Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns to hire Hue Jackson as HC

MTC

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's too bad for Hue. Both times he's been a head coach, it's been with a dysfunctional organization.

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

They better get him a QB with that 2nd overall pick 

Would have to assume the Browns will draft Goff and potentially have Josh Gordon back.

The future could look bright.

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yeah,  a few years ago Pettine was a hot % coordinator that a bunch of people wanted.  Now that he failed in Cleveland (like every other coach)  He is a terrible coach

He wasn't a hot coordinator. No one else interviewed him besides the Browns. 

Browns hired him because they couldn't get any of their top guys.

The Browns is fast becoming one of the biggest coaching challenges of all time, anyone who can sustain any sort of success there will be hailed a genius. "Even BB failed with the Browns" etc etc. 

Interesting that he wants to move on from Manziel. We could see Manziel in Dallas and RG3 in Houston next season....

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:
  • Good choice but no GM yet? Is that the way you want to do it?
  •  

IMO, you should hire the GM first. The Browns are going to let Hue help pick the GM. The Seahawks and Rams did the same recently. They both wound up with good GMs.

8 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

They better get him a QB with that 2nd overall pick 

I don't feel there is a QB worth a round 1 pick. I'd take best offense BPA if Browns (many holes to fill) and get my QB in round 3.  There's likely to be one of the top 8 midland talent QB's still on the board.  Then sit him and coach him up to be ready in 2017.  Can't be any worse than throwing away first round picks on failed QB experiments and missing on top flight skill position players or Defense stars.

12 hours ago, Superman said:

He gets input into who the GM will be. I figure that's a compelling factor.

I just don't think this is going to work. First there are basically 3 GM's, two statistical money ball guys, and one who I assume who will be football oriented, but Sashe has the final say, and he is statistical, so the final say over the GM means little to me.

The other thing which I think is more important is leave it to the Browns to find a coach who does not match what they are doing. Hue is an old school guy. Not a new age numbers guy. Football is not Baseball, and I just don't see the marriage working. They needed a younger guy who understands this is a bit of an experiment. I give the Browns credit for trying the experiment, but in football there are places for statistics, but that is in certain decisions during the game. It will be hard to apply that to player personnel.

One more thing, only Haslam would go this route, when just two years ago he had that study commissioned for 100K to see what QB would be best to draft and it came back as Bridgewater. So he goes and picks Manziel. Why have statistics if you don't listen to them, and in this case the study was right. Maybe statistics will find a place, but I don't think Jackson is the best fit, and I don't see the Moneyball effect, especially when you have an owner who likes to meddle in all the decisions. 3 GM's, one head coach and a meddling owner. What a great winning formula. I feel bad for those fans, and all of us should look at Cleveland when we get on this board and crucify Irsay. He has been a great owner when you look at other organizations!

11 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

I just don't think this is going to work. First there are basically 3 GM's, two statistical money ball guys, and one who I assume who will be football oriented, but Sashe has the final say, and he is statistical, so the final say over the GM means little to me.

The other thing which I think is more important is leave it to the Browns to find a coach who does not match what they are doing. Hue is an old school guy. Not a new age numbers guy. Football is not Baseball, and I just don't see the marriage working. They needed a younger guy who understands this is a bit of an experiment. I give the Browns credit for trying the experiment, but in football there are places for statistics, but that is in certain decisions during the game. It will be hard to apply that to player personnel.

One more thing, only Haslam would go this route, when just two years ago he had that study commissioned for 100K to see what QB would be best to draft and it came back as Bridgewater. So he goes and picks Manziel. Why have statistics if you don't listen to them, and in this case the study was right. Maybe statistics will find a place, but I don't think Jackson is the best fit, and I don't see the Moneyball effect, especially when you have an owner who likes to meddle in all the decisions. 3 GM's, one head coach and a meddling owner. What a great winning formula. I feel bad for those fans, and all of us should look at Cleveland when we get on this board and crucify Irsay. He has been a great owner when you look at other organizations!

Until I see otherwise, I don't think they're attempting to run their team from an analytics/moneyball standpoint to the exclusion of traditional scouting and roster management. I could be wrong, but just because they hired an analytics guy doesn't mean they're trying to be the Oakland As of the NFL. I think that's all overblown.

I also disagree with the characterization of Hue Jackson as an old school guy. He's not stuck in the past and closed off to new ideas and ways of doing things. As a play caller, he's kind of progressive. 

Haslam is obviously a problem. We'll see if he's learned his lesson, but we all know that people rationalize bad decisions all the time. Just because his research pointed to Bridgewater doesn't mean he was going to go that route; he obviously wanted Manziel to begin with, which is dumb. If he continues ignoring the counsel of his employees, then the Browns will continue being the Browns, and nothing else will matter.