Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Do The Numbers 14-0, 62 To 0, 0-13, 14-24 Mean?

BIGugly

14-0. Under Jim Caldwell - Acturally this number shoud be 14 3/4 and 0 since the starters did play most of the 3rd quarter vs the Jets in the infamous QUIT of the 2009 season.

62 to 0. Under Jim Caldwell - Horrendously embarrasing score of the NO game where our illustrious coaching staff tried to make a Peyton Manning out of Painter by having him run the no huddle, read 'em at the line of scrimmage, offense in the LOUDEST stadium in the NFL. Threw him under the bus and destroyed his confidence.

0-13. Under Jim Caldwell - Duplicated one of the worst starts in the history of the Colts (1986), Rod Dowhower was reaplaced by Ron Meyer and Meyer won the last three games. Tony Dungy achieved the same record (2011) was NOT replaced

2-14. Under Jim Caldwell - Third time since the Colts have been in Indy that dismal record has been reached. Linde Infante (1997) was replaced at season end by Jim Mora who prodceeded to make the exact same record (1998) despite the efforts of Marshall Faulk, Marvin Harrison, and Petyon Manning.

14-24. Under Jim Caldwell - Colts record (2009-2011) since the infamous 14-0 start, under Caldwell. despite the gallant efforts of Peyton Manning (part of the time), Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, Dallas Clark, Pierre Garcon, Jeff Saturday, Robert Mathis, Dwight Freeney, many of whom are or have been pro-bowlers.

I'm just sayin'...

2-14. Under Jim Caldwell - Third time since the Colts have been in Indy that dismal record has been reached. Linde Infante (1997) was replaced at season end by Jim Mora who prodceeded to make the exact same record (1998) despite the efforts of Marshall Faulk, Marvin Harrison, and Petyon Manning.

Correction. Infante was 3-13 in (1997) when replace by Mora who was also 3-13 in (1998).

0-13. Under Jim Caldwell - Duplicated one of the worst starts in the history of the Colts (1986), Rod Dowhower started 0-13 and was reaplaced by Ron Meyer and Meyer won the last three games. Tony Dungyachieved the same record (2011) was NOT replaced

Correction #2. Must proof read more carefully.

0-13. Under Jim Caldwell - Duplicated one the worst starts in the history of the Colts (1986), Rod Dowhower started 0-13 and was reaplaced by Ron Meyer and Meryer won the last three games. Jim Calwell achieved the same recore (2011) and was NOT replaced.

Getting paranoid now. Think I should have it deleted and start over? Hope it's the preception that matters.

Talking to a friend of mine the other day about numbers. Which is more fun, driving a luxury car 80 MPH that seems like you're going 50, or driving a little open top sports car 50 MPH that seems like you're goin' 80?71

Being 71 years old and feeling like 50, or being 50 years old and feeling like 71?

65 year old man granted a wish by a Genie that he wanted his wife to be 30 younger than him. Badda Bing, he was instantly 95.

I'm just sayin'....

I'm not sure what the point is of elimating the brilliant 14-0 start from your record calculations as if it was some sort of aberration. If you are going to do that, how about removing the two loses at the end of 2009 from your calculations since they weren't competed in. For that matter how about eliminating 2011 entirely because the entire thing was an aberration as well. The best thing that we know about Jim Caldwell is that the 2010 Colts made it to the playoffs (and darn near won a playoff game) despite devastating depth defying injuries at wide receiver, tight end, running back, safety, and cornerback, with plenty more interspersed elsewhere. Sure, you don't win those games without Peyton Manning. But you also don't win them with - what was it - eighteen guys on injured reserve and many others nursing injuries - unless your coaching staff and front office is doing something right. Last season could have been an unmitigated disaster.

I'm not sure what the point is of elimating the brilliant 14-0 start from your record calculations as if it was some sort of aberration. If you are going to do that, how about removing the two loses at the end of 2009 from your calculations since they weren't competed in. For that matter how about eliminating 2011 entirely because the entire thing was an aberration as well. The best thing that we know about Jim Caldwell is that the 2010 Colts made it to the playoffs (and darn near won a playoff game) despite devastating depth defying injuries at wide receiver, tight end, running back, safety, and cornerback, with plenty more interspersed elsewhere. Sure, you don't win those games without Peyton Manning. But you also don't win them with - what was it - eighteen guys on injured reserve and many others nursing injuries - unless your coaching staff and front office is doing something right. Last season could have been an unmitigated disaster.

It's the Manning effect.

All wins while Manning is on the field are attributed to Manning. After all, no one needs to do anything on the weeks Manning plays.

All losses while Manning is unable to play are attributed to the HC, because he prepares the team on those weeks only.

But they were competed in. Starters played for 3 quarters vs Jets before they were pulled. And in the next game vs Bills in Canada in a snowstorm, starters played long enough to get 100 catches for Wayne and I believe either Clark or Collie. Prolly Clark. Even then the NFL said one of Wayne's was not a catch, but a lateral. Colts listed it as catch for his stats for the team.

Green Bay had very high numbers also, and they won the Super Bowl. Matter of fact, I believe they had more on IR than we did. Check it out and get back to me on that one.

But they were competed in. Starters played for 3 quarters vs Jets before they were pulled. And in the next game vs Bills in Canada in a snowstorm, starters played long enough to get 100 catches for Wayne and I believe either Clark or Collie. Prolly Clark. Even then the NFL said one of Wayne's was not a catch, but a lateral. Colts listed it as catch for his stats for the team.

Come on, how can you make this argument with a straight face when this forum blows up at the mention of those games because the Colts didn't try to go undefeated. You must be pulling my leg.

It's the Manning effect.

All wins while Manning is on the field are attributed to Manning. After all, no one needs to do anything on the weeks Manning plays.

All losses while Manning is unable to play are attributed to the HC, because he prepares the team on those weeks only.

Absolutely spot on.

Green Bay had very high numbers also, and they won the Super Bowl. Matter of fact, I believe they had more on IR than we did. Check it out and get back to me on that one.

I analyzed this for my own satisfaction after those "but the Packers had injuries too" arguments started flying at the time.

My recollection is that the Colts had more in total, but FAR more importantly they were much more damaging. The Packers might have lost one key lineman, one key tight end, one key, this or that. Not a lot of major historical contributors in total. The Colts had their entire defensive backfield completely obliterated (with perhaps one exception). How do you beat anybody starting your #6 and #7 CBs for example? Then there are the injuries that didn't make it to IR. At it's worst that season the Colts were playing without something like 8 of their top 11 skill position players, with an oline that was such a mess that Peyton was running for his life on every play (waiting for the #3 tight end and #5 wide receiver to get open while the #4 running back was attempting to block for him. Just ridiculous. The Packers at no point had anything remotely approaching our level of dysfunction.

I analyzed this for my own satisfaction after those "but the Packers had injuries too" arguments started flying at the time.

My recollection is that the Colts had more in total, but FAR more importantly they were much more damaging. The Packers might have lost one key lineman, one key tight end, one key, this or that. Not a lot of major historical contributors in total. The Colts had their entire defensive backfield completely obliterated (with perhaps one exception). How do you beat anybody starting your #6 and #7 CBs for example? Then there are the injuries that didn't make it to IR. At it's worst that season the Colts were playing without something like 8 of their top 11 skill position players, with an oline that was such a mess that Peyton was running for his life on every play (waiting for the #3 tight end and #5 wide receiver to get open while the #4 running back was attempting to block for him. Just ridiculous. The Packers at no point had anything remotely approaching our level of dysfunction.

riiiight

Come on, how can you make this argument with a straight face when this forum blows up at the mention of those games because the Colts didn't try to go undefeated. You must be pulling my leg.

Just the facts, man. Not an opinion, not a conclusion, not an argument, just tellin' it like it is. And that is the way it was.

So what I have taken from this thread is that the Colts were 14-2, 10-6, and 2-14 under Caldwell, which equals 26-22 (not 24 losses as your math suggests); and that one of the losses this year was 62-7 based on a terrible defensive and offensive scheme. I'm no huge supporter of JC, but I can't really figure out what the point of this thread is aside from the team was terrible this year and pretty good his first two years with essentially the same roster minus PM. Did I miss something or is this more of an indictment on the way the roster was built as opposed to coaching? Again, I would like to reiterate that I supported Caldwell up until about week 4 this year and then he lost me with the lack of adjustments. At this point, however, I wonder how much Polian was responsible for that...just saying, Irsay knows a lot more than we do and Caldwell is still hanging on and Polian is not.

riiiight

I looked at the NFL.com player profile for every single IRed player for both teams, and looked at how many games each guy had started/played in the past. Everyone knows that the Packers had to do without 2-3 big time players that year, and it was very impressive. But the vast majority of the people they lost weren't very high on the depth chart. The Colts lost starters (and often their replacements) all over the roster. I don't quite understand the skepticism implied in your response. As someone once said, "Just the facts, man. Not an opinion, not a conclusion, not an argument, just tellin' it like it is. And that is the way it was."

Just to set this straight when the Bills play in Canada they play in a dome. That game was in Buffalo. Either way we have regressed every year with Caldwell, first year we were great with the Dungy staff and philosophy ( I am NOT a Dungy fan ), as soon as Caldwell started to put his stamp on the team well we barely made the playoffs in 2010 it came down to the last game, and this year was all about coaching, when you lose your best player you need to compensate mission not accomplished. Oh and I still believe we lost the super bowl against the Saints due to not playing our starters to the end and letting them make history it had a very adverse affect on there mentality, and we got out coached which was obvious. Caldwell needs to go, and we need to find a real coach not a Dungy wannabe. I will be a very dissapointed fan if we keep this incompetent staff Clyde included. Pleas Irsay do the right thing.

GO COLTS

Just to set this straight when the Bills play in Canada they play in a dome. That game was in Buffalo. Either way we have regressed every year with Caldwell, first year we were great with the Dungy staff and philosophy ( I am NOT a Dungy fan ), as soon as Caldwell started to put his stamp on the team well we barely made the playoffs in 2010 it came down to the last game, and this year was all about coaching, when you lose your best player you need to compensate mission not accomplished. Oh and I still believe we lost the super bowl against the Saints due to not playing our starters to the end and letting them make history it had a very adverse affect on there mentality, and we got out coached which was obvious. Caldwell needs to go, and we need to find a real coach not a Dungy wannabe. I will be a very dissapointed fan if we keep this incompetent staff Clyde included. Pleas Irsay do the right thing.

GO COLTS

Wasn't there a lot of talk about it being in Toronto. Don't doubt what you are saying, because it definitely was snowing. Was it supponsed to be in Toronto, and then changed? What was the deal there? The only thing I remember was the snow.

so we keep a coach who doesnt want to win...Herm Edwards would disagree