Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone Concerned With Mewhort At Rt?

NagelHausForge

In the short term maybe....cause he's gotta adjust. But his struggles now don't guarentee he's gonna struggle all the time. If people had a littlw patience and will wait till actually gets some expirience under his belt, like 4-5 games worth and see how he's doing. It should be expected he's gonna struggle though. And I'll say this, don't be supprised he gets embarrassed a few times by that Rams D line. He's probably gonna get handled a few times.

But that's the thing, it could be short term struggles or he could struggle the entire season. We don't know. Hence, reason for concern. And this is a year we could be a real contender so having an unknown young RT is especially risky for us.

I'm not saying we should enter DEFCON 1 and expect the worst but it's logical to be concerned.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that's the thing, it could be short term struggles or he could struggle the entire season. We don't know. Hence, reason for concern. And this is a year we could be a real contender so having an unknown young RT is especially risky for us.

I'm not saying we should enter DEFCON 1 and expect the worst but it's logical to be concerned.

Considering you have no say in what position he plays nor do you have any control over whether he improves or not, I don't think it's logical to be concerned.

It is understandable but it's not logical. :)

We don't know alot of things lol like whether all of our linemen will stay healthy all season, whether Luck will suffer a season ending injury or not... in that case there's many things to worry and be concerned about.

Considering you have no say in what position he plays nor do you have any control over whether he improves or not, I don't think it's logical to be concerned.

It is understandable but it's not logical. :)

semantics.png

I think it's logical to be concerned. I don't need to have say in the matter in order to be concerned.

semantics.png

I think it's logical to be concerned. I don't need to have say in the matter in order to be concerned.

Like I said it's understandable but it's an emotional response because you are a fan of the team, it's not logical.  If it were logical you would be concerned about all teams that may or may not have an issue at RT.

I went to the game Saturday night and then re-watched the game yesterday and I noticed that Mewhort had a pretty rough game.  Even when they slid Allen over to his side to help chip before going out on his route Mewhort still let his man get by him and pressure Luck.  He allowed 1 sack on Luck as well early on that I saw. 

I know it is still early and there will always be growing pains (as Pagano likes to say) but is anyone out there concerned with Mewhort's ability to play RT?

I think this week's game will tell a lot about where he is at in his development.  I am not sure the Colts have a lot of other options on the roster right now that could play any better...

Any thoughts?

Im all for putting guys into a position they can be successful at that helps the team. We need to start right now putting a line together that can play together for a number of years. Now is the time to put Mewhort out there and get him to take over that position. Same with Holmes or whoever at C. Theres been too much moving around, mostly due to youth and injuries, its time to put a solid product out there.

Like I said it's understandable but it's an emotional response because you are a fan of the team, it's not logical. If it were logical you would be concerned about all teams that may or may not have an issue at RT.

Just because I'm emotionally invested does not mean my reasoning is not logical.

Like I said it's understandable but it's an emotional response because you are a fan of the team, it's not logical.  If it were logical you would be concerned about all teams that may or may not have an issue at RT.

If your child plays soccer and you want him to win, your emotional response doesn't become any less logical by acknowledging that your child might not win because his teammates suck at soccer.

If your child plays soccer and you want him to win, your emotional response doesn't become any less logical by acknowledging that your child might not win because his teammates suck at soccer.

Not the same thing.  One my child would never play soccer, two like you said the want and desire for the child to win is an emotional response not a logical response.  Objectively looking at their chance to win is a logical one.

Additionally, in that situation I have some control over the situation, I can pull my child off the team, I can petition to get the coach removed, I can take over coaching.

Just because I'm emotionally invested does not mean my reasoning is not logical.

Ahh I see I was not clear with my explanation, I think your reasoning about Mewhort's abilities at RT is logical.

It's the end result (being concerned) that is not logical because you have no control over the situation.  And I guess partly I am using concern as a synonym for worry and I it's never logical to worry about something in which you have no control.

Ahh I see I was not clear with my explanation, I think your reasoning about Mewhort's abilities at RT is logical.

It's the end result (being concerned) that is not logical because you have no control over the situation. And I guess partly I am using concern as a synonym for worry and I it's never logical to worry about something in which you have no control.

Ok, I follow you now. You're right, "concern" wasn't the best word choice.

I'll rephrase, "It's logical to expect issues from Mewhort at RT."

Not the same thing.  One my child would never play soccer, two like you said the want and desire for the child to win is an emotional response not a logical response.  Objectively looking at their chance to win is a logical one.

Additionally, in that situation I have some control over the situation, I can pull my child off the team, I can petition to get the coach removed, I can take over coaching.

Given your explanation, I see what you mean.  Not to go incredibly off topic, but just for fun, I still disagree that emotions are incapable of being logical.  Your feelings towards someone or something, while not able to be controlled are born out of the most basic of logical principles: cause and effect.  Without a cause, there is no emotional response (i.e. you can't want your child to win if you didn't have a child, or if you did have a child, did not formulate any sort of bond with that child that you could respond to emotionally)  If an emotional response to a cause can be understood, it is precisely because it is logical.  For instance, when you see someone propose to his/her significant other for their hand in marriage, people can understand how sappy, silly, romantic, etc. that the proposal is, because they can understand putting themselves in a similarly vulnerable position.  Depending on their experience with being in that vulnerable position, they may feel, logically, positive or negative emotions (i.e. the person is going to hate marriage, feelings toward their own spouse or significant other, etc.).  

Of course, because emotions are personal and the most subjective form of response to a cause, they are more objectionable, making the logical connection less clear.  But the very definition of logic is reasoning capable of validation.  If an emotional response is capable of validation, that is, able to be understood by others, it follows that those emotional responses are capable of validation.  Logic is a process, not a principle reserved only for academic principles, IMO.  One only need to review cultural science studies to see that logical prinicples are applied to emotional responses to a particular stimulus.  

Given your explanation, I see what you mean.  Not to go incredibly off topic, but just for fun, I still disagree that emotions are incapable of being logical.  Your feelings towards someone or something, while not able to be controlled are born out of the most basic of logical principles: cause and effect.  Without a cause, there is no emotional response (i.e. you can't want your child to win if you didn't have a child, or if you did have a child, did not formulate any sort of bond with that child that you could respond to emotionally)  If an emotional response to a cause can be understood, it is precisely because it is logical.  For instance, when you see someone propose to his/her significant other for their hand in marriage, people can understand how sappy, silly, romantic, etc. that the proposal is, because they can understand putting themselves in a similarly vulnerable position.  Depending on their experience with being in that vulnerable position, they may feel, logically, positive or negative emotions (i.e. the person is going to hate marriage, feelings toward their own spouse or significant other, etc.).  

Of course, because emotions are personal and the most subjective form of response to a cause, they are more objectionable, making the logical connection less clear.  But the very definition of logic is reasoning capable of validation.  If an emotional response is capable of validation, that is, able to be understood by others, it follows that those emotional responses are capable of validation.  Logic is a process, not a principle reserved only for academic principles, IMO.  One only need to review cultural science studies to see that logical prinicples are applied to emotional responses to a particular stimulus.  

I've probably been watching too much Shledon on Big Bang.

oh lordy  ...    stat boys.....  vs  ..........sigh...

Lets see..   E Mathis was what?  and NOBODY wanted dude til it was LATE...

I would have took a flier.   ...    whatever...  

This OL has issues.

Mewhort had a 92% pass block percentage

81% run block percentage. 81% needs to be at least 85% by what many O Line coaches I have ready consider acceptable

http://coltsacademy.com/?p=3781

oh lordy  ...    stat boys.....  vs  ..........sigh...

Lets see..   E Mathis was what?  and NOBODY wanted dude til it was LATE...

I would have took a flier.   ...    whatever...  

This OL has issues.

O Linemen have stats

I went back and watched Mewhorts 28 offensive snaps and on the play he gave up a sack that was just do to poor footwork and technique, If you watch on that same play how Castonzo handled his man Castonzo pretty well got flat facing the sideline as the rusher charged, Also Mewhorts hand placement was slow...He got surprised I think Mcphees power acceleration.....Also Mewhort cannot give up a direct path to the QB like he did to the inside

The very next play was just a case of Mewhort getting beat by a inside out move and poor footwork

By my count 4 missed blocks on 28 offensive snaps.....Good for 85%.......Generally O Linemen like that to be higher according an article I read by a former recent O Lineman but not bad, Has to improve

well your evaluation skills are lacking. Mewhort expected help inside on the sack. Not really his fault

if your child plays soccer, you are a bad parent

Here, I have your answer vrs great DE's- like Watt- while Mewhort learns the position.

Mewhort listed as RT.  But Good comes in listed as eligible receiver outside Mewhort.  This allows Mewhort a guy outside him giving him a 'comfort zone', While Good gets experience playing as a RT.

This cuts down real receivers...but adds serious pass protection, and run blocking.

Here, I have your answer vrs great DE's- like Watt- while Mewhort learns the position.

Mewhort listed as RT.  But Good comes in listed as eligible receiver outside Mewhort.  This allows Mewhort a guy outside him giving him a 'comfort zone', While Good gets experience playing as a RT.

This cuts down real receivers...but adds serious pass protection, and run blocking.

I wouldn't be surprised if Good is used in the extra lineman capacity this year.  I feel pretty certain that we would use him similar to how the Patriots used Cameron Fleming against us.  Coincidentally they both have the same number 71.  I wonder if they put thought into that when they gave him that number.  If he does well with that role as the season pushes on I wouldn't be surprised to see them slide Good in as the full time tackle and move Mewhort back over to the guard. Not saying it will happen, but it wouldn't shock me.

I wouldn't be surprised if Good is used in the extra lineman capacity this year.  I feel pretty certain that we would use him similar to how the Patriots used Cameron Fleming against us.  Coincidentally they both have the same number 71.  I wonder if they put thought into that when they gave him that number.  If he does well with that role as the season pushes on I wouldn't be surprised to see them slide Good in as the full time tackle and move Mewhort back over to the guard. Not saying it will happen, but it wouldn't shock me.

I'm a little surprised that folks are as positive about Good right now as they are.  The movement, size, strength - the physical talent is everything you'd hope.  However, I was kind of stunned, when I rewatched the game, by how out of position, how off balance he was against their second and third team edge players.  There were a couple plays that he looked like he didn't compete on - which I realize can be a sign of confusion, and that can improve - but I saw a practice squad player vs. the Bears, not a guy that would figure into the mix this year.

I think we have some backup QB syndrome at RT currently.  Everybody is so concerned with what Mewhort is not, that they are only seeing what Good is. 

I'm a little surprised that folks are as positive about Good right now as they are.  The movement, size, strength - the physical talent is everything you'd hope.  However, I was kind of stunned, when I rewatched the game, by how out of position, how off balance he was against their second and third team edge players.  There were a couple plays that he looked like he didn't compete on - which I realize can be a sign of confusion, and that can improve - but I saw a practice squad player vs. the Bears, not a guy that would figure into the mix this year.

I think we have some backup QB syndrome at RT currently.  Everybody is so concerned with what Mewhort is not, that they are only seeing what Good is. 

Good is a good player, but you have to expect some up and down performances coming from Mars Hill.  I didn't think he was all that bad against Chicago, but I thought he definitely performed better against Philly.

I think Mewhort will make a solid RT and I still think Good is playing well.  Of course he looks confused on some plays and he is learning the speed of the game but he has the balance, strength, size and agility to play the position, the confusion and getting used to the speed of the game will come with reps in a real game situation.

Good is a good player, but you have to expect some up and down performances coming from Mars Hill.  I didn't think he was all that bad against Chicago, but I thought he definitely performed better against Philly.

I see the positives, but if I go from "Look at this guys potential" to projecting him as next man up, then the gap looks much larger than can be crossed this season.  It was a basic competence issue not minor technique refinements.  We'll see how he does this week - there is no reason to define a rookie after a couple practice games. 

I see the positives, but if I go from "Look at this guys potential" to projecting him as next man up, then the gap looks much larger than can be crossed this season.  It was a basic competence issue not minor technique refinements.  We'll see how he does this week - there is no reason to define a rookie after a couple practice games. 

In my eyes I'm not projecting him as next man up within the next few weeks or next early couple of games.  What I was saying was as the season progresses.  To clarify I meant maybe later on in the year as he gets more reps and practice time along with getting used to being in the NFL. I'm thinking maybe around the 10th game or later assuming he continues trending in the right direction.  Now if we are just using him similar to Cameron Fleming gets used in New England I could see some playing time much earlier than that. 

I think if we gradually bring him along with small stuff like being the extra lineman he'll get some game experience and learn more about how to set his blocks up along with the general flow of the game.  If for some reason much later in the season we decided to let him start ,or we have to stick him in there due to injuries I believe he is going to be a better player than what we see now.  At that point he will have already had a full offseason, preseason and tons of practices.  Plus any game experience obtained from being used as the additional lineman.  And again this is all assuming he keeps trending in the right way.

In my eyes I'm not projecting him as next man up within the next few weeks or next early couple of games.  What I was saying was as the season progresses.  To clarify I meant maybe later on in the year as he gets more reps and practice time along with getting used to being in the NFL. I'm thinking maybe around the 10th game or later assuming he continues trending in the right direction.  Now if we are just using him similar to Cameron Fleming gets used in New England I could see some playing time much earlier than that. 

I think if we gradually bring him along with small stuff like being the extra lineman he'll get some game experience and learn more about how to set his blocks up along with the general flow of the game.  If for some reason much later in the season we decided to let him start ,or we have to stick him in there due to injuries I believe he is going to be a better player than what we see now.  At that point he will have already had a full offseason, preseason and tons of practices.  Plus any game experience obtained from being used as the additional lineman.  And again this is all assuming he keeps trending in the right way.

That is absolutely fair - especially considering that Joe Reitz is next man up....of course, that means you need a next, next man up - but we have that too in Herremans.  I certainly think that we got a lot more than we paid for in both Good and John as Tackle prospects, and I'm a big fan of the way we used those picks to select players who are talented enough to play the position after a few years in the league.  

To be honest, the coaching staff has made a few puzzling moves over the past couple of seasons with the offensive line with this included. You had Harrison getting the nod at center when he had trouble getting the snap off correctly to Luck. Now you have Mewhort in at right tackle. I don't usually slam the Colts but this move had better not backfire on them. This isn't Madden where you can put your highest rated players anywhere and expect the same performance play in and play out.

I don't think he's next man up material, either. And I don't know about using a regular roster spot and certainly a game day roster spot for a guy who isn't ready to play the position yet. I think he can play the extra OL role, but I don't see him getting the shot to play that position.

I don't think he's next man up material, either. And I don't know about using a regular roster spot and certainly a game day roster spot for a guy who isn't ready to play the position yet. I think he can play the extra OL role, but I don't see him getting the shot to play that position.

Exactly my point of my post.  Good is not a starter, not yet.  But there is alot of potential there and using him as an extra body to help the o-line would be beneficial multiple ways.  Not only do you get a physically gifted man on the edge helping with blocking, you also give him playing time to learn his role.

This is not a every play scenario,...not even often.  Just in terms of short yardage situations, or just to mix the pot so to speak.

He could be our long term answer to RT,...But he needs game time reps to learn quicker if Mewhort does not pan out there.

Exactly my point of my post.  Good is not a starter, not yet.  But there is alot of potential there and using him as an extra body to help the o-line would be beneficial multiple ways.  Not only do you get a physically gifted man on the edge helping with blocking, you also give him playing time to learn his role.

This is not a every play scenario,...not even often.  Just in terms of short yardage situations, or just to mix the pot so to speak.

He could be our long term answer to RT,...But he needs game time reps to learn quicker if Mewhort does not pan out there.

Ehh, I get that. I'm just saying I don't see them using a game day roster spot on an OL who isn't ready to play OL yet. You typically only dress 7 OL any given week. They should all be able to play, if necessary.