Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Preseason might be revealing

bleevit

While ultimately the preseason is meaningless, for as long as my old brain can remember the Colts productivity goes up in smoke as soon as the backups hit the field. True depth has been sorely lacking. This year I would love to see the opposing teams start to suffer when the reserves come in. It would give me real hope for a great season.

We have to keep in mind that the reserves will never all be in a game at the same time.  Obviously the scores don't matter, nor does it matter if our second team is better or worse than theirs as a whole.  Even when subs look great, we have to take it with a grain of salt since they're playing against backups.

What does matter is how the guys perform their assignments.  Most importantly, can we count on a sub to come in an not be a huge drop off from the starter.

I enjoy the preseason because we'll see guys in action who may only play STs all year.  But usually the fourth quarter, and the Cincy game, are almost unwatchable. 

Only way pre season games will be reduced is expanding the regular season. I don't want to see that for a couple of reasons but that is a different topic. The owners will never agree because they get paid the same amount of money for a pre season game as they do a regular season game ticket wise.

11 hours ago, Coltsfan1953 said:

It's kind of different for us non Indianapolis area fans. We don't get to see too many games here in WV so its like one extra chance to see the COLTS play and I will take all I can get.

Agreed. I'm actually happy we get to play the HOF game this year since it means I get more Football up here in Canada. Injuries can happen at any time. Though I understand how some people would rather get past the pre season as quick as possible

20 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Only way pre season games will be reduced is expanding the regular season. I don't want to see that for a couple of reasons but that is a different topic. The owners will never agree because they get paid the same amount of money for a pre season game as they do a regular season game ticket wise.

We're eventually going to get 18 games and 2 pre-season games...20 weeks of play

With controlled scrimmages, there's just no reason for 4 pre-season games...

Used to be 6 pre-season games when the season as 14 games long...same 20 weeks

18 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

We're eventually going to get 18 games and 2 pre-season games...20 weeks of play

If they do go to 18 games, I hope they expand the roster and add in another bye week.  It's already a long season as far as the wear and tear on the players bodies.

56 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

You are more than likely right.

3 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

5 preseason games makes me nervous for injuries, but I also like the chance for our rookies and project players to get more expirience before the real games start.

Risk v. Reward scenario right. I lean towards the latter part of your statement myself. I think with so many young players trying to get up to speed, the extra preseason game should be beneficial.

Yea, we had a habit of winning one pre-season game (at most).

i think part of this is having a set QB so our offense wasn't very effective as our starting QB was usually on the bench. Other teams are battling for QB spots in many cases going into 4th quarters of ps games.  We haven't had that here in close ro 20 years! haha

also, when you have that franchise QB, as with Manning, you can't afford the depth you speak of.  In the Luck years, I think a lot of it was also the major player/talent overhaul since Luck/grits/pagans got here.

i think our depth looks better overall (on paper) this year. Especially in areas that were glaring weaknesses last year.

I know pre season games gets boring real fast but it's a necessity to weed out the other 27 players for the cut down from 90 to 53 + 10 PS. At least there will NFL games to watch and that is better than zero after this long off season. Plus-for the fantasy football players it gives a chance to lay an eyeball on new player they they might want to draft.

I don't worry about about injuries too much. The starters won't be playing that long. They'll get 2 drives or so and come out. Maybe the last pre-season game they'll see some extended action. Luck will probably sit out at least one game though.

But this pre-season is crucial. We have a new offense and defense being installed. These guys need the extra game IMO. But we also have more promising young players than ever before so it'll be good to see who shows up. Guys like Trevor Bates and Maggitt have opportunities to make the final 53. There's also going to be an intense OL battle. A guy like Denzell Good or Thorton could be a surprise cut depending on how pre-season goes.

On 5/21/2016 at 7:20 AM, oldunclemark said:

I hope it stays just the way it is.  I enjoy being able to see the lower round and undrafted free agents play and 2 weeks is not nearly enough to evaluate those players and also allow the established players time in order to work the rust off.

If the season does go to 18/2, then I hope the final 53 goes to something like 58.  Need some way to stash the players that you now gamble on even more since your evaluation time has dropped, not to mention the impact of your longer IR list with the 2 extra games.

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don't worry about about injuries too much. The starters won't be playing that long. They'll get 2 drives or so and come out. Maybe the last pre-season game they'll see some extended action. Luck will probably sit out at least one game though.

But this pre-season is crucial. We have a new offense and defense being installed. These guys need the extra game IMO. But we also have more promising young players than ever before so it'll be good to see who shows up. Guys like Trevor Bates and Maggitt have opportunities to make the final 53. There's also going to be an intense OL battle. A guy like Denzell Good or Thorton could be a surprise cut depending on how pre-season goes.

Pre season are known to be boring but not really if you think about what's going on. 27 of these guys are going on and it's more than likely not boring to them.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Pre season are known to be boring but not really if you think about what's going on. 27 of these guys are going on and it's more than likely not boring to them.

I personally love pre-season. I enjoy watching all the unknown players go out and compete against each other. They're all fighting for the same thing. And sometimes it's like watching an entirely different team play when there aren't any starters out there. It's like the Colts B vs the Packers B.

On May 21, 2016 at 9:34 PM, oldunclemark said:

No more brutal than the NHL....really..but I don't want to extend the season beyond 20 weeks.

I just want 18 to count

I'd like 18 too.

but i dont see the NHL as brutal as the NFL.

not near the collisions.

I like watching preseason games, just because of the withdraw ...lol

But I don't put much stock in seeing players in preseason action.  Look at last year for example, Robinson looked to play well in preseason, but made it all of just a few games into the season before getting cut.  The benifit is for guys whom need some real game action to fine tune themselves.  Like Green or Clark.  This benifits them the most.  5 meaningless games to help them move into the pro's and get up to speed.