Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Boston's sports media are off their rockers!

backshoulderfade

I think what I was trying to say was putting the total pieces of a legacy together and coming up flawed. Some might say, four Championships, great records, but Spygate, Tuck, formations, Deflategate. Rose, all his Championships and records, are overshadowed by gambling. Bonds and Clemens and that whole era of players, overshadowed by PED's. The records and championships are there, but they are eclipsed by the issues.

For example, when comparing Belichick to Lombardi or Noll, one might say, great coach , but the other guys didn't tape signals, or work on the outside peripheries of the game. With Brady, comparing him to Unitas or Montana, well he got three with Spygate and one through Deflategate.

It's not so much for us to decide, but football historians who decide these things.

You know I respect you TOC & I do enjoy reading your perspective on football related issues & controversies as they arise year after year. You are right though. If a fan detests the Patriots, they will cling to any morsel of negative publicity to discredit this organization like Spy Gate or DeFlate Gate. Prejudice goes a long way to believing a rumor before all the facts are out. I remember when the Aaron Hernandez murder scandal 1st broke & I said, hades I even wrote it, if this happened to Dallas, I would be all over this scandal & have a field day with this controversy because of my strong dislike for the Dallas Cowboys.

My point is this: Usually if a person hates a team or organization they will latch on to whatever piece of information tarnishes that club at least until all the dust settles. I'm guilty of that myself. The flip side of that coin is this: If I really like & admire a team, how far will I go to downplay & almost pardon what they allegedly did if a fine is indeed handed down by Roger Goodell? To answer my own question honestly, a long way. I'd probably say something like "It was just a difference in how a rule was interpreted. NE paid their fine. It's over; it's done. Turn the page. It's not like Robert Kraft or Bill Belichick refused to pay it & told the NFL to stick it." 

Where it gets tricky is what level of blame attachment people cling to regarding fowl play accusations. Honestly, IMO deflated balls doesn't give 1 side a decided advantage over another team not like pumping in noise might which could alter communication on the o-line resulting in fumbles & missed blocking assignments because no one can hear what the protection call is. Also, the Tuck Rule is the referees fault that NE cannot really be blamed for because they had no control over how that was going to be called either way. Did NE benefit from it? Sure they did, but NE didn't bribe a zebra to make him give Brady the ball back vs the Raiders. 

The other thing I always wonder about is what rules were on the books when say Montana played as opposed to when Brady played? In other words, different eras had different rules & different levels of enforcement & the rule book gets tinkered with & modified every single year via the NFL Competition Committee & the owners meetings in Florida, Arizona, etc. etc. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But the fact that they didn't record where they were pre game really hinders the case against NE.

Exactly, I have no doubt that there will not be enough to find them guilty based on the NFL's track record but I would hope that NE fans would stop trying to twist the actual facts.

Exactly, I have no doubt that there will not be enough to find them guilty based on the NFL's track record but I would hope that NE fans would stop trying to twist the actual facts.

Well you can see that I also had a little issue with that also. But I don't thing she did it intentionally while I think that might not be the case with others.

There are no "actual facts", so everyone who is expressing an opinion is twisting something, and that includes you.

My prediction on what will happen is this...I think the NFL is going to save face here by fining the Pats some small amount ($100K or less) on the grounds that they violated the protocol when the old dude took a leak, and that will officially close the book from the league's perspective. From the internet's perspective, the haters are going to scream that there is a cover-up, the Pats fans are going to complain about the token fine, and eventually it will be summer and people will chill out and go outside.

The whole issue and media circus no matter what the results have/will tarnish the Legacy of the Patriots outside of New England

As long as no Lombardi Trophies are taken away, a football team's legacy isn't really tarnished longterm though PT. Also, if Brady & Belichick win a 5th ring. There's no way Canton can exclude them. 

Some fans can condemn them til the cows come home, but at the end of the day, greatness will always be propped up & nationally recognized no matter what. 

So, once again, the ONLY ball significantly below was in the hands of the Colts.

Notice how some in that website even said that that was "fishy."

Where in that did it say the ball submitted by the Colts was 2 pounds under? How is that fishy when there are several other balls still 1 lb under?

My prediction on what will happen is this...I think the NFL is going to save face here by fining the Pats some small amount ($100K or less) on the grounds that they violated the protocol when the old dude took a leak, and that will officially close the book from the league's perspective. From the internet's perspective, the haters are going to scream that there is a cover-up, the Pats fans are going to complain about the token fine, and eventually it will be summer and people will chill out and go outside.

Agreed 100%

When I think of the Steelers I think of all the roids that taint their championships. When I think of the niners I think of how they spent money basically like the Yankees before the cap period in football and pretty much bought their SBs and then there is Eddie DeBartolo's bribe admission that got him suspended from the league. And then of course there are the Broncos and their two while circumventing the cap.

I am not sure there is any true dynasty that does not have some baggage to it. As a Pats fan, spygate has never bothered me as it was legal to tape signals prior to 2006 and Goodell's memo. And deflategate has yet to be proven so that really is not part of the conversation at this point. And even still, it is a $25,000 slap on the wrist according to the games operations rule book so ...

All that being said, I think Pete Carroll said it best prior to the SB when he talked about teams wanting to play with integrity but failing at times because they are human. Every team is looking for an edge, gamesmanship, some take it took far like Pete Rose or the roid popping baseball athletes that may never get into the Hall.

But just in the last couple of years of the NFL, I have seen two HCs in Tomlin and Ryan try to trip kick returners from the sideline, the Falcons have been piping in crowd noise, the Browns haven been texting, and the officials, oh the officials, took a win from the Detroit Lions in the post-season with a call then non-call that they then admitted they got wrong. None of this makes me feel very good but I don't watch the sport because I believe everything is on the up and up. I mean that is not true in life much less a professional sports environment.

How the Pats are remembered 10 years from now or 20 really does not concern me. Their achievements are in the books and every team going forward will be trying to catch them. I am just happy it happened during my lifetime. We are truly blessed in New England with 9 championships the last 12 years spanning all four major sports. Sometimes I think my 81 year dad thinks he has already died and gone to heaven. He still does not believe the Red Sox won one ring much less three. :)

As a Boston fan, I wouldn't expect you to be concerned. The concern is future perceptions for HOF balloting , as well as final legacy. The historians will decide this, not us, but when these guys are mentioned , the " gates" will be brought up. These guys will get in the HOF , I'm sure, but they may be stuck with a bit of Gaylord Perry spit on the way in.

To the people who post in this topic. If you want to discuss this, keep your cool and post reasonably.

If you don't want to discuss it or you think people posting in the thread are too annoying to you, please stay away from the thread.

The discussion at this point is going to be ridiculous with reporters calling for owners to be banned. Good grief.

Knowing that, you enter this topic at your own will

Pats fans, keep it polite. Don't go in circles else you end up in the mod queue/suspended or banned

Colts fans keep in mind, if you post shots at a team, their fans are not going to take it kindly. No matter how much you think they should

Everybody is responsible for what they read and what they post. If you are angry, take a break. Don't blame others for your reaction

I'm not sure how anyone could bash Irsay or Grigson for bringing up a concern. God knows Kraft and Belichick are going after the Jets for tampering. Maybe Hess will demand an apology before the investigation is done, like Kraft.

As a Boston fan, I wouldn't expect you to be concerned. The concern is future perceptions for HOF balloting , as well as final legacy. The historians will decide this, not us, but when these guys are mentioned , the " gates" will be brought up. These guys will get in the HOF , I'm sure, but they may be stuck with a bit of Gaylord Perry spit on the way in.

There is no way either Brady or Bill do not go into the HoF. There is only violation here spygate which was legal to do for their rings. Only became illegal in 2006. Deflategate has not been proven at all.

To be honest though I have never really cared about the HoF in general. I think the baseball HoF is a joke and the NFL is not far behind ...

There is no way either Brady or Bill do not go into the HoF. There is only violation here spygate which was legal to do for their rings. Only became illegal in 2006. Deflategate has not been proven at all.

To be honest though I have never really cared about the HoF in general. I think the baseball HoF is a joke and the NFL is not far behind ...

:headspin::funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

So, once again, the ONLY ball significantly below was in the hands of the Colts.

Notice how some in that website even said that that was "fishy."

Still awaiting your response on you latest lie . How about you stop skipping over posts that nail your butt to the wall ? About the 3rd time you've done that.  Post 103 just in case you may have missed it.

I'm not sure how anyone could bash Irsay or Grigson for bringing up a concern. God knows Kraft and Belichick are going after the Jets for tampering. Maybe Hess will demand an apology before the investigation is done, like Kraft.

eh, when people are angry they say all kinds of things

Well...does the fact that Shefter is now talking about the "Colts Deflated the Ball" theory make it a little bit less far-fetched?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/06/new-deflategate-theory-colts-deflated-ball-after-jacksons-pick/

It’s not completely clear where this conspiracy theory started, but it was floated today on Boston radio station WEEI, when Adam Schefter of ESPN was a guest. After the host proposed to Schefter that “The Colts deflated the one ball that D’Qwell Jackson intercepted, and all the other balls were just a tick under,” Schefter said that’s a theory he’s heard.

“I do think there are people who believe that,” Schefter said. “I know there are people who believe that. . . . I’ll just say, I’m not even going to specify, there are people who believe that, OK? There are people who believe that. And I think there are people who have heard that theory and who say, ‘That’s impossible.'”

Well...does the fact that Shefter is now talking about the "Colts Deflated the Ball" theory make it a little bit less far-fetched?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/06/new-deflategate-theory-colts-deflated-ball-after-jacksons-pick/

It’s not completely clear where this conspiracy theory started, but it was floated today on Boston radio station WEEI, when Adam Schefter of ESPN was a guest. After the host proposed to Schefter that “The Colts deflated the one ball that D’Qwell Jackson intercepted, and all the other balls were just a tick under,” Schefter said that’s a theory he’s heard.

“I do think there are people who believe that,” Schefter said. “I know there are people who believe that. . . . I’ll just say, I’m not even going to specify, there are people who believe that, OK? There are people who believe that. And I think there are people who have heard that theory and who say, ‘That’s impossible.'”

Excellent question.

The answer is no.

If that is true, I don't know how I could ever root for my team again. Our original sources came from Mortenson, and I know Schefter is just as credible but considering he didn't confirm anything on a Boston radio station but kind of just stirred the pot I am hoping that's all.

Excellent question.

The answer is no.

Why do you think it's far fetched? Hell - it's a much more fun conspiracy theory with some meat on the bone...

1) The original story was floated that Jackson noticed the ball was deflated when he picked it off, so he gave it to the sideline

2) Shortly after that, Jackson went out of his way to say he noticed nothing whatsoever unusual about the ball...he basically distanced himself immediately from that original report

3) The latest stories suggest that only that ball, the intercepted one, was deflated beyond what would reasonably be explained naturally

1 and 2 are facts. 3 is an uncomfirmed story. if 3 proves to be true, then I'm sorry...that does shift suspicion to the Colts.

Again, it's not confirmed if it's 11 balls two under (mort), one ball two under and the rest just ticks (rapsheet), or one ball two under that was the colts ball, many that were 1 lb and many that were ticks with one fine (PFT).

And this is why Goodell needs to go. This has become an utter joke and we're all becoming 9/11 truthers over freakin' football air pressure.

I will leave it at this...my first reaction to this story when it first broke was to believe it as reported and to be extremely disappointed and bewildered at why the Patriots would do this to gain a barely marginal advantage against a team they had handled easily in prior meetings. The first time I started to step off the ledge and think "wait a second" was when Jackson came out and distanced himself from the original reports. That struck me as strange from the get-go, given that the original reports were pretty detailed about how Jackson intercepted the ball, noticed it didn't feel right and handed it to the trainer to check it out. Where did that story come from if Jackson came out immediately and said he didn't notice anything wrong with the ball and just wanted to save it for himself.

And this is why Goodell needs to go. This has become an utter joke and we're all becoming 9/11 truthers over freakin' football air pressure.

I will leave it at this...my first reaction to this story when it first broke was to believe it as reported and to be extremely disappointed and bewildered at why the Patriots would do this to gain a barely marginal advantage against a team they had handled easily in prior meetings. The first time I started to step off the ledge and think "wait a second" was when Jackson came out and distanced himself from the original reports. That struck me as strange from the get-go, given that the original reports were pretty detailed about how Jackson intercepted the ball, noticed it didn't feel right and handed it to the trainer to check it out. Where did that story come from if Jackson came out immediately and said he didn't notice anything wrong with the ball and just wanted to save it for himself.

I wouldn't implicate Jackson the same way I never thought brady was guilty just bc he said he liked deflated footballs (I thought based on original reports he was guilty but I never let that meaningless quote actually mean something). I would think its Grigson or Pagano ordering an equipment guy before I would think Jackson was involved.

I wouldn't implicate Jackson the same way I never thought brady was guilty just bc he said he liked deflated footballs (I thought based on original reports he was guilty but I never let that meaningless quote actually mean something). I would think its Grigson or Pagano ordering an equipment guy before I would think Jackson was involved.

Oh I'm not saying Jackson is involved...just the opposite. I'm saying Jackson probably woke up the next day, saw that someone put this story out there involving him and he was like "huh?!", so he reaches out to the media to set the record straight that he didn't notice anything.

Now, if you ask me what my "conspiracy theory" angle is...let's say somebody on the Colts side wanted to deflate a ball to screw the Pats....the story about a player intercepting a ball and noticing it didn't feel fully inflated would make a good cover story, right? There has to be something that's prompting the Colts to ask for that ball to be tested....

Pats fan generally just want the truth to finally be disclosed by an actual league representative .Hopefully Ted Wells gets his job done sooner rather than later ...at least BEFORE the upcoming NFL draft( if a guilty party is found - draft picks may be forfeited )

Why do you think it's far fetched? Hell - it's a much more fun conspiracy theory with some meat on the bone...

1) The original story was floated that Jackson noticed the ball was deflated when he picked it off, so he gave it to the sideline

2) Shortly after that, Jackson went out of his way to say he noticed nothing whatsoever unusual about the ball...he basically distanced himself immediately from that original report

3) The latest stories suggest that only that ball, the intercepted one, was deflated beyond what would reasonably be explained naturally

1 and 2 are facts. 3 is an uncomfirmed story. if 3 proves to be true, then I'm sorry...that does shift suspicion to the Colts.

Stop. Schefter gave a meaningless answer to a question about a conspiracy theory.

"Some people believe that."

Stop. Schefter gave a meaningless answer to a question about a conspiracy theory.

"Some people believe that."

yeah he pretty much said yeah I heard that's out there and I am sure some people believe it. That's hardly a ringing endorsement of it. Since most of the people who believe it happen to live in New England and he was on the biggest New England sports station there is he pretty much blew it off without being a jerk about it. He just confirmed he had heard the theory and that he is sure some people believe it that's all. There is nothing there to say that he thinks or doesn't that is what happened and he clearly not reporting that things went down that way.

Honestly, this story changes every day and people and now just hearing what they want to hear and twisting things so their side is right. It's probsbly best to just wait and see what the league finds.

yeah he pretty much said yeah I heard that's out there and I am sure some people believe it. That's hardly a ringing endorsement of it. Since most of the people who believe it happen to live in New England and he was on the biggest New England sports station there is he pretty much blew it off without being a jerk about it. He just confirmed he had heard the theory and that he is sure some people believe it that's all. There is nothing there to say that he thinks or doesn't that is what happened and he clearly not reporting that things went down that way.

Honestly, this story changes every day and people and now just hearing what they want to hear and twisting things so their side is right. It's probsbly best to just wait and see what the league finds.

Shefter is probably the best journalist working in sports these days. He's not selling out his credibility to tell a Boston audience what they want to hear. THAT I can assure you. Also, he went a little further than speculating that some people might believe this theory. He stated as fact that he knows  some people do (without naming names).

My point in posting the article is that this thread started off dismissing this theory as nothing other than a tall tale being spread among fans. What Shefter's report suggests is that it goes beyond that and there are people "on the inside" who are discussing this as a possibility. Personally, my belief in it is dependent on what the real story is on the 12 balls. But IF the story is true that only that ball was significantly deflated then I think this story will have serious legs and I would hope the league would be investigating it.

You know I respect you TOC & I do enjoy reading your perspective on football related issues & controversies as they arise year after year. You are right though. If a fan detests the Patriots, they will cling to any morsel of negative publicity to discredit this organization like Spy Gate or DeFlate Gate. Prejudice goes a long way to believing a rumor before all the facts are out. I remember when the Aaron Hernandez murder scandal 1st broke & I said, hades I even wrote it, if this happened to Dallas, I would be all over this scandal & have a field day with this controversy because of my strong dislike for the Dallas Cowboys.

My point is this: Usually if a person hates a team or organization they will latch on to whatever piece of information tarnishes that club at least until all the dust settles. I'm guilty of that myself. The flip side of that coin is this: If I really like & admire a team, how far will I go to downplay & almost pardon what they allegedly did if a fine is indeed handed down by Roger Goodell? To answer my own question honestly, a long way. I'd probably say something like "It was just a difference in how a rule was interpreted. NE paid their fine. It's over; it's done. Turn the page. It's not like Robert Kraft or Bill Belichick refused to pay it & told the NFL to stick it."

Where it gets tricky is what level of blame attachment people cling to regarding fowl play accusations. Honestly, IMO deflated balls doesn't give 1 side a decided advantage over another team not like pumping in noise might which could alter communication on the o-line resulting in fumbles & missed blocking assignments because no one can hear what the protection call is. Also, the Tuck Rule is the referees fault that NE cannot really be blamed for because they had no control over how that was going to be called either way. Did NE benefit from it? Sure they did, but NE didn't bribe a zebra to make him give Brady the ball back vs the Raiders.

The other thing I always wonder about is what rules were on the books when say Montana played as opposed to when Brady played? In other words, different eras had different rules & different levels of enforcement & the rule book gets tinkered with & modified every single year via the NFL Competition Committee & the owners meetings in Florida, Arizona, etc. etc.

Shefter is probably the best journalist working in sports these days. He's not selling out his credibility to tell a Boston audience what they want to hear. THAT I can assure you. Also, he went a little further than speculating that some people might believe this theory. He stated as fact that he knows  some people do (without naming names).

My point in posting the article is that this thread started off dismissing this theory as nothing other than a tall tale being spread among fans. What Shefter's report suggests is that it goes beyond that and there are people "on the inside" who are discussing this as a possibility. Personally, my belief in it is dependent on what the real story is on the 12 balls. But IF the story is true that only that ball was significantly deflated then I think this story will have serious legs and I would hope the league would be investigating it.

eh

Shefter is addicted to being the person that breaks everything.  And this is no exception.  He said he 'knows' and I'm sure he does know one or more people who think this.  .  He does not say WHO and he also does that often. As far as I know, he could be talking about anybody.......so, I'm not swayed

It's just him making himself the center of discussion.  He's going to have to wait and see just like everyone else. And I'm sure that chaps him no end

eh

Shefter is addicted to being the person that breaks everything.  And this is no exception.  He said he 'knows' and I'm sure he does know one or more people who think this.  .  He does not say WHO and he also does that often. As far as I know, he could be talking about anybody.......so, I'm not swayed

It's just him making himself the center of discussion.  He's going to have to wait and see just like everyone else. And I'm sure that chaps him no end

yeah - again...I would still file this theory in the "far-fetched" category. My only point in posting it was to demonstrate that this goes a bit further than just a fan/local media conspiracy theory being spread around the internet as the op implies.

The Media on all sides have been irresponsible.  

No matter what you think may have happened, or what you think the punishments may or may not be,  the media has been setting fans up for extreme disappointment.   Whatever the truth is,  there is going to be a lot of angst, disappointment and the feeling of being lied to by many.

Here is the deal on the HOF. There are 46 representatives who choose HOF members , 32 from each football market , 1 at large pro football writers association member , and 13 at large members. If you get enough negativity from a large enough segment of the country , you can easily get bypassed. Art Modell , for example, did a lot of HOF worthy things for the NFL, but the Cleveland guys and their allies , have long kept him out for the move. If you make enough enemies, or they think some of your accomplishments were under some less than honorable circumstances , they may be waiting a bit.

yeah - again...I would still file this theory in the "far-fetched" category. My only point in posting it was to demonstrate that this goes a bit further than just a fan/local media conspiracy theory being spread around the internet as the op implies.

I guess

If the discussion is about the validity of conspiracy theories then the fact that Adam Shefter is confirming that he has heard that conspiracy theory and that some believe it and some think it is ridiculous........is evidence that it 's more than just local media that believe it?

But.........again, we don't know who he heard from that believe it.  Could be the same 'deep throat' that fed it to local media

we just just don't know.

It's exhausting following all the speculation and there's no need.  Investigation will hopefully explain all

Here is the deal on the HOF. There are 46 representatives who choose HOF members , 32 from each football market , 1 at large pro football writers association member , and 13 at large members. If you get enough negativity from a large enough segment of the country , you can easily get bypassed. Art Modell , for example, did a lot of HOF worthy things for the NFL, but the Cleveland guys and their allies , have long kept him out for the move. If you make enough enemies, or they think some of your accomplishments were under some less than honorable circumstances , they may be waiting a bit.

Yeah that is why the HoF really does not concern. It can be a sewing circle.

Yeah that is why the HoF really does not concern. It can be a sewing circle.

That is true, but to complete the legacy , you have to have the Hall. If the air is let out of this Deflategate thing, which it probably will be, I don't think Spygate will be enough to keep them out, but maybe they don't get in on the first ballot. It's up to the writers in the different NFL markets, and how they view the whole thing.

That is true, but to complete the legacy , you have to have the Hall. If the air is let out of this Deflategate thing, which it probably will be, I don't think Spygate will be enough to keep them out, but maybe they don't get in on the first ballot. It's up to the writers in the different NFL markets, and how they view the whole thing.

I don't think any of this would keep them out of the hall. They are both widely considered not just great player/coach but the greatest of all time.

And if the air isn't let out...???   

And if the air isn't let out...???

They have absolutely no problem ever getting in. While I do have problems with the NFL hall of fame voters making guys wait, it's not like the MLB where you could have a single rumor associating you with a PED that's not proven and the whole writers association (who have never played baseball) blackballed you completely.