Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eric Wedlel S

I don't think he is too old. 30 yrs. old for a safety is fine, plus safeties get better with age to a point because so much of the position is based on knowledge, and what they have learned. Weddle is one of the best, and will continue to be. The only problem is he has not been happy salary wise for the past few years, so he is going to want to be paid.

The safety on a lot of teams is the Captain. Having a really good one, like Earl Thomas, or Ed Reeves earlier in his career, the honey badger, can make up for a lot of deficiencies in your CB's. His wisdom, plus he is an incredibly talented player, would be a great addition to play with Vontae. Depending on what he wants, I would love to have him here. The only thing which scares me is fit. What is the scheme the Chargers run, and what will we be running next year. You have to find FA's who fit the scheme you run. If you don't, this is one of the biggest reasons for FA busts.

I don't think is is to old either. And I think he would be a good addition if he is not to expansive. Mike Adams has played well for us though and I think we should look to other holes before safety. But again if we can get him for the right price I'd be happy with it.

I posted this here already, I will repeat it: http://forums.colts.com/topic/43277-eric-weddle-fined-for-watching-his-daughter-at-hal/

I said above the following:

I wouldn't mind getting him on a 1 or 2 year show-me kind of deal, to be honest. If we can squeeze a lot out of Mike Adams, we can get enough out of Eric Weddle too. He would be fine to play for a contender on a 1 or 2 year deal betting on himself at this point in his career.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-chargers/post/_/id/11116/morning-links-pro-football-focus-ranks-eric-weddle-nfls-22nd-best-player

As recently as 2014, he was a top 2 safety. I hope it is not another case of Rodney Harrison from the Chargers going to the Patriots. I would not like that. Get him when you can. Ex-Chargers like Sproles, Brees, Vincent Jackson, Antonio Cromarie etc. do have productive careers elsewhere.

11 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

I don't think he is too old. 30 yrs. old for a safety is fine, plus safeties get better with age to a point because so much of the position is based on knowledge, and what they have learned. Weddle is one of the best, and will continue to be. The only problem is he has not been happy salary wise for the past few years, so he is going to want to be paid.

The safety on a lot of teams is the Captain. Having a really good one, like Earl Thomas, or Ed Reeves earlier in his career, the honey badger, can make up for a lot of deficiencies in your CB's. His wisdom, plus he is an incredibly talented player, would be a great addition to play with Vontae. Depending on what he wants, I would love to have him here. The only thing which scares me is fit. What is the scheme the Chargers run, and what will we be running next year. You have to find FA's who fit the scheme you run. If you don't, this is one of the biggest reasons for FA busts.

The Chargers run a 3-4 D, so fit (currently) would not be a problem. I agree with your apprehension though because we don't know what D we will be running next season. Whomever is coordinating the D next season will hopefully keep the 3-4/4-3 hybrid that we currently have and execute it better!

13 hours ago, CS Coltsfan said:

Looks like Eric Weddle will be a free agent.... pro bowl  safety... could upgrade our Safety position... Adams playing good, but father time is against him,,, we have alot of Holes to fill...

what do you guys think..

Father time is getting to Weddle too.  FS somewhere in the 3rd or 4th round.

12 minutes ago, GoColts00 said:

The Chargers run a 3-4 D, so fit (currently) would not be a problem. I agree with your apprehension though because we don't know what D we will be running next season. Whomever is coordinating the D next season will hopefully keep the 3-4/4-3 hybrid that we currently have and execute it better!

Seems silly to change again doesn't it? 

Didn't we just go through 4 years of switching from a Tampa 2 to a 34 hybrid.  That's a big shift in personnel requiring multiple seasons to do it right.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Seems silly to change again doesn't it? 

Didn't we just go through 4 years of switching from a Tampa 2 to a 34 hybrid.  That's a big shift in personnel requiring multiple seasons to do it right.

I agree. It's taken several seasons to get the personnel we have, so why change to something completely different. 

I don't think Weddel is too old,  but it would depend on how big a deal he wants.

I'm not looking for a 4-5 year deal for him unless it's structured favorably as some of Grigson's other days have been set-up.

Eric Berry would clearly be more desirable,  but it's hard to imagine KC letting him get away.

I've got us pegged for spending a 5th round pick on a safety either way.  

As priorities go, I think Safety is behind Pass Rush/OLB,  OL, CB and DL....  

We have too many other holes to fill. We're ok at safety next year with Adams and then Geathers stepping in to start at SS. We have to address OLB, CB, Guard, Center, and possibly ILB and DL. We don't have the luxury of signing Weddle. We have to being in some star caliber players at OLB, Guard/Center, and CB. I think Geathers will be great starting next to Adams next year. But just for insurance I'd draft a safety in the middle rounds.

On 12/31/2015 at 0:01 AM, CS Coltsfan said:

Looks like Eric Weddle will be a free agent.... pro bowl  safety... could upgrade our Safety position... Adams playing good, but father time is against him,,, we have alot of Holes to fill...

what do you guys think..

Didn't a lot of you guys say that "father time" was gonna catch up with Adams this season, last off season as well? Adams has shown no signs of slowing down. I think we're OK at safety for once, with Adams, Geathers , and Lowery.

16 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Didn't a lot of you guys say that "father time" was gonna catch up with Adams this season, last off season as well? Adams has shown no signs of slowing down. I think we're OK at safety for once, with Adams, Geathers , and Lowery.

I agree maybe draft a S to take over for Adams at some point but bringing in Wettle doesn't make sense to me. We replace an older player with a not quite so older player.

It would be nice to add some guys under the age of 30. We have more pressing needs than S to sort out in FA.