Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Player that best fits the Colts

Who is the one player you think fits best on the Colts in terms of need and style of play? For me it's OT/G La'el Collins. He could play RG year 1, then kick out to RT once we hopefully cut Cherilus after the 2015 season.

Collins is a power blocker and we run the power run formation. I think there is a chance he falls to the 20s, in which case I would love the Colts to pounce on him.

I would love him, I think we'd most likely have to trade up a bit for him (5-10 picks) but I think it would be fully worth it to make the next step to solidify the OL. We could send a 3rd this year (or next) and have a draft something like this:

1. La'el Collins

2. DE/S

4. ^Whichever not taken above.

My dream with that outline:

1. La'el Collins

2. Preston Smith

4. Kurt Drummond

I would love him, I think we'd most likely have to trade up a bit for him (5-10 picks) but I think it would be fully worth it to solidify the OL.

I think the Colts OL would be very good with the addition of Collins. We would then have LT, RT, LG, and C locked in for the future with good young players.

I would love this draft after moving up about 5-10 spots to get OT Collins...

1- OT La'el Collins

2- FS Damarious Randell

3- RB Ameer Abdullah or Duke Johnson

4- DE Henry Anderson or Marcus Hardison

How are you moving up 5-10 spots and keeping all your picks?

I would love this draft after moving up about 5-10 spots to get OT Collins...

1- OT La'el Collins

2- FS Damarious Randell

3- RB Ameer Abdullah or Duke Johnson

4- DE Henry Anderson or Marcus Hardison

I love your draft, but a few thought....

I don't think eitehr Abdullah or Duke Johnson will be around at pick 93.

And I don't think either Anderson or Hardison will be around at pick 128.   And from what I've read,  Hardison is more a 4-3 DT than a 3-4 DE.    Different skill set.

But I like the way you think.

Trading away a 2016 3rd

That's not going to get you up there.

A third rounder this year might, but a next years 3rd carries a 4th round value in the current draft. Or something like that I think. And if history serves correct, going off last years draft you would need this years 3rd to move up to like 22

So

OL-Collins, TJ Clemmons or Cameron Erving. I prefer Lael or Erving. Lael due to power blocking and Erving due to interchangability.

If we don't get one of those, then BPA, Kendricks or best CB available. No safety is worth a first round pick, imho.

Second depends on first.

If we don't get any OL, then go with Laken Tomlinson.

If we do get an OL, then go with Randall, who we would have to probably trade up to get or stay put and I would be

happy with Quentin Rollins-Huge upside, or Paul Dawson.

Third round, Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Daryll OT, Henry Anderson DT, or Gabe Wright DT

La'el Collins and Eric Kendricks are the best fits for us, IMO. Collins is the perfect RT/RG that can make our O-Line very formidable and Eric Kendricks is an excellent run stopping ILB that is also good in coverage. Both fit what we need. If we were going with someone outside the first round, I'd say Donovan Smith the OT. He is the best Anchor in the draft and can more than hold his own. If we got Kendricks in the 1st and Donovan Smith in the 3rd as two of our picks, we'd be in great shape.

Jalen Collins, CB, LSU.  While I'd prefer Kevin Johnson of Wake Forest because his man coverage skills are another level above, Collins' size and physicality are more suited to the press coverage (which we like to play).

I kind of have the opposite impression about La'el Collins as many of you, though he kind of confuses me as a prospect.  Everyone calls him a power-blocker, but he's less than 310 lbs and only put up 21 bp reps.  And, while Pep talked about power running two years ago, we seem to be closer to zone blocking scheme (though we're not that either).  He's probably a good enough athlete and mean enough of a run blocker to be scheme versatile, I don't know where he'd fit best in the pros...

I would love him, I think we'd most likely have to trade up a bit for him (5-10 picks) but I think it would be fully worth it to make the next step to solidify the OL. We could send a 3rd this year (or next) and have a draft something like this:

1. La'el Collins

2. DE/S

4. ^Whichever not taken above.

My dream with that outline:

1. La'el Collins

2. Preston Smith

4. Kurt Drummond

I like Drummond hope we get him!

Jalen Collins, CB, LSU.  While I'd prefer Kevin Johnson of Wake Forest because his man coverage skills are another level above, Collins' size and physicality are more suited to the press coverage (which we like to play).

I kind of have the opposite impression about La'el Collins as many of you, though he kind of confuses me as a prospect.  Everyone calls him a power-blocker, but he's less than 310 lbs and only put up 21 bp reps.  And, while Pep talked about power running two years ago, we seem to be closer to zone blocking scheme (though we're not that either).  He's probably a good enough athlete and mean enough of a run blocker to be scheme versatile, I don't know where he'd fit best in the pros...

https://vine.co/v/hpm6dQH1mw6

Gotcha, I agree kinda, I don't see on the tape I've seen why he's projected so high.

He's big, strong and athletic. One of the best measurable profiles ever. And he's squeaky clean (as far as I know). 

My problem is that he doesn't fly around the field, he doesn't play with reckless abandon, doesn't bring any pain to the play... I like my linebackers to run around like they're late for a train, and that's not Dupree. It's been said that the gameplans called on him to be more conservative at the line, maybe to counter delays and read option, but even in pursuit or when engaged, he doesn't have that feisty disposition that I'd like to see from a playmaking OLB/DE. There are certain players that are always around the ball, always getting involved, most of them less talented than Dupree. If he played like that, I'd be all about him.

I feel the same way about Arik Armstead. No urgency to his game, either.

That said, there are times when Dupree flashes his true ability and makes incredible plays. And he has a versatility that most OLBs in this draft don't. I think he's probably a top 20 pick, and I'm fine with that. But his skill-set would be a really good fit in our defense.

He's big, strong and athletic. One of the best measurable profiles ever. And he's squeaky clean (as far as I know). 

My problem is that he doesn't fly around the field, he doesn't play with reckless abandon, doesn't bring any pain to the play... I like my linebackers to run around like they're late for a train, and that's not Dupree. It's been said that the gameplans called on him to be more conservative at the line, maybe to counter delays and read option, but even in pursuit or when engaged, he doesn't have that feisty disposition that I'd like to see from a playmaking OLB/DE. There are certain players that are always around the ball, always getting involved, most of them less talented than Dupree. If he played like that, I'd be all about him.

I feel the same way about Arik Armstead. No urgency to his game, either.

That said, there are times when Dupree flashes his true ability and makes incredible plays. And he has a versatility that most OLBs in this draft don't. I think he's probably a top 20 pick, and I'm fine with that. But his skill-set would be a really good fit in our defense.

I feel Armstead would be so much better if he was limited by Oregon's scheme. 

I feel Armstead would be so much better if he was limited by Oregon's scheme. 

How so?

I was watching Game Changers on NFL Network the other day, and they were running bag drills. Armstead, Shelton, Williams and Gregory. Armstead had a very lackadaisical way about him, in comparison with the others, not really finishing his reps, etc. It's probably just my already established opinion of him, but his temperament doesn't impress me.

How so?

I was watching Game Changers on NFL Network the other day, and they were running bag drills. Armstead, Shelton, Williams and Gregory. Armstead had a very lackadaisical way about him, in comparison with the others, not really finishing his reps, etc. It's probably just my already established opinion of him, but his temperament doesn't impress me.

Oregon often just rushed three players. Armstead was the most disruptive player on the dline and received the most attention. Didn't play in an attacking defense. 

He's got some problems, but he didn't really play in a defense that put him in positon to do anything noteworthy. Sort of like how Bud Dupree was so mis-used by Kentucky.