Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis Will Be A Colts In 2012

wercolts

if the colts feel that hughes is ready to be a full time starter then i can see mathis being let go. as for reggie, we really dont have anyone on the roster to replace him so i cant see the colts letting him go

It's more a matter of money than need with Reggie. Hughes has shown no signs he's even in the Frathis area code.

As far as the calendar, isn't Hayden in this years?

It's more a matter of money than need with Reggie. Hughes has shown no signs he's even in the Frathis area code.

hughes doesnt get many opportunites to play. he does show signs of good pass rush sometimes. do i think hes better then the mathis of course not, but do i think he can play and help the team yes.

I know it's not a popular view to stick up for Hughes, but I honestly think he'd be a pretty good pass rusher. He doesn't have the size or ability to be an every down DE, but really none of our DEs are every down. A tandem of Anderson/Brayton on run downs, and Freeney/Hughes on pass downs would be a pretty stout tandem if I say so myself......as well as it should be considering they're all first round picks. I would not say Hughes was worth his draft pick status though. If I'm a GM, I don't spend a first rounder on a situational pass rusher. But in the past when he's been in on pass rushing downs, he has gotten pretty good pressure. I'd say Mathis is not a must sign.

hughes doesnt get many opportunites to play. he does show signs of good pass rush sometimes. do i think hes better then the mathis of course not, but do i think he can play and help the team yes.

I hope you're right, and that it's a matter of getting more reps and experience. Mathis didn't start out setting the world on fire his first couple years (except on ST's) if I remember right. Of course, I don't think anyone expected him to be as good as he turned out to be either.

I know it's not a popular view to stick up for Hughes, but I honestly think he'd be a pretty good pass rusher. He doesn't have the size or ability to be an every down DE, but really none of our DEs are every down. A tandem of Anderson/Brayton on run downs, and Freeney/Hughes on pass downs would be a pretty stout tandem if I say so myself......as well as it should be considering they're all first round picks. I would not say Hughes was worth his draft pick status though. If I'm a GM, I don't spend a first rounder on a situational pass rusher. But in the past when he's been in on pass rushing downs, he has gotten pretty good pressure. I'd say Mathis is not a must sign.

I disagree I think Mathis is a must sign. He has been the heart & soul of the defense this year!!

i hope wayne doesnt leave or mathis both are a impoetant part of this team, as is beathea. but i can see wayne leaving, something about this season didn't seam right with him and the coaching staff/fo, letting a player of that caliber walk is a big mistake. mathis wont be going anywhere i hope. ah man the more i write the more im getting worried about these two, they wouldn't let them walk would they? im throwing my hat at angerer as the best player on the def, JUST because hes from my hometown, no dislike towards beathea i like him too, its just a little hometowness thing.

i hope wayne doesnt leave or mathis both are a impoetant part of this team, as is beathea. but i can see wayne leaving, something about this season didn't seam right with him and the coaching staff/fo, letting a player of that caliber walk is a big mistake. mathis wont be going anywhere i hope. ah man the more i write the more im getting worried about these two, they wouldn't let them walk would they? im throwing my hat at angerer as the best player on the def, JUST because hes from my hometown, no dislike towards beathea i like him too, its just a little hometowness thing.

Holy cow, I think you just had a breakdown? It will be okay Everything will work out fine this offseason

Hoping neither Mathis or Wayne leave. Do not know how these guys would do on the open market. Seems like Mathis needs Freeney...Wayne is getting up there and it seems that when a WR gets to be a certain age they decline quickly....TO, ocho, moss all seemed to just drop off in one off season....

I agree with you. I do not see Hughes ready to be the starter. I think we really need Mathis on this team, he helps Freeney and Freeney helps Mathis.

I wouldn't mind Wayne leaving. Love the guy but we can get a young WR who can produce as much for cheaper. I prefer Mathis of Dwight.

Who do you have in mind? It doesn't look like we are going to take one high in the draft and players like that tend not to be free agents and frankly the Colts don't have one on the roster. I am not disagreeing that we might not resign Wayne I just don't think he will be easy to replace. Frankly we've been spoiled first by Marvin and then by Reggie Wayne that we haven't had to look for a number one WR in a long time.

We can get a good WR through the draft or free agency. PM can make any WR great.

1. Like I just said it doesn't sound like the Colts are planning to use a high draft pick on a WR so I wouldn't look for a great young WR in this draft. You might get another Garcon or Collie a mid to late round pick but those guys aren't going to be a true number one WR.

2. Young good WRs don't become free agents and if they do we aren't going to have money to go get them. If we had money we would resign Reggie Wayne.

3. No Peyton can't make any WR great, he didn't make Pathon, Green, Ismail, Moorehead, Hal and many other WRs who played with him great. At some point the player has to have talent on their own. He can make a WR better but he can't just take anyone and make them great. More proof of that even with Manning Garcon and Collie are both very good but neither is a number one WR which is the problem if we let Wayne go.

4. There is no promise Peyton Manning is going to be healthy here next year.

Again I think fans have been spolied for having Marvin and Reggie for so long we take a true number one WR for granted a little bit. They don't grow on trees and if we let Wayne go he will be missed and probably not truly replaced this off-season unless the Colts do something shocking with the top pick.

Speaking of Reggie Wayne, Philip B. reported yesterday Wayne has already cleaned out his lockerroom and took his name plate down.

Oh wow now thats something... so long reggie... after watching todays game the colts really need help on the OLine front.

Oh wow now thats something... so long reggie... after watching todays game the colts really need help on the OLine front.

We need Ijalana healthy that'll help. Today Link got abused because we were in a passing situation almost all day which is where Link really struggles. He's good at run blocking but his pass blocking skills are so bad it offsets it. Hopefully Ijalana will come in next year and lock up that RT spot like the Colts had probably invisioned him doing. With that said that only sures up the tackle spots. I think we have one guy in Reitz locked in on the middle of the line. Pollack COULD be a guy but even if he is we are one guy short. So we either have to keep Saturday or Diem or find another lineman. Also while talking about Wayne yesterday Philip B. said he gets the feeling from talking to Diem and Saturday he thinks both will retire so we probably need another middle o-lineman.

We need Ijalana healthy that'll help. Today Link got abused because we were in a passing situation almost all day which is where Link really struggles. He's good at run blocking but his pass blocking skills are so bad it offsets it. Hopefully Ijalana will come in next year and lock up that RT spot like the Colts had probably invisioned him doing. With that said that only sures up the tackle spots. I think we have one guy in Reitz locked in on the middle of the line. Pollack COULD be a guy but even if he is we are one guy short. So we either have to keep Saturday or Diem or find another lineman. Also while talking about Wayne yesterday Philip B. said he gets the feeling from talking to Diem and Saturday he thinks both will retire so we probably need another middle o-lineman.

Yea i already knew diem was gonna retire, he mentioned it earlier before the season started... if saturday retires pollack is gonna take his spot which leaves a hole at guard... hopefully ijalana does pan out. as for mathis the guy is definitely a keeper... wishing soo much that the colts dont draft luck and trade down... they have so many holes on their team.

I'm REALLY hoping we're able to re-sign Reggie & Mathis...

I think Mathis gets the tag so I doubt he's going to leave.

Wayne is the big question mark and frankly Wayne's future in Indy might very well depend on Manning's health. If Manning can come back bringing back an aging guy in Wayne makes sense. If we have Luck as the starter well then tying up money in an aging WR doesn't make as much sense. Also what happens with Garcon will play a role as well in what happens to Wayne. If Someone is foolish enough to give Garcon number one money or over pay for him and we can't bring him back then you almost have to bring back Wayne because the only other WR who has sepnt major time in the offese you have under contract is Collie.

1. Like I just said it doesn't sound like the Colts are planning to use a high draft pick on a WR so I wouldn't look for a great young WR in this draft. You might get another Garcon or Collie a mid to late round pick but those guys aren't going to be a true number one WR.

2. Young good WRs don't become free agents and if they do we aren't going to have money to go get them. If we had money we would resign Reggie Wayne.

3. No Peyton can't make any WR great, he didn't make Pathon, Green, Ismail, Moorehead, Hal and many other WRs who played with him great. At some point the player has to have talent on their own. He can make a WR better but he can't just take anyone and make them great. More proof of that even with Manning Garcon and Collie are both very good but neither is a number one WR which is the problem if we let Wayne go.

4. There is no promise Peyton Manning is going to be healthy here next year.

Again I think fans have been spolied for having Marvin and Reggie for so long we take a true number one WR for granted a little bit. They don't grow on trees and if we let Wayne go he will be missed and probably not truly replaced this off-season unless the Colts do something shocking with the top pick.

Colts can get a good WR is the 2nd and even 3rd. Or maybe first if they trade 1st pick. There are some good WR free agents this year. Wayne will want a lot of money and he's getting old. We can get the same production from a new WR or even a WR on our roster.

Colts can get a good WR is the 2nd and even 3rd. Or maybe first if they trade 1st pick. There are some good WR free agents this year. Wayne will want a lot of money and he's getting old. We can get the same production from a new WR or even a WR on our roster.

We can probably keep Gonzo for a song (doubtful, apparently he's in the doghouse). But if he's healthy, he's as good as any WR we could get in the 3rd round on. No doubt, we won't find anyone as good as Reggie via FA or draft, but it's not like the cupboard is bare.

They aren't going to trade the pick they are going to take Luck our owner all but said that two weeks ago.

A 2nd or 3rd round guy probably isn't going to be a true number one WR and probably isn't going to be one as a rookie either. Also looking at most mock drafts there doesn't seem to be a WR projected to go high in the second round so that means someone would probably really have to fall or we would have to reach on someone at that spot. Now granted that can change between now and the draft but how many third round picks do you know that are viewed as being a number one guy? That's why I said you can get another guy like Collie or Garcon who is a nice 2nd or 3rd WR but outside of the first round you really don't find many guys who are going to come in and be viewed as number one going forward. If we lose Wayne that means we probably resign Garcon and he's our number one WR next year. I am not saying that's not what is going to happen. I am just saying replacing Wayne isn't going to be as easy as you make it seem like.

We can probably keep Gonzo for a song (doubtful, apparently he's in the doghouse). But if he's healthy, he's as good as any WR we could get in the 3rd round on. No doubt, we won't find anyone as good as Reggie via FA or draft, but it's not like the cupboard is bare.

You know what i am not sure about that before the injuries he was. Since then the little he's played he hasn't looked nearly as good as he did before the injuries. Sometimes guys just don't come back from injuries. I hate to say it because I liked Gonzo a lot at the start of his career but I think he's done.

They aren't going to trade the pick they are going to take Luck our owner all but said that two weeks ago.

A 2nd or 3rd round guy probably isn't going to be a true number one WR and probably isn't going to be one as a rookie either. Also looking at most mock drafts there doesn't seem to be a WR projected to go high in the second round so that means someone would probably really have to fall or we would have to reach on someone at that spot. Now granted that can change between now and the draft but how many third round picks do you know that are viewed as being a number one guy? That's why I said you can get another guy like Collie or Garcon who is a nice 2nd or 3rd WR but outside of the first round you really don't find many guys who are going to come in and be viewed as number one going forward. If we lose Wayne that means we probably resign Garcon and he's our number one WR next year. I am not saying that's not what is going to happen. I am just saying replacing Wayne isn't going to be as easy as you make it seem like.

Ashlon will be available in 2nd most likely. Ur mind is already made up though which is understandable Wayne is awesome. I just don't see them paying him. You don't believe it but we can get same production from another WR via draft free agency or our own roster.

Ashlon will be available in 2nd most likely. Ur mind is already made up though which is understandable Wayne is awesome. I just don't see them paying him. You don't believe it but we can get same production from another WR via draft free agency or our own roster.

No I don't becuase those other WRs benefit from Reggie drawing the double teams and MOST rookie WRs taken outside of the first round don't come in and be a number one WR right away, if they could they would be first round picks.

Free Agency is a case of one good young WRs don't become free agents and two we don't have money for one because if we did we would resign Reggie.

No I don't becuase those other WRs benefit from Reggie drawing the double teams and MOST rookie WRs taken outside of the first round don't come in and be a number one WR right away, if they could they would be first round picks.

Free Agency is a case of one good young WRs don't become free agents and two we don't have money for one because if we did we would resign Reggie.

Reggie doesn't always draw double teams. But no explaining anything to you. Reggie Wayne can not be replaced. If we don't have him we don't have a number 1 and can't get one.

That sound better?

Reggie doesn't always draw double teams. But no explaining anything to you. Reggie Wayne can not be replaced. If we don't have him we don't have a number 1 and can't get one.

That sound better?

I didn't say he always draws it I said the other benfit from the times he does draw it, he also draws their number one corner.

It's going to be very hard to get one this off-season unless Garcon takes the next step or we resign Reggie Wayne or we do something unexpected in the draft.

It is more likely we will probably get one in the draft next year. Like I said from the start my main point was to tell you that replacing Reggie Wayne wasn't going to be as easy as you make it seem for a varaity of reasons. I have said many times just because it's going to be hard it doesn't mean we aren't going to resign Reggie Wayne. There is a very real chance we let Wayne go and do our best with Garcon (if we keep him) and focus on a true number one WR in the draft next year.

Robert Mathis is THE example of a high motor, never quit, team first kind of player and Jim Irsay knows it! He embodies what the Colts want out of every guy who wears the horseshoe. Robert Mathis WILL be a Colt next season.