Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Great article on "The Ghost"

T Y Goodbye

The top two performing receivers in the NFL are from the same youth football league in Florida... That's unreal!! What are the odds?

Probably about the same as going from Peyton to Andrew as the quarterback. haha

I'm with TY, Arizona in February seems like a fitting goal for this team this year.

Great article.

Is it just me or is 'Casper' maybe a better nickname than 'The Ghost'?

Actually, both have already been used in the NFL - by the same guy.  Dave Casper (real name!) of the Oakland Raiders was nicknamed the Ghost.  It was Casper's 42 yard reception vs. the Colts in 1977 that became known as the Ghost to the Post, that setup the FG that tied the game late in the 4th quarter, and lead to a Raiders double overtime victory (a Stabler to Casper TD) 37 - 31. It was pre-Indy, but some of us older Colts fans remember.

And to the O.P - MMQB is Peter King's venue, but Jenny Vrentas was the interviewer and author of this  (fine) piece.

Actually, both have already been used in the NFL - by the same guy.  Dave Casper (real name!) of the Oakland Raiders was nicknamed the Ghost.  It was Casper's 42 yard reception vs. the Colts in 1977 that became known as the Ghost to the Post, that setup the FG that tied the game late in the 4th quarter, and lead to a Raiders double overtime victory (a Stabler to Casper TD) 37 - 31. It was pre-Indy, but some of us older Colts fans remember.

And to the O.P - MMQB is Peter King's venue, but Jenny Vrentas was the interviewer and author of this  (fine) piece.

I was a Raiders season ticket holder back then, and saw many of Casper's games. He was one of the tight ends who helped to redefine the position to become what it is today.  Casper was also involved in another play that will live on forever in NFL lore -- the fumblerooski known as the "Holy Roller"!

I was a Raiders season ticket holder back then, and saw many of Casper's games. He was one of the tight ends who helped to redefine the position to become what it is today.  Casper was also involved in another play that will live on forever in NFL lore -- the fumblerooski known as the "Holy Roller"!

Oh yes, absolutely!  The immaculate deception play.  LOL.  That winter, new rules that inside 2 minutes of half or game, (and 4th down anytime) only fumbling player could recover AND advance the ball.  If team mate recovers, it is placed back at the spot of the fumble.  Somehow, I think folks will get me to believe Bill Polian must have been involved...  ;-)

Today, Stabler would have either been called for forward lateral, or incomplete pass at worst.  But if it got past that, Pete Banaszak two handed flip would be flagged.  Casper's little push and soccer kick into the end zone looked to be the only part real and hard to flag, but even that smelled of trickery.  LOL

If somehow a fumble from Stabler was allowed these days, that's where it would be re-spotted when Casper covered it in the end zone.

Actually, both have already been used in the NFL - by the same guy. Dave Casper (real name!) of the Oakland Raiders was nicknamed the Ghost. It was Casper's 42 yard reception vs. the Colts in 1977 that became known as the Ghost to the Post, that setup the FG that tied the game late in the 4th quarter, and lead to a Raiders double overtime victory (a Stabler to Casper TD) 37 - 31. It was pre-Indy, but some of us older Colts fans remember.

And to the O.P - MMQB is Peter King's venue, but Jenny Vrentas was the interviewer and author of this (fine) piece.

I was at that game , and it was a brutal loss for Bert Jones and the boys. Great game, though, and probably the high water mark of the Bob Irsay years in Baltimore.

Oh yes, absolutely!  The immaculate deception play.  LOL.  That winter, new rules that inside 2 minutes of half or game, (and 4th down anytime) only fumbling player could recover AND advance the ball.  If team mate recovers, it is placed back at the spot of the fumble.  Somehow, I think folks will get me to believe Bill Polian must have been involved...  ;-)

Today, Stabler would have either been called for forward lateral, or incomplete pass at worst.  But if it got past that, Pete Banaszak two handed flip would be flagged.  Casper's little push and soccer kick into the end zone looked to be the only part real and hard to flag, but even that smelled of trickery.  LOL

If somehow a fumble from Stabler was allowed these days, that's where it would be re-spotted when Casper covered it in the end zone.

Stabler, Banaszak and Casper all later "confessed" that they did what they did on purpose. From what I saw of the Raiders back in those days, that play was probably in the playbook. As Al Davis used to say, "Just win, baby!". The Raiders were fun to watch back in those days. Today? Not so much.