Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL investigating free agency violations [Merge]

12isthenew18

I agree this is ridiculous. We still have over a day until it offically starts and most top names are unofficially signed. I haven't seen this personally of critically following free agency for years

LOL. "@Rand_Getlin: NFL sent a letter to all 32 teams stating displeasure w/ release of contract terms prior to start of free agency."

— Josh Wilson (@JoshWilsonSB)

March 9, 2015

I agree this is ridiculous. We still have over a day until it offically starts and most top names are unofficially signed. I haven't seen this personally of critically following free agency for years

LOL. "@Rand_Getlin: NFL sent a letter to all 32 teams stating displeasure w/ release of contract terms prior to start of free agency."

— Josh Wilson (@JoshWilsonSB)

March 9, 2015

The owners are real stupid for letting that happen. All it does is cause them to pay bigger contracts because of the media talk drives up the prices of the contracts. All the owners are whining about high dollars contracts when they have no one to blame but themselves. They are the ones who try to out do each other just for their own gratifications.

Good on 'ya for the teams that may have mutually agreed upon deal(s) in place, but are holding mum until 4:00 pm Tuesday.  I hope Grigson has a couple announcements that early evening... and we don't get in trouble for Herreman's...

But face it, the huge names are what people want to know about.  Once a decision is made, and price set, it's hard to keep it secret for a few days with everyone hounding the player(s) and team(s).

The owners are real stupid for letting that happen. All it does is cause them to pay bigger contracts because of the media talk drives up the prices of the contracts. All the owners are whining about high dollars contracts when they have no one to blame but themselves. They are the ones who try to out do each other just for their own gratifications.

this is the exact reason

I was wondering why all the info was coming out when the signings can't officially happen until the 10th, or whatever the big day is. I will be interested to see if any of those change... or players go other places than where they are rumored.

I was wondering why all the info was coming out when the signings can't officially happen until the 10th, or whatever the big day is. I will be interested to see if any of those change... or players go other than where they are rumored.

I did hear something about the Colts making one last push for Suh but not sure if that includes post-news about him picking Miami.

I did hear something about the Colts making one last push for Suh but not sure if that includes post-news about him picking Miami.

The nice weather in Miami, and the rumored numbers would be hard to pass up... but the Colts are in a better position to win than the Dolphins. 

I was wondering why all the info was coming out when the signings can't officially happen until the 10th, or whatever the big day is. I will be interested to see if any of those change... or players go other than where they are rumored.

That's why I don't put much thought into much the media has to report till it's a done deal. Too many media jerks just putting out stories with no truth and using rumor as their sources. Nine times out of ten it is a media hound who starts the rumors in the first place. There are very few media hounds that have any class at all. All they want is to be the first to break a story even if it isn't true. We see stories dropped like a hot potato all the time.

Well at least the Colts won't be in trouble. There have been no reports of them agreeing to terms with anyone. I was wondering how this all was happening when the rule clearly states that contract talks can not be discussed.

it's pissing me off hearing the eagles and such announce this. It's fine for teams to discuss privately

Good on 'ya for the teams that may have mutually agreed upon deal(s) in place, but are holding mum until 4:00 pm Tuesday. I hope Grigson has a couple announcements that early evening... and we don't get in trouble fforor Herreman's...

But face it, the huge names are what people want to know about. Once a decision is made, and price set, it's hard to keep it secret for a few days with everyone hounding the player(s) and team(s).

why would he get In troubleI for Herrmann?

why would he get In troubleI for Herrmann?

We need sarcasm emote... I went back  and added it because of all the tweets about league going to deal with reports from the "legal tampering" sessions. No one can tell what is OK now from sorta OK now, but really wait until Tuesday type thing... 

I think league should not allow early contact with agents (of free agents) if they are going to penalize teams for leaks of deals being made. Or just drop the letters about early disclosure. What do they expect GM's and agents to discuss in that time frame, weather, the family, good restaurants and local school districts?   The dysfunctional nature of the NFL has been truly exposed this year...

You give them a legal tampering window, then get upset when they make deals?  Don't be naive, NFL

^^^ This! ^^^

If talks between agents and GM's net a deal, it is darn near impossible to conceal it until a later date with media hounding everyone for the early scoop..

^^^ This! ^^^

If talks between agents and GM's net a deal, it is darn near impossible to conceal it until a later date with media hounding everyone for the early scoop..

This is the third year of the legal tampering period, but the first time that I can remember deals being confirmed, including financial terms, prior to the start of the league year.

I'm sure this kind of stuff has always happened, with a ::winkwinkhushhush:: kind of attitude about it. It would be pretty difficult to prevent. But this year, there's been a blatant disregard for the rules. Not only are people making deals, but there's been little to no effort to even pretend to be in compliance. 

I think the NFL does this backward. The moratorium should come after the new league year starts, not before. And it should include all player transactions, including trades, re-signings by current teams, etc. Let teams talk to players and agents openly, but no terms can be agreed to until the moratorium is over. 

NFL to teams: Stop making deals and announcing them before free agency starts. We already told you. We're serious.

Teams: ...  Yeah, okay.

Later that day:

McPhee to Bears: http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/12448378/pernell-mcphee-chicago-bears-agree-five-year-deal

Hudson to Raiders: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12448247/rodney-hudson-oakland-raiders-agree-5-year-deal-worth-445m

Odrick to Jags: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12449382/jared-odrick-agrees-jacksonville-jaguars

NFL to teams: Stop making deals and announcing them before free agency starts. We already told you. We're serious.

Teams: ...  Yeah, okay.

Later that day:

McPhee to Bears: http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/12448378/pernell-mcphee-chicago-bears-agree-five-year-deal

Hudson to Raiders: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12448247/rodney-hudson-oakland-raiders-agree-5-year-deal-worth-445m

Odrick to Jags: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12449382/jared-odrick-agrees-jacksonville-jaguars

:spit:   lmao 

We need sarcasm emote... I went back and added it because of all the tweets about league going to deal with reports from the "legal tampering" sessions. No one can tell what is OK now from sorta OK now, but really wait until Tuesday type thing...

I think league should not allow early contact with agents (of free agents) if they are going to penalize teams for leaks of deals being made. Or just drop the letters about early disclosure. What do they expect GM's and agents to discuss in that time frame, weather, the family, good restaurants and local school districts? The dysfunctional nature of the NFL has been truly exposed this year...

It's all about who is in control and Goodell is an egotistical control freak in the head seat so he has to keep his thumb on the control button. Quite honestly, I could care less if they talk about a contract or not after a date. What they should do is tell teams, make a deal with your own player by this date or expose them to everyone on this date and allow them to sign on that given date. Don't have this crap about you can talk to them on this date but wait, you can't sign them until a week later. It's mind games.

It's all about who is in control and Goodell is an egotistical control freak in the head seat so he has to keep his thumb on the control button. Quite honestly, I could care less if they talk about a contract or not after a date. What they should do is tell teams, make a deal with your own player by this date or expose them to everyone on this date and allow them to sign on that given date. Don't have this crap about you can talk to them on this date but wait, you can't sign them until a week later. It's mind games.

That's the way it used to be. There was still tampering. 

This is the league's "fix." It's just a bad one.

That's the way it used to be. There was still tampering. 

This is the league's "fix." It's just a bad one.

threaten the teams who tamper, or get caught, they will lose their entire draft choices.

I'm so glad the league is on top of this...as NFL.com and NFL Network prematurely report all these deals.

Hypocritical *

Not really hypocritical, it's league news. To ignore it based on the fact that it breaks the rules would be one sided. The league offices can reprimand teams who break the rules while the news outlet discusses things teams announce. The only hypocrisy is all the news outlets failing to mention the agreed upon unsigned contracts are league violations and just rolling with them as fact. Essentially, they are just the equivalent of high school players committing to a particular school, they can change their mind at any time right now, as we are seeing with Gore.

Not really hypocritical, it's league news. To ignore it based on the fact that it breaks the rules would be one sided. The league offices can reprimand teams who break the rules while the news outlet discusses things teams announce. The only hypocrisy is all the news outlets failing to mention the agreed upon unsigned contracts are league violations and just rolling with them as fact. Essentially, they are just the equivalent of high school players committing to a particular school, they can change their mind at any time right now, as we are seeing with Gore.

So it's okay for league-owned entities, NFL.com and NFL Network to trot out their "NFL Insider"....Ian Rapoport and others....to pass along first-hand leaks linking specific free agents to specific teams for set years & dollar amounts....and then the league office in turn issues a fatwa against teams leaking the very info they've broadcasted for profit....and there's no hypocrisy in that?  :scratch:

Hey....I enjoy the intrigue of this free agency stuff as much as anyone, keep it rollin'!!

I just think the NFL is talking out of both sides of its mouth.

Again.