Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade with Vikings for Peterson?

I was thinking and I was wondering if this trade would be feasible..

Colts have stated they want pass rushers, can't never have enough.. okay this means they arn't solid with who they have and will most likely go after a few in the draft, FA

well how about trade Werner to the vikings for the rights to AP?

Look maybe it would also take another player(Cherilus) or a third round pick as well, but Werner to me isn't suited for a 3-4 end/backer

He would however excel I believe in a 4-3 scheme(Vikings) as he played in college. The Vikings could use Werner and we could use AP and possibly rework his current deal.

Maybe we throw in Cherilus and Werner. Right now the Vikings have LoadHolt I believe at RT. We could move Mewhort to RT if Cherilus is gone. Kahlil might walk

Maybe throw 'em Trent , too. They might bite to give him a look seeing as his contract is still really low/manageable.. idk

Just Brainstorming

They wouldn't even give us Asiata for Werner

Why would you believe that? Werner is young affordable and and extremely coach-able. I don't think he's a horrible player, I just think he's not the right guy for a 3-4 defense. I think he could fit in with Vikings defense pretty well. Besides if AP truly wants out of minnesota, then the Vikings would be best suited to avoid the headaches he would cause from not wanting to be there

The only players the Colts have that have any meaningful trade value are Luck, Davis, and Hilton. And they're not going anywhere.

Look when I posted this I wasn't looking at this from an everyday type of regular scenario. All I'm saying is that chances are the Vikings are already running options based on not having AP with the team. Chances are they won't. If AP really doesn't want to play there anymore than my thinking is that if the Colts offered up Werner and Trent or whatever, then the Vikings may be inclined to take a look. I mean what are the Vikings losing here? The back who didn't want to play there anymore anyway? Okay and they gain a player in Werner who is young and affordable and if it doesn't work out who cares, they we're losing AP anyway. Chances are it might work for the Vikings though. It's not about the value as I mentioned it also might take is throwing in a draft pick IDK.. it's about throwing it out there and seeing if it would stick

Why would you believe that? Werner is young affordable and and extremely coach-able. I don't think he's a horrible player, I just think he's not the right guy for a 3-4 defense. I think he could fit in with Vikings defense pretty well. Besides if AP truly wants out of minnesota, then the Vikings would be best suited to avoid the headaches he would cause from not wanting to be there

A lot of player fit that description. And most of them are way more talented than Werner.

Look when I posted this I wasn't looking at this from an everyday type of regular scenario. All I'm saying is that chances are the Vikings are already running options based on not having AP with the team. Chances are they won't. If AP really doesn't want to play there anymore than my thinking is that if the Colts offered up Werner and Trent or whatever, then the Vikings may be inclined to take a look. I mean what are the Vikings losing here? The back who didn't want to play there anymore anyway? Okay and they gain a player in Werner who is young and affordable and if it doesn't work out who cares, they we're losing AP anyway. Chances are it might work for the Vikings though. It's not about the value as I mentioned it also might take is throwing in a draft pick IDK.. it's about throwing it out there and seeing if it would stick

Hey...if the Vikings front office would go for it...I'm in.

But another problem with this hypothetical is that if the Vikings started taking offers...it's a near certainty Dallas would jump in, especially with Peterson being from Texas and Demarco Murray looking very iffy to return.

Why would Dallas let one big money rb go just to pick up another? Makes no sense.

Well...let's face it, Jerry does like making big splashes.

But as LIS stated...Peterson with fresh legs and that O-line, and presumably Dez Bryant signed...would wipe the floor with NFC East defenses. And even if Romo gets maimed, it at least gives them a shot.

Apply what we know is Jerry Jones' M.O. and it almost makes perfect sense.

And why would they even want to trade one of the best RB's in the history of the game, and who's still a beast for a mediocre pass rusher like Werner? Or a broken RT?

why you think Werner is mediocre. Have you forgotten Jerry Hughes. He was here, he stunk, he went to Buffalo and he's a beast. Sometimes players flourish somewhere else in different systems

why you think Werner is mediocre. Have you forgotten Jerry Hughes. He was here, he stunk, he went to Buffalo and he's a beast. Sometimes players flourish somewhere else in different systems

Bjoern Werner has 0 explosion though and is a limited athlete. Hughes is explosive and athletic so he has a higher ceiling.

At first I thought he may be released, but I don't see that happening now and the only way they trade him is for a 1st IMO.

Any team that is willing to trade a first round pick for a 30 year old running back deserves to go 0-16 next year. At least when Grigson traded a first for a running back, he was a young guy with tons of potential. There is zero reason for any team to offer a first or imo even a second round pick for Peterson.

Dallas is in serious cap trouble though. They can't afford Peterson.

True....and I'm not a cap guru but 17M is tight.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

I'm not sure what ways they could get around it or delay the pain....but if there's a way for them to pull it off, I think Jerry has the Romo/Super Bowl window in mind.

If he CAN pull it off cap-wise I could see him trying to.

The Vikings could use Werner and we could use AP and possibly rework his current deal.

Maybe we throw in Cherilus and Werner. Right now the Vikings have LoadHolt I believe at RT.

Maybe throw 'em Trent , too. They might bite to give him a look seeing as his contract is still really low/manageable.. idk

Just Brainstorming

No, the Vikings would not trade AP for those players. Our GM likes to build the team through the draft. So, he would want draft picks in return for AP.

It sounds like the Vikes are open to trading him. The following article names the Colts as one of five teams to which AP could be traded.

From the article:

"...the tide has changed and it’s looking like Adrian will not be donning the Minnesota purple next season. I’m hearing through the backchannels the same things and that the team is testing the waters to see who’s interested in a trade. One way or another, the Vikings will attempt to move Adrian Peterson. The question now is, how can they maximize his value.

He’s still arguably the best running back in the league. He’ll have a year less of wear and tear on his body compared to most 30-year old backs. But how much is he realistically worth? As most trades in the NFL do, it will likely contain future draft picks rather than current players. You’re likely to have some interested buyers out there dangling a 2nd round pick in front of your nose, but I believe you can get more. I believe that you can find a team that thinks they are a running back away from a championship and leverage the situation. Leverage the fact that AP is a former MVP. Leverage the fact that he still runs with a full head of steam. Leverage all of it. It might be less likely, but it’s not outlandish to think that if you cover a portion of the cap hit, you could get a 1st and 4th round pick in return for Adrian Peterson....

How about Indy! The NFL world has been converging upon the city this past week so let’s not forget to include them here as well. Another team lacking any semblance of a rushing attack last season, the Colts should be convinced by now that Trent Richardson is not the answer. Stuck in a position where they don’t want to waste the prime years of Andrew Luck’s career, the Colts might believe they are a running back away from making a deep run. In reality, they are a cornerback, two linebackers and a defensive line away from making that run, but this isn’t ColtsJournal.com so we’ll leave that alone for now. The Colts will have somewhere in the ballpark of $35 million to work with in cap space, so make a bid. You can handle the contract as is and Peterson could help you get that edge over Brady that you didn’t have in the AFC Championship game this year...that slight, slight 38-point edge."

http://vikingsjournal.com/articles.html/_/minnesota-vikings-news/minnesota-vikings/the-5-most-likely-landing-spots-for-adrian-peterson-r422

See if the Bucs are willing to trade Logan Mankins for a 5th or 6th. That is a trade I would do. Even if we get 2 years out of him, we let him hurt some of his old teammates back from Foxboro :).

Fix the OL, the running game will become respectable. With Luck, we need the running game to be respectable. We don't need spectacular, we need efficient and respectable.

The only players the Colts have that have any meaningful trade value are Luck, Davis, and Hilton. And they're not going anywhere.

So what you're saying is.....we went 2-14 last year because all of our players suck.  OOOPS   We went 11-5 and went to the AFC Championship.  I forgot  :funny:  :lurk:

No, the Vikings would not trade AP for those players. Our GM likes to build the team through the draft. So, he would want draft picks in return for AP.

It sounds like the Vikes are open to trading him. The following article names the Colts as one of five teams to which AP could be traded.

From the article:

"...the tide has changed and it’s looking like Adrian will not be donning the Minnesota purple next season. I’m hearing through the backchannels the same things and that the team is testing the waters to see who’s interested in a trade. One way or another, the Vikings will attempt to move Adrian Peterson. The question now is, how can they maximize his value.

He’s still arguably the best running back in the league. He’ll have a year less of wear and tear on his body compared to most 30-year old backs. But how much is he realistically worth? As most trades in the NFL do, it will likely contain future draft picks rather than current players. You’re likely to have some interested buyers out there dangling a 2nd round pick in front of your nose, but I believe you can get more. I believe that you can find a team that thinks they are a running back away from a championship and leverage the situation. Leverage the fact that AP is a former MVP. Leverage the fact that he still runs with a full head of steam. Leverage all of it. It might be less likely, but it’s not outlandish to think that if you cover a portion of the cap hit, you could get a 1st and 4th round pick in return for Adrian Peterson....

How about Indy! The NFL world has been converging upon the city this past week so let’s not forget to include them here as well. Another team lacking any semblance of a rushing attack last season, the Colts should be convinced by now that Trent Richardson is not the answer. Stuck in a position where they don’t want to waste the prime years of Andrew Luck’s career, the Colts might believe they are a running back away from making a deep run. In reality, they are a cornerback, two linebackers and a defensive line away from making that run, but this isn’t ColtsJournal.com so we’ll leave that alone for now. The Colts will have somewhere in the ballpark of $35 million to work with in cap space, so make a bid. You can handle the contract as is and Peterson could help you get that edge over Brady that you didn’t have in the AFC Championship game this year...that slight, slight 38-point edge."

http://vikingsjournal.com/articles.html/_/minnesota-vikings-news/minnesota-vikings/the-5-most-likely-landing-spots-for-adrian-peterson-r422

Very interesting.....thank you for sharing.  And here I said he would be a Vike...we shall see.  

Any team that is willing to trade a first round pick for a 30 year old running back deserves to go 0-16 next year. At least when Grigson traded a first for a running back, he was a young guy with tons of potential. There is zero reason for any team to offer a first or imo even a second round pick for Peterson.

Yeah your 100% right. But I still think that's the only way Minnesota would consider trading him.

Very interesting.....thank you for sharing. And here I said he would be a Vike...we shall see.

I thought so too. I will be okay with his coming back or with his playing for another team (except Dallas and New England :) ) He would look good in a Colts uniform.

Yes, because Werner has been so much more impressive when the Colts line up in a 4 man front as opposed to when he is standing up.....

Colts have stated they want pass rushers, can't never have enough.. okay this means they arn't solid with who they have and will most likely go after a few in the draft, FA

Look maybe it would also take another player(Cherilus) or a third round pick as well, but Werner to me isn't suited for a 3-4 end/backer

He would however excel I believe in a 4-3 scheme(Vikings) as he played in college. The Vikings could use Werner and we could use AP and possibly rework his current deal.

Maybe we throw in Cherilus and Werner. Right now the Vikings have LoadHolt I believe at RT. We could move Mewhort to RT if Cherilus is gone. Kahlil might walk

Just Brainstorming

There is absolutely NO WAY the Colts will make a trade for a 30 year old runnung back who's bound to make $15 million a year. I know it's AP.. but he's coming off a year without contact and football, which could work in his favor or against him. But I'm not giving up a first round pick and $15 million in cap space to one guy. No thanks. If he is released.. then everything changes.

Yeah your 100% right. But I still think that's the only way Minnesota would consider trading him.

He's already basically said he doesn't trust the staff there and wants out ...If he starts causing issues because he wants to be traded and just becomes a pain in general they will trade him for a mid round pick, or mid round pick + ?.  Especially since this isn't a bad year to get a RB both in draft and FA; and they get $15 million more in cap if space if they trade him.

Trade AP to Dallas for a mid round pick ... then draft a RB with that mid round pick, pick up D Murray in FA, and still end up with extra cap space.  

All 30 year old RB's are not created equal.