Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Football talk

Superman

Even though the right side of the OL leaked early, the left side held and Luck moved within the pocket with his eyes downfield. He had plenty of time by NFL standards due to his pocket presence. What was lacking was receivers gaining separation. What was key there was that the OC never made adjustments to help the receivers gain separation. No half time adjustments that I could put my finger on. Belichick had Edelmann do all kinds of things with motion, etc. to get him open. Did we do anything similar with TY? I think not!

He had time, which I mentioned, but he was under a LOT of pressure (half of his dropbacks), and so couldn't deliver carefully placed passes. Your point about separation is pretty much what I was saying. The receivers couldn't shake loose, and maybe they would have if Luck wasn't under pressure as often as he was. This was a game where we needed the offensive line to completely shut down the pass rush.

And yeah, they could have done some different things to get guys open quickly, and I think they tried in the second half, but with no success. Three and out, and the Pats went down field for TDs. The pick to Revis is an example of one of those cross plays that should have worked, but Revis had it pegged, and Luck floated the ball. He got tricked by the best corner in the game.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sign Terrance Knighton and play more 4 man fronts, IMO. The problem is the LBs were so far off the line of scrimmage, 4-2-5 is not the way to go against a team that wants to run. You can't be in no man's land if you are playing behind a 4 man front as an LB. You have an assigned gap, you need to hit it quick and hard, not after the OL has gathered a few steps of steam. In 2009, when the Colts did well against the run, even that 4th & goal stop vs the Saints in the SB, we had 2 NTs playing the NT and UT. Heck, we had Bullitt and Bethea as safeties, by no means top of the world safeties, but our 2 NTs up front got that stalemate so hard and were hard to move. Gosh, I forget their names - Antonio Johnson and someone else. We could have used that in a game like yesterday. 

Our LBs Freeman and DQwell Jackson fit the 4-3, IMO and Werner played OLB in a 4-3 at Florida State, he can be the strong side backer and Freeman the weak side. Let Mathis and Walden be the 4-3 DEs with Newsome and Cam Johnson rotating. RJF and/or Redding can play UTs.

Unless we stop the run, we waste the advantage we have with our man CBs. Just my two cents.

He had time, which I mentioned, but he was under a LOT of pressure (half of his dropbacks), and so couldn't deliver carefully placed passes. Your point about separation is pretty much what I was saying. The receivers couldn't shake loose, and maybe they would have if Luck wasn't under pressure as often as he was. This was a game where we needed the offensive line to completely shut down the pass rush.

And yeah, they could have done some different things to get guys open quickly, and I think they tried in the second half, but with no success. Three and out, and the Pats went down field for TDs. The pick to Revis is an example of one of those cross plays that should have worked, but Revis had it pegged, and Luck floated the ball. He got tricked by the best corner in the game.

I just don't buy it. There were numerous plays where Luck stood there and stood there and stood there and stood there and nothing came open. Maybe he was blind. I don't think so. From the videos, no one came open. I saw it. I felt it.

I just don't buy it. There were numerous plays where Luck stood there and stood there and stood there and stood there and nothing came open. Maybe he was blind. I don't think so. From the videos, no one came open. I saw it. I felt it.

Nah, I don't think he stood there and stood there and stood there. Maybe once. I think he had good initial protection, but we needed a little bit more. Specifically because we were going up against a very formidable secondary.

This is turning into a "how do we beat the Pats" kind of discussion. That's for another thread. In general, the offensive line still needs a lot of work. That's what the point was.

The problem is the LBs were so far off the line of scrimmage, 4-2-5 is not the way to go against a team that wants to run. You can't be in no man's land if you are playing behind a 4 man front as an LB. You have an assigned gap, you need to hit it quick and hard, not after the OL has gathered a few steps of steam. I

I don't think that's what the problem was at all.

The Pats took their motion blocker and used him as a wham blocker against our linemen, freeing their guards up to go to the LBs. Same thing with their pulls. It doesn't matter what front you run, you have to blow up that wham/pull and slow down the RB right away. As a matter of fact, I think going to a smaller front would play right into the hands of that kind of blocking scheme.

And in general, the front holds up fine against the run. It's this double strong with motion blockers and pulls and whams and whatnot that slowly rips us in two, that's all about technique, not scheme. And tackling. 

I'm not partial to either 3 man fronts or 4 man fronts. We still run plenty of both, including last night. I think both have their advantages and disadvantages. I just don't think it's a scheme issue. I think it's an execution and player talent issue. But I'm fine with signing Knighton. I wanted him two years ago. Seems like he wants to stay in Denver, though.

I posted this in another thread but it seemed more appropriate here.

To me, it seems kind of obvious what changes need to be made.  All season long the middle of the D was exploited in both the passing game and running game.  I like Chapman, Kerr and Hughes but they need experience.  So they need to address the ILB position and the safety position.  I've been impressed with Adams all season but he was outplayed by Landry yesterday and Landry did not play that well.  Freeman had two good games against Cincy and Denver but really struggled against the Pats, his problem is definitely not athleticism, I think it's more mental, he just doesn't seem to be able to process things fast enough to deal with an offense that gives you as many different looks as the Pats did.  DQ is solid but is a bit long in the tooth.  He was a good stop gap for this year but should not be counted on moving forward.

On offense, I think the Colts are pretty much set.  I'm one of the few that likes Thornton.  I think if he gets his conditioning he will be a top guard.  Mewhort was an excellent pick and I think Holmes showed that he is the center of the future and will be a good one.  So that leaves a RT.  If Cherilus comes back healthy then I think they take the mewhort approach and draft a guy that can fill in if GC gets hurt in 2015 or have a year to get acclimated and then move into the starting role in 2016. Get a RB (I think if they could get Coleman in the 2nd round that would be a good start) that can be relied upon to carry the ball 15-20 times a game, get a OC that will commit to running the ball consistently and get an oline coach in there that design some scheme to get lineman in better position on run blocking.

What has Nicks done to deserve another year? I was giving him a little bit of leeway before today, but that drop gave me all I needed to be willing to move on. 

I think there are a ton of pro ready receivers who can round out our receiver corps. I'd take one of a dozen rookies over Nicks.

And this point that you're making is kind of why I said the whole thing about us drafting a receiver. Yes, we need young defensive playmakers. I'm sure we'll draft some of those. We also need a receiver. Maybe we don't draft one, but I think we should. If we do that and sign a vet -- I'd hold my nose and put up with Nicks, but I think we can do better -- I'm fine.

Nicks has played good the 2 months of the season.  If Reggie wasn't in there and he got more snaps then it would be a little different.  Not saying we couldn't find any1 better, but they will have to play catchup (as a new guy) and normally will want alot more$ than what Hakeem will get.  Unless we draft a WR, but we have bigger needs.  If we could get Nicks for 4 years/ 18-20 Million that would be great!  I say let him walk if he wants too much money tho.

Nicks has played good the 2 months of the season.  If Reggie wasn't in there and he got more snaps then it would be a little different.  Not saying we couldn't find any1 better, but they will have to play catchup (as a new guy) and normally will want alot more$ than what Hakeem will get.  Unless we draft a WR, but we have bigger needs.  If we could get Nicks for 4 years/ 18-20 Million that would be great!  I say let him walk if he wants too much money tho.

To me, that's too much money. Far too much money.

Andrew has to have receivers who can get themselves open so signing Nicks would be a BRAINDEAD move. Good grief!

With any pressure Andrew just picks a guy and throws it usually high, when there are guys one slot over who have better positioning on their defender.

Chuck complimented Andrew before this game on his improved decision making this season but he clearly is still quite lacking. Still good for a 3rd year player.

Looks like it will be a couple more seasons for him to think faster. JMO

I'm puzzled by the playcalling (stop me if you've heard this before). NE played a single high safety and stacked the box almost all night, but I noticed we weren't trying to make them pay for this. I was surprised nothing was getting open downfield, and then I started to notice our routes weren't sending multiple receivers deep to challenge the single safety. 

Somehow NE managed to keep all of our receivers in front of them, despite only dropping one safety back. How can this be? With our passing game? 

Was this just weather related, or was it something else? 

Sign Terrance Knighton and play more 4 man fronts, IMO. The problem is the LBs were so far off the line of scrimmage, 4-2-5 is not the way to go against a team that wants to run. You can't be in no man's land if you are playing behind a 4 man front as an LB. You have an assigned gap, you need to hit it quick and hard, not after the OL has gathered a few steps of steam. In 2009, when the Colts did well against the run, even that 4th & goal stop vs the Saints in the SB, we had 2 NTs playing the NT and UT. Heck, we had Bullitt and Bethea as safeties, by no means top of the world safeties, but our 2 NTs up front got that stalemate so hard and were hard to move. Gosh, I forget their names - Antonio Johnson and someone else. We could have used that in a game like yesterday. 

Our LBs Freeman and DQwell Jackson fit the 4-3, IMO and Werner played OLB in a 4-3 at Florida State, he can be the strong side backer and Freeman the weak side. Let Mathis and Walden be the 4-3 DEs with Newsome and Cam Johnson rotating. RJF and/or Redding can play UTs.

Unless we stop the run, we waste the advantage we have with our man CBs. Just my two cents.

Yup, and Art Jones is probably big enough to rotate at NT.

I'm puzzled by the playcalling (stop me if you've heard this before). NE played a single high safety and stacked the box almost all night, but I noticed we weren't trying to make them pay for this. I was surprised nothing was getting open downfield, and then I started to notice our routes weren't sending multiple receivers deep to challenge the single safety. 

Somehow NE managed to keep all of our receivers in front of them, despite only dropping one safety back. How can this be? With our passing game? 

Was this just weather related, or was it something else?

I don't think our WRs are good enough to get separation one on one (against Revis), and TY's not good ehough to beat the double team.

I posted this in another thread but it seemed more appropriate here.

To me, it seems kind of obvious what changes need to be made.  All season long the middle of the D was exploited in both the passing game and running game.  I like Chapman, Kerr and Hughes but they need experience.  So they need to address the ILB position and the safety position.  I've been impressed with Adams all season but he was outplayed by Landry yesterday and Landry did not play that well.  Freeman had two good games against Cincy and Denver but really struggled against the Pats, his problem is definitely not athleticism, I think it's more mental, he just doesn't seem to be able to process things fast enough to deal with an offense that gives you as many different looks as the Pats did.  DQ is solid but is a bit long in the tooth.  He was a good stop gap for this year but should not be counted on moving forward.

On offense, I think the Colts are pretty much set.  I'm one of the few that likes Thornton.  I think if he gets his conditioning he will be a top guard.  Mewhort was an excellent pick and I think Holmes showed that he is the center of the future and will be a good one.  So that leaves a RT.  If Cherilus comes back healthy then I think they take the mewhort approach and draft a guy that can fill in if GC gets hurt in 2015 or have a year to get acclimated and then move into the starting role in 2016. Get a RB (I think if they could get Coleman in the 2nd round that would be a good start) that can be relied upon to carry the ball 15-20 times a game, get a OC that will commit to running the ball consistently and get an oline coach in there that design some scheme to get lineman in better position on run blocking.

You really think our OL doesn't need that much work?  Thornton is a solid backup, but should not be our starter.  Holmes should be our future guy, but wasn't this season to find that out, and we didn't give him a chance, til the end?  It's crap how we do the plug in play garbage.  The first week Holmes was healthy we should've benched Shipley, the Harrison experiment was a waste of time. 

We need to just spend money on a Pro Bowl RG and be done with that issue.

If Cherilus doesn't look like he will be back to his self in the pre season, we need to immediately dump him (cut our losses) and go after an elite RT before the season starts.  I say give him a chance though.  I would say if he doesn't look great in pre season, set up a deal for him and a future 2-3 round pick for a young proven RT.

I realize our defense has big needs too, but I also have a philosophy that if the OL and offense is dominating a game the defense isn't on the field and isn't as big of a liability.  That's why we were able to win a SB with Manning, eventhough the defense wasn't too good. 

Our defense is too inconsistent though.  I think Landry isn't the best but isn't as bad as everybody makes him out to be.  Him and Adams deserve another year, with Sergio filling in when necessary.  We need to draft or pick up a FA pass rusher that WILL get 10+ sacks this year (the draft probably isn't going to do that for us).  Then a coverage LB is also a big need.  I think that can be done in the draft though.

IMO this is how our offseason should go:

FA-RG & OLB (Don't be afraid to spend some money)

Draft- 1.  ILB  2.  RT  3. DT  4.  Safety  5.  OLB OR WR (I would prefer to let Reggie walk and resign Nicks to solve this issue)

I wouldn't be opposed of trading off a player and pick to upgrade in the draft either.  RT RG ILB (coverage) or OLB (pass rusher)

I also realize we need to be better stopping the power run game, that's why we need to get another big beast to put beside Jones.

Chapman is supposed to be an anchor. I agree that his technique can improve, but I don't think he's going to develop into a significantly better player. I'm okay with that, by the way. He averaged 24 snaps/game this season. He's a rotational role player. No panic at all. But he's no Jamal Williams.

I do think Jones can be better than he was this year. Between the injury and a constantly changing role for him, I don't think we've seen his best. But he's not the disruptive, shoot up the field and make plays kind of guy that would do a lot to transform our defensive front. 

In terms of Chapman, yes definitely technique can improve which will help make him a better player, but they could also re-evaluate his strength and conditioning regimens.  At times, he's shown more athleticism than I ever thought he had, and maybe/hopefully they can help work with him on his conditioning and perhaps losing some weight to allow him to gain some more strength and better cardiovascular conditioning while hopefully not losing any strength.  That, along with continuing to work on improving his technique could turn him into a significantly better player.  Of course it's all on him to do all of these things and we'll have to wait and see if any of this happens.  And the same things could be said about Hughes. 

To me, that's too much money. Far too much money.

I think it's a risky move but feel if he is give a bigger role (assuming Reggie is done) and Mocrief and Nicks are competing for majority snaps, they both would thrive in that environment.  Especially since Moncrief is so young and needs a mentor.  Hakeem wasn't included that much and kept a great attitude the whole time.  That speaks alot about him in my mind!

It just feels as though we have too many positions to improve.  Going into our 4th year, I feel like we shouldn't be saying that we have to fix the entire middle of the defense and offensive line to the extent we do.  I mean, with all that we need, unless we basically hit on every free agent sign and draft pick, we're looking at two more offseasons.  Landry has been terrible, Adams is getting older, ILB, Chapman has had hsi moments but isn't the anchor we need in the middle of the line, and Redding is also getting older.  Then we have the center and right side of the OL and in need of another WR to round out the offense. 

Maybe I'm expecting too much out of the Colts FO, but I still feel as though we should be closer than where we are, but this loss was an embarrassment.  To me, if I had to prioritize, I'd start with the big uglies.  we just haven't done well, generally speaking with putting together a solid reliable OL/DL.

Getting two players from the first round of the past two drafts that contribute like first rounders would have helped the progress.

I don't think our WRs are good enough to get separation one on one (against Revis), and TY's not good ehough to beat the double team.

...and what of Fleener and Allen? We have a very talented stock of ball catchers, but they weren't getting open. I suspect the routes and play calls to be a primary culprit. We got out-coached more than we got out-played. NE used the weather to their advantage, and we acted as if we had no clue how to use the weather to our advantage. 

I think it's a risky move but feel if he is give a bigger role (assuming Reggie is done) and Mocrief and Nicks are competing for majority snaps, they both would thrive in that environment.  Especially since Moncrief is so young and needs a mentor.  Hakeem wasn't included that much and kept a great attitude the whole time.  That speaks alot about him in my mind!

It's not risky. It's crazy. He's not worth a multi-year deal, and certainly not at $4.5 - 5m / year. I don't know if you've paid any attention to the market, but it doesn't support that kind of price tag for him. I'd rather have Cecil Shorts for that kind of money.

Great guy, he's done everything they've asked him to do, never complained despite not having a huge role. But the production just isn't there, so there's no reason to pay him like the production is there. I feel like WR is an easy issue to solve. There are a bunch of FAs, and a bunch of guys in the draft who can play right away. 

I'd re-sign Nicks for one year, $2m, at most. He'll get a better offer from someone else, and will take it. 

You really think our OL doesn't need that much work?  Thornton is a solid backup, but should not be our starter.  Holmes should be our future guy, but wasn't this season to find that out, and we didn't give him a chance, til the end?  It's crap how we do the plug in play garbage.  The first week Holmes was healthy we should've benched Shipley, the Harrison experiment was a waste of time. 

We need to just spend money on a Pro Bowl RG and be done with that issue.

The only guard I would want the Colts to go after is Iupati.  But I don't think he will be available come free agency.  But yes, I think Thornton could become a very good guard.  He has everything you look for in that position...  He's super quick off the snap, good functional strength, excellent footwork and keeps his head on a swivel.

I think he looked bad at times because;  Harrison was not a good center and I don't think most fans realize how much bad center play can effect the guard play, two, I think Thornton has horrible conditioning.  When he'd get tired is when you would see him leaning too far, not moving his feet once engaged, not keeping his knees properly bent, etc.  And IMO conditioning is one of the easiest things to improve.  Now he may show (or has shown) that he is not dedicated enough to work on his conditioning and if that is the case then he won't improve significantly.  But I'm willing to give him two more offseasons in the Colts conditioning program to improve.

...and what of Fleener and Allen? We have a very talented stock of ball catchers, but they weren't getting open. I suspect the routes and play calls to be a primary culprit. We got out-coached more than we got out-played. NE used the weather to their advantage, and we acted as if we had no clue how to use the weather to our advantage.

Well, other than TY, the WRs are average. Fleener runs hot and cold, and I don't think Allen ever gets much separation one on one, I think his game is about making tough catches. Andrew's not going to risk the pick.

We don't have a shifty receiver like Edelmann who can do the long handoff passing game and get YAC. That's what the Pats did.

Well, other than TY, the WRs are average. Fleener runs hot and cold, and I don't think Allen ever gets much separation one on one, I think his game is about making tough catches. Andrew's not going to risk the pick.

We don't have a shifty receiver like Edelmann who can do the long handoff passing game and get YAC. That's what the Pats did.

Yet, our receivers were capable of fostering the league's best passing attack for the first half of the season. A decrepit Reggie Wayne is seen by me as a primary culprit to our ineffectiveness. He played his last game as a Colt, I am sure of that. 

Yet, our receivers were capable of fostering the league's best passing attack for the first half of the season. A decrepit Reggie Wayne is seen by me as a primary culprit to our ineffectiveness. He played his last game as a Colt, I am sure of that.

Which is sad but probably true.

I don't disagree with your assessment of the play calling. I'm also saying that having that shifty YAC guy on the roster is something the Colts have been missing for a long time...like years.

Reggie played 21 snaps last night, so he wasn't really the problem.

The only guard I would want the Colts to go after is Iupati.  But I don't think he will be available come free agency.  But yes, I think Thornton could become a very good guard.  He has everything you look for in that position...  He's super quick off the snap, good functional strength, excellent footwork and keeps his head on a swivel.

I think he looked bad at times because;  Harrison was not a good center and I don't think most fans realize how much bad center play can effect the guard play, two, I think Thornton has horrible conditioning.  When he'd get tired is when you would see him leaning too far, not moving his feet once engaged, not keeping his knees properly bent, etc.  And IMO conditioning is one of the easiest things to improve.  Now he may show (or has shown) that he is not dedicated enough to work on his conditioning and if that is the case then he won't improve significantly.  But I'm willing to give him two more offseasons in the Colts conditioning program to improve.

How do you know he was tired? How do you know it wasn't just sloppy and inconsistent mechanics?

Wayne has been a "problem" throughout the entire season, especially since he injured himself again. 

Thought you were talking about last night. Never mind, then, we agree.

By the way, his TD in the first Titans game was incredible. I was thinking he'd be able to play well all year long after I saw that. Fooled me...

It wasn't as dramatic as last year, but once again Luck's numbers dropped after Reggie's injury.  His completion percentage plummeted.  If Reggie is finished, they need to add a prototypical possession receiver to the mix, especially for 3rd down.  Think Edelman last night. 

All of it.  Whalen is not the answer and cribbs was acquired in week 11.  He messed up what, twice?  I dont think he is a problem.

I guess if you only think Cribbs messed up twice, then you'd disagree. In reality, Cribbs had about 10 mess-ups since he came on. Several misplayed balls, several kick returns that shouldn't have been brought out, a bunch of times he should have gone with a fair catch... 

This place can be a dumpster after a big loss like this. I'm as irritated as anyone else, but I come here to talk football, not put up with melodrama.

So this thread is for people who want to talk football. Not for "fire XYZ," not for "this player is trash and needs to go," not for "we're wasting Luck's career"...

My thoughts:

1) We're too light in the pants to hold up to New England's power run game, especially when they go double strong. We do a poor job of anchoring the line, the backers get washed out and can't make tackles, and then the back end gets worn down. It starts up front. Until we can control the line and make stops at first contact, we won't be consistent against the run.

2) Our pass defense is terrible in the middle of the field. The Pats played off of that with the crossing patterns, knowing we'd fall back to protect the middle. All that short stuff outside is a function of not being able to cover the middle. We have to get better in the middle. DJackson has his strengths, but pass coverage isn't one of them. Landry really doesn't have any strengths. These first two points add up to the conclusion that we have to get better up the middle of the field. Sadly, that was the problem last season. We were slightly better at times this year, but not really.

3) The offensive line is a mess, from center to right tackle. Until the line can bully defenses in the ground game and consistently protect Luck the offense will have its struggles. We have to do something at RG and RT. And I think if there's any coaching spot that requires close scrutiny and probably a change, it's the line coach.

4) Throughout the offseason, we expected the receiving corps to be a strength. Nicks didn't pay off; Reggie got hurt; two of the most promising young guys blew their chances. It's just Hilton and Moncrief. Our receivers combined for two catches in the biggest game of the year. If this is it for Reggie, he sadly goes out with a pitiable whimper. We need to get better and deeper at receiver. I know people are going to raise a fuss when we draft a receiver this year. Please don't. It's a huge need.

5) I have been torn on whether to prioritize Fleener or Allen. We need both. Re-sign them. That position is a strength of this team.

6) Cribbs has to go. This game shows why we had Whalen returning earlier this year. He got pulled off the job after he started getting careless. We need a responsible weapon at returner.

7) We still have a great situation at QB. Luck took some serious steps forward this season, and is clearly the bedrock upon which this team will be built.

8) The corners are another strength. With better safety/ILB play, and a better pass rush, they will be dominant in 2015.

9) This team is still on its way up. This result sucks, but again, perspective. If the team attacks hard and gets its weaknesses shored up -- we have cap space, we have a full complement of draft picks, and we have a destination for free agents -- we can climb another rung on the ladder. We had an ideal path to the AFCCG this year. Go hard, and we can be favorites for a spot in this game next season, and be just as strong a candidate as any other AFC team to go to the Super Bowl.

GO COLTS!!!

Mathis was missed and I thought letting Whalen go was a mistake.

I'm fine with Cribbs on KR. Dude should not be fielding punts though. 

So who returns punts? I know some starting WRs do it, but it's just a risk I don't like. And if send a guy out there and he fair catches virtually every time so he doesn't get hurt, teams stop respecting the return threat, they kick it longer, and it costs you field position. I don't trust a guy like Moncrief to field punts regularly.

I'm okay with Cribbs on KR also, but you can't use an extra roster spot for a KR. Ideally, one guy does both.

I guess if you only think Cribbs messed up twice, then you'd disagree. In reality, Cribbs had about 10 mess-ups since he came on. Several misplayed balls, several kick returns that shouldn't have been brought out, a bunch of times he should have gone with a fair catch... 

More often than not he got passed the 20 when returning a kickoff.  Im talking about fumbles as mess ups.  He could have called more fair catches, but thats whatever. 

More often than not he got passed the 20 when returning a kickoff.  Im talking about fumbles as mess ups.  He could have called more fair catches, but thats whatever. 

It's not whatever, it's recklessness, without a significant payoff. He provided a spark at first, but he got more careless each week. No thanks. We can find someone else.