Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dustin's 2/02/15 Mock Draft

Round 1- Benardrick McKinney, ILB, Mississippi State. Probably the most athletic of the 3 major ILBers who will be around at 29. He's a stout run defender, who is for some reason getting underrated in his coverage game. This is a guy to build a defense around. 6'5 250 lbs. 

Round 2- Gerod Holliman, FS, Louisville. IMO, the most natural coverage safety in this draft. He'll be a steal if we can get him here. He's a not a good tackler (actually really bad), so he'll be downgraded for that. 

Round 3- Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State. http://forums.colts.com/topic/35274-scouting-profile-jay-ajayi-rb-boise-state/

Round 4- Henry Anderson, DE/DT, Stanford. IMO, one of the more underrated players in this draft. Anderson has all the makings of a quality starting 5-tech. He'll rise by draft time. Slow of the line. Probably the only major weakness in his game. 

Not familiar enough with the late round guys, so I'll end this here. 

That would be a really solid draft. I really like Holliman and I'm familiar with him since he played for UofL. I think Anderson could be a steal in the 4th too. If he develops the way I think he can, he's the kind of guy I could see getting 6-8 sacks at DE in our 3-4.

Going from Holliman to Landry is going from a safety who misses tackles to a safety who doesn't even try to tackle...

Great range, good coverage, great ball skills, definitely a playmaker. I just hate that he can't/won't hit or tackle. 

Wouldn't exactly call Landry a guy who tries very hard either lol

http://giant.gfycat.com/PopularBreakableBluetonguelizard.gif

I don't see it with McKinney. He doesn't run hard, he doesn't show this range that he supposedly has, he doesn't generally arrive at the ball with authority (there are clear exceptions, however, when he rocks a ball carrier), he doesn't turn and run with receivers or handle crossing receivers well... He has a few plays every once in a while where you see some play making ability, and it looks like offenses try to avoid him, but I don't see this great prospect. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets to the Combine and runs a 4.85, and looks stiff in drills, and drops to the bottom of the second round, or worse.

The good, which seems to be really infrequent: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=254301&gif=TerrificDampCock

The bad, which seems to be far more common: http://draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=254404&gif=FirmNearKoi (What he does after the catch bothers me way more than how he gets beat in coverage, and I see a lot of him jogging around with little intent to get involved in a play.)

Good run defender, definitely. He can shed moving blockers, dip under them to make tackles, usually tackles pretty well when he's in position. But if the play doesn't come his way, don't look for him to sniff it out and get the stop. I see him as a downhill guy with only sporadic explosiveness. 

I wouldn't even touch Holliman that early. His tackling isn't just bad, its terrible. The guy who did his write up on NFL.com called his tackling atrocious. Plus he's a one season wonder.

I heard his tackling was bad, so I watched some tape and was blown away at how bad it was. Makes me think of a Deion Sanders type that was amazing at coverage, but wouldn't tackle anyone if he didn't HAVE to.

Going from Holliman to Landry is going from a safety who misses tackles to a safety who doesn't even try to tackle... Some ppl say he's gonna run a high 4.4 I'm thinking a 4.58

Great range, good coverage, great ball skills, definitely a playmaker. I just hate that he can't/won't hit or tackle.

I heard his tackling was bad, so I watched some tape and was blown away at how bad it was. Makes me think of a Deion Sanders type that was amazing at coverage, but wouldn't tackle anyone if he didn't HAVE to.

If he does not want to hit I would not dare bring this guy in.  It's like picking a QB that can not throw, A running back that can not run. A kicker that can not kick.

So what is Holliman going to do when faced with the task of tackling Legarret Blount? There's other safties out there that bring more to the table I think.

If we have to rely on our safeties to stop running backs, we've already lost.

If we have to rely on our safeties to stop running backs, we've already lost.

Still my preference is for a guy that can do both things at a resonable to high level.    I didn't say rely, but when the guy must I want to know that he's more than able, and willing to do so.  Just what I like...

Yeah it's no over exaggeration. I'd be shocked if he went before the 3rd round. He has no willingness to tackle, and can't tackle when he does. I'm not sure that's something that's really fixable. It's one thing to teach a guy proper tackling form, but it's another to try and teach someone one of the basic fundamentals of football.

This is not my first safety choice, but I'd take a guy like Chris Hackett from TCU before I would take Holliman based on what I like.  Hackett is not a huge thumper, but he's not scared to come in an make some solid tackles in traffic. Has a good sized frame at 6'2" and had 7 interceptions this year.  Just needs to gain a little weight I think at 195 lbs.

Yeah it's no over exaggeration. I'd be shocked if he went before the 3rd round. He has no willingness to tackle, and can't tackle when he does. I'm not sure that's something that's really fixable. It's one thing to teach a guy proper tackling form, but it's another to try and teach someone one of the basic fundamentals of football.

It's courage and willingness related, and that's not easily fixed.

I like your 3rd and 4th round picks. 

If we resign Freeman, then I don't see us drafting an ILB high in the draft. Perhaps we look at Stephone Anthony or Zach Vigil in the 4th or 5th round. 

I would pass on Holliman altogether. Yes he is a ballhawk, but he is a liability against the run. I would rather look at other candidates in the later rounds. I also would consider strongly looking at some of the safeties available in free agency. 

Round 4- Henry Anderson, DE/DT, Stanford. IMO, one of the more underrated players in this draft. Anderson has all the makings of a quality starting 5-tech. He'll rise by draft time. Slow of the line. Probably the only major weakness in his game. 

He only has one tape on DB, but it was very impressive. Against Utah, he had three sacks, he consistently got into the backfield, he read options and screens. He's a very active lineman, and seems to have long, strong arms to get off blocks. Not very explosive but can still beat a blocker off the line if he can anticipate the snap. If he gets upright, he doesn't win. He showed good hand fighting, a couple swim moves, decent closing speed. 

If we got him in the 4th round, I'd like that. I think he has a lot of potential as a 3/5 tech guy, especially once he gets up to 300-305 pounds. I remember thinking that he was much better than Josh Mauro last draft season.

He only has one tape on DB, but it was very impressive. Against Utah, he had three sacks, he consistently got into the backfield, he read options and screens. He's a very active lineman, and seems to have long, strong arms to get off blocks. Not very explosive but can still beat a blocker off the line if he can anticipate the snap. If he gets upright, he doesn't win. He showed good hand fighting, a couple swim moves, decent closing speed. 

If we got him in the 4th round, I'd like that. I think he has a lot of potential as a 3/5 tech guy, especially once he gets up to 300-305 pounds. I remember thinking that he was much better than Josh Mauro last draft season.

Ha I knew you'd like him. Wish he had more games on DB though.