Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

nfl moves and expansions

12isthenew18

In the mid 90's Chargers built a new stadium, Rams moved to st.louis and added teams such as the ravens, panthers, jags... The nfl might move not 1 not 2 but 3! teams to LA. LA can't support a fan base outside of the rams. San deigo would likely use antonio gates, phillip rivers etc. The raiders would have no fan base the way the play. I've heard rumor of 34 teams which is the worst idea of goddells which is saying a lot about his stupidity. Expansions would make roster building harder, drafting harder, odds of making playoffs and winning championships harder than they already are. But now they want teams international too like london, screw it paris where They'd have no fan base and nothing to coordinate with traveling. Not only is it the worst idea but abaout the number 32 it's a perfect BRACKET number. Which makes it so easy to make divisions split by GEOGRAPHICAL allignment of these franchises. There are 8 divisions and 4 teams in each so why try and "FIX" something that isn't broken. If they added teams they'd add like teams in like stinking portland, san antonio(which is a horrible boring city), tallahasee, little rock and all these places for a league that IS HARD AS IT CAN GET. What they should so is borrow stadiums if they REALLY want and make a DLEAGUE like they do for the NBA, NHL, and MLB franchises. I know they're useless as a sixers, flyers and phillies fan because they all stink. Finally I'm * at the league and if anyone else is or thinks Goddell is stupid please share so.

In the mid 90's Chargers built a new stadium, Rams moved to st.louis and added teams such as the ravens, panthers, jags... The nfl might move not 1 not 2 but 3! teams to LA. LA can't support a fan base outside of the rams. San deigo would likely use antonio gates, phillip rivers etc. The raiders would have no fan base the way the play. I've heard rumor of 34 teams which is the worst idea of goddells which is saying a lot about his stupidity. Expansions would make roster building harder, drafting harder, odds of making playoffs and winning championships harder than they already are. But now they want teams international too like london, screw it paris where They'd have no fan base and nothing to coordinate with traveling. Not only is it the worst idea but abaout the number 32 it's a perfect BRACKET number. Which makes it so easy to make divisions split by GEOGRAPHICAL allignment of these franchises. There are 8 divisions and 4 teams in each so why try and "FIX" something that isn't broken. If they added teams they'd add like teams in like stinking portland, san antonio(which is a horrible boring city), tallahasee, little rock and all these places for a league that IS HARD AS IT CAN GET. What they should so is borrow stadiums if they REALLY want and make a DLEAGUE like they do for the NBA, NHL, and MLB franchises. I know they're useless as a sixers, flyers and phillies fan because they all stink. Finally I'm * at the league and if anyone else is or thinks Goddell is stupid please share so.

Yet they get every pro sport. :(

What you seem to think is Goodell is in charge. Not hardly. Goodell is a very well paid puppet for the owners. He is bought and paid for. He is the face to put in front of the camera in place of the owners. He is paid to take all the heat because the owners do not want to be put on the spot and have to answer the tough questions. If you take a closer look you will notice that Goodell and the owners do not have a employer-employee relationship. They golf, party and rub elbows with each other. He is treated as a friend, not an employee. I agree with your assessment except for the part where Goodell is stupid. He is getting paid by his cronies millions of dollars to do what he is told to do. Do you really think Goodell makes the calls without consulting with the majority of the owners? No way. The way Goodell runs things brings the most amount of money into the owners pockets and that is the bottom line. You may think he is stupid but reality is he is far from stupid. The expansion talk is coming from the owners, not him. The NFL is a business and anything the owners can think of to make more money is discussed among themselves and relayed to Goodell. Look past the cameras and see what is going on behind closed doors.

I don't want it to change either but it is the number one sport so expansion is inevitable. I am kind of intrigued by having teams overseas. Have no idea how on earth they would compete here in the US when they have to fly over the pond 8 times a year. But I kind of dig the idea of a London team. I can already see the references to the revolution, Paul Revere, Old brits vs New brits when they play the Pats. And of course the hatred is already built in between the US and Europe. I mean who doesn't hate France? lol. Imagine Sherman going off on the Parisians? Talk about entertaining TV.

I also think we are going to see the 18 game season and expanded playoffs soon. Just too much money to be made not to do these things.

You asked us to share so here goes...

This nonsensical rant you went on is so factually inaccurate and grammatically poor that it makes trying to find your point in the mess is a major challenge.  But let me ask - it took all those words to ask your ultimate question which appears to be do we think Goodell is stupid?  

No.  He is not stupid.  He has taken missteps but he is anything but dumb.

Qualcomm Stadium and the Oakland Coliseum were built in the mid-1960s, and are pretty much considered antiques by NFL standards. While they were state-of-the-art facilities fifty years ago, they are relics of an era when a season ticket was 90 bucks, and the average player had to take an off-season job to make ends meet. Still, they were an upgrade over such places like Kezar Stadium, the former home of the 49ers, where your "seat" was a number painted on a wooden bench. 

I can't fault the Chargers or the Raiders for wanting out of their current locations. Fans now demand more luxurious surroundings, where the old hot dog and a beer have been replaced by sushi and chardonnay. If the cities of San Diego and Oakland can't bring themselves to help finance new venues, then it's probably time for both franchises to move on. 

I am not too sure LA would support two NFL teams. They have two NBA and MLB teams that get support. Maybe with a new football stadium? LA couldn't support the last two NFL teams where they were there. Was it lack of fans or the lack of an up to date stadium? I can see getting support from fans out of San Diego because they are not that far apart but the Rams didn't get that much support when they were there. LA also has a huge college following in basketball and football so maybe I am barking up the wrong tree? It seems I remember a study done a few years ago and the NFL didn't think LA could support a NFL team let along two of them. A new stadium would bring in more business than just NFL football so I don't know.

I am not too sure LA would support two NFL teams. They have two NBA and MLB teams that get support. Maybe with a new football stadium? LA couldn't support the last two NFL teams where they were there. Was it lack of fans or the lack of an up to date stadium? I can see getting support from fans out of San Diego because they are not that far apart but the Rams didn't get that much support when they were there. LA also has a huge college following in basketball and football so maybe I am barking up the wrong tree? It seems I remember a study done a few years ago and the NFL didn't think LA could support a NFL team let along two of them. A new stadium would bring in more business than just NFL football so I don't know.

I've been out here for 35 years....and it wouldn't bother me a bit if they kept the status quo.

Ideally, IMO....Spanos and the City of San Diego should pull their heads out of their :censored:  and get a deal done.

Beyond that, if Stan Kroenke wants to partner up with Marc Davis and build something for the Rams and Raiders to share somewhere in L.A. ....and my taxes don't help pay for it.....then be my guest.

I read where the league would most likely move either the Raiders or Chargers (since they would be sharing one stadium)  to NFC West.

Then either the Cardinals or Rams would be moved to AFC West.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/20/if-chargers-and-raiders-share-stadium-one-would-likely-move-to-nfc/

On a personal level I would like to see a total revamp of the whole AFC-NFC and divisions. Have all team teams split into divisions by where they are from. It would cut down on travel time and expense. Plus the fans would have the opportunity to go to a division game that could be done in a short drive. I know this will not happen but I kind of thought it was a good idea.

I've been out here for 35 years....and it wouldn't bother me a bit if they kept the status quo.

Ideally, IMO....Spanos and the City of San Diego should pull their heads out of their :censored:  and get a deal done.

Beyond that, if Stan Kroenke wants to partner up with Marc Davis and build something for the Rams and Raiders to share somewhere in L.A. ....and my taxes don't help pay for it.....then be my guest.

I understand that for sure. With you being from there do you think the fans would support two NFL teams in LA? Seems like the two owners are at odds on where they want to build a stadium. Maybe downtown Watts or Vernon? :thinking:  :spit:

On a personal level I would like to see a total revamp of the whole AFC-NFC and divisions. Have all team teams split into divisions by where they are from. It would cut down on travel time and expense. Plus the fans would have the opportunity to go to a division game that could be done in a short drive. I know this will not happen but I kind of thought it was a good idea.

it's a great idea it could be done I think it should be that way no reason we should have to drive or fly to Jacksonville same for them coming here Houston too

I understand that for sure. With you being from there do you think the fans would support two NFL teams in LA? Seems like the two owners are at odds on where they want to build a stadium. Maybe downtown Watts or Vernon? :thinking::spit:

I have my doubts...so many folks here are not California natives and brought their NFL allegiances with them.

Ever-present Raider fans would probably support them if they move down, but just about every life long Rams fan that I know spat them out when they left and became a fan of some other team.

But there's a pile of $$$$ to be made so someone will move in sooner or later.

Apologies to those who have been west but I have not..

Are San Diego and LA the same TV market ffom an advertising standpoint?

Would Chargers fans cheer for the team if they were in LA?

CC is right......Is the LA market big enough for 2 teams?

Are Oakland and San Francisco the same TV market? Did Oakland fans reject the LA raiders before? That was my impression from afar

Would the NFL be better off TV-wise if SD stayed in SD....Oakland stayed in Oakland and St. Louis moved to LA...?

What is a business?

A means to make money and then you can expand your influence and make more money. 

The NFL will always have expansion on their mind. Do not forget about how they flirt with London and push this crap on the Brits over there that would much rather be watching Rugby and original Football (Soccer, as we call it and Rugby technically is American Football's original design) or how they flirt with Toronto and talk about moving a team there even though the Canadians already have their own league.

if the NFL could, they would put a team in London, L.A., San Antonio, and Toronto as a way to expand and make more money. They would not think twice about doing this to make more money. 

While they do not need an expansion, given that you have 2 conferences based on 4 divisions all with 4 teams, you can't tell a capitalist that, cause all they think about is making more money. That's just how it works sadly, as lame as that is. 

It's not a question about would it be better or any of that. They are a business. They're simply expanding and trying to increase their profits. That's all it is.