Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Is Everyone So Caught Up On Luck?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said in another thread, I bet most people here had never even heard of Griffin before this season. I know people will not admit to that and say "oh, I've watched him forever, blah, blah, blah, :rolleyes: , but I won't believe them. Heck most of the college football insiders knew very little about the guy before this season. People are too reactionary and fall in love with a guy who had a good yr., but hasn't played at a high level over several seasons. He's the flavor of the month and when he proclaimed himself the heisman winner, then he just told me the guy kind of guy he is and it's not one that I want running my team.

Like I said in another thread, I bet most people here had never even heard of Griffin before this season. I know people will not admit to that and say "oh, I've watched him forever, blah, blah, blah, :rolleyes: , but I won't believe them. Heck most of the college football insiders knew very little about the guy before this season. People are too reactionary and fall in love with a guy who had a good yr., but hasn't played at a high level over several seasons. He's the flavor of the month and when he proclaimed himself the heisman winner, then he just told me the guy kind of guy he is and it's not one that I want running my team.

This isnt his only good season

This is a great read. It was posted in the draft section of the forum by cmgww (credit goes to you). It compares Luck, Elway, and Matt Ryan while they were in college. Read it and see what you think about Luck.

http://espn.go.com/n...scouting-report

Don't ya know that we have a bunch of experts here that breakdown players with remarkable accuracy. Obviously, we should listen to the guys here and not the ones that get paid and have yrs of experience that actually work for NFL teams. Surely the experts here just haven't been discovered by NFL owners for their incredible knowledge of college athletes.

Don't ya know that we have a bunch of experts here that breakdown players with remarkable accuracy. Obviously, we should listen to the guys here and not the ones that get paid and have yrs of experience that actually work for NFL teams. Surely the experts here just haven't been discovered by NFL owners for their incredible knowledge of college athletes.

One thing ya gotta remember is that Irsay and Polian have NOT said a word about who they would draft, or what they would do with the pick.

Fact of the matter is, Stanford is what, 5th in the nation?

Barkley's arm is stronger (that is what the pros say), and he's what, 6'5" tall? Don't count him out....I'm just sayin'....He will be somewhere in the trading, and picking, too.

One thing ya gotta remember is that Irsay and Polian have NOT said a word about who they would draft, or what they would do with the pick.

Barkley's arm is stronger (that is what the pros say), and he's what, 6'5" tall? Don't count him out....I'm just sayin'....He will be somewhere in the trading, and picking, too.

I haven't heard anybody say Barkleys arm is stronger and Barkley is only listed at 6'2" which means he's probably closer to 6'1".

And Barkley finished the season STRONG. In his last four games (all wins, including two blowouts and an upset at Oregon) he was 104/133 (78%), 1238 yards, 17 touchdowns, 2 interceptions, 1 rushing touchdown. That's one heck of a freakin stat line. I think it's highly egregious that he's not a Heisman finalist.

However, he's not 6'5". He's listed at 6'2", which is a big difference for a pro quarterback. Not going to make or break you, but it matters. Aaron Rodgers is 6'2", so it's not really an issue.

He hasn't declared yet, and it could really go either way, because USC figures to have a great shot at a BCS bowl game and maybe a title game next year. Plus, he'd definitely get Heisman consideration, assuming Luck and Griffin go pro. Kellen Moore is also a senior and would be out of the mix. But if he does declare for the draft, he'll climb every single day. He can make all the throws, his footwork is great, his mechanics are sound, and he'll have a great combine/pro day workout. He's smart and sociable, so he'll knock the interviews and Wonderlic out of the park. All the measurables are there. Not to say anything about anyone else, but he'll be a blue-chip prospect.

Because his numbers while at Stanford, his level of athelitism and such are off the charts.

Wouldnt say off the charts. He can avoid a sack and pick up a first down, occasionally break a long run but he is not going to scare defenses with his running. Now RG3's athleticism is "off the charts" as are his numbers, which are equally impressive as Lucks, even when he plays the top teams RG3s numbers dont falter. In fact the opposite happens. Hes team is worse so he doesnt win as many games but his skill set is right there with Lucks. He doesnt have control of the playbook at the line like Luck does, which as I see it is the only thing Luck is hands down better then RG3 at. But RG3 doesn't have to be completely pro ready like Luck is, thats the benefit of sitting behind Manning for 3 years.

I've been lucky, living in Houston I get to see a lot of Baylor games. Watching the two I found myself being more amazed at the passing ability of RG3 over Luck. Will the two probably be pro QBs, probably, only time will tell. Just because the 'experts' say someone is good, doesn't mean that player will be good.

And Barkley finished the season STRONG. In his last four games (all wins, including two blowouts and an upset at Oregon) he was 104/133 (78%), 1238 yards, 17 touchdowns, 2 interceptions, 1 rushing touchdown. That's one heck of a freakin stat line. I think it's highly egregious that he's not a Heisman finalist.

However, he's not 6'5". He's listed at 6'2", which is a big difference for a pro quarterback. Not going to make or break you, but it matters. Aaron Rodgers is 6'2", so it's not really an issue.

He hasn't declared yet, and it could really go either way, because USC figures to have a great shot at a BCS bowl game and maybe a title game next year. Plus, he'd definitely get Heisman consideration, assuming Luck and Griffin go pro. Kellen Moore is also a senior and would be out of the mix. But if he does declare for the draft, he'll climb every single day. He can make all the throws, his footwork is great, his mechanics are sound, and he'll have a great combine/pro day workout. He's smart and sociable, so he'll knock the interviews and Wonderlic out of the park. All the measurables are there. Not to say anything about anyone else, but he'll be a blue-chip prospect.

Is Kellen Moore also as athletic as Luck? Not counting him out either since I think there's a 50/50 chance the #1overall pick is traded and the colts use their first pick to get 1 of the other top qb prospects

Is Kellen Moore also as athletic as Luck? Not counting him out either since I think there's a 50/50 chance the #1overall pick is traded and the colts use their first pick to get 1 of the other top qb prospects

I can't imagine the Colts drafting Kellen Moore. His arm strength is limited, I don't think he's as athletic as the other guys (definitely not Luck and Griffin), and he's short for an NFL quarterback. Not even 6'0". I kind of look at him like this year's Colt McCoy: a guy who had success in college, but would be limited in the NFL. Maybe a mid round draft pick, I think. This is based mostly on what I've heard/read about him. I've only seen him play once or twice in the past couple years, and I like him, but not as a pro quarterback.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people have heard of Robert Griffin III as a true freshman, and probably not very people heard of Luck until he was a 3rd year redshirt sophomore.

The bolded statement is immature and takes Robert Griffin III out of context.

As i was reading the replies it reminded me of the similar debates going on in 97. Some people and the talking heads in sports were saying about Leaf, that his arm strength is amazing, has a cannon for an arm, etc...... Some also said of Manning that although he didn't seem to sport the strength of Leaf, he was much more acurate and pro ready.

Manning at that time also had been doing those amazing things for 4 years, and of course Leaf had the good year when he right before he came out.

I see the same things now about said about the other QB's and Luck. In short i think Luck has the potential to be a superstar QB in this league. The comparisons to he and Manning are scary.

There is a good article in ESPN this week breaking down Andrew Luck as a QB.

ESPN and CNN/SI "pundits" claimed Ryan Leaf to be "pro-ready" also...

What happened there?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/events/1998/nfldraft/topplayers/3.html

Leaf appears to be the hot QB in this draft' date=' and he led WSU to a storybook season...He is a physically imposing QB with great size and strength....he is very sturdy and durable in the pocket, and is a surprisingly good athlete for his size...He has a strong arm and shows good touch, and can change up the speed on his passes...He has good feet, but is not really a scrambler. However, he can stand in and take the big hits....He is a very naturally gifted player, but could improve on his throwing mechanics, although it is not a major problem....There are no physical or athletic limitations to hold Leaf back from becoming a great NFL QB. However, there appears to be some minor nagging questions in the area of maturity and his mental approach to the game. He is perceived as not always an easy guy to work with, and he tends to beat to his own drummer...As good as he is, he can have some streaks on the field where he looks like he has forgotten everything he has been taught...There seems to be a nagging question here that something might be missing, but it may be hard to verbalize it...However, Leaf made all the right moves at the end of his season when he declared for the NFL draft...Unless he turns some teams off in individual interviews between now and the draft, he should have no problems....Nobody will question his physical abilities, and it is not outlandish to think that he could be the first pick of the draft, instead of Peyton Manning....There is a huge upside with Leaf, and it is conceivable that he could be one of the best young QB’s in the game in 2-3 years...His ability to play as physical as he does and take the hits that will obviously come, when playing for a team that obviously doesn’t have a very good OL, will help him get over the tough times as a team builds around him.[/quote']

Arm strength is over rated. Do you think Brady and Manning have elite arm-strength?

They aren't caught up on Andrew Luck; they are caught up on Aaron Rodgers. Those same people also heard some guy, somewhere suggest that the Colts could have a Favre/Rodgers transition by drafting a QB right now despite the complete lack of logic behind that statement. This means it must be fact, and Aaron Rodgers is the reason for ALL of the Packers success right now. By association, Andrew Luck's story will play out just like the one Aaron Rodgers has been a part of.

The explanation is really that simple.

P.S. Those same people will then talk about how terrible this team is, and how building around a QB is so stoopid, yet Luck is supposed to come in and keep us in contention every year.

Arm strength is over rated. Do you think Brady and Manning have elite arm-strength?

They absolutely have elite arm strength. Strength doesn't necessarily refer to an ability to throw the ball 70 yards while lying down. It's about velocity, control, and precision as well. Brady and Manning have those things in spades, partly because of their arm strength.

There are a lot of QB's who are great in college, but not good in the NFL simply because they can't get the ball to the target fast enough. They don't have the arm strength to release it from their back foot, or in a 3-step drop, or in the wind, or between coverages, etc.

Irsay was quoted earlier this week as saying he wants Manning and Luck here next year. Now granted that didn't come right from his mouth it was reported by someone on ESPN but I highly doubt that person just made it up.

Irsay was quoted earlier this week as saying he wants Manning and Luck here next year. Now granted that didn't come right from his mouth it was reported by someone on ESPN but I highly doubt that person just made it up.

Jim Irsay wouldn't be to smart to want that. Does he expect the colts to win the Superbowl these next couple of years with Peyton Manning with this depleted roster? Then what? We end up not winning the Super Bowl, we waste a couple of years of Manning's career, Andrew Luck takes over, and our roster is still not in very good shape.

Jim Irsay wouldn't be to smart to want that. Does he expect the colts to win the Superbowl these next couple of years with Peyton Manning with this depleted roster? Then what? We end up not winning the Super Bowl, we waste a couple of years of Manning's career, Andrew Luck takes over, and our roster is still not in very good shape.

This isn't the only draft pick we are ever going to have again despite what some people are making it out to be. Irsay is smart enough to know at best you probably have three to four years left of Manning. He's trying to set themselves up so they don't become the Miami Dolphins or Buffalo Bills when their franchise QB leaves where 15 years later you are still trying to replace him. This is a QB driven league if you see a guy who is going to be the next great one and you have a chance to draft him you do it.

Also this roster is not as bad as most people might think yes even with the 0-12 record. They are 0-12 because the whole thing dependent on having a super star QB make the thing go and we don't have anything close to that right now. If they had that this year they are probably at worst 8-4 right now and people aren't gripping about the roster. We fix the QB spot and we are going to fix a lot of these other problems and yes we can keep adding talent in other rounds of the draft and in future drafts. We aren't going to fix three to four years worth of sub par drafts in one draft even if we do trade Luck for probably at most three or four more picks.