Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Is Everyone So Caught Up On Luck?

I dont understand how people can say Luck is a better prospect than RG3. I just dont see it to me hes the most NFL ready but RG3 has a higher ceiling. His running ability his deep ball accuracy is ridiculous and he would benefit a lot more sitting behind Peyton than Luck will.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont understand how people can say Luck is a better prospect than RG3. I just dont see it to me hes the most NFL ready but RG3 has a higher ceiling. His running ability his deep ball accuracy is ridiculous and he would benefit a lot more sitting behind Peyton than Luck will.

^^^^^^^this

I pulled up the QB's selected #1 since 1970 and are listed here-

QB #1

1970 Terry Bradshaw Quarterback Louisiana Tech Pittsburgh Steelers (HOF) 4SB

1971 Jim Plunkett Quarterback Stanford New England Patriots 2SB

1975 Steve Bartkowski Quarterback California Atlanta Falcons (PB)

1983 John Elway Quarterback Stanford Baltimore Colts (traded to Denver Broncos) (HOF) 2SB

1987 Vinny Testaverde Quarterback Miami (FL) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (PB)

1989 Troy Aikman Quarterback UCLA Dallas Cowboys (HOF) 3SB

1990 Jeff George*** Quarterback Illinois Indianapolis Colts

1993 Drew Bledsoe Quarterback Washington State University New England Patriots (PB) SB backup on Pats, lost one as starter

1998 Peyton Manning Quarterback Tennessee Indianapolis Colts (PB) (2B HOF) SB

1999 Tim Couch Quarterback Kentucky Cleveland Browns

2001 Michael Vick Quarterback Virginia Tech Atlanta Falcons (PB)

2002 David Carr Quarterback Fresno State Houston Texans

2003 Carson Palmer Quarterback USC Cincinnati Bengals (PB)

2004 Eli Manning Quarterback Ole Miss San Diego Chargers (traded to the New York Giants) (PB) SB

2005 Alex Smith Quarterback Utah San Francisco 49ers (nearly ruined him David Carr style)

2007 JaMarcus Russell Quarterback LSU Oakland Raiders BUST!!

2009 Matthew Stafford Quarterback Georgia Detroit Lions too soon to tell

2010 Sam Bradford Quarterback Oklahoma St. Louis Rams too soon to tell

2011 Cam Newton Quarterback Auburn Carolina Panthers too soon to tell

QB Round 1

1st round 1st pick, 19, 3 too early to tell.

4 of 16 HOF (minumum, could go up)

10 of the 16 were/are pro bowl caliber,

1 of the remaining six still won 2 SB (Plunkett)

The rush of QB picks has been because of the change in the game recently to a passing league. But this list shows high success with a QB at #1. I feel only George and Russell to be BUST. Couch was mediocre and got Carr'd by the new Browns horrible O-line before Carr suffered the Texans disaster growth curve. Alex Smith almost suffered the Couch/Carr syndrome. Only Norv Turner (2006) and Jim Harbaugh rescued his confidence.

Interesting is the two Stanford QB's each have won 2 SB's. One a Pro Bowler and HOF. The other is the only eligible QB with 2 SB wins not in the HOF. But Plunkett did usher in wide open pro style passing into the Pac 8, and it continues to this day.

Looks like a lot of attention is paid by teams when one is going QB at #1, and the level of success in return was higher than I thought.

Sorry, but this is kind of a dumb argument...

I know you did some work looking this up, but what else did you expect to find? Of course most #1 overall picks are going to be successful.

Sorry, but this is kind of a dumb argument...

I know you did some work looking this up, but what else did you expect to find? Of course most #1 overall picks are going to be successful.

There's more. I have compiled it, but I haven't had time to sift through the data (how the other QB's taken in Rd 1 fared vs. the #1 pick, and also those taken in later rounds) and come up with a conclusion yet.

Plus, it show previous history of taking a QB #1 has much higher success rate than bust rate.

Robert Griffin III has thrown for 10071 yards with 77 TDS and 17 ints

Andrew Luck has thrown for 9083 yards 80 TDS and 21 ints

As a Longhorns fan, I am familiar with RG3.... but I am not sold that he could be a successful NFL-caliber QB. Stanford runs a pro-style offense. RG3 has a tendency to scramble, which is good.... don't get me wrong. But look at Vick... he scrambles and gets broken ribs, so then he scrambles and throws a pick. POCKET PRESENCE is what this league is about nowadays.

Don't get me wrong either-- RG3 is an exceptional athlete.... he just doesn't fit into our style of offense I don't think. I guess I've just been spoiled by 13 years of Peyton Manning, and Luck seems to have similar play style. If we get RG3, I'll root for him of course!

As a Longhorns fan, I am familiar with RG3.... but I am not sold that he could be a successful NFL-caliber QB. Stanford runs a pro-style offense. RG3 has a tendency to scramble, which is good.... don't get me wrong. But look at Vick... he scrambles and gets broken ribs, so then he scrambles and throws a pick. POCKET PRESENCE is what this league is about nowadays.

RG3 doesnt scramble like Vick or Young. He scrambles to buy time. I dont know if where talking about the same guy here. The RG3 I see is one who can shred a defense from the pocket, just as he can escape sacks and then can beat you with his legs or his arm. He is an extremely intelligent kid and a hard worker to boot. He graduated High school early, graduated from uni. in 2.5 years. After Highschool he wanted to go to the olympics...he made it to semis in the olympic trial at 18 years old. Then he wants to play QB at a university level, Freshman All american his first year. Second year he tears his ACL and two years later he is holding the Heisman. Everything he sets his mind to he achieves.

Honestly the only reason I think that Luck is more pro ready is because he got lucky enough to be coached by Jim Harbaugh at a young age. The guy has made Alex Smith look good so he is clearly an excellent coach. Had RG3 got a coach like that he would be as pro ready as Luck is.

Plus as a side note: The offense should be tailor made around your starting QBs and his strengths as a player. We cant expect a young QB to come and succeed in Mannings offense, that is unrealistic. The difference between good and great coaches, is a great coach adapts his game for the QBs strengths while a bad coach forces him to play QB the way he feels it should be played.

Yeah I see what you're saying. If RG3 could get 2 years under Manning, who KNOWS the potential the kid would have.

and thats exactly why if we get the number 1 pick trading down and drafting RG3 would be ideal. Get tons and tons of picks and also get a guy who has a higher potential than luck, but needs to land in the right situation. the colts would be an ideal spot for RG3

RG3 doesnt scramble like Vick or Young. He scrambles to buy time. I dont know if where talking about the same guy here. The RG3 I see is one who can shred a defense from the pocket, just as he can escape sacks and then can beat you with his legs or his arm. He is an extremely intelligent kid and a hard worker to boot. He graduated High school early, graduated from uni. in 2.5 years. After Highschool he wanted to go to the olympics...he made it to semis in the olympic trial at 18 years old. Then he wants to play QB at a university level, Freshman All american his first year. Second year he tears his ACL and two years later he is holding the Heisman. Everything he sets his mind to he achieves.

Honestly the only reason I think that Luck is more pro ready is because he got lucky enough to be coached by Jim Harbaugh at a young age. The guy has made Alex Smith look good so he is clearly an excellent coach. Had RG3 got a coach like that he would be as pro ready as Luck is.

Plus as a side note: The offense should be tailor made around your starting QBs and his strengths as a player. We cant expect a young QB to come and succeed in Mannings offense, that is unrealistic. The difference between good and great coaches, is a great coach adapts his game for the QBs strengths while a bad coach forces him to play QB the way he feels it should be played.

Harbaugh wanted RG3 to go to stanford as part of a two qb system with Luck. RG3 wanted to be number 1

and thats exactly why if we get the number 1 pick trading down and drafting RG3 would be ideal. Get tons and tons of picks and also get a guy who has a higher potential than luck, but needs to land in the right situation. the colts would be an ideal spot for RG3

There are several experts non experts blah blah that would disagree with u that rg3 has better potential. Luck is only going to get better when he gets in the nfl and is already ready for the nfl. There is a reason he's such a hot prospect. He's incredibly smart too. Rg3 will be a good qb in 3-4 years time. Many think luck will be a great qb after a year or two. Time will tell. Hard to prove a point either way right now.

There's more. I have compiled it, but I haven't had time to sift through the data (how the other QB's taken in Rd 1 fared vs. the #1 pick, and also those taken in later rounds) and come up with a conclusion yet.

Plus, it show previous history of taking a QB #1 has much higher success rate than bust rate.

Andrew Luck probably will be a successful NFL quarterback, the problem is, we don't need one!

Like I said in another thread, I bet most people here had never even heard of Griffin before this season. I know people will not admit to that and say "oh, I've watched him forever, blah, blah, blah, rolleyes.gif , but I won't believe them. Heck most of the college football insiders knew very little about the guy before this season. People are too reactionary and fall in love with a guy who had a good yr., but hasn't played at a high level over several seasons. He's the flavor of the month and when he proclaimed himself the heisman winner, then he just told me the guy kind of guy he is and it's not one that I want running my team.

I don't claim to be an expert on analyzing QB talent, but I saw RGiii play and I know he has extraordinary physical gifts. His teammates talk like they back him all the way and would follow him into a blazing fire. I've watched a couple of his TV appearances and he seems to be intelligent and not too cocky. On the downside, I read on one draft sight that Baylor had to really cut the playbook down for him and that he made a lot of his big plays on sheer talent. As far as Luck goes, he's had the benefit of NFL tutelage (Harbaugh) and mat be pretty close to as good as he will ever get. I saw him play a couple of times this year and while he didn't do anything to feel negative about him, he didn't leave me exactly in awe either. Remember also that Stanford had a very strong O-line, so Luck wasn't usually passing with guys up in his face or draped all over him. He may be a great one, but I'm not 100% sold.

...Yeahhh... I don't agree with that. I think we would struggle a lot with Andrew Luck as well, not just Robert Griffin III. We need a good defense, good special teams, and a good O-line first. And Peyton Manning!!!!!

RG3 could escape the pressure the oline gives up

Personally, I'm not in love with Luck. I've seen a couple of Stanford games this year and while he was good in those games, I didn't exactly have to pick my jaw up off the floor. Take into consideration that he's got at least two offensive linemen who are projected to go early in the 2012 draft. I don't think he was surrounded by elite talent at receiver, but Stanford could really pound the ball on the ground, so the talent he had was optimized by play-action. He had Harbaugh as a mentor/coach and probably has neared his peak in coachable habits. I also heard Mike Mayock on ESPN say that he's not impressed enough with Luck to put him in elite status

• 3 months later...

I liked your first post so you would know nobody likes this.

Cute, now you can change your name again.

The "like" system serves a purpose. As much as I enjoy a good play on words, this will get real old, real fast.