Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LOVE this, New Veteran Combine in March

Girlzarefanstoo

I like the idea.  I hope they come up with some creative ways to let the players showcase what they have learned, how they have improved, etc .... The standard combine type drills do not seem like they would show teams much of anything they did not already know. 

I know it won't happen, but I think it would be very interesting to see some sort of scrimmage between practice squad players and FA's.  Each team could provide a list of practice squad players they would allow to compete and a coach would put together a team from that list.  Everyone (teams, practice squad players, and free agents) could potentially benefit from something like this.

I wonder what they do if someone is injured here

Interesting question, Mark. A player hoping to get in the game would likely be willing to risk injury to do so.  But perhaps they require/offer insurance?  You could probably do a short term policy for very little cost and either the player purchase or the NFL for the week of the combine.  

I'd go out on a limb and say that if they injure themselves in a controlled setting like this, they are likely to get injured on the field anyway.

Agreed... but like Girl-fan says...there needs to be a limkitred form of insurance to get them a settlement

..Otherwise..why risk it? wait till training camp

That's the point. This is for guys who otherwise wouldn't get camp invites. I bet TO will be there.

Could be.....you might see retired guys who sat out a year and want to come back..

..but guys aren't going to go there on their own 'dime' and risk getting hurt.

There has to be some compensation ..at least an 'invitation only weekend stipend...Each team could ship in and bankroll it

Then it wont work because lesser candidates will show up....wait till camp and try your luck...

I disagree I think a lot of guys will show up because they get to be seen by all the teams; where as if they opt to just go to a team training camp they are putting all their eggs in one basket. IMO most of these guys will risk injury for a chance to make a roster.