Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Injury Report vs Saints

TKnight24

No, I didn't miss the point about Nimitz. But the NFL is not the military. Besides that, it's easy to say that as someone in such-and-such position is responsible for everyone under him, and to a point I do agree with that notion. But at the same time, even the best Manager/admiral/coach can only do so much. It's still up to the guys under him to take what they've learned and apply it.

I still like Pagano and I like the direction the defense is heading in. I just think he has the wrong offensive coordinator and definitely the wrong QB coach.

I'm going to have to take issue with your point that sports and the military don't have a lot in common or sports doesn't share tons of influence and qualities as the military. Where do you think Vince Lombardi shaped his coaching and leadership style from......perhaps his time at West Point maybe? How about Bobby knight who they call the general.....West Point again....and his protege who played for him at Army...coach k. What about his good friend that coached with him there and was an assistant coach of the football team Bill parcells? Don't think his style was shaped by the military? Maybe his modern day Lombardi protege in bill belicheck who's organization is probably the tightest ship in all of sports.....nothing passed along there? I don't think there is any coincidence the most successful organization in sports today is run with a big military influence....do your job...do what your told...team comes first....keep your mouth shut etc etc. I think whether people realize it or not many successful organizations and businesses take from the military...whether its strategy...be prepared...whatever is happening around you do your job....unit/team first I think we would be missing an obvious link between the two. I think we could use a little better preparation...change of course mid game....leadership from our top. Maybe a little more accountability from coach to play callers and our leaders on the field. I don't know for certain but we could do far worse than immulating some of these coaches who have spent time learning fundamentals and around our military.

On the point of limiting gore.....I've got no problem as long as come December he is getting plenty of carries and in the meantime we get production from our other backs...and don't abandon the run when he is off the field.

And at the same time, a coach can only do so much..the player still has to actually put what the coach says into action on the field.  I agree they need to drill it into Luck to stop checking out of every running play if that's in fact the issue.  But using that stretch of playcalling to say that Pagano has checked out and needs to be fired is monumentally stupid.

You do know Nimitz had his limits.....:)

I'm going to have to take issue with your point that sports and the military don't have a lot in common or sports doesn't share tons of influence and qualities as the military. Where do you think Vince Lombardi shaped his coaching and leadership style from......perhaps his time at West Point maybe? How about Bobby knight who they call the general.....West Point again....and his protege who played for him at Army...coach k. What about his good friend that coached with him there and was an assistant coach of the football team Bill parcells? Don't think his style was shaped by the military? Maybe his modern day Lombardi protege in bill belicheck who's organization is probably the tightest ship in all of sports.....nothing passed along there? I don't think there is any coincidence the most successful organization in sports today is run with a big military influence....do your job...do what your told...team comes first....keep your mouth shut etc etc. I think whether people realize it or not many successful organizations and businesses take from the military...whether its strategy...be prepared...whatever is happening around you do your job....unit/team first I think we would be missing an obvious link between the two. I think we could use a little better preparation...change of course mid game....leadership from our top. Maybe a little more accountability from coach to play callers and our leaders on the field. I don't know for certain but we could do far worse than immulating some of these coaches who have spent time learning fundamentals and around our military.

On the point of limiting gore.....I've got no problem as long as come December he is getting plenty of carries and in the meantime we get production from our other backs...and don't abandon the run when he is off the field.

Exactly.....

Sure, there are obviously some fundamental similarities, but there are just as many differences.  

This I completely agree with.  My main point was simply that I don't think the Gore pitch count and abandoning the run are related.

This thread makes me think that we could be on the verge of seeing a resurgence in the importance bell cow rbs in the NFL. The pendulum can only swing so far until it starts to swing back.....maybe I don't know my football as well as I think but the quality of qb play I think is on the decline and it's a result of defenses adjusting to the rules and pass happy league. As we see guys like Peyton, tom, drew, tony, Eli, Phillip, Big Ben age and move along I don't think the quality of great young qbs can keep up to replace them all (sure there are a few lucks, Rodgers, wilsons, Ryan's to step in). I honestly feel we will see soon that return of the run oriented teams. In a good 5-7 years I think you will see more big name backs carry the load like Peterson does (think gurley and lsu kid). There is only so many qbs that can handle the pressure and load of carrying a whole offense on their shoulders and as defenses specialize to stop the pass the running game will be even more important. Just a thought.

I think I am the only one on the board that likes Tipton,  Fumbleson can sit for all I care.   :)

Tipton ain't bad. People hate him based on the preseason, but just like some of these other power backs he gets better with more touches.  I mean he's no Gore or Bradshaw but he doesn't stink as much as some suggest.

I agree with all that. Let's just not pretend that limiting a 32 year old RB is nonsensical.

It's not. But them saying they've already set goals for him in terms of attempts, rushing totals, etc...seems silly. Maybe it's not meant to be taken at 100% face value but it seems like they're being unnecessarily rigid with him.

It's not. But them saying they've already set goals for him in terms of attempts, rushing totals, etc...seems silly. Maybe it's not meant to be taken at 100% face value but it seems like they're being unnecessarily rigid with him.

Not really. They want to keep him in range of what he's done the last four years, and they want him to have something left in the playoffs. He's 32, playing the most physically demanding skill position. He's a little off his carries pace from last season, but they likely don't want him to be anywhere near 300 total touches, and they want to throw the ball to him (he already has as many catches this year as he did all of last year). He averaged 16.625 touches/game last year, and he's averaging 16.67 touches/game this year. 

It makes sense to me to be careful with a 32 year old RB. They should give him more carries, and stick with him when he's rolling, but they should still have some limits for him. 

More importantly, someone else needs to step up and play better at RB. 

Not really. They want to keep him in range of what he's done the last four years, and they want him to have something left in the playoffs. He's 32, playing the most physically demanding skill position. He's a little off his carries pace from last season, but they likely don't want him to be anywhere near 300 total touches, and they want to throw the ball to him (he already has as many catches this year as he did all of last year). He averaged 16.625 touches/game last year, and he's averaging 16.67 touches/game this year.

It makes sense to me to be careful with a 32 year old RB. They should give him more carries, and stick with him when he's rolling, but they should still have some limits for him.

More importantly, someone else needs to step up and play better at RB.

Ok. I'm all for keeping him on a pitch count....however, why not spread it out over the course of the game and pound the rock with Bradshaw and Tipton and get that balance to 50/50. Or better yet, save Gores carries or the majority of them until the second half against good teams? Wear them down with the other 2 backs, then turn Gore loose.

Regardless. We cannot call 26 straight pass plays. That is freaking madden video game crap. I'm not even sure anyone in madden does that.

Ok. I'm all for keeping him on a pitch count....however, why not spread it out over the course of the game and pound the rock with Bradshaw and Tipton and get that balance to 50/50. Or better yet, save Gores carries or the majority of them until the second half against good teams? Wear them down with the other 2 backs, then turn Gore loose.

Regardless. We cannot call 26 straight pass plays. That is freaking madden video game crap. I'm not even sure anyone in madden does that.

That's why I said somebody else has to step up. So far, he's the only one producing, and we need production to have balance and efficiency.

All these consecutive pass plays are a different issue entirely. And it's happened twice this season. I feel like they tried to get ahead of the Pats adjustments last week, and they just undermined their own efforts. But somewhere in that four possession stretch, someone needs to get it going, on the field or off.

Tipton ain't bad. People hate him based on the preseason, but just like some of these other power backs he gets better with more touches.  I mean he's no Gore or Bradshaw but he doesn't stink as much as some suggest.

I does depend on whether he does not fumble or get injured....HA! I know.  I love Gore and Bradshaw.

you guys looking at Gore's numbers in SF are seeing a cause and effect that was not there.  

In the last two games last season the 49ers really got their offense going, and Gore had 25+ carries each game.  He had no problem doing it.  He had a few other games during the year where their offense allowed him to have those kinds of touches and he typically produced.  

there were other games, however, where the offense just stunk and they couldn't get Gore any touches.  They had 5 games where he had 12 touches or less.  

The 49ers problems were mostly related to their line.  Boone held out and never really got in sync, because...Anthony Davis was injured most of the year and had a difficult time staying on the field.  Their starting center went out in pre-season, and their back up went out for the season shortly after.  Basically, their O-line was in shambles (it is again this year) and could not open holes in a lot of games.  Gore is a great back, but he's not going to move a pile...he needs creases to operate in and when they are not their, it's tough because he doesn't have the speed to improvise.

In short, give Gore the rock...he'll produce. 

Pitch counts are for people like toler who is returning from a recent injury. Gore has been fed nonstop and still has remained healthy over the years yet Pagano doesn't want him to overdo it..and don't get me started on the pass rush Mathis needs to just start period forget a count he obviously feels he's healthy enough and we desperately need him rushing more often..this staff is just ridiculous..crazy how our playmakers have to be pitch counted but trash like a few players I don't wanna name get to go full steam every play and amount to nothing

That's why I said somebody else has to step up. So far, he's the only one producing, and we need production to have balance and efficiency.

All these consecutive pass plays are a different issue entirely. And it's happened twice this season. I feel like they tried to get ahead of the Pats adjustments last week, and they just undermined their own efforts. But somewhere in that four possession stretch, someone needs to get it going, on the field or off.

I agree whole heartedly. One thing evident is that a good back can be successful in our system.  We've seen Ballard, Bradshaw, and now Gore be successful. I'm not saying the line issues are solved in our running game but I am saying that they have blocked well enough for a good back to find running room. Gore outside of those two redzone fumbles has been everything I've expected this year.  We just need to find that 2 back for our 1-2 combo because he clearly is doing his job. Like you said we need someone else to step up and continue the momentum that Frank is creating in the running game. I'm sure that is why they brought Bradshaw in to do (along with his success in the passing game historically for us) but as it stands we just aren't getting the production we need to give Pep the faith to keep pounding it or to have Andrew trust we can get positive plays in our running game.