The Twitter 100 - Sports Illustrated

Backwards ... and forward - Chat Redskins

What does it mean to be a captain? - eckert Axiom

Redskins can learn from 49ers - Homer McFanboy<p>

more news

• Follow Post Sports on Facebook

• Subscribe to the Redskins newsletter

• Get sports e-mail alerts

• For breaking Redskins news, text “REDSKINS” to 98999.

• For breaking sports news alerts, text “SPORTS” to 98999.

twitter lists

Follow Cindy and her ever-changing lists (see above) at:

sports links

Posted at 08:34 AM ET, 01/19/2012

Rob Lowe: Peyton Manning tweet came from ‘pretty darn good source’

By Cindy Boren

Peyton-Manning019--296x207.jpg?uuid=VHFYtiJxEeGH0V5USPQV3g

View Photo Gallery: Rob Lowe’s tweet about Peyton Manning missed it by this much...

What was Rob Lowe thinking when he sent that tweet, the one about, you know, Peyton Manning retiring?

Because Lowe is a big fan of the Indianapolis Colts and Peyton Manning and has connections to the team, the player and owner Jim Irsay, it had to be checked out — even as it was spawning Twitter trends.

Archie Manning, Peyton’s father, quickly put the kibosh on the report, telling ESPN’s Chris Mortensen: “Noooo...he ain’t retiring,” <a href="https://twitter.com/#%21/mortreport/status/159744774889406465" target="_blank">Manning said. “I think he would’ve told me.” Agent Tom Condon said the same thing.

Lowe, reached by Rich Eisen of the NFL Network, wasn’t publicly divulging his source, saying only that it was “absolutely not” Irsay. Entertainingly Twitterquacious, Irsay, whose first follow on Twitter was Lowe, is in the midst of rebuilding the Colts and was oddly silent for a while Wednesday, further fueling the fire. “It wasn’t Jim or anyone close to Jim,”

Lowe told Eisen. He added that he heard it from “a pretty darn good source.”

Lowe said he merely tweeted as a fan and wanted to “let the professionals see what’s true or not.” Later Wednesday, Irsay responded, sort of, with a tweet-jab about Lowe’s next project.

It seemed extraordinarily unlikely from the outset. For one thing, Irsay and General Manager Ryan Grigson had said only Tuesday, at a press conference in which they discussed the firing of coach Jim Caldwell, that Peyton Manning was continuing to rehab from his neck surgery, that no one is close to making an evaluation yet. Archie Manning has repeatedly said the same thing about his middle son’s recovery.

And it seemed impossible that Peyton Manning would drop this bombshell just days before his younger brother plays in the NFC Championship game. It defied belief that Peyton Manning would drop this bombshell on the NFL in the the two weeks leading up to the three biggest games of its season. That just isn’t how Peyton Manning works. Still, in spite of the tweet’s improbability, journalists check these things out, particularly when they concern the NFL’s marquee player of his generation, the guy whose future in football is very much uncertain.

The difference now is that everyone is along for the ride.

I know. He said that on the Ellen show as well. If Peyton does retire in a couple months does Lowe still get credit for breaking the story? LOL

This kinda reminds me of when the news broke about peyton's 3rd surgery, at first everyone laughed off the notion that he was out for the year.. same kinda mob thinking going on here. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is substantiated before long.

This kinda reminds me of when the news broke about peyton's 3rd surgery, at first everyone laughed off the notion that he was out for the year.. same kinda mob thinking going on here. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is substantiated before long.

Exactly. Anyone else out there notice that Peyton has remained silent about Rob Lowes statement?

I know what you mean. Signs are starting to point that way from the way Grigson brushed off any Peyton questions to the way the whole Jim Caldwell release went down. Jim was in and then all the sudden he was out like the FO found out some breaking news that changed their future outlook.

I agree. I was listening to JMV today and he said that Irsay has not denied this news at all. Yes, he made a smart remark about it on twitter but no denials. Where theres smoke the is usually fire and it would not surprise me at all if this turns out to be true.

I said it IMMEDIATELY after the last surgery in September. Will that make me a genius if he actually does retire? My sources were my instinct. I will give them all the praise in the world if it happens.

pretty darn good sources.

Your instincts were rooted in logic. It's been said the whole time though, "can he play again"? My guess is that if he wasn't close enough to practice 7 weeks ago, he's not going to be close enough to be paid 30 million in 7 weeks. Pro Football is not particularly nice to concerns of legacy and status, heck most guys are happy to play 2 or 3 years. Sucks.

I agree. I was listening to JMV today and he said that Irsay has not denied this news at all. Yes, he made a smart remark about it on twitter but no denials. Where theres smoke the is usually fire and it would not surprise me at all if this turns out to be true.

Good point. I never even thought about the fact that Irsay should have just said "I've heard nothing about Peyton retiring".

I find the whole thing hilarious! Everyone was going NUTS over Rob Lowe's tweet.... As if ROB LOWE is an authority on anything football! I met Peyton Manning once at his children's hospital... does that make me an authority on all things Manning? I'll be Rob Lowe's source for the right price!

I think your missing the big picture here. As I mentioned before Rob Lowe and Peyton Manning have the same agency...

I still dont buy it but I can buy Manning not telling his dad or brother at this point with Eli still in the playoff hunt. There would be no reason to cause a distraction or possibly take away from Eli's run.

Im pretty sure Peyton would wait until after the playoffs anyways to announce it just not to take away the media from focusing on the playoffs.

hopefully this is just speculation.

Irsay LOVES to shoot down other rumors from the press. Lowe is his friend, but if there was nothing behind it he still would have denied it.

really good chance Peyton is done. I've moved on, anyone else? getting my #12 jersey printed in the summer during training camp (just in case he bails out on Indy in April).

I still dont buy it but I can buy Manning not telling his dad or brother at this point with Eli still in the playoff hunt. There would be no reason to cause a distraction or possibly take away from Eli's run.

Im pretty sure Peyton would wait until after the playoffs anyways to announce it just not to take away the media from focusing on the playoffs.

hopefully this is just speculation.

Don't you think that neither Irsay nor Peyton has denied this is a little suspicious... Add all the $$$$$$$$ to the equation too.

Don't you think that neither Irsay nor Peyton has denied this is a little suspicious... Add all the $$$$$$$$ to the equation too.

Well thats why, despite the fact im not necessarily buying it still, I wouldnt be 100% shocked if it happened.

Another minor thing I just thought of. All the HC candidates the Colts are interviewing right now are up and comers with no HC experience. Does that tell you they are thinking outside the box or does that say that they know they are in complete rebuild mode(without Peyton) and they want to start fresh with a guy that's just a coordinator so he can grow with the team and possibly be here long term? I think a lot of your big name coaches will want to win right away or at least soon.

Irsay's joke was him shooting down the rumor. Kinda like the rumor came from such a bizarre source, at a bizarre time(Peyton's evaluation coming up soon, why retire before then?) that he didn't feel like he had to officially deny the rumor directly. Instead he makes a joke of it.

In these times, your gonna do yourself a favor if you wait for the news to come from the horse's mouth.

You know, many times when you carry on something - even to deny it or make "no comment" - you are still giving it airtime and continuation. Maybe Peyton and Irsay both want it to go away, especially with the other Colts news happening and with the big stuff with Eli and the GIants.

I am sure Peyton is sick and tired of talking about his neck.

:dunno:

I know what you mean. Signs are starting to point that way from the way Grigson brushed off any Peyton questions to the way the whole Jim Caldwell release went down. Jim was in and then all the sudden he was out like the FO found out some breaking news that changed their future outlook.

That's exactly how I read it. I lot of Irsay's comments (or his non-comments about Peyton) strongly reinforce the idea that they are planning on moving forward without him - including the total dismissal by Grigson of the thought that keeping the offensive coaches and schemes in place for Peyton's benefit is even a consideration. I find it hard to believe that Peyton has given up - we may not know for sure what's going on for a long time - but it sure seems like they are preparing for life without him. And this conclusion was apparently reached between the Spagnolo interview and the following morning. "Yeah, he's a wonderful man and great coach, we talked football for seven hours, and then sat down together to try and hire a new defensive co-ordinator to work under him, and then I fired him".

OOOOOOOOOKay then.

Certainly makes you wonder if someone got a phone call about Peyton.

Perhaps from Rob Lowe :D