Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Agent for Duron Carter talking with Colts

PeterBowman

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most guaranteed money is most likely what he's looking for.  Another post on rotoworld indicated that he's looking for a $100,000 signing bonus. . . that is a lot for a UDFA coming out of the CFL.

For what it's worth,  we gave Muamba more than $100K guaranteed a year ago....

It's not unprecedented....

If Grigson wants him I'm confident he will seal the deal. He's a closer with free agents.

One of the rotoworld comments seem to indicate that Duron wanted to follow in his dad's footsteps and play for the Vikings.  

Hopefully we can bring him in though.  I wouldn't expect too much of him right away though.  

I have seen Carter make some nasty one handed catches..

Man.. I really want to see this kid get a shot with Luck.

Why so he can be put on the bench and only have 15-20 snaps a game?  Then people can say how much of a big disappointment he is, because he will be in the same situation Nicks was.  Perhaps his crappy attitude will come out and even cause locker room problems.  Sounds like were better off keeping Hakeem Nicks if the price is right!

Why so he can be put on the bench and only have 15-20 snaps a game?  Then people can say how much of a big disappointment he is, because he will be in the same situation Nicks was.  Perhaps his crappy attitude will come out and even cause locker room problems.  Sounds like were better off keeping Hakeem Nicks if the price is right!

Nicks gets limited snaps because he is slow and can't beat press coverage

a few big catches doesn't equal an emergence. The kid is very good, but to say he is the clear cut #2 is very premature

Look, everyone in the league has a #2...it happens almost every day. Sometimes it's a solid #2 and sometimes a very soft #2...if you know what I'm saying :P

And sometimes it's definitely premature...which is bad...very very bad.

You are worried about them signing a player for min salary?  Again he may want a large signing bonus. . . doesn't mean he's gonna get it but he's not going to get a big contract.  He's a UDFA out of the CFL.  He has to prove himself in the NFL first.  

If people can get excited about Donte Moncrief then I don't see why they can't get as excited about a player like Carter. I know the CLF is not the NFL, but nor is it on the same level as college. I would be very excited for the Colts to sign him. I think he has all the qualities of a star-in-the-making.

If people can get excited about Donte Moncrief then I don't see why they can't get as excited about a player like Carter. I know the CLF is not the NFL, but nor is it on the same level as college. I would be very excited for the Colts to sign him. I think he has all the qualities of a star-in-the-making.

Nicely put

Because Donte Moncrief didn't have a history of substance abuse issues and academic ineligibility issues. Moncrief wasn't suspended from one big university, then when trying to get from junior college back to D1 at Alabama, declared academically ineligible again and suspended. Moncrief didn't leave Alabama without playing a single game to go to Florida Atlantic, where he was again not allowed to play. Donte Moncrief didn't find himself in the CFL for two years because of a noted lack of work ethic and lack of personal responsibility. Moncrief's HOF father didn't tell reporter that 'he hates school.'

There's no question that Duron Carter is talented. But players who take his path to the NFL don't last very long. Look at Josh Gordon. Look at Da'Rick Rogers.

I've said all along that I'm fine with bringing him in, but getting excited about him as if he's going to be a lock to play a major role for our team -- or any team, really -- would be way premature at this point. The odds are actually against him. So no, I'm not excited about him. Bring him on, work with him, get him in the coaches' hands, let him sit with Reggie and Luck and go to work. But that's all about just taking a chance.

Another consideration in that comparison is Montcrief turned 21 in August and Carter will be 24 in March.

Because Donte Moncrief didn't have a history of substance abuse issues and academic ineligibility issues. Moncrief wasn't suspended from one big university, then when trying to get from junior college back to D1 at Alabama, declared academically ineligible again and suspended. Moncrief didn't leave Alabama without playing a single game to go to Florida Atlantic, where he was again not allowed to play. Donte Moncrief didn't find himself in the CFL for two years because of a noted lack of work ethic and lack of personal responsibility. Moncrief's HOF father didn't tell reporter that 'he hates school.'

There's no question that Duron Carter is talented. But players who take his path to the NFL don't last very long. Look at Josh Gordon. Look at Da'Rick Rogers.

I've said all along that I'm fine with bringing him in, but getting excited about him as if he's going to be a lock to play a major role for our team -- or any team, really -- would be way premature at this point. The odds are actually against him. So no, I'm not excited about him. Bring him on, work with him, get him in the coaches' hands, let him sit with Reggie and Luck and go to work. But that's all about just taking a chance.

As far as I'm aware, Carter didn't have a substance abuse issues either? Or were you referring to Rogers?

As far as I'm aware, Carter didn't have a substance abuse issues either? Or were you referring to Rogers?

I was talking about Carter. Maybe I shouldn't state it so matter of factly, but many believe the suspensions at Ohio State and Alabama were drug related. 

I do not think so but I could be wrong

I believe it was immaturity and playing in the shadow of Dad

There was nothing officially reported. He was suspended for "undisclosed reasons" both times. It's a persistent rumor, and it could be only because his dad had drug issues. 

But his track record is blemished, regardless. 

There was nothing officially reported. He was suspended for "undisclosed reasons" both times. It's a persistent rumor, and it could be only because his dad had drug issues.

But his track record is blemished, regardless.

I'm sorry but this picture that you have painted yourself that mostly every player in this league doesn't do drugs or hasn't done drugs is wrong. I can almost guarantee you, especially with younger players, that the number of drugs users in college outweigh the non drugs users by far.

I'm sorry but this picture that you have painted yourself that mostly every player in this league doesn't do drugs or hasn't done drugs is wrong. I can almost guarantee you, especially with younger players, that the number of drugs users in college outweigh the non drugs users by far.

I've painted no such picture.

I live in Canada actually about an hour and a half away from Montreal where Carter played in the CFL not CLF.  I have seen him play live.  He had no issues on or off the field in the CFL at least none that were news worthy.  Dude is fast and has good hands something our current receivers need to work on.  He wont get big money so give him a shot we dont have a lot to lose and everything to gain considering we will need receivers come next season. 

Most guaranteed money is most likely what he's looking for.  Another post on rotoworld indicated that he's looking for a $100,000 signing bonus. . . that is a lot for a UDFA coming out of the CFL.

100k is about right for him  he play cfl 2 years. was their top wr .

Well, it all comes down to how good Carter thinks he is and what he is looking for.

If he is just looking for a high-paying NFL job, then go to the Vikings.

If he thinks he is good enough to play for the Colts as a #2 or #3, then sign with the Colts and play with Andrew.

So the agent is just setting up a bidding war trying to get the most $$$.

The Colts are definitely in need of a WR or two...Reggie should definitely hang 'em up...Nicks should definitely be cut.

I think Reggie should come back if he feels like he can -- he was playing very well before his arm injury this year.  I'd be happy to bring Nicks back as a #3/4 as long as he doesn't demand too much.  I cannot imagine Carter being able to break the bank, he's got a pretty thick history of character issues and he hasn't shown he can do anything in the NFL.  I could see him going to the Vikings just b/c his old man played there but if I were him the Colts would be my pick simply due to our QB situation.

I want us to sign Carter plus draft Green Beckham. One, and most likely both are going to be beast wide outs. We would be stacked at WR. Hilton, Moncrief, Green Beckham, Carter, and Whalen.

Moncrief, Green Beckham, and Carter are all pretty unproven in the NFL and Whalen is a 3 year practice squad/emergency option.  Moncrief has shown some flashes, but at this point I don't think we can crown him to be the next great WR, Carter has had plenty of work-ethic issues and have never played in the NFL, and Green-Beckham has his own off-field troubles and at this point is nothing more than a young guy with potential.

WR is definitely an area of concern for us.  TY has been very good, but the Pats showed he can be taken away if he doesn't have another WR to help draw attention away from him.  I'll trust the coaches to determine how they think Moncrief can develop -- he certainly looked to improve throughout the season and hopefully can continue in the offseason, but I'd be fairly uncomfortable going into the season with him as a sure shot as the #2 WR, especially if we don't have anyone else proven behind him.

Duron Carter great #2 .

If he was really that great,  don't you think every single team in the NFL would be going after him?    After all,  he's a free agent.   All he costs a team is money and not draft picks.

And yet,   there are only a small number of teams going after Carter.     Not all teams.

At this point,  if he's a good #4 or maybe even a good #3,  everyone should be thrilled.    The chances that he comes and becomes a great #2 -- at least in his first year or two -- are not very high....

mo8OtbE.jpg

I wish I watched Archer, because I don't get it.

But just to clarify, I'm not dogging Carter, and I'm not pretending that no one in the NFL does drugs. That would be naive. I'm simply answering the question about why people are excited about Moncrief, but more reserved on Carter. And it's because one has a checkered past (the potential substance abuse is actually not the biggest concern, IMO), while the other does not.

Exactly! Gordon and Rogers both possess the physical tools to be very good NFL players, but it doesn't matter if they can't keep themselves on the field because they screw up away from the field.  Heck, Purifoy, Brazzill and others we have seen in Colts' uniform recently have NFL quality skills, but it doesn't matter if they can't abide by the rules to stay in the NFL.

Carter, it sounds like, may have matured a bit in the CFL, but to take his numbers/highlights from the CFL and suggest he is going to be an NFL star is very premature.  Not for nothing, but Carter was 11th in the CFL this past season in receiving yards -- hardly something to get too excited about.  Yes, he has great size and looks to be athletic, but you are correct, Superman -- he is nothing more than a big ball of potential at this point in time.  I would be happy to see him be brought in for a try, but I sure hope Grigs and Co. are smart enough not to consider him a sure-shot fix at WR.

IMO, the same is true for guys like Green-Beckham and any others in the draft that have a lot of physical potential with a history of screwing up.  I think it's important to remember most of these players are still kids or very young men, so I'm all for giving them a second chance, but to hang your hat on them being the sure-shot solution before figuring out if they can keep themselves clean when they start earning a big paycheck is very premature.

If he was really that great,  don't you think every single team in the NFL would be going after him?    After all,  he's a free agent.   All he costs a team is money and not draft picks.

And yet,   there are only a small number of teams going after Carter.     Not all teams.

At this point,  if he's a good #4 or maybe even a good #3,  everyone should be thrilled.    The chances that he comes and becomes a great #2 -- at least in his first year or two -- are not very high....

Agreed -- statistically, he wasn't even a top 10 WR in the CFL last year.  He has good size and decent speed (~4.6).  He was ranked by NFL Draft Scout as the #100 WR coming out of college before he went to CFL (possibly in part due to his off-field issues, which resulted in a lack of being on the field). 

I'm all for signing him for cheap, but nowhere near ready to consider this guy the solution for our team at WR.

But just to clarify, I'm not dogging Carter, and I'm not pretending that no one in the NFL does drugs. That would be naive. I'm simply answering the question about why people are excited about Moncrief, but more reserved on Carter. And it's because one has a checkered past (the potential substance abuse is actually not the biggest concern, IMO), while the other does not.

Archer? I believe that is a pic of Superman superimposed on someone painting a picture.

Agreed -- statistically, he wasn't even a top 10 WR in the CFL last year.  He has good size and decent speed (~4.6).  He was ranked by NFL Draft Scout as the #100 WR coming out of college before he went to CFL (possibly in part due to his off-field issues, which resulted in a lack of being on the field). 

I'm all for signing him for cheap, but nowhere near ready to consider this guy the solution for our team at WR.

2014 CFL All-Stars  duron Carter 

TORONTO – The Canadian Football league unveiled the 2014 CFL All-Stars today.

The All-Stars were selected by the Football Reporters of Canada (FRC) and the league’s head coaches. This is the 52nd year in which the CFL has recognized the season’s best as All-Stars.

In total, 62 voters selected the 26 All-Stars.

duron carter   1k  yards receiving 2014  rank 3rd  top wr .

haha it's not a Archer reference. It was Superman painting a picture. I have too much time on my hands lol