Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brock a Texan?

Nesjan3

Word is Broncos have offered him 3 years 45 mil 15 a year avg which is below the avg that starting qbs make, if he doesnt accept by wednesday he will hit the open market and Rappaport says Cleveland and Texans will be the front runners to try and haggle him out of the Broncos hands, what are peoples opinions if he became the Texans starter? good or bad for us?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

hes only played in what 5 games? and he wants more then 15m? 

teams like the Texans and Browns even the Rams are in desperate need of a QB, guaranteed his agent is in his ear saying he got low balled and he is probably right

26 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

teams like the Texans and Browns even the Rams are in desperate need of a QB, guaranteed his agent is in his saying he got low balled and he is probably right

15m is in no way lowi ballng him especially since hes barely played. even 15m is overpaying imo

2 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

teams like the Texans and Browns even the Rams are in desperate need of a QB, guaranteed his agent is in his ear saying he got low balled and he is probably right

How is he getting "low balled" with a $45 million deal over 3 years? He has barely done anything in the league. This might be more of a head-scratcher than the Sam Bradford deal.

I can understand the Broncos over-paying to keep their own player, but Osweiler has not shown anything to merit more money from other teams. 

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

How is he getting "low balled" with a $45 million deal over 3 years? He has barely done anything in the league. This might be more of a head-scratcher than the Sam Bradford deal.

I can understand the Broncos over-paying to keep their own player, but Osweiler has not shown anything to merit more money from other teams. 

because as someone stated above you are worth what the market will pay him, watch when wednesday rolls around and the Brown Texans and Rams will probably be offering upwards of 18 mil the same Bradford and Cousins got, and one can argue he is just as good as those two plus younger with more potential..

To me 15 Mill a year is about right for him. He is not being low-balled, that is agent talk. I honestly don't think he is worth more than that and if the Texans end up with him I am ok with it. He isn't better than Andrew and to me I am not even sure one can put him in one of the 3 = Good/Very Good/Great categories. He is Above Average to me with having Good potential. He has what 7 starts and no Playoff experience as a starter? Broncos would not have beat the Patriots IMO with him at starter in that Playoff game.

1 minute ago, QwizBoy said:

I saw this too. If Manning doesn't retire, I think it's safe to say Brock will be given the opportunity to be a starter somewhere.

Would you like the Texans to sign him at $18 million/year?

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To me 15 Mill a year is about right for him. He is not being low-balled, that is agent talk. I honestly don't think he is worth more than that and if the Texans end up with him I am ok with it. He isn't better than Andrew and to me I am not even sure one can put him in one of the 3 = Good/Very/Great categories. He is Above Average to me with having Good potential. He has what 7 starts and no Playoff experience as a starter? Broncos would not have beat the Patriots IMO with him at starter in that Playoff game.

I mostly agree with you but I think $15 million is too much. I have to check Spotrac to see what average quarterbacks are getting. To me he is not better than an average quarterback. 

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Would you like the Texans to sign him at $18 million/year?

At this point, I think it would be worth it. I like Robert Griffin, but Im not sure how he would fare behind this o-line. They are the only two QBs I'm interested in on the market. I would like it if our FO took a chance on him. 

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I mostly agree with you but I think $15 million is too much. I have to check Spotrac to see what average quarterbacks are getting. To me he is not better than an average quarterback. 

Yeah I almost put him in the Average category but do give him some credit for how he played in this past seasons Regular Season. He was decent at times so I went Above Average haha Yeah I am not even sure if I would pay him 15 a year either.

24 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

At this point, I think it would be worth it. I like Robert Griffin, but Im not sure how he would fare behind this o-line. They are the only two QBs I'm interested in on the market. I would like it if our FO took a chance on him. 

Do you have a lot of free agents to re-sign? $18 million is a large chunk of your cap space. I think RG3 at a much lower cost would be better. 

We don't have any high-priced free agents to re-sign but we have many complementary players that are free agents. To free up enough money to sign most of them and other free agents like Bengal safety George Iloka (Vikings fans' biggest wish beside O line), we may have to cut or restructure some of our pricier players like Mike Wallace and Matt Kalil. And this is with Teddy making only $2 million or so. Imagine if he were making $15 million or more. Thankfully we have him at a lower cost for a couple more years. 

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I almost put him in the Average category but do give him some credit for how he played in this past seasons Regular Season. He was decent at times so I went Above Average haha Yeah I am not even sure if I would pay him 15 a year either.

Any quarterback can be decent for a few games. Even Gino Smith had a few very good games in his mediocre career, including one with a "perfect" QB rating against a top Miami defense. Ryan Fitzpatrick had a better year than Brock. Fitz is older, I know, but if Brock gets $18 million, should Fitz get $20 million?

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Any quarterback can be decent for a few games. Even Gino Smith had a few very good games in his mediocre career, including one with a "perfect" QB rating against a top Miami defense. Ryan Fitzpatrick had a better year than Brock. Fitz is older, I know, but if Brock gets $18 million, should Fitz get $20 million?

I actually think Fitz is better. I know what you are saying. Many think Brock is the 2nd coming for some reason and would've won the SB had he played which I have never agreed with. So it's not like I am defending him. Like I have said I wouldn't even say he is Good, it is debatable is all I am saying whether or not he is better than Average though. To me because he only has 7 starts, 15 Mill a year may even be too much like you said. I definitely wouldn't pay him more than that.

14 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I know Fitz only made what, a little over a 3 Mill last season? It's just because he has been moved from team to team over the years and he is old. Reason why I would pay Brock more than Fitz is because of his age and potential but 15 Mill a year is steep I agree.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know Fitz only made what, a little over a 3 Mill last season? It's just because he has been moved from team to team over the years and he is old. Reason why I would pay Brock more than Fitz is because of his age and potential but 15 Mill a year is steep I agree.

Fitz had a very solid year. I gained a lot of respect for him. The guy is a leader. The Jets must bring him back. Brandon Marshall will not be happy if Fitz is not re-signed. haha You don't want a disgruntled WR on the team.

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Fitz had a very solid year. I gained a lot of respect for him. The guy is a leader. The Jets must bring him back. Brandon Marshall will not be happy if Fitz is not re-signed. haha You don't want a disgruntled WR on the team.

I have always thought Fitz has gotten a raw deal every where he has been. He has always been underrated. Jets should bring him back, I agree. He was definitely better than Average last season.

4 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Word is Broncos have offered him 3 years 45 mil 15 a year avg which is below the avg that starting qbs make, if he doesnt accept by wednesday he will hit the open market and Rappaport says Cleveland and Texans will be the front runners to try and haggle him out of the Broncos hands, what are peoples opinions if he became the Texans starter? good or bad for us?

Brock should sign the deal he's being offered...good money and a team that knows him..

He's almost perfect for Kubiak's system

19 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

If I'm Houston ...I'd rather have Peyton than Brock

If I was Houston I definitely wouldn't pay Brock more than 15 Mill but they may be dumb enough to do it because they have been in desperate need for a potentially Good QB for a long time it seems. I was surprised they let Fitz go actually when they had him. Other than Fitz they have had some Bad QB's since Schaub played well back in 2012.

it will be a career killer for Brock. Brock just reminds me of one of those players who dont succeed out of the team that breeded him. Like Matt Cassell or Flynn. I, in general....dont see anyone succeeding with the Texans in general just by the way they coach their QBs.

Luck is great but i dont think that great qbs coach themselves, they need to be put in a team that can coach the qbs too.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Man I would hate to see Peyton go there though. They are in our Division and a team I just cant root for to do well at any time. I had no problem with Peyton playing in Denver, they were easy for me too root for when they didn't play the Colts because they weren't in our Division. Of course I don't have a dislike for Elway either like some do because I wasn't a Colts fan when they were in Baltimore. Because of Peyton, Denver was like my 2nd team since 2012 behind the Colts.

52 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Man I would hate to see Peyton go there though. They are in our Division and a team I just cant root for to do well at any time. I had no problem with Peyton playing in Denver, they were easy for me too root for when they didn't play the Colts because they weren't in our Division. Of course I don't have a dislike for Elway either like some do because I wasn't a Colts fan when they were in Baltimore. Because of Peyton, Denver was like my 2nd team since 2012 behind the Colts.

I agree....100%

Its makes sense for Peyton to go to Houston..but I dont want to see Peyton vs. Andrew twice next year.

I think the Rams are a better fit because the Rams need him off the field as well as on the field

57 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I agree....100%

Its makes sense for Peyton to go to Houston..but I dont want to see Peyton vs. Andrew twice next year.

I think the Rams are a better fit because the Rams need him off the field as well as on the field

Didn't he once say he's not go to an NFC team because of Eli or am I'm going nuts?

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Do you have a lot of free agents to re-sign? $18 million is a large chunk of your cap space. I think RG3 at a much lower cost would be better. 

We don't have any high-priced free agents to re-sign but we have many complementary players that are free agents. To free up enough money to sign most of them and other free agents like Bengal safety George Iloka (Vikings fans' biggest wish beside O line), we may have to cut or restructure some of our pricier players like Mike Wallace and Matt Kalil. And this is with Teddy making only $2 million or so. Imagine if he were making $15 million or more. Thankfully we have him at a lower cost for a couple more years. 

I would love to see RG here myself, but it that ends up being the case, we have to address the line in free agency and even the draft. Have some guys compete and get the best ones out there. 

And yeah, that rookie contract is always a blessing for teams looking to win early with a capable young QB. I have seen a mock where one of the stud safeties in the draft is selected by the Vikes. But having a savvy and experienced player like Iloka or maybe even Weddle would probably be preferable.

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Why pick up an aged Manning and hope he can last a whole season rather than going after a young, seemingly able guy who could be the starter for a long time? If the Texans don't go after a young guy in free agency I think the Draft is the next obvious step. McNair didn't want Manning after his neck surgery, unfortunately, and I don't think he'll want him now either.

57 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Why pick up an aged Manning and hope he can last a whole season rather than going after a young, seemingly able guy who could be the starter for a long time? If the Texans don't go after a young guy in free agency I think the Draft is the next obvious step. McNair didn't want Manning after his neck surgery, unfortunately, and I don't think he'll want him now either.

Wasn't it Kubiak that didn't want Manning? After this year in Denver I can see why. Kubiak won't change his system too much, even for the GOAT. 

7 minutes ago, 19colt said:

Wasn't it Kubiak that didn't want Manning? After this year in Denver I can see why. Kubiak won't change his system too much, even for the GOAT. 

Kubiak is far from a Great Coach IMO, he was lucky he inherited arguably a Top 5 Defense of all-time and the smartest QB ever to play the game as well. I would take Pagano over Kubiak if that tells you anything LOL.

13 hours ago, CR91 said:

15m is in no way lowi ballng him especially since hes barely played. even 15m is overpaying imo

It doesn't matter if you think that is overpaying him, the NFL QB market says otherwise.  When this all said and done Osweiler will be in Denver with a contract that will approximate the annual average of what Bradford got - which is in the $18 million per year range.

8 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

That is not what a single NFL GM would think at this stage of their respective careers.  NOT A SINGLE ONE.

An the point is moot with the news that Manning will retire tomorrow.

24 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

It doesn't matter if you think that is overpaying him, the NFL QB market says otherwise.  When this all said and done Osweiler will be in Denver with a contract that will approximate the annual average of what Bradford got - which is in the $18 million per year range.

I understand that, but it's ridiculous how short term and Bradford's mediocre play gets rewarded

19 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I understand that, but it's ridiculous how short term and Bradford's mediocre play gets rewarded

If you understand that then why take this position?  That is the going rate of what a middle-of-the-road NFL QB gets paid.

Bradford's deal is decent for both sides.  Bradford gets paid commiserate with what his caliber starting NFL QB's get and the Eagles can get out of it after only 2 years.