Bengals Floyd LB 

Steelers Smith LB  (steal of the draft)

Seahawks Conklin OT 

Packers Henry TE 

Chiefs Doctson WR 

Broncos Spriggs OT 

Cardinals Calhoun LB 

Panthers Nkemdiche DL 

Colts select Mackenzie Alexander CB Clemson! This kids gonna be special! He's the best CB in this class and the best man cover corner in it!

One other thought.....

I think Alexander is a a very defensive back....   but he may not be tall enough for what most teams prefer in an outside corner,  and that may make him more of a nickel back.     And many teams do not like to spend a #1 on an inside slot corner,  as opposed to an outside corner who might face much taller receivers....

Just thinking out loud.....    and it's very early in the process.

It will be interesting to see how Alexander measures out at the combine.....

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Bosa wont drop that far, and IMO I don't see Baltimore going wide out at 6. They need to get a difference maker on D. Hargreaves, Buckner, Jack, etc

Sure he could.. He's really only going to fit with true 4 man-front defenses as the strong side DE. If he gets past the Cowboys or Jaguars, there is a good possibility he lasts until the Bucs pick. Bosa isn't big enough to be an interior lineman in a 3-4 and he isn't athletic enough to be a stand up LB'er. 

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

One other thought.....

I think Alexander is a a very defensive back....   but he may not be tall enough for what most teams prefer in an outside corner,  and that may make him more of a nickel back.     And many teams do not like to spend a #1 on an inside slot corner,  as opposed to an outside corner who might face much taller receivers....

Alexander is listed at 5'11. If he's anything above 5'10 at the Combine he's plenty tall enough to be an outside corner. However, he's mainly a zone corner with the ability to play off-man, so I'm not sure he's what our coaches are looking for.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

One other thought.....

He's the same height as Vontae and looks a little faster. Don't think he'll have any problem lining up outside in the NFL. 

1 minute ago, SP_21 said:

He's the same height as Vontae and looks a little faster. Don't think he'll have any problem lining up outside in the NFL. 

He's the same height as Vonte IF YOU BELIEVE the published height for him.    I rarely do.

A free tip:    Never believe reported heights and weights.      Believe only the real tape and scale.

When they get measured at the Senior Bowl and the Combine THEN you can believe it.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

He's the same height as Vonte IF YOU BELIEVE the published height for him.    I rarely do.

A free tip:    Never believe reported heights and weights.      Believe only the real tape and scale.

When they get measured at the Senior Bowl and the Combine THEN you can believe it.

Give or take an inch and it really won't make a difference. The guys not 5'6...

15 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Give or take an inch and it really won't make a difference. The guys not 5'6...

It really won't make a difference to who?      Maybe not a fan, but to NFL teams it can.

Some teams like their corners 6' and up...    some are willing to go to 5'11...

Not as many are willing to take one at 5'10.    Many teams will move 5'10 and under to the slot/inside and not have them on the outside.  

There's not set formula.    Each team is different.    It depends on the preference each has....

I don't think CB is as big a need as some people make it out to be. Yes Toler is bad and won't be re-signed, but we have Vontae, Butler, and Smith. Plus fixing the pass rush will help the secondary. 

Thats T a why we need an edge player in the first 3 rounds if they don't sign one in FA.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don't think CB is as big a need as some people make it out to be. Yes Toler is bad and won't be re-signed, but we have Vontae, Butler, and Smith. Plus fixing the pass rush will help the secondary. 

Thats T a why we need an edge player in the first 3 rounds if they don't sign one in FA.

Do you think a rookie edge rusher would come in and push Mathis or Walden out of the lineup?

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He looks tiny when I've seen him play. I also don't understand why he has zero career interceptions

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I agree with this. Not to mention the 6th round player Tevin Mitchell we stole from the Redskins. Plus there's a strong likelihood we pick up one of these corners like Johnson, Smith, or Jenkins in FA. Unless the 1st round corner is head and shoulders above everybody else at the time of our pick I don't think it will be necessary to grab a CB in the first.

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

He looks tiny when I've seen him play.  I also don't understand why he has zero career interceptions

Thanks for posting this.    Both sentences are important.

And I meant to post about his zero interceptions.     Two years a starting corner,  and NO ints?!? 

What up with that?!?      It's not like they never threw his way over two years.....     just saying....

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

That would not be a bad lineup if we decided to keep Butler and add Sean Smith for example. Add in an improved Djoun Smith and that should work with an improved front 7 pass rush.

2 hours ago, SP_21 said:

Do you think a rookie edge rusher would come in and push Mathis or Walden out of the lineup?

An early round guy will be raw but he'll have more speed and explosiveness off the edge than an aging Mathis. Floyd, Spence, or Ogbah could come in immediately and get 9.5 just off their raw talent.

Walden is a SAM and mostly just sets the edge. Idk if anyone could knock him out of the lineup. But he might be a cap casultie anyways because of who we have to re-sign.

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

An early round guy will be raw but he'll have more speed and explosiveness off the edge than an aging Mathis. Floyd, Spence, or Ogbah could come in immediately and get 9.5 just off their raw talent.

Walden is a SAM and mostly just sets the edge. Idk if anyone could knock him out of the lineup. But he might be a cap casultie anyways because of who we have to re-sign.

I did think about that scenario with Walden regarding cap

15 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

When you look at what Preston Smith did this season as a rookie pass rusher it is possible.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

We could possibly get Upshaw from the Ravens to play SAM. Or if you want to look at the draft, Jordan Jenkins played SAM at Georgia and could start there in the NFL day 2.

I still keep wondering in my mind if Sio Moore could make a switch over to the SAM. He is pretty adept at rushing the passer and has enough size and length to set the edge. I like Upshaw against the run but not so much against the pass.

7 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Wasn't Preston Smith a guy PFF raved about? 

Me and Dustin liked him quite a bit but for some reason we passed over him. Or the Skins just beat us to the punch. I liked him based on the film. I did not use PFF in my research.

On January 24, 2016 at 8:55 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Didn't we have this same conversation about Darby last year? 

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

Didn't we have this same conversation about Darby last year? 

Yes....   and he was shorter than advertised.....

So,  what's your point?

If your point is...   well Darby turned out to be good,  that was never the issue,  at least not for me.

Only that some teams are very very height sensitive for their corners....   and likely other positions as well.   Some teams are not as height sensitive.     

So,  my two points are....

1.    Don't believe anything except an official measurement taken at the combine....

2.   For some teams,  size/height is very, very important.     But some teams don't care as much about it.   Teams are different.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes....   and he was shorter than advertised.....

So,  what's your point?

If your point is...   well Darby turned out to be good,  that was never the issue,  at least not for me.

Only that some teams are very very height sensitive for their corners....   and likely other positions as well.   Some teams are not as height sensitive.     

So,  my two points are....

1.    Don't believe anything except an official measurement taken at the combine....

2.   For some teams,  size/height is very, very important.     But some teams don't care as much about it.   Teams are different.

As I recall your argument last was we were one of those teams that didn't take CB's under 6'0 when I mocked Darby to us in the 2nd. I still think we had our eye on him. We had him in INDY for a work out. Oh boy would that have changed things if Buffalo hadn't grabbed him. He had some off the field stuff so he might have made it to 61. 

Darby checked out right at 5'11 193lbs pretty much as advertised. No one was saying he was 6'0. He went on the be one of the top players in last years draft just as I suggested. That's last year. 

http://www.hogshaven.com/2015/2/22/8080039/2015-nfl-combine-results-linebacker-measurements

I think the kid from Clemson will hit right at 5'11 around 195. He maybe a 1/4 inch one way or another. I agree don't believe it until you see it but in this case I think he's right about where they claim. I unlike most am not top 20 high on him.

The kid I like should slide a bit.  He broke his leg at the end of the season just proir to the Stanford game then missed the bowl game. Russell from ND.

I saw him going in the 2nd before the injury. Now he missed 2 of ND's biggest games and will likely miss the combine. He sat 2 years ago with eligibility problems but was a key player on the run to the title game 3 years ago as a true freshman. 

He will rely on his pro day. I don't think he will be getting close to a 4.3 as some speculated prior to the injury, not that soon into is recovery. 

He is another one that's 5'11 around 195. He made big plays for the Irish all year closed out a couple of games with INT's. A real beauty vs USC. He's not afraid to stick his nose in there vs the run. I think we it is all said and done he will be one of the better press corners in this draft.

If we could get him at the top of the 4th. It would be a steal. He may not fall that far. Who knows. I could see him slipping it's a deep CB class. 

26 minutes ago, akcolt said:

As I recall your argument last was we were one of those teams that didn't take CB's under 6'0 when I mocked Darby to us in the 2nd. I still think we had our eye on him. We had him in INDY for a work out. Oh boy would that have changed things if Buffalo hadn't grabbed him. He had some off the field stuff so he might have made it to 61. 

Darby checked out right at 5'11 193lbs pretty much as advertised. No one was saying he was 6'0. He went on the be one of the top players in last years draft just as I suggested. That's last year. 

http://www.hogshaven.com/2015/2/22/8080039/2015-nfl-combine-results-linebacker-measurements

I think the kid from Clemson will hit right at 5'11 around 195. He maybe a 1/4 inch one way or another. I agree don't believe it until you see it but in this case I think he's right about where they claim. I unlike most am not top 20 high on him.

The kid I like should slide a bit.  He broke his leg at the end of the season just proir to the Stanford game then missed the bowl game. Russell from ND.

I saw him going in the 2nd before the injury. Now he missed 2 of ND's biggest games and will likely miss the combine. He sat 2 years ago with eligibility problems but was a key player on the run to the title game 3 years ago as a true freshman. 

He will rely on his pro day. I don't think he will be getting close to a 4.3 as some speculated prior to the injury, not that soon into is recovery. 

He is another one that's 5'11 around 195. He made big plays for the Irish all year closed out a couple of games with INT's. A real beauty vs USC. He's not afraid to stick his nose in there vs the run. I think we it is all said and done he will be one of the better press corners in this draft.

If we could get him at the top of the 4th. It would be a steal. He may not fall that far. Who knows. I could see him slipping it's a deep CB class. 

I'm afraid the list of heights from the combine is NOT very reliable.    Please notice that EVERY SINGLE corner is somehow magically EXACTLY an even inch.     They're ALL 5'9' or 5'10" or 5'11" or 6'0"  and so on.    They have a "0" where the 8th of an inch column lies.

No one has a breakdown of an 8th of an inch which what ALL players get at the combine.    So, for whatever reason,  all the measurements have been rounded UP or DOWN.     They may have gotten them from NFL.com       

For some reason,  the NFL.com USED TO LIST all heights in terms of an 8th of an inch,  but they mysteriously stopped last year.     But ESPN still does list all of the players by the 8th of an inch.

I'm now cutting and pasting Darby's height from ESPN.com.    As you can see Darby is 5'10 and 5/8ths, just as I noted he was.      I can't write 5/8ths the way ESPN.com can.    That's your assurance that I haven't made this up.     ESPN's version does NOT look like MY version.

Ronald Darby

CB

Junior

5-10⅝, 193 lbs

Florida St

Now, for whatever reason,  when we took D'Joun Smith,  he was listed as 5'10" by ESPN from the combine.    No extra 8th's of an inch.   5'10 EVEN.

Yet, if you look at Colts.com,  the team lists him at 5'11".     We've padded him UP a full inch.      It's either a typo,  or we're fudging a bit for whatever reason.

Perhaps we're willing to take a shorter corner to play the slot?     Or, perhaps we're willing to take a shorter corner if we like their performance enough?     I don't know?     I'm just sharing with you what I know.....

4 hours ago, akcolt said:

We need a couple "Bargain hits"! lol