ST woes.

Don't you have to define 'better' also? Because Eli has won clutch playoff games on the road where Peyton has not.

NY GIants = Better team than the Indianapolis Colts. It's nice when you don't move the ball in two possessions in OT, yet you still get the ball back and your kicker ACTUALLY MAKES THE KICK. Having a defense and special teams sure helps.

10+ Wins and the playoffs for god knows how many seasons to..... 2-14 which could have easily been 0-16 sans Hasselbeck and catching the Texans with their pants down.

The Giants are the better team. PEYTON is the better MANNING and is hands down the best player at his position the past ten seasons. Possibly the best to ever play.

If Brady wins, people will argue he is hands down the best because of the 4 rings.

Just for the record, the season is over. It can continue for you, however, if you want to rehash it. Me? I'll concentrate on our new GM and new direction.

This is not directed at you personally, but the only truly horrible thing I have seen this season is the exposure of spoiled fans. Onward and upward! Tally .........................ho!

NY GIants = Better team than the Indianapolis Colts. It's nice when you don't move the ball in two possessions in OT, yet you still get the ball back and your kicker ACTUALLY MAKES THE KICK.

10+ Win seasons for god knows how many seasons to..... 2-14 which could have easily been 0-16 sans Hasselbeck and catching the Texans with their pants down.

The Giants are the better team. PEYTON is the better MANNING.

You sure it wasn't injuries, our o-line, aging players, terrible defense, coach caldwell, extremely inept backup Qb's, etc. that contributed to being such a bad team this year?

Is that the measuring stick? how many games do the Giants win with Painter, Collins, or Orlovsky?

Well if we hire Zimmer, than yes our defense will be better. I am just hoping we sign some GOOD free agents. I'm talking about Carl Nicks, Cortland Finnegan, and even LaRon Landry.

Finnegan, which version? The one prior to this season, or the one that played this season? I think this years version was just to get a big payday.

You sure it wasn't injuries, our o-line, aging players, terrible defense, coach caldwell, extremely inept backup Qb's, etc. that contributed to being such a bad team this year?

Is that the measuring stick? how many games do the Giants win with Painter, Collins, or Orlovsky?

The same....

-Injuries

-Terrible O-line with Manning running for his life within 2 seconds of each snap.

-Defense

-"Coach" Caldwell

-Extremely inept backup players aside from WR's

-Special (Ed) Teams.

......that Manning led to the playoffs in 2010. Just like every other season since 2007. (Aside from Dungy instead of Caldwell, but at least Dungy had PRESENCE on a team) Also prior to 2007 our O-line was good. (And great up until Tarik Glenn retired)

The Giants would win 5-6+ games with Orlovsky. Painter and Collins are more of a question mark seeing as neither should be playing in the NFL.

NY GIants = Better team than the Indianapolis Colts. It's nice when you don't move the ball in two possessions in OT, yet you still get the ball back and your kicker ACTUALLY MAKES THE KICK. Having a defense and special teams sure helps.

10+ Wins and the playoffs for god knows how many seasons to..... 2-14 which could have easily been 0-16 sans Hasselbeck and catching the Texans with their pants down.

The Giants are the better team. PEYTON is the better MANNING and is hands down the best player at his position the past ten seasons. Possibly the best to ever play.

I would like this, but im out of likes for the day.. so... I LIKE! ;)

Thank you! ^^^^This!!

Yeah Jim Kelly would take offense to this as well. Rings are no measure. The Giants are a well-rounded football team. I'm actually ecstatic because my favorite NFC team is the Giants. Gonna be a great game to watch-- look at it this way-- a MANNING could still win MVP in the Luke!

Just for the record, the season is over. It can continue for you, however, if you want to rehash it. Me? I'll concentrate on our new GM and new direction.

This is not directed at you personally, but the only truly horrible thing I have seen this season is the exposure of spoiled fans. Onward and upward! Tally .........................ho!

The Colts are just 2 years removed from the SB. They should not be in rebuilding mode already. Especially with the same scheme and essentially the same pieces in place. Yeah, we're spoiled as fans but we expected more. Even with Peyton hurt.

Yeah Jim Kelly would take offense to this as well. Rings are no measure. The Giants are a well-rounded football team. I'm actually ecstatic because my favorite NFC team is the Giants. Gonna be a great game to watch-- look at it this way-- a MANNING could still win MVP in the Luke!

Im the same. Giants are my NFC/backup team.. yes we all have one.. :)

Im so excited for this superbowl! I think the crowed will be crazy for Eli. Jmo

Haters are going to make the first argument about Eli and Peyton regardless and the Haters are going to find a reason to hate Peyton no matter what. Most people who have watched them know that's not true so outside of haters I don't think it'll get much tracation.

With that said Eli Manning has really arrived this year as one of the best QBs in the NFL. He's just not one of the best of all-time like big bro :)

The Colts are just 2 years removed from the SB. They should not be in rebuilding mode already. Especially with the same scheme and essentially the same pieces in place. Yeah, we're spoiled as fans but we expected more. Even with Peyton hurt.

We got 1 fewer win than I thought we would without Peyton. If we had overhauled parts of the team over the last few years then we wouldn't be rebuilding now.

Haters are going to make the first argument about Eli and Peyton regardless and the Haters are going to find a reason to hate Peyton no matter what. Most people who have watched them know that's not true so outside of haters I don't think it'll get much tracation.

With that said Eli Manning has really arrived this year as one of the best QBs in the NFL. He's just not one of the best of all-time like big bro :)

Maybe it's not haters but instead all the Peyton homers that say he's the GOAT without putting up an objective way to compare him with other QB's to determine if that's true or not.

Maybe it's not haters but instead all the Peyton homers that say he's the GOAT without putting up an objective way to compare him with other QB's to determine if that's true or not.

Yeah look at Peyton's stats the fact the he's the only player in the history of the NFL to win the League MVP award four times. I am sorry that carries more weight than Super Bowl Rings if we are talking about how great a PLAYER is. With that said those things put Peyton in that convo but you can make strong cases for other players as well.

When was the last time you heard someone Jerry Rice was the greatest WR ever because he won four Super Bowl rings or that Marvin Harrison was better than Cris Carter or TIm Brown because he won a ring and they didn't? You don't. It's only for QBs that people try to make that arguement and I don't buy it. Things like playoff wins and Super Bowl rings are team accomplishments not solo players.

Eli and Brady have played on better teams. They had teammates that could take up the slack if they had an off day. Also both have been on teams with way better defenses.

The Colts in the past have had very good teams too. Edge has led the league in rushing (which provides a lot of balance to the offense) and 2005 we had the #2 scoring defense in the league.

Yeah look at Peyton's stats the fact the he's the only player in the history of the NFL to win the League MVP award four times. I am sorry that carries more weight than Super Bowl Rings if we are talking about how great a PLAYER is. With that said those things put Peyton in that convo but you can make strong cases for other players as well.

When was the last time you heard someone Jerry Rice was the greatest WR ever because he won four Super Bowl rings or that Marvin Harrison was better than Cris Carter or TIm Brown because he won a ring and they didn't? You don't. It's only for QBs that people try to make that arguement and I don't buy it. Things like playoff wins and Super Bowl rings are team accomplishments not solo players.

Would you agree the the Qb has a lot more influence on the outcome of games than any other position? Isn't the MVP for the regular season only? Seems like the greatest player should be great when it counts the most. Maybe Peyton has as I've not done any statistical analysis on his postseason performance. I'm not saying he's not there in the conversation, I just don't see that it's a fact he's the greatest.

Keep in mind the Colts Polianed...er..sorry..pulled their starters for many games throughout:

Early years under Manning/building an offense to work with:

1999: 3-13 (Fed to the wolves)

2000: 13-3

2001: 6-10 (Yuck)

The Golden Manning years: All offense, no defense. No special teams. Mediocre coach.

2002: 10-6

2003 12-4 (Walt Colemaned)

2004: 12-4 (Beat fair and square by the best TEAM of the decade)

2005: 14-2 (VANDERSHANKED)

2006: 12-4 (Hey, look! 18+ weeks in to the season we finally get a DEFENSE to show up! Now with 2/3 of a team, since special teams still blow, we won the Superbowl.)

The Declining Years:

Tarik Glenn and EJ are both gone, many O-line players begin to be let go/not picked up. Offense begins to decline, rest of the team remains terrible.

2007: 13-3 (Bolted, matchup heck for us.)

2008: 12-4 (See above)

2009: 19-0....oh...sorry..that's what we would have had if not for Polian and his puppet. 14-2

2010: 10-6 *Coach* Strikes again.

Manning is out for the season: THE POST MANNING YEARS

2011: 2-14 and what could have easily been 0-16

Put someone like Brady, Rodgers, or Brees on this team and they win 6 games. _TOPS_

I'd love to see any of the above QB's running for their lives on a regular basis and dumping the ball within 2 seconds without getting obliterated.

-Brees has the best shot at not winding up in a coma given his ability to make reads and get rid of the ball very quickly.

-Brady looks flustered when he doesn't get to stand like a statue for 4 seconds reading the field 3 times over and hitting his WIDE OPEN receivers. (Or a ginormous TE) Great QB, but absolutely NEEDS a great O-line. He'd be on IR within 6 weeks.

-Rodgers is a lesser version of Brees.

-I'll mention Romo possibly winning a few games as he has a quick release as well and might survive. Then again he can't make reads for jack squat so he'd just get pummeled I guess. :)

-Rivers, like Romo. has a fast release and might win a few. Then again he regressed this year big time.

You're right. I'm a Manning homer and clearly overstating his importance or status as a QB. Especially considering he only had 1/3 of a team for his entire career sans the occasional Cleveland Brown game when the D won it or the 2006 playoff run.

True...but lets be honest. If Peyton had a couple rings, you know you'd be using it as 'further proof' for why he is the greatest quarterback ever...so as much as Colts fans want to just shake it off like its not about championships, they DO matter. As odd is it sounds, individual statistics are not individual either....just like how the number of rings a player has isnt an individual thing. This whole 'players dont win championships, teams win championships' thing only became a rallying cry from Colts fans over the last few years when Peyton's statistical edge over Brady started to dwindle. At the beginning it was ringz vs stats....then Peyton won his ring...then Brady got his stats...now so many of you try to undermine what Superbowl appearances do to a players legacy because its something that Peyton doesnt top the list in. You guys just cant stand to give someone kudos over Peyton...even little brother Eli now. Championships matter for a players legacy...as much if not more than regular season MVP's.

Would you agree the the Qb has a lot more influence on the outcome of games than any other position? Isn't the MVP for the regular season only? Seems like the greatest player should be great when it counts the most. Maybe Peyton has as I've not done any statistical analysis his postseason performance. I'm not saying he's not there in the conversation, I just don't see that it's a fact he's the greatest.

No I wouldn't agree with that. As we saw today in the Ravens game Flacco put the Ravens in place to first win the game and the guy dropped he ball. He then had them in place to tie it and the guy missed the kick. Sometimes a player can play well and still lose. See the Jets playoff loss last year. Peyton gave them the lead. It was the Special Teams and Defense that lost the game. See the two playoff games vs. the Chargers where Peyton played two of the best playoff games of his career stat wise and the teams still lost. One because the defense couldn't get a stop against a back up QB and a back up RB and the other they lost in OT without him ever seeing the ball. Even the Steelers game they lost despite not playing well early Peyton ralied the team and had them in place to tie the game only for Vandy to miss the kick samething happened when they lost to the Dolphins in 2000 in the playoffs.

Notice I didn't say Peyton was the greatest of all time I said he's there in the converstation. I've said countless times I don't think you can say one guy is the greatest because what makes you the greatest of all time differs from person to person. It's not just Colts fans that don't have a set arguement, other teams don't as well. I am sure if you ask 49ers fans you are going to here Montana, Pats fans are going to say Brady, Packers fans are going to tell you Favre, Starr, or yes even Rodgers. Miami fans are going to tell you it's Marnio, Broncos fans will say Elway, Heck some Colts fans will tell you Johnny U was better than Peyton Manning. You can make strong cases for all the above and I am sure I didn't list them all on that list.

True...but lets be honest. If Peyton had a couple rings, you know you'd be using it as 'further proof' for why he is the greatest quarterback ever...so as much as Colts fans want to just shake it off like its not about championships, they DO matter. As odd is it sounds, individual statistics are not individual either....just like how the number of rings a player has isnt an individual thing. This whole 'players dont win championships, teams win championships' thing only became a rallying cry from Colts fans over the last few years when Peyton's statistical edge over Brady started to dwindle. At the beginning it was ringz vs stats....then Peyton won his ring...then Brady got his stats...now so many of you try to undermine what Superbowl appearances do to a players legacy because its something that Peyton doesnt top the list in. You guys just cant stand to give someone kudos over Peyton...even little brother Eli now. Championships matter for a players legacy...as much if not more than regular season MVP's.

I wouldn't I've said all along that rings alone don't make you great. I don't factor the number of rings into how great a "player" is because I view them as a team accomplishment. No one single player has ever been responable for a team having a Super Bowl season.

Also if you read what I've been saying I've said Eli has backed up his claim he is one of the best QBs in the game and in fact backed him up at the start of the season when he said it when others laughed at it so don't you dare try to paint me with that sterotype.

Fortunately, I like both Mannings. The Colts are my favorite team and Peyton is my favorite QB. Eli is my fellow Ole Miss alum so I support him also. I still haven't fully forgiven Peyton for choosing Tennessee of Ole Miss.

Ole Miss football program was a JOKE when Peyton was in college.

The Steel Curtain didn't do the lion's share with Bradshaw? The 49'ers weren't loaded all around? Bradshaw, Montana, and Young were blessed to play on those two teams.

Marino has zero rings. He's the best QB in NFL history as far as pure athletic ability. The fact he dragged those abysmal Dolphins to the SB is nothing short of incredible.

Marino >>>>>>> Bradshaw, Elway, and just about every QB to ever play. Rings mean squat. He has zero, Manning has 1. Marino, on field ability to read and disect a D aside, is as good or better than Peyton Manning in every way.

Picture Marino or Manning on the 49'ers, Steel Curtain Steelers, or 2000-present Patriots. Would they ever NOT win the Superbowl?

The Steel Curtain didn't do the lion's share with Bradshaw? The 49'ers weren't loaded all around? Bradshaw, Montana, and Young were blessed to play on those two teams.

Marino has zero rings. He's the best QB in NFL history as far as pure athletic ability. The fact he dragged those abysmal Dolphins to the SB is nothing short of incredible.

I'm not saying that teams dont win Superbowls. Of course they do. Im just saying that Im not using that cliche to undermine what a quarterback is able to accomplish. When a team goes to the Superbowl, and the quarterback is the leader of that team, it goes on his resume and adds to his legacy. All Im saying is that many of you Colts fans tend to overemphasize the importance of categories and lists that Peyton leads, and you underemphasize ones where he doesnt...all because you're so worried about someone else getting recognition and you think it will be at the cost of Peyton's legacy.

This Superbowl has nothing to do with Peyton. It has nothing to do with the Colts. Give Eli credit. Give Brady credit. They are the only two still standing. For Eli, its his second in 5 years. For Brady, its his 5th in 11. Pretty darn impressive.