Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scout's Opinion: Derek Henry 4th Round Draft Pick

I think Henry is a Back that does a little bit of everything well but nothing at an elite level

-Good but not great speed

-Good hands out of the backfield

-Durable

-Agile and shifty for a man his size

If there is an issue I tend to see with him is that he tends to get ankle tackled to much for my liking and does not always run behind his pads but lunges, Balance can be a problem at times as he falls down and slides without being touched

4th round prospect would mean day 3...I think he goes day 2

46 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I think Henry is a Back that does a little bit of everything well but nothing at an elite level

-Good but not great speed

-Good hands out of the backfield

-Durable

-Agile and shifty for a man his size

If there is an issue I tend to see with him is that he tends to get ankle tackled to much for my liking and does not always run behind his pads but lunges, Balance can be a problem at times as he falls down and slides without being touched

4th round prospect would mean day 3...I think he goes day 2

I haven't looked at tape yet,  but I'd agree.....   I think there will be many teams that view him as a Day 2 kid,  and one of those teams will draft Henry in the 2nd or 3rd round.....

One of the teams in Texas I see taking him too early. I would much rather grab Booker later in the draft if we were going RB.

I'm hoping for a draft focused on O Line and D. We need an edge rusher. There seem to be some that could help into day 2.

O Line needs at least depth if we get a C in FA and Thorton can stay healthy. We need to solidify the interoir of the O Line. I think a competent C will do wonders 

All three groups on D could use some help. 

I like that 2017 RB class specifically Freeman. I'd bring in a FA to help Gore next year. Maybe hit on an UDFA. Keep Boom but he's ideally no higher than 3rd on the depth chart. 

You really don't need to spend a top pick at RB if you fix the Line. There is no reason to there is no Gurley this year. 

I got my eyes all over Boise State speed rusher Kamalei Correa

Positives

Quick first step

-Agile...Has experience dropping back into a short zone

-Has experience as a stand up Linebacker rushing from either side

-Flashes a well polished swim move to get to the inside of Tackles

-Violent with his hands to get off blocks

Negatives

-Like all college players he has to get stronger

-Production went from 12 sacks and 19 TFL's in 2014 to 5 sacks and 8.5 TFL's in 2015 but faced a lot of double teams

-Only a Junior so may not declare but according to Tony Pauline from Draft Insider.Net Correa has been interviewing agents and has received a day 2 grade. I'd be all over him in the 2nd-3rd round

I sure as heck don't think he's a 2nd or 3rd round guy. Being 6'3", it's going to be hard to keep himself protected and healthy. Doesn't have a ton of shake, but it's still at least average, maybe a bit above. He's fast, but his reported speed doesn't always match what I see on film. Looks slow to get to the hole if it's not 6 feet wide. Can't always tell if it's good patience or reading blocks to slow.

10 hours ago, akcolt said:

One of the teams in Texas I see taking him too early. I would much rather grab Booker later in the draft if we were going RB.

I'm hoping for a draft focused on O Line and D. We need an edge rusher. There seem to be some that could help into day 2.

O Line needs at least depth if we get a C in FA and Thorton can stay healthy. We need to solidify the interoir of the O Line. I think a competent C will do wonders 

All three groups on D could use some help. 

I like that 2017 RB class specifically Freeman. I'd bring in a FA to help Gore next year. Maybe hit on an UDFA. Keep Boom but he's ideally no higher than 3rd on the depth chart. 

You really don't need to spend a top pick at RB if you fix the Line. There is no reason to there is no Gurley this year. 

The only way Booker goes later in the draft is if his knee is slow to heal.

He was on his way to being a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick when he blew up his knee later in the season.

Not sure how healthy he'll be for 2016.     But he's a talented kid........

7 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

He really is nothing more than another Trent Richardson. There are other RB's who are better than him, and can do much more than him. The guy had no business winning the Heisman this year, he wasn't even the best RB in college football, let alone the best overall football player.

There's little in common with Richardson, and Henry isn't even close to Richardson as a prospect.

11 hours ago, Superman said:

There's little in common with Richardson, and Henry isn't even close to Richardson as a prospect.

Both big/powerful runners with limited agility who took advantage of their OL/running lanes. Neither were/are good at creating on their own. Richardson was better out of the backfield though. I think if Richardson were to be drafted now - assuming we develop amnesia of his NFL career - he's not a day 1 guy anymore. I think scouts are shying away from over-glorifying Alabama running backs now.

Running backs don't matter if the OLine can't create space.  We need to draft or acquire FA's for the Oline who can start.  Also, we need edge rushers for the Defense.  If we can shore up both OLine and be able to pressure rival QB's then most RBs can carry the rock successfully.  IMO

5 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Both big/powerful runners with limited agility who took advantage of their OL/running lanes. Neither were/are good at creating on their own. Richardson was better out of the backfield though. I think if Richardson were to be drafted now - assuming we develop amnesia of his NFL career - he's not a day 1 guy anymore. I think scouts are shying away from over-glorifying Alabama running backs now.

They both went to Alabama. That's where it begins and ends.

Richardson was 5'9", 228 pounds. Henry is 6'3", 242 pounds. They don't have similar body styles.

Richardson had above average agility, he could get low and cut through holes, etc. He had good explosiveness, change of direction, balance, etc. Henry does not. He's just a big bruiser who runs high (have not really watched him, but I have seen him play).

Because of how spectacularly Richardson busted, I think people are off of Alabama RBs in general. High usage backs, big offensive lines, limited opportunities in the passing game, etc.

Runs very upright, so he takes a lot of blows, and he has already put miles on the tread at Alabama. For a bruiser though, he is shifty, and as a 3rd or 4th he would be a good pick. Problem in the end, analysing

alabama RB's is difficult. It seems they all succeed, so it is partly the system. That makes it a crapshoot. RB is the least of our needs right now anyway.

I think he has potential to be the next Eddie George...If colts can get him in 3rd I would be thrilled..I think he will go in 2nd Rd though and we need to draft a guard in the 2nd, sign Mack to play center,  and draft Oakman, or ndkumeche from ole miss in 1st. ...

I'm not that high on him either. And I don't see his talent translating to the NFL too well. He may be a decent backup or something, but I definitely don't see him being a good starting NFL RB. A RB I like is the Notre Dame kid. Prosise. I'm hoping we can get him in the 3rd,