Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Brown

oldunclemark

45 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

sorry for the multiple posts...I was just so excited about Donald Brown doing something

It's a rarity right? Lol jk he's just in a very crowded back field, still don't think his production would be very high as a 3 down back

14 hours ago, twfish said:

still don't think his production would be very high as a 3 down back

well that has always been his issue.  he is pretty good/great in spot duty, but he gets gassed after 10-15 carries.  thats how he got his high career ypc, the colts would always pull him after a big run

he may have had the running talent to be a a #1 RB, but not the stamina

Nice game from a nice contributor. He was always good for a break out play every so often. He isn't an every down guy but he is the kinda guy that can help a team win. We could use him honestly....but I think he wanted more money than we wanted to offer him....and we were focusing on making the Trent thing work. Oh well..such is life....kinda like when we were focused on making the Freeney thing work instead of getting Hughes time in our 3-4....you win some and you lose some.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 2:56 PM, dgambill said:

Nice game from a nice contributor. He was always good for a break out play every so often. He isn't an every down guy but he is the kinda guy that can help a team win. We could use him honestly....but I think he wanted more money than we wanted to offer him....and we were focusing on making the Trent thing work. Oh well..such is life....kinda like when we were focused on making the Freeney thing work instead of getting Hughes time in our 3-4....you win some and you lose some.

Could be wrong...DG..but I think we never offered him any contract...at all.

That was during our 'Trent' period....I still don't think he has ever lost a fumble.

Hope he gets some more carries the last 2 weeks

Without researching I believe he signed with the Chargers for around 13m. That`s to much for a RB who really is more of a change of pace RB. I would have like to have seen him retained but not at that price. If he was released I wouldn`t mind seeing the Colts resign him. He has a lot of thread left on his tires.

Just now, MPStack said:

Without researching I believe he signed with the Chargers for around 13m. That`s to much for a RB who really is more of a change of pace RB. I would have like to have seen him retained but not at that price. If he was released I wouldn`t mind seeing the Colts resign him. He has a lot of thread left on his tires.

$6,500,000 over 2 Years. 

The issues I believe with Donald was that he lacked the ability to be an every down back because he wasn't a very good blocker in pass protection. He always ran hard and was quick to get into the hole even when it wasn't very big. Charles, McCoy, C Johnson etc aren't big guys but they were the main backs...but Donald just couldn't do as many things as those guys but he has always been very durable. He also had great ability in open space (screen passes and little arrow routes out of the back field) to make a big play. Since he struggled to pick up blitzes etc it made it hard to keep him on the field...and yes we invested in the Trent disaster and that was that.

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The issues I believe with Donald was that he lacked the ability to be an every down back because he wasn't a very good blocker in pass protection. He always ran hard and was quick to get into the hole even when it wasn't very big. Charles, McCoy, C Johnson etc aren't big guys but they were the main backs...but Donald just couldn't do as many things as those guys but he has always been very durable. He also had great ability in open space (screen passes and little arrow routes out of the back field) to make a big play. Since he struggled to pick up blitzes etc it made it hard to keep him on the field...and yes we invested in the Trent disaster and that was that.

DB was a straight line runner, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but he could not change direction very well at all.  If he were to catch a screen pass that was behind him (which would be about 80% of the time if Luck were throwing it) it would take DB about 6 steps and 10 yards to get turned back upfield.