Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good players on Defense available round 2

There are some very good defensive players still available, and if the Colts are lucky, they can land one of these players...

NT Andrew Billings

OLB Noah Spence

NT Austin Johnson

DE/OLB Kevin Dodd

LB Myles Jack

OLB Kamalei Correa

DT Chris Jones

CB Mackensie Alexander

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

There are some very good defensive players still available, and if the Colts are lucky, they can land one of these players...

NT Andrew Billings

OLB Noah Spence

NT Austin Johnson

DE/OLB Kevin Dodd

LB Myles Jack

OLB Kamalei Correa

DT Chris Jones

CB Mackensie Alexander

Like them all...Correa would be my least favorite in that group, but I'd be fine with it

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Robinson, Reed, Ogbah, Green, etc.

The next 16 picks could be defensive players, and there would probably still be a good one left at #48.

Kind of like the way things are setting up for us, lots of front 7 guys there worth a 2nd.  Can't imagine it happening, but what if Derrick Henry falls to us at 48? Don't know that I would pull the trigger, but it would be tempting.

5 minutes ago, OHColtfan said:

Kind of like the way things are setting up for us, lots of front 7 guys there worth a 2nd.  Can't imagine it happening, but what if Derrick Henry falls to us at 48? Don't know that I would pull the trigger, but it would be tempting.

I'm still not that high on Henry, despite the fact that he worked out a lot better than I expected. He might be a top of the second kind of guy.

I'm still not that high on Henry, despite the fact that he worked out a lot better than I expected. He might be a top of the second kind of guy.

With the way this draft is moving I could even see Henry available at the top of the 3rd round to be honest with so many quality DL still on the board along with people still looking for pass rushers and probably safeties and corners. 

Just now, krunk said:

With the way this draft is moving I could even see Henry available at the top of the 3rd round to be honest with so many quality DL still on the board along with people still looking for pass rushers and probably safeties and corners. 

There just aren't many noteworthy pass rushers. Spence is kind of it, and he didn't do much in workouts. If he's there at #48 he should be the pick, but I don't think he will be. 

There's still a lot of guys who got first round buzz sitting out there. If someone wants Cook at the top of the second, it's going to push another good prospect down. I think the second round is going to be more exciting than the first.

There just aren't many noteworthy pass rushers. Spence is kind of it, and he didn't do much in workouts. If he's there at #48 he should be the pick, but I don't think he will be. 

There's still a lot of guys who got first round buzz sitting out there. If someone wants Cook at the top of the second, it's going to push another good prospect down. I think the second round is going to be more exciting than the first.

I'd still take Fackrell at 48 all day long, I'd like Calhoun to by I don't think he falls to 48

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

All in all I think there are enough noteworthy players left over from the first round combined with guys you expected to go in the second round at other positions to where you may want to hold off on a guy like Henry until the 3rd round.  It won't surprise me at all to see Henry available in the 3rd.  The 2nd round I think is going to be a big run on DL just like it was last year. 

There are about 5-6 players left on the board that I wouldn't have minded in the first, so that's good... The thing that's worrying is that the safeties are flying off the board and I'm not sure Darian Thompson will be there for us in the third and with all this talent left I'm not sure I'd want to take him in the second with players like Billings, Spence, Alexander, Chris Jones, Bullard, Myles Jack, etc. still on the board.

If we miss out on Thompson I think we'll still have a shot at guys like Sean Davis, Kevirae Russell, Deandre Houston Carson and some others in the third.  Colts also had this really nice sized safety from UCONN they worked out who seemed to be a baller from some of the film I watched.  They'll find somebody good!

Hopefully we'll be able to pull a pass rusher out of round 2, but it won't surprise me if we end up having to go with somebody like Jordan Jenkins, ILB or a DT.  We may not end up addressing the pass rush until the 4th, 5th, maybe even the 7th round(hopefully not that late).  If we have to go mid round to late I like guys like David Perkins, Matt Judon, Trevor Bates(not many people have talked about him, but he's good).  You've got that other guy Aaron Wallace from UCLA whose got some speed.  Some others who I can't think of right off the top of my head.

6 hours ago, Superman said:

What's your thoughts on Billings and Alexander?  I saw you mention that in your other post, I'm interested to hear what you got to say my man!

If we miss out on Thompson I'd like to have either Sean Davis or Kevirae Russell. Guys who can play cornerback and safety.  My personal favorite is Sean Davis as I think he can be molded into something great. I think it wouldn't take him long to be a very good safety and he's so fast. The guy has spent his whole career wanting to be like Sean Taylor, he even wears 21 and the finger tape just like him so that says to me the guy wants to be great because Sean Taylor was great.  I thnk his cornerback skills can be refined and improved in the NFL which will make him a hell of a ball player. Oh and did I mention he will knock the daylights out of you! 

If we do not take a olb in the second I think we should grab 2 in 3-5. Jordan Jenkins and Yannick Ngakou would fill out the OLB position. I think with the run on safeties we are going to miss out on the value players. Ideally I'd like Spence in the second and McGovern in the 4th and Ngakou in the 5th if possible though I don't think he will slide that far. In the third we could go dl or safety or rb. I'd love to trade a pick from next year to get into maybe the 5th and grab Keith Marshall. 

I think Mackensie Alexander would be a great pick, but a lot has been made recently of his attitude off the field. He sounds like he could be a very selfish and arrogant person off the field. It is possible he could be a locker room distraction, and hurt team chemistry. If that is not the case, then I am all for him. 

I imagine most of the big name players will be gone by #48. One name that intrigues me is Xavien Howard from Baylor. He is a bigger corner at 6'0" and 200 lbs. He specializes in press-man coverage. He has potential, and good corners are very difficult to come by. 

I can also stomach Reggie Ragland at #48. I love his toughness, but I do feel he could be a liability in coverage. 

Otherwise, I am fine trading back and taking Kyler Fackrell

There is gonna be a huge run on defense once the first DL and first edge rusher go they will start flying off the board if our number one pass rusher is off the board I may take a DL just because its so deep at that spot one thing to ponder is that Whitehair may fall

It wouldn't shock me to see the Henry's (RB and TE) taken, Whitehair, and maybe Cook too, before 48.  And heck, maybe Boyd or Shepard at WR could go as well.  Tennessee has three picks before 48, so maybe they use one on Jaylon Smith?  Bottom line is there is going to be some very talented D left at 48, which I hope is the direction the Colts go next. 

it may have been a total smokescreen, but I think we should also expect it could be Jihad Ward in round 2 --- if he lasts. Almost everything I've read suggests he has huge upside and is expected to be drafted much earlier than predicted (remember the tweet saying Grigson AND Pagano were spotted having dinner with him)

Kendal Langford is 30, Anderson is coming off a knee and Art Jones hasn't played in TWO years.

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I've always been against Spence in the first round but by all means take him in the 2nd. I'd take him, Thompson, Calhoun, or Ragland at 48.

I also want Thompson but I'm thinking he may get pushed to the 3rd now if we got him there is lose it 

If Jerran Reed starts to slide anymore I wouldn't be upset if we traded up a little bit to grab him. Spence would be fantastic in the second. Like Supe said, there's more quality players on the board than there are draft picks (before us)

8 minutes ago, bap03Colts said:

If Jerran Reed starts to slide anymore I wouldn't be upset if we traded up a little bit to grab him. Spence would be fantastic in the second. Like Supe said, there's more quality players on the board than there are draft picks (before us)

(like)

I wonder if Grigs has any trade back plans for the rest of the draft.  He didn't sound confident about it in the first round because they were gung ho on picking up Kelly. Now that we've got him I wonder what the mindset is?  I'd like to see us pick up some more picks at some point in this draft.

According to articles before the draft even started, It said the Colts would go center & pass rush in the first two rounds. I think they stick with that formula and select a pass rusher.

Best Available Pass Rushers (No Particular Order)

1. Noah Spence

2. Kevin Dodd

3. Emmanuel Obgah

4. Kamalei Correa

5. Shilique Calhoun