Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kenny Stabler Dies at 69

pacolts56

story was retracted by the tuscaloosa news. not sure w*f is actually happening  :scratch:

Can you imagine the retraction on this if indeed true? "The Snake" has not shed his skin after all...Oops! 

http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_28460648/raiders-legend-ken-stabler-dead-at-69

Creating this thread is not a negative reflection on my friend PAC56 at all who is an awesome guy BTW.  :thmup:  I just wanted PAC56 to know that. 

Like SDS said, nobody knows what's going down here at all. 

I apologize in advance for my tongue in cheek humor. I realize it was in poor taste sorry. My sincerest condolences to the Stabler friends & family grieving right now. 

Can you imagine the retraction on this if indeed true? "The Snake" has not shed his skin after all...Oops!

http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_28460648/raiders-legend-ken-stabler-dead-at-69

Creating this thread is not a negative reflection on my friend PAC56 at all who is an awesome guy BTW. :thmup: I just wanted PAC56 to know that.

Like SDS said, nobody knows what's going down here at all.

Welp....usually news orgs confirm these things.

Evidently he's alive but in bad shape according to FOXSports Steve Gorman.

Hopefully he recovers from whatever drove the bad report.

wow...what a news blunder

Uh huh. Being the first to report news out of the gate doesn't mean much without the necessary verification prior to going live with the story eh. Good point OUM. 

This kind of sloppy journalism gets reporters fired. Just ask Dan Rather who was dismissed by CBS Evening News quite a few years ago. I would suspect the reporter in question will get suspended in some capacity, but what kind of editor doesn't double check to see if Mr. Stabler is still alive first? It's beyond Twilight Zone bizarre territory here. 

Could you imagine if a relative read in the paper or online that a beloved relative is dead, broke down emotionally, & then discovered it was all a horrible misprint? Yikes! On the 1 hand you are furious at the publication & on the other hand you are relived to know that this nightmare is over. 

It's like Ritchie Valens mother discovering her son didn't die in a plane crash after all in 1959. Weird. 

Sad..hoping it wasnt true.

The leader of the Raiders greatest team..Game was never over. He was Montana and Elway and Manning and Brady in the fourth quarter..

ran the streets all Saturday night and ran the team Sunday afternoon..and was successful at both

One of the NFL's greatest legends

The Snake was one of our biggest nightmares!!!  As a Chargers' fan I hated him - on the field only of course :-)  Not the least for the much hated, bile inducing "holy roller" play.  I still believe today, with instant replay and challenges would not have held up to scrutiny.  Stabler tossed the ball underhand forward, it should have been a dead forward pass - but I'm not too bitter  :thmdown:

RIP Stabler, you died much too young.  

The Snake was one of our biggest nightmares!!!  As a Chargers' fan I hated him - on the field only of course :-)  Not the least for the much hated, bile inducing "holy roller" play.  I still believe today, with instant replay and challenges would not have held up to scrutiny.  Stabler tossed the ball underhand forward, it should have been a dead forward pass - but I'm not too bitter  :thmdown:

RIP Stabler, you died much too young.

I dont now how to describe him to so many who werent old enough to watch back then.

There is no one like him today...

He had an aura like Dale Earnhardt and Brett Farve........could stumble around for 3 quarters and then rally his troops..

Country boy swagger..and the ability to ad-lib plays to the hilt.

Just no one like him

Dan rather was fired because the ratings slipped. Lying about the Vietnam War was what kept him on the job all those years.

Also Stabler admitted he chuncked it forward on purpose a few years ago.

I missed that admission - at least he got it off his chest before he passed (forgive a little humor at Kenny's expense).  Somehow I think he would enjoy it anyway.  So glad the day he retired, LOL!  I'll be just as happy the day Peyton Manning retires.  It's all about the division.  

I dont now how to describe him to so many who werent old enough to watch back then.

There is no one like him today...

He had an aura like Dale Earnhardt and Brett Farve........could stumble around for 3 quarters and then rally his troops..

Country boy swagger..and the ability to ad-lib plays to the hilt.

Just no one like him

Good analogy with Earnhardt and Favre, Mark.

Of course the "ghost to the post" play is one I'd rather forget....but Kenny the Snake was one of a kind for sure.

This is a sad day. I was a Raiders fan and season ticket holder when The Snake played. It didn't matter what the score was or how much time was left, he played every down like it was 0:02 left in the Super Bowl and he was down by 6 points. There were no "green sticker" helmets in those days, and Snake called his own plays. Once in a while you would see him in the huddle, drawing up a play in the grass with his finger. Those Raider teams of the Stabler era were special, with eight future HOFers, and many believe that Kenny should be right in there with them.

Rest in peace, Snake. You will be missed. 

This is a sad day. I was a Raiders fan and season ticket holder when The Snake played. It didn't matter what the score was or how much time was left, he played every down like it was 0:02 left in the Super Bowl and he was down by 6 points. There were no "green sticker" helmets in those days, and Snake called his own plays. Once in a while you would see him in the huddle, drawing up a play in the grass with his finger. Those Raider teams of the Stabler era were special, with eight future HOFers, and many believe that Kenny should be right in there with them.

Rest in peace, Snake. You will be missed. 

Yes the Snake should be in the HOF. His numbers are comparable to Joe Namath so I don't understand why he isn't there. I think he will be inducted but it is sad he didn't live to see it.

Yes the Snake should be in the HOF. His numbers are comparable to Joe Namath so I don't understand why he isn't there. I think he will be inducted but it is sad he didn't live to see it.

I was very surprised to find out he wasnt a HOFer.

crazycolt1...you just exemplified why I don't get that rustled about amfootball's trolling. You a few other Colts fans make it so easy sometimes that he might as well.

Anyway as for The Snake, I loved the guy but he was alot like Joe Namath off the field. Joe got a get out of jail and into the HoF free card when he predicted the biggest upset of alltime. That's the only reason he's in. I don't know why people can't get their head's around that. The Snake also pulled the Immaculate Deception (could you imagine if somebody did that today...people would never let it go).

crazycolt1...you just exemplified why I don't get that rustled about amfootball's trolling. You a few other Colts fans make it so easy sometimes that he might as well.

Anyway as for The Snake, I loved the guy but he was alot like Joe Namath off the field. Joe got a get out of jail and into the HoF free card when he predicted the biggest upset of alltime. That's the only reason he's in. I don't know why people can't get their head's around that. The Snake also pulled the Immaculate Deception (could you imagine if somebody did that today...people would never let it go).

Maybe if you made your comment about the subject in the thread I wouldn't have ask what does Dan Rather have to do with Kenny Stabler? Also I don't think the Raider fans have forgotten about the Immaculate Reception. Stabler was also known for The Ghost To The Post, The Holy Roller and The Sea Of Hands. And something else I guess you didn't know is amfootball is not a he.

Maybe if you made your comment about the subject in the thread I wouldn't have ask what does Dan Rather have to do with Kenny Stabler? Also I don't think the Raider fans have forgotten about the Immaculate Reception. Stabler was also known for The Ghost To The Post, The Holy Roller and The Sea Of Hands. And something else I guess you didn't know is amfootball is not a he.

I was clearly referring to the post right above mine where somebody mentioned Dan Rather. All Am's sex means is that you let a girl get you all bent out of shape.

I was clearly referring to the post right above mine where somebody mentioned Dan Rather. All Am's sex means is that you let a girl get you all bent out of shape.

I let a girl get me bent out of shape? In case you didn't know this is a forum. AM is a grown woman, not a girl. We barb each other but I wouldn't call it bent. I do not lose any sleep over what she says and I am quite sure she feels the same about what I comment on.  All I ask you what does Rather have to do with this article. Rather did blunder but he was a highly rated journalist at one time. As far as him lying about Vietnam the whole government lied and Rather was far from the only one who the government dictated what was put over the air. All this is too far off topic so I will not comment on it anymore.

I was very surprised to find out he wasnt a HOFer.

isn't that something...?

I assumed he was......Super bow champ.......MVP....almost a folk hero

His numbers arent huge but it was the 70s. He was a rascal off the field but he was very popular with the media.

Does anybody have an idea of why he isnt in?

I missed that admission - at least he got it off his chest before he passed (forgive a little humor at Kenny's expense).  Somehow I think he would enjoy it anyway.  So glad the day he retired, LOL!  I'll be just as happy the day Peyton Manning retires.  It's all about the division.

Girl: Knowing you are an SD fan, (I was a diehard Raider fan) I want to un-officially apologize to your entire franchise for that

scandalous play.

I remember as a kid thinking that it was a fortunate accident for Oakland...and that they deserved to win.

Watching the old NFL Films (very well done) replays of vintage Oakland games again this weekend..its so obvious that not only did Kenny Stabler intentionally fumble (4th down..no time outs left) but two other Raiders 'inadvertantly' fumbled the ball forward for the winning TD..

Good old days. I remember the Raiders, Chargers and Kansas City Chiefs used to be on NBC almost every Sunday at 3 p.m. (CST)

I used to think Kansas City was way out west because they were in the same division with Oakland and SD (I wasnt that bright a kid).

Dan Fouts,. John Hadl. Daryle Lamonica, Kenny Stabler and Jim Plunkett..old Len Dawson.

Those guys stood tall.

I let a girl get me bent out of shape?

Yes...you do...all the time. You get just like this Xs 1000 over anything she says.

All I ask you what does Rather have to do with this article.

Ask the person who brought him up if it's that big a deal Mr I don't get bent out of shape on forums. You could cherry pick 40 things out of every thread and ask what they have to do with the title of the thread. Why you're plastered to Dan Rather here, and not even the original source of his mention, is just...Idk. Brings me back to my original point about am.

Yes...you do...all the time. You get just like this Xs 1000 over anything she says.

Ask the person who brought him up if it's that big a deal Mr I don't get bent out of shape on forums. You could cherry pick 40 things out of every thread and ask what they have to do with the title of the thread. Why you're plastered to Dan Rather here, and not even the original source of his mention, is just...Idk. Brings me back to my original point about am.

Off topic. If you would like to stay on topic I would be glad to debate or converse.

Girl: Knowing you are an SD fan, (I was a diehard Raider fan) I want to un-officially apologize to your entire franchise for that

scandalous play.

I remember as a kid thinking that it was a fortunate accident for Oakland...and that they deserved to win.

Watching the old NFL Films (very well done) replays of vintage Oakland games again this weekend..its so obvious that not only did Kenny Stabler intentionally fumble (4th down..no time outs left) but two other Raiders 'inadvertantly' fumbled the ball forward for the winning TD..

Good old days. I remember the Raiders, Chargers and Kansas City Chiefs used to be on NBC almost every Sunday at 3 p.m. (CST)

I used to think Kansas City was way out west because they were in the same division with Oakland and SD (I wasnt that bright a kid).

Dan Fouts,. John Hadl. Daryle Lamonica, Kenny Stabler and Jim Plunkett..old Len Dawson.

Those guys stood tall.

And with that transparent admission to a grave wrong, the wounds can begin to heal...   :P

Girl: Knowing you are an SD fan, (I was a diehard Raider fan) I want to un-officially apologize to your entire franchise for thatscandalous play.I remember as a kid thinking that it was a fortunate accident for Oakland...and that they deserved to win.Watching the old NFL Films (very well done) replays of vintage Oakland games again this weekend..its so obvious that not only did Kenny Stabler intentionally fumble (4th down..no time outs left) but two other Raiders 'inadvertantly' fumbled the ball forward for the winning TD..Good old days. I remember the Raiders, Chargers and Kansas City Chiefs used to be on NBC almost every Sunday at 3 p.m. (CST)I used to think Kansas City was way out west because they were in the same division with Oakland and SD (I wasnt that bright a kid).Dan Fouts,. John Hadl. Daryle Lamonica, Kenny Stabler and Jim Plunkett..old Len Dawson.Those guys stood tall.

Hey, OUM ...Speaking of "old Len Dawson"... Remember Stram's famous 2 quotes from Super Bowl IV that involved Lenny/Chiefs?

1. "Keep a-trick-i-latin' the ball down the field boys!"

2. "65 Toss-Power Trap"

Priceless.

I hear you CS....

Remenber the time the Raiders Ben Davidson cheap-shotted (if that's a word) Lenny Dawson after he was down. Otis Taylor punched him and it started a brawl? Ahhhhh,...the good old days.

What I didn't know until this weekend was that...the gensis of the rivalry (other than the fact that they are 2 original AFL teams and have always played in the same division) was that the Kansas City major league baseball team moved to Oakland and became the As in 1967 and Kansas City wasn't happy about it at all.

I hear you CS....Remenber the time the Raiders Ben Davidson cheap-shotted (if that's a word) Lenny Dawson after he was down. Otis Taylor punched him and it started a brawl? Ahhhhh,...the good old days.What I didn't know until this weekend was that...the gensis of the rivalry (other than the fact that they are 2 original AFL teams and have always played in the same division) was that the Kansas City major league baseball team moved to Oakland and became the As in 1967 and Kansas City wasn't happy about it at all.

Hahahaaaa. I remember that play and brawl. Davidson deserved everything he got. OT stated after the game (unofficially of course), "the next time won't happen!" Hehehe ... And, he meant it. :)

I will never forget the great double overtime game between the Colts and the Raiders. Bert Jones versus Stabler and both teams had great supporting casts. What a heartbreaker to lose but when Stabler got on the field he became an assassin. You count him like Manning or Brady to take the team to glory in the last 30 seconds.  Big loss, great guy and he played in one of the great eras of the game.

I will never forget the great double overtime game between the Colts and the Raiders. Bert Jones versus Stabler and both teams had great supporting casts. What a heartbreaker to lose but when Stabler got on the field he became an assassin. You count him like Manning or Brady to take the team to glory in the last 30 seconds.  Big loss, great guy and he played in one of the great eras of the game.

The "Ghost to the Post" game.

Wasn't that the last playoff game for the Colts in Baltimore?