Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drew Brees Breaks Dan Marino's All Time Single Season Passing Record...

bap1331

No, but Drew Brees threw about 100 more passes to break the record. But give the guy credit, there's been 3 5,000 passing seasons and Brees has 2 of them.

I'd still take Marino any day over Brees.

yea. also Brees only passes the balls. I BARELY see him ever run the ball.

It just makes you wish Manning could have played for a coach like Payton.

True dat. Sean Payton is a stat chaser and what would he have done if Brent Grimes separated Brees' shoulder on the sideline while Brees was running for a first down? Then the Falcons would be back as a #6 seed in NO, trying to beat NO again with Brees nursing a bum shoulder in a wild card game without a bye week (fat chance Rams beat the 49ers if the 49ers play for the #2 seeding).

Manning would have definitely gotten past 50 TDs, no doubt about that in 2004. He was pulled out of 4th quarters and not chasing stats like Payton did with Brees. To me, this is much worse than Belichick who was accused of running the score with Brady in 2007. Sean Payton makes no bones about it. At some point, it will backfire with a critical injury, maybe he will learn then.

I always hated Dan Marino (if you were around watching games back then, you may remember what an obnoxious egomaniac he was).

But if he played in today's NFL, he could probably throw for 6,000 yards in a season if he had the line and receivers to do it.

I do have to say this: If this were Brady doing this, Colt fans here would be complaining about the Patriots running up the score.

You guys DO realize that Brees broke the record by throwing the ball with first and goal with the team up by 18+ points already, right? Late in the 4th quarter? Despite the fact that the Saints have a strong running game?

So it's okay when a non-rival does it... got it :)

I do have to say this: If this were Brady doing this, Colt fans here would be complaining about the Patriots running up the score.

You guys DO realize that Brees broke the record by throwing the ball with first and goal with the team up by 18+ points already, right? Late in the 4th quarter? Despite the fact that the Saints have a strong running game?

No, I agree with you. It wasn't tasteful or classy that they did it.

They still were going to go full force into their last game playing for the #2 seeding, they could have gotten the record easily then. It was classless by Sean Payton. I don't think even Belichick would have done what Sean Payton did yesterday, to be honest. In 2007, there were several instances that Brady sat and they ran the ball a lot. Even if it was the last few minutes, the Pats scored by running the ball.

No, I agree with you. It wasn't tasteful or classy that they did it.

They still were going to go full force into their last game playing for the #2 seeding, they could have gotten the record easily then. It was classless by Sean Payton. I don't think even Belichick would have done what Sean Payton did yesterday, to be honest. In 2007, there were several instances that Brady sat and they ran the ball a lot. Even if it was the last few minutes, the Pats scored by running the ball.

Good to see that we agree. Never mind the pathetic display afterwards of all the pictures being taken, Brees with his O-line, then Brees with his WRs, etc. Lame.

Brady would have broken the record next weekend. Brees will expand his lead on this record by 300+ next weekend, too.

I don't think even Belichick would have done what Sean Payton did yesterday, to be honest.

done what? was someone hurt? was a crime committed? he was 9 yards away from making history, of course he's gonna go for it. maybe he should have taken a knee so ALLLL anyone talked about for the next 7 days was the record. this way it's over and done with and the team can go back to playing football.

people act like this is youth football and players feelings are getting hurt if a team is still scoring late in the game

Not at all; a lot of us are not against running up the score. These guys get paid millions of dollars to stop the opposing offense from scoring so there is no pity or 'class' involved when teams run up the score. If they went out there and did their job, there would be no complaining about running up the score. I love seeing teams pile on the yards and TDs on an inferior team. Even when the Saints pounded the Colts.

If it came down to having to be broken. Who would rather have throw 51 td passes? Please rank them in order. Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or Aaron Rodgers. I'd rather Rodgers or Brees break Manning's qb rating record than Brady. Pats/GB or Pats/NO super bowl and I'm pulling for the NFC. That is just how rivalries go.

I do find it odd that a Patriots fan questions a td pass with an 18+ lead when Brady threw 10 touchdown passes with a lead of 17 or more in 2007 with 3 of those coming in the 4th quarter. Manning had 6 td's in 2004, with a lead of 17 or more in 2004 with only 1 coming in the 4th quarter.

If it came down to having to be broken. Who would rather have throw 51 td passes? Please rank them in order. Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or Aaron Rodgers. I'd rather Rodgers or Brees break Manning's qb rating record than Brady. Pats/GB or Pats/NO super bowl and I'm pulling for the NFC. That is just how rivalries go.

I do find it odd that a Patriots fan questions a td pass with an 18+ lead when Brady threw 10 touchdown passes with a lead of 17 or more in 2007 with 3 of those coming in the 4th quarter. Manning had 6 td's in 2004, with a lead of 17 or more in 2004 with only 1 coming in the 4th quarter.

He's not questioning it. He's drawing an analogy for some of the colts fan questioning it.

And for the last time, not that it needs an explanation..early 07 with the <cough> running up the score...Brady had new WRs to work with. Both plays (fade to Moss and a goal sideline break to Welker) were used late in the game to get live practice of those two plays in for the very first time. They were later used the following weeks when the game was in question.

I guess BB could say ah heck I won't practice it so I can stay classy. I'll just take my chances.

He's not questioning it. He's drawing an analogy for some of the colts fan questioning it.

And for the last time, not that it needs an explanation..early 07 with the <cough> running up the score...Brady had new WRs to work with. Both plays (fade to Moss and a goal sideline break to Welker) were used late in the game to get live practice of those two plays in for the very first time. They were later used the following weeks when the game was in question.

I guess BB could say ah heck I won't practice it so I can stay classy. I'll just take my chances.

Questioning it or pointing it out same difference...

I didn't need an explanation. I don't blame them for working on things, but when it happens under such circumstances, I can call a spade a spade. I wish Manning would have played for an aggressive coach like Belichick or Payton. If he were, then I feel Brady would have had more work to do to get a QB record, Brees would still be chasing 5xxx and Rodgers might not have the QB rating record all but locked up. Brees might even be chasing a Manning td record instead of Unitas. But unfortunately Manning has only played for passive coaches in his prime.

Questioning it or pointing it out same difference...

I didn't need an explanation. I don't blame them for working on things, but when it happens under such circumstances, I can call a spade a spade. I wish Manning would have played for an aggressive coach like Belichick or Payton. If he were, then I feel Brady would have had more work to do to get a QB record, Brees would still be chasing 5xxx and Rodgers might not have the QB rating record all but locked up. Brees might even be chasing a Manning td record instead of Unitas. But unfortunately Manning has only played for passive coaches in his prime.

Well "under the circumstances" is exactly the whole the point. You'd rather try the new plays when you have enough a lead a failure doesn't hurt..rather when the score is close.

Manning may have worked for a passive coach on the resting part but on the flip side he got to do what he wanted in the game...which was pass for TDs when moving the ball would have been a better call. Brady and other QBs are under a more stringent game plan. So he had his chances, It all evens out. And in the end do you really care that much about records...they're made to be broken.

Well "under the circumstances" is exactly the whole the point. You'd rather try the new plays when you have enough a lead a failure doesn't hurt..rather when the score is close.

Manning may have worked for a passive coach on the resting part but on the flip side he got to do what he wanted in the game...which was pass for TDs when moving the ball would have been a better call. Brady and other QBs are under a more stringent game plan. So he had his chances, It all evens out. And in the end do you really care that much about records...they're made to be broken.

Again, I didn't need it explained.. It is what it is, and you have to take the bad with the good.

The passivity that I speak of is more to do with in game situations as opposed to resting. The resting is a given for being passive.

In another thread i quoted 2004 vs. 2007 Manning was 4/5 on 4th down conversions. Brady was 15/21. Passive vs. Aggressive, that while Manning ignored the coaches a time or two by waving the punt team off, for the most part he was the good solider and trotted off the field. There was a game, vs the Patriots. I think it was their opening drive. Pats had the ball 4th & 1, near midfield. Belichick goes for it, gets it and I'm fairly certain they put a TD on the board. Dungy would have punted. Those were stats from 1, game but I'm sure if crunched the numbers during their careers, that Brady/Pats are far more aggressive than Manning/Colts on 4th downs..

So no I don't think that it equals out.

They are made to be broken but they are made to be set, so yeah I'd prefer him to have them as opposed to not having them. That's part of the lure and history of the game. I care about being cheated out of greatness or the chance at greatness.

Again, I didn't need it explained.. It is what it is, and you have to take the bad with the good.

The passivity that I speak of is more to do with in game situations as opposed to resting. The resting is a given for being passive.

In another thread i quoted 2004 vs. 2007 Manning was 4/5 on 4th down conversions. Brady was 15/21. Passive vs. Aggressive, that while Manning ignored the coaches a time or two by waving the punt team off, for the most part he was the good solider and trotted off the field. There was a game, vs the Patriots. I think it was their opening drive. Pats had the ball 4th & 1, near midfield. Belichick goes for it, gets it and I'm fairly certain they put a TD on the board. Dungy would have punted. Those were stats from 1, game but I'm sure if crunched the numbers during their careers, that Brady/Pats are far more aggressive than Manning/Colts on 4th downs..

So no I don't think that it equals out.

They are made to be broken but they are made to be set, so yeah I'd prefer him to have them as opposed to not having them. That's part of the lure and history of the game. I care about being cheated out of greatness or the chance at greatness.

I was more raising Manning can call his own pass plays than Brady at the time while yes the agressive BB gets a TD or more going for it on 4th...where the math is I have no idea:)

Another factor on running the score since we were discussing it, is intimidation. Thats what you find in references to running the score up in sports.

Brady gave and interview after the Skins game and he was explaining his new WRs and then said yeah we're trying to kill teams. Naturally that phrase got around quick.

But to the point. Intimidation did work that season.

I watched. Most teams were so intimidated that they went beyond their own element to match us. All except the Steelers and Eagles and if you remember those were close games.And the Giants in the SB of course. The rest were ifact intimidated by the "mighty patriots" :)

Just as Manning intimidated many opponents including BB I think. Later on that is;)

Players are usually reflective of their coaches' individual styles. Sean Payton and Bill Belichick are simply more aggressive decision-makers than Tony Dungy. (Let's not even involve Caldwell in this discussion.)

Does anyone really think Brady went up to Belichick at some point in 2007 and said, "Hey coach... can you make sure you leave me in the games, even if we're way ahead, so I can break Manning's TD record?"

Or that a similar conversation happened the other night with Brees and Payton?

'Cause I don't. I just think it's a reflection of their coaches styles and how they run games.

Players are usually reflective of their coaches' individual styles. Sean Payton and Bill Belichick are simply more aggressive decision-makers than Tony Dungy. (Let's not even involve Caldwell in this discussion.)

Does anyone really think Brady went up to Belichick at some point in 2007 and said, "Hey coach... can you make sure you leave me in the games, even if we're way ahead, so I can break Manning's TD record?"

Or that a similar conversation happened the other night with Brees and Payton?

'Cause I don't. I just think it's a reflection of their coaches styles and how they run games.

Yeah..BB would just tell him stats are for losers:)

He has told his players in the past not to worry about stats,play good football and they will just naturally come.

Yeah..BB would just tell him stats are for losers:)

He has told his players in the past not to worry about stats,play good football and they will just naturally come.

I try to use Belichickian Wisdom at home with my wife.

WIFE: "Did you forget to take out the trash again?"

ME: "I'm gonna have to work harder and try to come back next week and do a better job."

WIFE: "Did you really spend $93 at the liquor store the other day?"

ME: "That was the other day. Right now I'm focused on today."

WIFE: "Are you drunk again?"

ME: "It is what it is."

I try to use Belichickian Wisdom at home with my wife.

WIFE: "Did you forget to take out the trash again?"

ME: "I'm gonna have to work harder and try to come back next week and do a better job."

WIFE: "Did you really spend $93 at the liquor store the other day?"

ME: "That was the other day. Right now I'm focused on today."

WIFE: "Are you drunk again?"

ME: "It is what it is."

lol. good one!

Btw..uptopic you mentioned Marino an egomamiac. I don't remember seeing that. While Miami was always our undoing I liked watching Marino play, even us. He would just burn you with that quick release and move just when you thought you had a sack.