Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Colt Team Ever?

dn4192

Thats tough, offensively easily the '04 squad, defensively the '05 and '07 teams (prior to Freeney getting injured)

I think the most complete team was the 2005 team. On paper, 2nd in scoring offense and defense. If Vanderjagt didnt shank that kick who knows what could've happened. The Colts were firing on all cylinders, great O line, great running game, great passing game, play-action was deadly. Defense forced turnovers, got after the QB. Special teams wasn't anything great but solid. I still feel the 05 loss against the Steelers was the worst loss in the Manning era. The Colts (dont quote me on this) would have faced Denver in the AFCCG who Manning has torched over his career. And the Seahawks in the SB?

Agree with most on 05, minus the * kicker.

Somewhat off topic, but I always felt like the 06 team was one of our worst teams. The run defense was so pitiful down the stretch before the playoffs. Crazy that's the source of our only ring. Makes me think this current team with Manning may not be so far away from competitiveness.

Agree with most on 05, minus the * kicker.

Somewhat off topic, but I always felt like the 06 team was one of our worst teams. The run defense was so pitiful down the stretch before the playoffs. Crazy that's the source of our only ring. Makes me think this current team with Manning may not be so far away from competitiveness.

Yeah I find that amusing too

Imagine the '04 offense + the '06 playoffs defense :eek:

I liked the 04 team the best, I had season tickets (nickelpack) and was working in Indy. Plus I was at the San Diego game and remember Rhoads returning the second half kickoff, if my memory serves me. Then Stokley caught the 49th TD from Manning. Even though they were 12-4 I liked that team.

I also enjojed the RCA dome that place was great!

think you mean '07 defense. '06 was the Super Bowl year, and we were the worst defense until the post-season.

They played like world beaters throughout 2007. Not only did they show up big in the playoffs but they were the #1 defense in the regular season and Bob Sanders won DPOY. Then January 2008 comes around and they disappear again. It's almost like Bob Sanders had a fairy godmother or something.

The 2005 team hands down, we won every game up to the Chargers game by 8 pts or more. Dungy's son's death and the rust of about a month of not playing, too much to overcome. The case of the missing rings. But then, that offseason, Manning's movement in the pocket became MUCH better, IMO, and it was harder to sack him since then, IMO. Plus, the checkdowns he ignored to Edge in the 2005 playoffs vs the Steelers, he started taking more of those in the 2006 playoffs with Addai & Rhodes with Addai setting a SB record for catches by an RB in our SB winning season.

That was the ammo of teams that played Peyton, that he would not take checkdowns and look up field more, Belichick exploited it for 2 consecutive years in the playoffs, and then the Steelers in 2005. From that point onward, Peyton's playoff QB numbers had far less turnovers too and his record vs 3-4 teams got better too. The numbers do not lie, they reflect that.

I think the most complete team was the 2005 team. On paper, 2nd in scoring offense and defense. If Vanderjagt didnt shank that kick who knows what could've happened.

I agree completely, but the problem was Dungy's son killing himself, not Vanderjagt missing a long field goal that we shouldn't have even had the opportunity to try if not for a horrific call by the refs. That game was lost in the first quarter with the Steelers having a great game plan and the Colts coming out incredibly slowly. The Colts outsplayed them the rest of the game, but with the Steelers able to milk the lead with some time consuming drives, the Colts didn't have time to come all the way back. Vanderjagt had nothing to do with any of that. It would make more sense to blame Harpers wife for stabbing her husband. Much more worthy of scorn, and possibly preventing a fumble return for a TD. Vandy was just a convenient scapegoat. I actually find it upsetting that the outcry and ridicule essentially destroyed his career. He was a bit of a head case but a phenomenal kicker.

The 2005 team--man, I loved that Monday night game against the Steelers--we blew them out of the water. Who knew they would come back in the playoffs to knock us out. That loss was the worst for me as a fan in the PM era.

The 05 playoff game against the Steelers was terrible. My teacher had a poster in her room of "the tackle". I looked at the photo everyday with anger. It saddened me Nick got tackled only by his shoelaces.

The 05 playoff game against the Steelers was terrible. My teacher had a poster in her room of "the tackle". I looked at the photo everyday with anger. It saddened me Nick got tackled only by his shoelaces.

That play was unreal. When Manning got sacked I left my seat and started to leave the game. I was heading down the stairs, my brother and my dad were already ahead of my but I turned around to see one more play, assuming Pittsburgh was going to punch it in, but then that play happened. It was surreal. The emotion roller coaster of that game was incredible. I still can't believe that Harper, even with a stab wound, couldn't make Roethlisberger miss. And then the anti climactic field goal by Vanderjerk, I watched that kick with a sick feeling in my stomach, because it was so far right that I knew it never had a chance.

That play was unreal. When Manning got sacked I left my seat and started to leave the game. I was heading down the stairs, my brother and my dad were already ahead of my but I turned around to see one more play, assuming Pittsburgh was going to punch it in, but then that play happened. It was surreal. The emotion roller coaster of that game was incredible. I still can't believe that Harper, even with a stab wound, couldn't make Roethlisberger miss. And then the anti climactic field goal by Vanderjerk, I watched that kick with a sick feeling in my stomach, because it was so far right that I knew it never had a chance.

It has to be one of his eaiest kicks ever. My dad always said if it came down to Vandy to win for us we would lose. It always seemed when the game was on the line he would miss. My dad use to say he bet against us in games then he would cash in after. rotfl

Without a doubt our 2007 was our best season when we won the super bowl. Very little to no injuries. We were great on defense and great on offense. No doubt

The season where we lost the super bowl was pretty good too but our defense was lacking that year. So definitely 07.

its easy to say 04 or 05. We could have won in 2005. Especially against the Seahawks. But then we wouldnt have had an amazing season in 2007. That one felt more special because we were really hungry for the Super Bowl. As for 2004, we really got crushed against the Patriots. Just wasnt a good year...

Without a doubt our 2007 was our best season when we won the super bowl. Very little to no injuries. We were great on defense and great on offense. No doubt

The season where we lost the super bowl was pretty good too but our defense was lacking that year. So definitely 07.

its easy to say 04 or 05. We could have won in 2005. Especially against the Seahawks. But then we wouldnt have had an amazing season in 2007. That one felt more special because we were really hungry for the Super Bowl. As for 2004, we really got crushed against the Patriots. Just wasnt a good year...

We won the Super Bowl for 2006 not 2007. The playoffs took place mostly in 2007 so I can see that mistake.

With that said the run defense was horriable up to the playoffs in 2006. So I don't know if you can say that was our best team. Even their own coach Tony Dungy has said many times that talent wise the 2005 team was better than that team. I do think the 2006 team wanted it more than any other team which made up for the talent gap.

I guess you could just be talking about the playoff run team but that isn't really a whole team that was just a great four game stretch. Even then the offense was very good but was clearly not as good as they normally were with Peyton Manning. So I don't really think there is a case to say they were our best team. They were the team that wanted the Super Bowl though and that had more to do with heart and match ups than vs talent of our other teams.

I wish they would have let PM go in 04. He could have thrown 55+ TDs if he wanted to.

I hope you're just joking...but if you're not:

Manning played in 15 games and threw 49 touchdown passes. You're telling me he could throw at least 6 TDs in one game. It's possible, but why would he go all out, plus they were against Broncos, who had a good defense.

The only years that matters for :shoe: Colts fans are the years we won the Superbowl :lombardi: ,what happened in the regular doesn't mean a hill of beans unless you win the big one.Just ask any Patriots fan.

Yeah expect the question is what was the best TEAM. You don't judge a team based only on four games. It wasn't what was the best season in Colts history.

I hope you're just joking...but if you're not:

Manning played in 15 games and threw 49 touchdown passes. You're telling me he could throw at least 6 TDs in one game. It's possible, but why would he go all out, plus they were against Broncos, who had a good defense.

Manning played for about 2 1/2 quarters in 4 of those games, however. He plays every snap, a la Brady or Rodgers, and he throws 6 more TD's with his eyes closed.

Manning played for about 2 1/2 quarters in 4 of those games, however. He plays every snap, a la Brady or Rodgers, and he throws 6 more TD's with his eyes closed.

I don't think so, not against the Broncos in snow and in 0 degrees. He throws 2 max. Now about those games, I don't really remember him playing 2 1/2 quarters, because when I think of the games late in the season, he played the Chargers game, and the Ravens. He would still be the record holder today had he play every game to the fullest, but 55 TDs is a stretch, 53 max is more like it.

I don't think so, not against the Broncos in snow and in 0 degrees. He throws 2 max. Now about those games, I don't really remember him playing 2 1/2 quarters, because when I think of the games late in the season, he played the Chargers game, and the Ravens. He would still be the record holder today had he play every game to the fullest, but 55 TDs is a stretch, 53 max is more like it.

He's talking about like the game vs. the Texans or Titans that year when we brought him out at the end of the third quarter because we were up so much.

He's talking about like the game vs. the Texans or Titans that year when we brought him out at the end of the third quarter because we were up so much.

So they brought Manning out for one quarter in 2 games... still don't think he gets to 55.