Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Besides QB, FB, K and P...

4 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

We could use some help all over the field at just about every position besides QB, FB, K and P.

With that in mind, our 1st round pick is kind of a "can't miss" pick.

Besides QB, FB, K and P, is there any position you would be upset with the Colts drafting in the 1st round?

WR! 

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

I would be upset if we selected another WR in the first round.

3 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

WR! 

I can see that.  We would basically be drafting, at best, a WR3.  Which is exactly what we did last year.  I remember Detroit banging their head against the WR wall for years. 

We do have Luck though.  He might not be the WR-star-maker that Manning was, but we're one injury away from that WR3 becoming a WR2... and if that WR is a red-zone stud, well then, I'd be OK with it.  We need a red-zone threat besides Allen and Moncrief.

1 minute ago, NorthernBlue said:

RB and Interior Oline (I wouldn't mind a tackle but we shouldn't get a guard or centre since the value for those positions is good in rounds 2-5)

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

I would hate for us to reach and I do not think there is a first round C, G, or S that would be worth us taking.  Not graded as a value 1st round pick anyways at #18. 

Yeah, a G or C would really have to justify using #18 on them, but if the right player is there, we need the help.

18 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I can see that.  We would basically be drafting, at best, a WR3.  Which is exactly what we did last year.  I remember Detroit banging their head against the WR wall for years. 

We do have Luck though.  He might not be the WR-star-maker that Manning was, but we're one injury away from that WR3 becoming a WR2... and if that WR is a red-zone stud, well then, I'd be OK with it.  We need a red-zone threat besides Allen and Moncrief.

To be honest LCF, my response was a little sarcasm mixed with a lot of humor. :) 

Just forgot to put a haha and/or :) behind the WR!

Seriously though, you've got a good point. You want to take BPA while filling the gaps. Sometimes that's better said than done. However, and once again to be honest, it could be any number of selections as you've suggested that can get plugged into the 18. 

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

We could use some help all over the field at just about every position besides QB, FB, K and P.

With that in mind, our 1st round pick is kind of a "can't miss" pick.

Besides QB, FB, K and P, is there any position you would be upset with the Colts drafting in the 1st round?

Long snapper...

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm just curious.  If there is one "elite" player left on our board when we pick at #18, and it is a WR, RB, or TE, do you take that "elite" player, or trade down for "good" player that fills a need?

So in other words, would I draft Elliot if he's available?  No, I wouldn't.  From what I've been reading, Hunter Henry is the only TE with a 1st round grade and I find it very hard to believe that he would be THAT much better than the best player available at another position.  As for WR...pretty much the same as TE...I doubt that the best WR available when the Colts draft will be THAT much better than the best DL, OLB, ILB, CB etc.

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm just curious.  If there is one "elite" player left on our board when we pick at #18, and it is a WR, RB, or TE, do you take that "elite" player, or trade down for "good" player that fills a need?

You can only trade down if the guy you have your eye on can be had at the new position. So you take the elite player unless it is a guarantee you can get the guy you would have taken at eighteen (if the elite player didn't Fall) to the position you traded to.  To do anything else would mean you lost one of two worthy (Elite / Very Good) players in order to get a couple 'good' ones later.  I don't see logic in letting other teams have Elite and Very Good players while your team stocks up with a mass quantity of merely 'good' players.

1 minute ago, Jason_S said:

So in other words, would I draft Elliot if he's available?  No, I wouldn't.  From what I've been reading, Hunter Henry is the only TE with a 1st round grade and I find it very hard to believe that he would be THAT much better than the best player available at another position.  As for WR...pretty much the same as TE...I doubt that the best WR available when the Colts draft will be THAT much better than the best DL, OLB, ILB, CB etc.

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

You can only trade down if the guy you have your eye on can be had at the new position. So you take the elite player unless it is a guarantee you can get the guy yo would take at eighteen (if the elite players didn't Fall) to the position you traded at.  To do anything else would mean you lost two worthy players in order to get a couple 'good' ones later.  I don't see logic in letting other teams have Elite and Very Good players while your team stocks up with a mass quantity of merely 'good' players.

I was just curious.  Last year, it seemed like we could've traded down for a position of need, but we went with the "elite" player that was still left on the board (Dorsett).

We could probably do the same this year.  Maybe a guy like Elliot is available at #18, but do we take the elite skill player, or trade down for a position of need?

I'd say it's a win-win situation.  There isn't as much pressure to "hit" on the 1st round pick as, say, the Titans or Browns...