Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Cant We Copy The Giants

CR91

the giants always have jpp osi and tuck on the line when their rushing the passer. why cant we do that with freeney, mathis, and hughes. seems like a waste to have the kid just play sparingly and we can include nevis on the line with those three since he can pass rush as well. just seems like an idea that could work on say third and long so we can get very quick pressure on the qb instead of always having to rely on freeney and mathis. i want us to start getting creative on defense.

the giants always have jpp osi and tuck on the line when their rushing the passer. why cant we do that with freeney, mathis, and hughes. seems like a waste to have the kid just play sparingly and we can include nevis on the line with those three since he can pass rush as well. just seems like an idea that could work on say third and long so we can get very quick pressure on the qb instead of always having to rely on freeney and mathis. i want us to start getting creative on defense.

Just a hunch here but Hughes lack of PT probably because he is not very good.

Next season is Hughes' make or break. Let's hope the D coordinator can find ways to utilize his talents. I have noticed (in the few times he is on the field) that he looks much bigger than he did in college. Maybe they were having him bulk up and work on his moves the first two years, then unleash him in the 3rd? That way, no one can be prepared for him because he is bigger than he was in college and has improved his skills

We could do that with Eric Foster on the line, not with Hughes. Eric Foster and Drake Nevis will make a good pass rushing combo in the middle with Freeney and Mathis. Hughes will downgrade the bulk that we already have reduced with Mathis in there. Eric Foster would be the hybrid kind in the middle that will help us get such pass rush while retaining some bulk to slow down any RBs in the case of draw plays.

That is why Foster and Nevis going down hurt our pass rush down the middle considerably, IMO, as the year went on. They both started missing games right after the Bucs game.

We could do that with Eric Foster on the line, not with Hughes. Eric Foster and Drake Nevis will make a good pass rushing combo in the middle with Freeney and Mathis. Hughes will downgrade the bulk that we already have reduced with Mathis in there. Eric Foster would be the hybrid kind in the middle that will help us get such pass rush while retaining some bulk to slow down any RBs in the case of draw plays.

That is why Foster and Nevis going down hurt our pass rush down the middle considerably, IMO, as the year went on. They both started missing games right after the Bucs game.

i dont know if foster will ever be the same after his injury. his injury looked horrible.

Just look at the size difference. Osi is sitting on the outside, you are not kicking Freeney or Mathis inside either. That leaves Jason Pierre-Paul at 6'5" 278 and Tuck at 6'5" 268 and you want to slide in a 6'2" 255 Hughes? The parts are not interchangable. I would love to have a JPP or Tuck, Hughes aint it.

everyone just likes to ride off players because they dont make an instant impact. i remember when people hated when we drafted reggie and how he didnt have an instant impact and now hes one of the greatest colts players ever.

Maybe it is me, you can have the lighter D-linemen for the speed, Freeney lite kind, but does their height have any correlation with their hand usage and shedding blocks? I am not a D-line expert by any means but if I can have some height to go with the lesser bulk, that would be good.

Besides, if Osi can be used as linebacker, Hughes can be too, to make him more effective. The Eagles, under Jim Johnson, used to use a 5-man D-line against pass happy teams like the Pats. So, maybe Ryan Grigson can get Spags who can be creative to cause mismatches at the line of scrimmage.

Maybe it is me, you can have the lighter D-linemen for the speed, Freeney lite kind, but does their height have any correlation with their hand usage and shedding blocks? I am not a D-line expert by any means but if I can have some height to go with the lesser bulk, that would be good.

Besides, if Osi can be used as linebacker, Hughes can be too, to make him more effective. The Eagles, under Jim Johnson, used to use a 5-man D-line against pass happy teams like the Pats. So, maybe Ryan Grigson can get Spags who can be creative to cause mismatches at the line of scrimmage.

Freeney uses his size to his advantage when he does his signature spin move, but other than that i'm not 100% sure.

Hugh's certainly is somewhat of a mystery. Why he hasn't seen more time on the field. If it's the obvious then you'd think they'd cut him, saving face not withstanding. He is small in Dline standards. Maybe the Colts are trying to develop him into more of a LB style player. It would fit his size and speed. Then again, it could be as simple as the fact that some kids out of college just don't hit their mature man stride until they're 25 or so. It would be a welcome surprise if he were to come on and be a solid contributor. The Colts can't wait though. They need every position(except maybe backup QB) to be an on the field contributor. As for the 34, I don't believe the personnel changes required to go that direction is worth the benefit when the 43 can get the job done.

I think we can execute a defense like the Giants, but much faster. We need a corner and a safety though. We need those to things so we can take more risk. The Giants have better corners then we do at the present moment. Not to say our corners aren't good, but we need a elite corner. Also if we have the chance we need to draft Barkevious Mingo when he's eligible. He'll fit that LB/DE role nice. I seen him drop back into coverage and rush the passer through the gaps. He has great footwork and speed. But working with the piece's we have now. Again we need to fix our secondary. There's no way any of this could work without help in the secondary. We fix that then we can take more risk. I'm tired of that tampa two, bend but don't break... We need to bend and break! Our team defense is the fast in the league? It's built off of speed? So why aren't we attacking offense based on our speed? We need to design a defense based off of speed attacking. Also if your going to add the extra pass rusher then your going to need a player that is a safety/corner type player.

Line: DE DT DT DE

LB LB/DE LB

CB SS/CB FS CB

Bingo. This was a major contributing factor to our win loss record. Unfortunately, it is entirely heaped upon the doorstep of our coach. Just about time we might have begun to compensate for our loss pf PM, these guys went down.

I think it is no dodging that to win BIG a strong OL and DL is needed. And a NYG man was on Irsay's hit list but I think he declined. Not sure. Ross maybe? Whatever...

But I think RG brings the same attitude to Indy. He was an NFC EAST guy, and they won a lot in the NFC EAST.

Indy will be fine after we get through the next 2 months and can finally plan a course of action. Because until a Manning decision is done... The franchise is in limbo.

But I think these "BIG" decisions have already been made. Or they should have...

Hughes just seems to have major problems getting off blocks...which would be lack of strength or leverage..

2 things he can improve..but I'm very concerned that he didnt seem to gain any ground in the off-season after his rookie year..

I know he sees what Mathis and Freeney do....He's their size...but he cant just cant beat blocks...

I dont want to give up on him yet but he has to make strength gains going into next season...and make some plays in the pre-season

Remember when we played the Giants and they gave us these looks. Peyton audibled to the run and we ripped off huge chunks of yards. We already have a hard time stopping the run. Also if your opponent manages a first down throwing against this package they can rush to the line and beat the set up with runs. The Colts struggle against the run as it is. I'm not against the idea. I'm just playing devils advocate.

Hugh's certainly is somewhat of a mystery. Why he hasn't seen more time on the field. If it's the obvious then you'd think they'd cut him, saving face not withstanding. He is small in Dline standards. Maybe the Colts are trying to develop him into more of a LB style player. It would fit his size and speed. Then again, it could be as simple as the fact that some kids out of college just don't hit their mature man stride until they're 25 or so. It would be a welcome surprise if he were to come on and be a solid contributor. The Colts can't wait though. They need every position(except maybe backup QB) to be an on the field contributor. As for the 34, I don't believe the personnel changes required to go that direction is worth the benefit when the 43 can get the job done.

Yeah, I don't know why the staff does not try him out at LB. Maybe they have in practice and it just didn't work out. I think with using his speed he could develop into a nice LB'er.

If i'm not mistaken he played OLB at TCU. I could be wrong though.

I think he played end at TCU, but was projected as an outside linebacker. I watched some of his workouts and have seen the way he uses his body on the field, and I think he'd be a very suitable 3-4 backer. I'm just a silly fan who doesn't really know anything, of course, but I do think we're trying to get him to do something he's not well suited for. I think he's much more Phillip Wheeler than Robert Mathis. He's certainly not Dwight Freeney.