Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts schedule workout with USC LB Su'a Cravens

Interesting. Wonder how we'd use him and where he'd play? He's what? 6'1, 230? I think he would be alright at ILB next to DQ. He'd finally give us that playmaking, sideline to sideline ILB who can actually cover backs and TE's. So IMO, I like him as an ILB. We already have Geathers as (hopefully) our SS of the future.

The league is valuing LBs like him more and more. He will be over drafted, IMO but he is worth a second rounder if we choose to go that route, I am not going to complain.

The league is a copycat league. Smaller DL that can shoot gaps, LBs that can cover, that is the trend right now, and once teams go back to pounding the rock efficiently in the run game against such personnel, they will value bigger DL and bigger LBs again. The true depth of a team however has to be filled with different personnel that can play different styles, whether it is on offense or defense. 

Cravens is one of my favorite players in the draft but in my opinion do to his size and I'd bet some teams really being indecisive about where he will best fit slide a bit further then I think his skill and instincts say he should (Though there are defensive a few defensive coordinators who would know just where to put him).

He reminds me a little bit of Dion Bailey in that he is a capable playmaker anywhere from Sam to Will Linebacker and Nickel and Safety and both have good hands. Cravens instincts are a bit better.

I think he is there in the 3rd round.....Bengals, Steelers, Seahawks, Raiders are the 4 teams I'm lookin at for him with him landing on the Raiders. I'd like to have him but I don't think we have a chance after the 1st and I would not spend our 1st on him

3 hours ago, Gavin said:

Cravens is one of my favorite players in the draft but in my opinion do to his size and I'd bet some teams really being indecisive about where he will best fit slide a bit further then I think his skill and instincts say he should (Though there are defensive a few defensive coordinators who would know just where to put him).

He reminds me a little bit of Dion Bailey in that he is a capable playmaker anywhere from Sam to Will Linebacker and Nickel and Safety and both have good hands. Cravens instincts are a bit better.

I think he is there in the 3rd round.....Bengals, Steelers, Seahawks, Raiders are the 4 teams I'm lookin at for him with him landing on the Raiders. I'd like to have him but I don't think we have a chance after the 1st and I would not spend our 1st on him

Did you make a typo? Wouldn't the bolded suggest we could get him in the 2nd?

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

LOL that confused me too. I was like....Ok so why couldn't we get him in the 2nd? LOL. Na he was probably on his phone or in a hurry or something. Gavin knows his stuff.

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would not spent a 1st round pick on him. Yes we could get him in the 2nd round but I think he is a 3rd round talent......So if he is there in the 3rd and the Colts have him as there BPA then get him in the 3rd. I think in the first 2 rounds we can get a better player.....And I really like him. Now I certainly would not flip if we took him at 48 but I'd draft a couple players before him in the 2nd

1 minute ago, Gavin said:

I would not spent a 1st round pick on him. Yes we could get him in the 2nd round but I think he is a 3rd round talent......So if he is there in the 3rd and the Colts have him as there BPA then get him in the 3rd. I think in the first 2 rounds we can get a better player.....And I really like him. Now I certainly would not flip if we took him at 48 but I'd draft a couple players before him in the 2nd

That's fair enough. Just making sure I understand you.

I think this guy is too athletic to be limited to a Line Backing or Box Safety type of thing.  He's got Ed Reed type athleticism to me.  I see no reason why he couldn't be a true FS.  I like him in that role, go get somebody like Killebrew for all that hybrid stuff.  Cravens can do that type of thing yes, but he's more of an Ed Reed type to me.

On 3/24/2016 at 4:06 PM, COLTS449 said:

Interesting. Wonder how we'd use him and where he'd play? He's what? 6'1, 230? I think he would be alright at ILB next to DQ. He'd finally give us that playmaking, sideline to sideline ILB who can actually cover backs and TE's. So IMO, I like him as an ILB. We already have Geathers as (hopefully) our SS of the future.

I think I tend to like him at ILB as well, although I have some questions in my mind about defending the run.  He'd be fine in coverage for sure.

The speed really does not worry me. His football speed is fine, and he makes up for it with instincts. This hybrid safety/LB role is growing in importance. I think he would be perfect for us. It is not a good comparison, but the kid from FS, who is projected in the top 3, he played LB, CB, and safety for Florida State. Cravens would give us a little of that flexiblility, and I think he would be a really good FS, who could also shadow some of the bigger guys who line up in the slot once they get 10 yds. downfield. Definitely would be a good pick.