Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Predicting where Jaylon Smith gets Drafted.....

Taking a look at which teams have which picks in the draft,  I've got a hunch,  a 12 player window where I think he gets drafted.

It starts toward the bottom of R3 and lasts to the first few picks of R4.....    here they are...

90   Sea

91   NE

92   Ari

93   Car

94   Den

95   Det      Comp pick -- can't be traded

96   NE       Comp pick -- can't be traded

97   Sea     Comp pick -- can't be traded

98   Den     Comp pick -- can't be traded

------------    End of R3

99     Cle

100   Cle

101   Dal

So....     in those 12 picks,  here's what you have....    Seattle (twice, one a comp pick),  NE (twice, one a comp pick)  Denver (twice, one a comp pick) and Cleve (twice).... 

Also in the group here are Arizona,  Carolina,  Detroit,  and Dallas.    

Feels like there are way too many franchises that are willing to take risks in this 12-player window.    Feels like if Smith gets past this 12-pick window,  these eight teams will likely not get another shot at him until much later in R4 and by then,  some other team would've gotten him.    So, this feels like the best window of opportunity for the most teams willing to take a high risk, but high reward opportunity.

It'll be fun to watch!      By the way,   below I've linked a chart with all the picks listed so you can take a look for yourselves....

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Taking a look at which teams have which picks in the draft,  I've got a hunch,  a 12 player window where I think he gets drafted.

It starts toward the bottom of R3 and lasts to the first few picks of R4.....    here they are...

90   Sea

91   NE

92   Ari

93   Car

94   Den

95   Det      Comp pick -- can't be traded

96   NE       Comp pick -- can't be traded

97   Sea     Comp pick -- can't be traded

98   Den     Comp pick -- can't be traded

------------    End of R3

99     Cle

100   Cle

101   Dal

So....     in those 12 picks,  here's what you have....    Seattle (twice, one a comp pick),  NE (twice, one a comp pick)  Denver (twice, one a comp pick) and Cleve (twice).... 

Also in the group here are Arizona,  Carolina,  Detroit,  and Dallas.    

Feels like there are way too many franchises that are willing to take risks in this 12-player window.    Feels like if Smith gets past this 12-pick window,  these eight teams will likely not get another shot at him until much later in R4 and by then,  some other team would've gotten him.    So, this feels like the best window of opportunity for the most teams willing to take a high risk, but high reward opportunity.

It'll be fun to watch!      By the way,   below I've linked a chart with all the picks listed so you can take a look for yourselves....

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Off topic, but I thought compensatory picks could now be traded.

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

Off topic, but I thought compensatory picks could now be traded.

The decision was announced this year,  but I believe it goes into effect next year.

That's my understanding at least.     If I'm wrong,  I'm sure it'll get corrected here....

I'm not going to guess a range because it has so much to do with medical evals I have no access to, but I believe it will be someone with either an almost complete roster (no glaring needs), or someone with a surplus of picks.  It also needs a GM who is nowhere near the hot seat.  I'm worried about the Titans getting him.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I'm wrong,  I'm sure it'll get corrected here....

Of that you can be certain.

On topic, I would need to hear what the doctors that have examined him have said.  If they feel he will just be out a year and then with as much certainty as they can give that Jaylon will be able to regain his ability, then probably a 4th round pick.  Otherwise, probably a 7th round flyer.

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm guessing no later than the end of round 5

I totally agree. Unless you have riches at the LB position and can afford to wait at least 2 years (one for sitting the entire season and another for development assuming quick learning from him), I don't think he is worth the gamble till rounds 6 or later.

Definitely not with the Colts, unless we gather 2 or 3 picks and then take a flier in rounds 6 or later.

Foot drop and nerve damage are serious things.  It doesn't really matter how he played before the injury.  It only matters how he plays after the injury, and right now he can't even walk properly because of nerve damage.

This isn't a typical ACL where the player just needs to rehab.

All things considered....Jaylon looks pretty good here (in shorts)  but it's only 3.5 months post injury..... 6 inches of nerve that was STRETCHED not severed, is recovering at 1 inch per month.....  I'd draft this guy, and probably hit a home run.....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2016/04/25/jaylon-smith-nfl-draft-notre-dame-injury-recovery/83489188/

11 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

It's so sad that this injury came from a late and unnecessary hit from an OSU player 

Late and unnecessary? The play was still live, I believe it was Decker was doing his job of continually blocking Smith even during the fumble. It was unfortunate for Smith, but there was nothing late or unnecessary from what happened to Smith.

5 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Late and unnecessary? The play was still live, I believe it was Decker was doing his job of continually blocking Smith even during the fumble. It was unfortunate for Smith, but there was nothing late or unnecessary from what happened to Smith.

It was very unnecessary smith was out of the play completely and was hit again by decker but your a OSU fan I wouldn't expect any different point of view 

25 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

It was very unnecessary smith was out of the play completely and was hit again by decker but your a OSU fan I wouldn't expect any different point of view 

Football is played until the whistle blows.    It was unfortunate,    but decker didn't do anything wrong.      And I'm a die hard Notre Dame fan

On 4/25/2016 at 3:28 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

Out of the play?? haha Smith was within 5 yards of the ball and the play was still live.. Decker did what EVERY football player is supposed to do, play until the whistle.

I'm sure you would be complaining* if one of our OL stopped blocking because he knocked his guy down and that guy got back up took Luck out. 

Here are two NEW TEAMS for consideration.       About 20 spots higher than I predicted.

This comes from an ESPN article,  so I'm just cutting and pasting....

The teams are Tennessee and Cleveland,  both who have extra picks and the area is in the mid-70's....

The Notre Dame linebacker was looking like a top-10 pick before suffering a career-threatening knee injury in his final college game. An insurance policy will pay $700,000 to Smith if he is not a first-round pick, plus $100,000 for every additional pick that passes without a team selecting him. The policy maxes out at $5 million. New England does not pick in the first round, which means Smith would collect the full $5 million if he remains undrafted past the 74th choice, held by Tampa Bay.

Oakland picks 75th, but California's income tax will take an additional bite from Smith's rookie contract if the Raiders select him in that slot. The Titans hold the 76th choice, acquired from Los Angeles, and there is no state income tax in Tennessee. The Titans also own six picks in the first three rounds, which could make it easier for them to justify selecting a player with serious medical question marks.

Cleveland, which holds the 77th choice, is also flush with extra selections (12 in all, including eight in the third through fifth rounds). Ohio does have a state income tax, however.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 3:29 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Round 4. I wouldn't risk picking him in the first 3 rounds with so much talent still on the Board. After your first 3 picks which are very important maybe then take a gamble on doing different stuff. Or if you have 2 3rd Round picks maybe use the 2nd one on him??

I completely agree, and I wouldn't mind us spending our 4th on him.  Sad to see for him though, such a great player.