Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Offseason prediction

CR91

For all the hate Cole has gotten has anyone considered he is a rotational pass rusher whos only averaged 37.7 snaps a game this year....529 snaps in 14 games played, His production is down but he has never been an elite pass rusher even when he was playing the majority of snaps in Philly...He averages 8.04 sacks a year for his career...Better then what he has given us by far but he also was playing many more snaps before.

He has averaged 1 sack per every 176.3 plays this year....not great ( I don't know how many pass rush attempts he has attempted)...He also played in 806 snaps for the Eagles last year

Its really not inconceivable he would have double the three sacks and pressures had he played more snaps this year

He averages 2.9 plays played per opponent offensive drive

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2015.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2015-snap-counts.htm

16 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

3 million a year for a top 15 guard in the game is a joke in FA. He'd demand at least 4-5.  We paid $5.5 million for RJF, a rotational backup.

He's coming off an Mcl tear so his value will decrease

32 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I really don't see how you hate on Freeman then because he is good at the point of attack. Does he over-pursue? Sure, but he does his job in run support more often then not

Then that is where we fundamentally disagree.  I have not only seen him over-pursue (his biggest weakness), but I have also seen him very soft at the point of attack many times not even able to slow the runner down or shed a block.  When he has a man on him he is going backwards 8/10.  Plus he is just not athletic enough to cover.  

Keep Jones.  We need the depth with Anderson's knee injury looming.

Of OPs free agents: I'd sign Wisnewski @ $3m/year

I'd Add Casey Heyward instead of Amukamara. The others are too old..

Draft: I posted this somewhat undecided Board elsewhere and probably won't change it for a while:

1st: Shalique Calhoun OLB/Edge, Mich St

2nd:  Germain Ifedi: OT/G TX A&M

3rd: Yannick Ngakoue OLB/Edge Maryland

4th: Deon Bush: FS Miami

5th: Eric Murray: CB Minnesota

Alternative picks:

2nd:  Joshua Perry OLB SAM Ohio State

3rd:  Brandon Shell OT/G South Carolina

4th:  Cassanova McKinzy ILB Auburn

2 hours ago, Solon said:

Good luck getting Dwayne Allen to resign for 12M. He's worth at least 20M on the open market. Talented/Young all-around TE's don't come around often.

Yeah, they seemed to not want to let him succeed this year by barely using him, perhaps trying to drive his value down, but I doubt he even WANTS to come back.  Short of us hiring his College Coach, he's likely gone to a team who will appreciate his talent and use him in the passing game more than just a futile rushing game.  

At the risk of having my head ripped off....

I actually would LOVE to see us draft Ezekiel Elliot.  I know.. don't draft RB's blah blah blah but he really seems like the real deal.  He BLOCKS as well as he runs and he CATCHES as well as he runs and he RUNS like Todd Gurley without having suffered the major knee injury.  He may well be gone before we pick, but some have said he may last til late first round... imagine Gore and Elliot together in the backfield, letting Elliot learn from a master for a season or two (depending on Gore's abilities) and then unleashing him as the lead dog a year later.  Sure, I see all the calls for an edge rusher and sure, we need 2 of them but the are so hit and miss and Elliot looks like a transcendent back to me, even more than the kid from Alabama.  

57 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Because he did the other part very well.  He is a liability in one area and can't cover TE's but he did his first job really well.  I'll take that any day every day.

If that is all it takes for you, fine.  DQ's inability to cover TEs or any receiver coming out of the backfield is not good enough, IMO.  He is too one dimensional.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

I am no cap expert so if I make a mistake let me know. as per spotrac, we have 18.5 cap space. 

Release

andre johnson. saves 5 mil

trent cole saves 6.25 mil

art jones saves 2.3 mil

Cap 32.05

Resign

freeman 3 year 12 mil

coby fleener 4 year 12 mil

dwayne allen 4 year 12 mil

dan herron 2 year 2 mil

andy studabaker 2 year 1 mil

colt anderson 1 year 1 mil

Cap 19.05

Free agent sign

prince amukamara 4 year 20 mil

eric weddle 2 year 7 mil

alex boone 4 year 12 mil

stefan wisniewski 2 year 5 mil

Cap 5.05

Draft

1. Emmanuel Ogbah DE/OLB OKLAHOMA STATE

2. Ethan Pocic C/G LSU

3. Carl Nassib DE/OLB PENN STATE

4. Kyle Murphy T STANFORD

5. D.J White CB GEORGIA TECH

7. Michael Caputo S WISCONSIN

I can't say I agree with all of it, but I appreciate the work and thought you put into this nonetheless.  

2 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I actually would LOVE to see us draft Ezekiel Elliot.  I know.. don't draft RB's blah blah blah but he really seems like the real deal.  He BLOCKS as well as he runs and he CATCHES as well as he runs and he RUNS like Todd Gurley without having suffered the major knee injury.  He may well be gone before we pick, but some have said he may last til late first round... imagine Gore and Elliot together in the backfield, letting Elliot learn from a master for a season or two (depending on Gore's abilities) and then unleashing him as the lead dog a year later.  Sure, I see all the calls for an edge rusher and sure, we need 2 of them but the are so hit and miss and Elliot looks like a transcendent back to me, even more than the kid from Alabama.  

I won't rip your head off, but the Colts really do not need to draft a RB in the first round.  Not with all of the deficiencies on the Oline and the need for an effective pass rusher.

1 minute ago, Cynjin said:

I won't rip your head off, but the Colts really do not need to draft a RB in the first round.  Not with all of the deficiencies on the Oline and the need for an effective pass rusher.

I can't argue with the need, but I am unaware of a first round O-Lineman in the range we'll be drafting.  More likely it will be a Defensive player, which may be fine, but I have seen so many first round picks be duds and Elliot has looked NFL ready for 2 years.  He really is the most well rounded RB I have seen in many years.  Imagine the benefit of another awesome blocking RB who can run and catch like that standing by Luck for 7 years during his prime.  I would not draft any other back in the first 2 rounds, but man, Elliot justs explodes off the screen.  By the wall, I called that Melvin Gordon would be a bust and Gurley, when healthy would be a star.  So far so good.  

4 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I can't argue with the need, but I am unaware of a first round O-Lineman in the range we'll be drafting.  More likely it will be a Defensive player, which may be fine, but I have seen so many first round picks be duds and Elliot has looked NFL ready for 2 years.  He really is the most well rounded RB I have seen in many years.  Imagine the benefit of another awesome blocking RB who can run and catch like that standing by Luck for 7 years during his prime.  I would not draft any other back in the first 2 rounds, but man, Elliot justs explodes off the screen.  By the wall, I called that Melvin Gordon would be a bust and Gurley, when healthy would be a star.  So far so good.  

I'd prefer a sure thing in the 1st rather than taking a risky player, so I wouldn't argue with you at all.

Thoughts...

Fleener stays, Allen goes (injured too often), Toler goes (I really, really hope), would like to see Art Jones back but like Allen, just can't stay on the field. Don't really care if we keep some of our other experienced back ups- Andre Johnson, Freeman (only as a backup), Billy Winn, Jack Doyle, etc

FA to sign

Danny Trevathan- obvious that Sio Moore isn't the answer, don't know about Irving, he hasn't been healthy enough to see. Trevathan would be an immediate upgrade in LB corp

Pass Rusher-Mario Williams (if Bills release him), Bruce Irvin SEA, Ryan Kerrigan from Washington 13+ sacks this year

Center- anybody with some decent starting experience would be an upgrade over the Holmes/Harrison swinging gate that we have at center now- Lyle Sendlein, Ryan Wendell, Doug Legursky,

CB- Janoris Jenkins, Justin Bethel, Casey Hayward

Draft

First- do not draft another WR in first 5 rounds (saw one of these mocks had us taking WR Tredwell in the first??)

Second- need at least 2 in the trenches guys in first 3 rounds. We don't tend to win the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball.

48 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I would take Elliot.

But right now I'm not even to running backs so let me actually do player comparisons and I'll revisit this in the future.

48 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

If that is all it takes for you, fine.  DQ's inability to cover TEs or any receiver coming out of the backfield is not good enough, IMO.  He is too one dimensional.

Right I'd love to have a multi-dimensional linebacker.  But I'd much prefer a guaranteed run stopper than a linebacker who is mediocre at everything.  But again that is just me.  If the front 7 can rush the passer and stop the run I'll take any deficiencies of coverage in the middle.

I'd have taken Kendricks this past year in a heartbeat because I think he complimented Jackson to a T and we would've had a coverage guy that can do everything in the middle.  But alas... what do they say about spilled milk? lol

8 hours ago, get an 0-line said:

tackles for a loss and sacks, passes defensed, fumbles caused, interceptions, qb pressures and hurries, tackles for gains should not figure into it so much, imo

My goodness. A LBer doesn't just cover

11 hours ago, JPFolks said:

There should be either a really good defensive prospect available like CB Mackensie Alexander or a starting caliber OT like Jack Conklin. They could always trade down and still get Conklin also. 

4 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

There should be either a really good defensive prospect available like CB Mackensie Alexander or a starting caliber OT like Jack Conklin. They could always trade down and still get Conklin also. 

There's also the Tackle from Ohio State who should be available.  I just know that Gore was so-so this year, never hit a single 100 yard game nor hit 1000 yards overall.   And he'll be another year older as next season rolls around.  He only ran really hard a couple games all year in my opinion, Miami being foremost because he wanted to impress the hometown folks.  Too bad he didn't have that same level of focus and passion and energy all season, we might still be playoff bound.  

13 hours ago, JPFolks said:

He will run for 3 yards a carry then get cut then become a beast somewhere else

16 hours ago, CR91 said:

I am no cap expert so if I make a mistake let me know. as per spotrac, we have 18.5 cap space. 

Release

andre johnson. saves 5 mil

trent cole saves 6.25 mil

art jones saves 2.3 mil

Cap 32.05

Resign

freeman 3 year 12 mil

coby fleener 4 year 12 mil

dwayne allen 4 year 12 mil

dan herron 2 year 2 mil

andy studabaker 2 year 1 mil

colt anderson 1 year 1 mil

Cap 19.05

Free agent sign

prince amukamara 4 year 20 mil

eric weddle 2 year 7 mil

alex boone 4 year 12 mil

stefan wisniewski 2 year 5 mil

Cap 5.05

Draft

1. Emmanuel Ogbah DE/OLB OKLAHOMA STATE

2. Ethan Pocic C/G LSU

3. Carl Nassib DE/OLB PENN STATE

4. Kyle Murphy T STANFORD

5. D.J White CB GEORGIA TECH

7. Michael Caputo S WISCONSIN

Art Jones at $2.3M sounds like a Steal for our D-Line. So NOOO!

Prince bla bla is just more Tolerishness. NOO!
Weddle for how much? LMAO! But yes, he would be a fine pickup. $6M plus per
Boone? Add $10M.  And still a Yes!

If we are playing a 3-4 next season Ogbah seems a fit at DE. It would be great to get some pressure from that spot, but maybe we are already pretty good there with Anderson, Langford, and Kerr, McGill??
  Yes, he could become a stud so... an OLB`er/edge rusher seems more of a need but excellence works at our #1 pick.

Had to dig a little on Pocic. If he does come out, what an interesting prospect. This team deserves/must have a stud Center. And worth a 2nd round pick for the right guy. This kid looks like a Solid player and capable of playing multiple positions. Thanks for the find.
 Nassib = Werner. Noooooooooooooo!
 Murphy in the middle of the 4th. Okee dokee?
  Lots of needs so let us hope FA fills them well. lol

Sad story for Andre Johnson. When he left the Texans all the talk maybe he could get that ring and how he was praised for not complaining of the poor quarterbacking in Houston. He arrives in Indy only to board a ship with a big hole in it finishing behind the weak kneed team he left. As far as what the Colts do in the off season I am certain will be meet with indifference from many points of view.

You have two options when you find mold on cheese; peel off the moldy part and eat the rest or toss the hole thing and buy more.