Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Positional needs that should be addressed in the draft.

I was thinking about doing a mock draft, but there are countless mock drafts on this board, and nothing could make mine any better or any more interesting...so we'll skip the individual player analysis on the rookies and look at which positions we could address in each round. If you feel differently, or think that one need should take priority over another, then this thread is for you. I'll start:

ROUND 1, PICK 29

The commentary on the Colts right now seems to be centered on Pagano and Grigson's job security going into the final year of their contracts. Irsay's comments regarding the "mandate to stop the run", and Pagano's comments suggesting that "if we don't fix the run defense, someone else will" lead me to believe that stopping the run will be number one priority heading into the draft.

BEST OPTIONS: DT/NT or SS

You could say that SS is the biggest need on the team, with Dwight Lowery, Winston Guy and Dewey McDonald currently slated to compete for the starting job. A first round pick at safety would be the instant favorite to beat out that crew of JAGs. But the safety class this year is really underwhelming, and I expect a down lineman will be the first thing Grigson looks at. NT would represent the most immediate impact position, where we currently have a few 5th round picks battling for the position. If there is a run on D-Lineman before the Colts' pick at 29, they could look at other options.

Other Options for #29: OL (C or RT) CB, ILB or Edge Rusher

If a high-profile OL prospect falls to us at #29, I would not hesitate to make the selection and address the defense in the later rounds. A balanced offense that can run the ball efficiently and control time of possession will help the defense more then a rookie DT would. CB is also a need, but the group we have now is good enough for this year. ILB and Edge Rusher aren't worth 1st round consideration, in my opinion, because we have deep position groups at these spots, just no outstanding bona-fide superstars (unless Robert Mathis returns to his 2013 form.)

ROUND 2, PICK 61 and ROUND 3, PICK 93

Lets assume we go with a big bodied defensive lineman in the first round. We come back the second day, and the Colts are on the clock. Which direction do we go?

BEST OPTIONS: SS and RB

We still need a young guy to compete with our current options at safety, but again, the safety class isn't great...we might not be able to find good value in this draft. The second tier of running backs in this class (Tevin Coleman, Ameer Abdullah, Jay Ajayi, Duke Johnson, TJ Yelding, David Johnson, Mike Davis) are all being projected as 2nd-3rd round grades, and each would great addition to our running-back group. No one really knows where Gordon and Gurley will end up, could be top 15 picks or drop out of the 1st round entirely based on the current RB value. While I don't think we should spend a 1st on a RB, using a 2nd or 3rd would be a great investment.

If Frank Gore goes down with an injury we are back to having Boom Herron, Zurlon Tipton and no one else. Ahmad Bradshaw is a free agent. Vick Ballard is still recovering from an Achilles tear. We need more depth in our backfield to keep the chains moving and keep our defense off the field. Time of possession will win us a Superbowl, not the downfield passing offense we've been trying (and failing with) for the past decade.

ROUND 4, PICK 128 and ROUND 5, PICK 165

So we got our NT in round one. Came back and got impact rookies at RB and S in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. We're cleaning up, we're feeling good about our chances at Superbowl 50. What do we go next?

BEST OPTIONS: CB and ILB

OTHER OPTIONS: OLB, DE, DT or S

We need to add young depth to our defense. Simple as that. I think this would be a good spot to grab a few corner prospects, let them get some experience as the 4th and 5th corners and compete with Greg Toler, Darius Butler and the back-end of our CB rotation. Toler will likely leave as a FA next year, but I don't expect Grigson and Pagano to be looking into "next year" too much...they may not be here "next year" and they will want to secure their long term extensions.

TWO 6TH ROUND PICKS (We have an extra 6th from SEA for CB Marcus Burley)

We got a stud DL, a RB of the future and we retooled our secondary with three total draft picks. But we didn't address the offensive line! Andrew will get killed and our backs will be able to get no seperation, what are we to do? Here's where I throw out a curveball.

Indianapolis trades two 6th round picks to Philadelphia for OG Evan Mathis.

The Bad: Evan Mathis is 33. He missed some time last year. He wants a new contract.

The Good: He is a pro bowler. He is an all pro. He spent time with Grigson and Todd Herremans in Philadelphia. We could instantly slot him in as the starter at LG, moving 2nd year OL Jack Mewhort to right tackle to compete with OL Joe Reitz. This move would allow us to move on from G Donald Thomas and RT Gosder Cherilus, and immediately improve our starting O-Line without having to spend premiere draft picks, and the salary difference would be a wash with those two cuts.

Why would Philadelphia do this? They have been trying to trade Mathis for weeks, and reports are saying now that they will cut him if a trade cannot be reached. He wants a new contract, and the Eagles won't give it to him. If the Colts can fit him into their cap structure, this would be a huge move on the last day of the draft.

TWO 7TH ROUND PICKS (One Comp. Pick)

Again, I expect this draft will have a strong emphasis on the defensive side of the ball. Our offense is a "finished product", and now it's time for our defense to catch up. More depth along the D-Line, or maybe some under-sized edge rusher prospect would make sense here. Another option would be to draft a 3rd string QB, let him stew a year under Luck and Hasselbeck, and see if he has the goods to take over as the primary backup if Hasselbeck retires at the end of this year.

Summary:

Rd1: DT

Rd2: RB

Rd3: SS

Rd4: CB

Rd5: CB

Rd6: Trade both picks to Philadelphia for Evan Mathis

Rd7: DE, QB

What do you guys think?

I like the logic, but

1) I believe you can't trade compensary picks

2) I would get another safety vs CB in round 5......we are going to be needing 2 in the long run

3) somehow pass rush depth needs to be developed OLB

The 6th for Burley was a trade not a comp.

I was thinking about doing a mock draft, but there are countless mock drafts on this board, and nothing could make mine any better or any more interesting...so we'll skip the individual player analysis on the rookies and look at which positions we could address in each round. If you feel differently, or think that one need should take priority over another, then this thread is for you. I'll start:

ROUND 1, PICK 29

The commentary on the Colts right now seems to be centered on Pagano and Grigson's job security going into the final year of their contracts. Irsay's comments regarding the "mandate to stop the run", and Pagano's comments suggesting that "if we don't fix the run defense, someone else will" lead me to believe that stopping the run will be number one priority heading into the draft.

You could say that SS is the biggest need on the team, with Dwight Lowery, Winston Guy and Dewey McDonald currently slated to compete for the starting job. A first round pick at safety would be the instant favorite to beat out that crew of JAGs. But the safety class this year is really underwhelming, and I expect a down lineman will be the first thing Grigson looks at. NT would represent the most immediate impact position, where we currently have a few 5th round picks battling for the position. If there is a run on D-Lineman before the Colts' pick at 29, they could look at other options.

If a high-profile OL prospect falls to us at #29, I would not hesitate to make the selection and address the defense in the later rounds. A balanced offense that can run the ball efficiently and control time of possession will help the defense more then a rookie DT would. CB is also a need, but the group we have now is good enough for this year. ILB and Edge Rusher aren't worth 1st round consideration, in my opinion, because we have deep position groups at these spots, just no outstanding bona-fide superstars (unless Robert Mathis returns to his 2013 form.)

Lets assume we go with a big bodied defensive lineman in the first round. We come back the second day, and the Colts are on the clock. Which direction do we go?

We still need a young guy to compete with our current options at safety, but again, the safety class isn't great...we might not be able to find good value in this draft. The second tier of running backs in this class (Tevin Coleman, Ameer Abdullah, Jay Ajayi, Duke Johnson, TJ Yelding, David Johnson, Mike Davis) are all being projected as 2nd-3rd round grades, and each would great addition to our running-back group. No one really knows where Gordon and Gurley will end up, could be top 15 picks or drop out of the 1st round entirely based on the current RB value. While I don't think we should spend a 1st on a RB, using a 2nd or 3rd would be a great investment.

If Frank Gore goes down with an injury we are back to having Boom Herron, Zurlon Tipton and no one else. Ahmad Bradshaw is a free agent. Vick Ballard is still recovering from an Achilles tear. We need more depth in our backfield to keep the chains moving and keep our defense off the field. Time of possession will win us a Superbowl, not the downfield passing offense we've been trying (and failing with) for the past decade.

So we got our NT in round one. Came back and got impact rookies at RB and S in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. We're cleaning up, we're feeling good about our chances at Superbowl 50. What do we go next?

We need to add young depth to our defense. Simple as that. I think this would be a good spot to grab a few corner prospects, let them get some experience as the 4th and 5th corners and compete with Greg Toler, Darius Butler and the back-end of our CB rotation. Toler will likely leave as a FA next year, but I don't expect Grigson and Pagano to be looking into "next year" too much...they may not be here "next year" and they will want to secure their long term extensions.

We got a stud DL, a RB of the future and we retooled our secondary with three total draft picks. But we didn't address the offensive line! Andrew will get killed and our backs will be able to get no seperation, what are we to do? Here's where I throw out a curveball.

The Bad: Evan Mathis is 33. He missed some time last year. He wants a new contract.

The Good: He is a pro bowler. He is an all pro. He spent time with Grigson and Todd Herremans in Philadelphia. We could instantly slot him in as the starter at LG, moving 2nd year OL Jack Mewhort to right tackle to compete with OL Joe Reitz. This move would allow us to move on from G Donald Thomas and RT Gosder Cherilus, and immediately improve our starting O-Line without having to spend premiere draft picks, and the salary difference would be a wash with those two cuts.

Why would Philadelphia do this? They have been trying to trade Mathis for weeks, and reports are saying now that they will cut him if a trade cannot be reached. He wants a new contract, and the Eagles won't give it to him. If the Colts can fit him into their cap structure, this would be a huge move on the last day of the draft.

Again, I expect this draft will have a strong emphasis on the defensive side of the ball. Our offense is a "finished product", and now it's time for our defense to catch up. More depth along the D-Line, or maybe some under-sized edge rusher prospect would make sense here. Another option would be to draft a 3rd string QB, let him stew a year under Luck and Hasselbeck, and see if he has the goods to take over as the primary backup if Hasselbeck retires at the end of this year.

Summary:

What do you guys think?

I think this is one of the most thoughtful and well layed-out plans for the draft I've seen here in years....

Very nicely done.    

Do I agree with everything?     No.   But that's not a big deal.   I think one of those corners (the 5th rounder) will be a WR.   I think we'd like to get a WR out of this exceptional class.

I'm not sure we'll do the Mathis trade,  but it certainly is an interesting idea worth serious consideration.

Great job!     :thmup:

Thanks for the feedback. Obviously who we pick depends on the 28 players chosen before we turn in our card. Its impossible to predict which prospects will be there at each round. This topic was basically a mock scenario where we attempt to hit all our needs. We cant draft every player, we cant draft every position. Also, I traded the pick we got for Burley, and used the comp pick to select a QB. Not sure where the confusion is there.

ROUND 1, PICK 29

Summary:

What do you guys think?

You've identified areas we can improve or deepen very well....although I'd prefer we add RT to the draft day mix.

Anyway, by now Grigson and the Colts brain trust should be finalizing their board and grading the prospects.

With the obvious exception of QB and perhaps TE....positions where our depth chart is solid.....I'm fine with whatever position they target as long as the actual player at that position represents perhaps a +/- 5-10 pick value in the 1st three rounds of the draft.

Beyond Round 3, if Grigson and the boys like a certain prospect enough within maybe 10-20 picks of where they actually value him....and they don't believe he'll come around on our next pick, and can't workout a trade down....then I'm okay with that 10-20 pick variance.

Any further off than those value ranges in those rounds.....according to their board....should IMO, prompt them to the next player at that pick's value.

It's the old "trust your board" mantra we hear about.....and although I don't know what their parameters are for ranked players....I'm assuming they draw the line somewhere.

These guys spend a large chunk of time and resources scouting these kids and building their board...so one would hope that by the time Draft Day rolls around the shot-calling takes care of itself.

And if two or more closely rated prospects land on our pick? Then I would guess our depth chart does the talking.

I agree. Alot of factors play into the draft, especially when you are picking late in the draft. I am not saying we have to go DT in the first round, but I think Grigson and Pagano hope there is one available that is worth the grade. BPA regardless of position only goes as far as your job security...and they will need to look for instant impact players that will ensure their contract extensions, not draft Amari Cooper to be our 4Th receiver just because he somehow fell to us.

Lots of thought went into that.  I'm sure Grigson and the Colts coaching and scouting staff have totally graded every prospect based upon talent, personality, scheme fit, injury history, etc... and have them lined up on the board.  All that grade first round prospects (no matter position) in group A.  Cross them off as other teams select thosee on the list.  When it is Grigson turn, stay true to the scouting and hard work you put in and take the top guy not crossed off that list.  Whether it is a DT / SS / OLB / ILB /Edge/ OT / or a skill player.  Same for the rest of the board all the way down.

If there is not a player left your board appropriate for that round/grade, consider trading that spot away.

I know it is a temptation to draft to need, but I am one who still feels the best method is to draft the best players available into your organization.  The  most radical instance I can recall of a GM doing this was in 2005.  Ted Thompson pick came up at #24.  There on the top of his board was the name- Aaron Rodgers.  They have Brett Favre for at least 3 more years!  What does Ted do... gets a very snippity (at this point) Aaron on the phone and asks for his agent.  Tells agent to hold...  Thompson waits out the 15 minutes to see if any other team will trade with GB to get Rodgers.  No call comes in so Thompson says to agent to tell Aaron he is to become a Green Bay Packer.  The rest is history...

I agree. Alot of factors play into the draft, especially when you are picking late in the draft. I am not saying we have to go DT in the first round, but I think Grigson and Pagano hope there is one available that is worth the grade. BPA regardless of position only goes as far as your job security...and they will need to look for instant impact players that will ensure their contract extensions, not draft Amari Cooper to be our 4Th receiver just because he somehow fell to us.

That would be a prime trade-down scenario.

If Cooper fell to 29 and Grigson passed I would hope he was fired the next day.

I don't want this topic to devolve into a bpa vs need debate. I listed seven positions we could target with our first round pick. A nose tackle would be ideal, a CB would be okay. It was just an example, but we are not drafting a QB in the first. We are not drafting a special teamer or kicking specialist. It is not likely we draft a RB, WR, or TE with pick 29. If Grigson had job security, then yeah, maybe he could afford a luxury pick there...

If there is no offensive lineman, defensive lineman, linebacker or defensive back worthy of the 29 pick then I guess we trade back. But probably 60% of all the draftable prospects play one of those positions, so there should be SOMEBODY there we like...its not like were going to draft Marcus Mariota even if he drops to 29 and hes the best rated player on the board...theres just no need for him.

The Amari Cooper falling to 29 bit was sarcasm. Theres no way he falls that far, so its not even really worth discussing. A better example would be guys like Jaelen Strong, Dorial Green Beckham or maybe DeVante Parker could realistically fall to us. Would any of these guys force TY Hilton, Andre Johnson, Donte Moncrief, Coby Fleener, or Dwayne Allen off the field? If not, then its a wasted pick. We need to commit to the run, and we still have Jack Doyle, Duron Carter, Vincent Brown and Griff Whalen as our reserve pass catchers...its not like the cupboard is bare.

The Amari Cooper falling to 29 bit was sarcasm. Theres no way he falls that far, so its not even really worth discussing. A better example would be guys like Jaelen Strong, Dorial Green Beckham or maybe DeVante Parker could realistically fall to us. Would any of these guys force TY Hilton, Andre Johnson, Donte Moncrief, Coby Fleener, or Dwayne Allen off the field? If not, then its a wasted pick. We need to commit to the run, and we still have Jack Doyle, Duron Carter, Vincent Brown and Griff Whalen as our reserve pass catchers...its not like the cupboard is bare.

You're looking at it in a 1 year window. Draft picks play beyond year one. What happens if Andre Johnson falls off of a cliff and Donte Moncrief doesn't progress at all? Who do we have in 2016 other than TY (who is a FA)?

I would think if a miracle happened and somehow Amari Cooper fell to 29,  I would think he'd be our #3 WR and not our #4.   I would think he'd leapfrog over Donte Moncrief, and that's no knock on him.

But Cooper is extremely polished...   the most polished WR in this class and one of the most polished in the last three classes....

He'd immediately be our #3,  and if Andre slipped a bit during the year,  could be our #2....    He's that good.

You have to focus on the dire weakness of this team. Its on Defense and its up the middle.

NT; ILB ; Safety.

I completely agree that a RB should be taken this draft, but in the 4th or 5th round, and no sooner.

This team has to be able to stop the run or the New England example will be copied by every other team the Colts play.

This is a copy cat league, and the Colts still do not have the personnel to stop the run effectively when teams load up against them.

Fix the serious problems up the middle with the D, and this team can reach for the clouds. Fail to do that in this draft, and this will be another painful season for all Colts fans. Because at the moment, the same players who were run over last year are still filling those big time positions of need.

For the record, the first four picks should be the BPA at one of five positions: DT; DE; S; CB; ILB. Then they can go for the RB etc.

Yes, I am looking at it from a one year perspective. I expect Pagano and Grigson to do the same. Whats the sense in drafting a guy for two or three years down the road if our GM and HC wont be here long enough to see that player prosper.

Lets be honest, Grig and Pagano wont be fired if TY gets hurt or Andre falls off a cliff. What WILL get them fired is if they cant run the ball or stop the run effectively. Pagano said it himself.

And when it comes down to it, right or wrong, job security is going to be more of a "primary goal" for these guys then acquiring developmental prospects and building towards a more long term solution

Hate to double post, but back to the Cooper at 29 scenario. It wont happen, but if it does, then you have to consider that 28 teams passed on him. That means no one pushed to trade up for him and his elite arhleticism. That would mean theres a flaw there that teams are shying away from. If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is.

Would you still going to fire Grigson for passing on Amari if, say, we use #29 on a Danny Shelton or Leonard Williams who also unexpectedly fell to 29?

Yes, I am looking at it from a one year perspective. I expect Pagano and Grigson to do the same. Whats the sense in drafting a guy for two or three years down the road if our GM and HC wont be here long enough to see that player prosper.

Lets be honest, Grig and Pagano wont be fired if TY gets hurt or Andre falls off a cliff. What WILL get them fired is if they cant run the ball or stop the run effectively. Pagano said it himself.

And when it comes down to it, right or wrong, job security is going to be more of a "primary goal" for these guys then acquiring developmental prospects and building towards a more long term solution

I agree with the "run the ball, stop the run" part. We've all lamented this ever since our SB win in '07.

But yes, this draft is where the rubber meets the road for Grigson and the scouts in stacking their draft board...and how well they've identified prospective talent within our schemes.

Assuming they've gotten THAT part right...and as long as they don't recklessly overvalue and select players according to need...then our roster should improve.

I'm betting our rushing attack becomes much more effective next season based on our free agency moves, our existing O-line development...namely Holmes and Mewhort....and what I anticipate this draft could net us at RB and RT BEYOND the first two rounds.

As far as stopping the run?

Hopefully, we harvest a starter at #29 and 1-2 more players later that upgrade depth at NT-DL/ILB/S. IMO....Goldman, Phillips and Landon Collins are fairly realistic targets at #29 who can have early impact at those positions.

But IMO, whoever is stacked on that board when we select....unless a "need" player exists within an acceptable variance....is the guy who we should draft.

I think seven different positions would classify as acceptable variance. If I were the GM I would go into the first night of the draft with a card with about ten names on it that could realistically be yaken at 29.

Shelton

Eddie Goldman

Jordan Phillips

Carl Davis

Landon Collins

Kevin Johnson

Marcus Peters

Denzel Perryman

Cameron Erving

LaEl Collins

This is just an example. Add a few guys, subtract a few and/or reorder them based on the scouts grade. Then reference the big board before you finalize the pick. All of these guys would be "worth" a first round grade...who we get depends on whos available.

I think seven different positions would classify as acceptable variance. If I were the GM I would go into the first night of the draft with a card with about ten names on it that could realistically be yaken at 29.

{names snipped}

This is just an example. Add a few guys, subtract a few and/or reorder them based on the scouts grade. Then reference the big board before you finalize the pick. All of these guys would be "worth" a first round grade...who we get depends on whos available.

I think I understand what you are getting at, but by the same token, things might not work out the way it was anticipated.  The draft never does, it seems.

I admit I am curious though. With just 10 or so names, and 28 teams picking before you, what are the possibilities that all 10 (or so) names have been taken off the board before your pick comes up? If so, what is plan B from there? Hopefully the list of players worthy of 1st round selection grading is larger than just 10 or so players.  Assuming this is so, is it that the list of 10 or so names that are placed higher than the other 1st round grade talent based not upon overall grade, but best overall grade at the positions of perceived need?  And then the others come after that list as fall back selections?

Grigson has to be prepared to make a selection in every round, and at a very late slot at that.  There are a lot of names that will come off the board each round before his pick.  To me, I hope Grigson's list is a comprehensive one that indeed includes those not only those 10 or so names you reference, but also other players that are truly 1st round grade caliber.  So is it possible those 10 or so names tops his list too?  Yes, but I still  hope the listed players are in order of calculated total grade level, not sub-grouped based on 7 positions.  Then let the chips fall where they may and call in the name highest on the list that hasn't been crossed off. 

I would expect the scouts to have a short list of guys expected to be there and a big board with all available rookies. A guy like Leonard Williams or Dante Fowler wont drop to us, but if they do...obviously we would consider them.

And hopefully, they are proactive on other prospects who don't fit our schemes that begin to drop substantially and who could draw trade down offers.

I'm sure they think of these things....but I'd pay $500 for the chance to sit in the war room just one time. :)

And hopefully, they are proactive on other prospects who don't fit our schemes that begin to drop substantially and who could draw trade down offers.

I'm sure they think of these things....but I'd pay $500 for the chance to sit in the war room just one time. :)

I would too.  Peter King has.  Here's some photos he posted.  Packers and Falcons war room, from different years, and a few back-

war%20room1_zpsfmzjzjcl.png

war%20room2_zpsjs4tknc4.png

Probably the closest I'll ever get. Sigh...