Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Only Luck Got The Nod To Succeed Peyton

King Colt

Yesterday 10/15/14 the show hosted by Trey Wingo on ESPN asked the panel how many TDs will Peyton end up with. After they all guessed he then asked is their ANYBODY that may catch Manning's lifetime TD number after he retires. The response was unanimous as all three said Luck and none of them even so much as hinted at any other QB to do it. How sweet it is!!

I would agree, he's the only one who's started every game since he was a rookie and his team relies upon him to put up big numbers.

That's true, but Russell Wilson had more TD passes through two years, on far fewer attempts. He could get going at some point, also.

Why on earth do people not want 18 games? We all cry like babies during the off season, yet the chance to give us more games is derided by some pseudo belief that it is unfair on the players. They earn enough. Play more real games and stop crying about it.

I'm more concerned about their health if the season went on longer. There aren't that many players in the NFL that are really good to great. It's pretty sucktastic when one of them falls to injury. By the end of the season I think a lot of them are held together by bubble gum and duct tape.

And re-reading that, it looks like a jumble of incoherent thought without a real purpose.

Oh, well. There's a point in there somewheres.

Greed..... 

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yup......

Just another reason to hope that the NFL never goes to 18 games.

16 is perfect.

It will become touch football..     more games more carnage...       but sponsor money goes up...

The game is close to unwatchable right now .. IMO ...    more games?   I can see the day coming I just don't care about the NFL anymore if this onslaught of GREED, and sissyfication continues...    

Why on earth do people not want 18 games? We all cry like babies during the off season, yet the chance to give us more games is derided by some pseudo belief that it is unfair on the players. They earn enough. Play more real games and stop crying about it.

I'm in for 2 more games, more Sundays, more fun. Go 18 games but have two bye weeks. 20 weeks of regular season football, I would be in heaven. The world is started to buy into football, lots of rugby stars are considering trying out. There will be a larger talent pool to pull from. Make the rosters larger and just deal with the injuries that come with that.

So are you telling me that coaches don't have the acumen to reduce snaps, so that their players play the equivilant of 16 games? There would be more emphasis on smart coaching which would add a new dimension to the game. Throw in an extra bye week and a bigger squad, and the impact could be negligible.

I'm more concerned about their health if the season went on longer. There aren't that many players in the NFL that are really good to great. It's pretty sucktastic when one of them falls to injury. By the end of the season I think a lot of them are held together by bubble gum and duct tape.

And re-reading that, it looks like a jumble of incoherent thought without a real purpose.

Oh, well. There's a point in there somewheres.

Yet you answered quite clearly. Not that incomprehensible then. I'm pretty sure you worked out my point. Thanks for responding though.

So are you telling me that coaches don't have the acumen to reduce snaps, so that their players play the equivilant of 16 games? There would be more emphasis on smart coaching which would add a new dimension to the game. Throw in an extra bye week and a bigger squad, and the impact could be negligible.

I've posted my idea a few times before, but here it is again:

Get rid of two preseason games. (Let teams set up joint practices and a couple intrasquad scrimmages to make up for the lost competition, if they want. Maybe some long time regional arrangements, like Colts vs Bears and Bengals, or something like that, every year.)

Start the season two weeks earlier than it starts now. Keep a 16 game schedule, but add two bye weeks for each team. Have a Thursday night double header in Week 1, featuring two of the final four teams from the previous season, and have three Thanksgiving games. Now you have 13 weeks of Thursday night games, and one of those weeks is Week 1. Every other team that plays on Thursday gets a bye the week before, so no one has to play on a short week.

I also think the rosters need to expand accordingly. And if you want to start camp earlier, fine. Loosen some of the restrictions regarding offseason contact and football related activity between players and coaches.

The NFL gets to dominate TV ratings for an extra two weeks, you cut back on the preseason games that no one likes, more players get jobs, you generally have a better product, the Thursday night games aren't played on short weeks (which cuts down on the advantage to the home team), etc. 

® © ™

I've posted my idea a few times before, but here it is again:

Get rid of two preseason games. (Let teams set up joint practices and a couple intrasquad scrimmages to make up for the lost competition, if they want. Maybe some long time regional arrangements, like Colts vs Bears and Bengals, or something like that, every year.)

Start the season two weeks earlier than it starts now. Keep a 16 game schedule, but add two bye weeks for each team. Have a Thursday night double header in Week 1, featuring two of the final four teams from the previous season, and have three Thanksgiving games. Now you have 13 weeks of Thursday night games, and one of those weeks is Week 1. Every other team that plays on Thursday gets a bye the week before, so no one has to play on a short week.

I also think the rosters need to expand accordingly. And if you want to start camp earlier, fine. Loosen some of the restrictions regarding offseason contact and football related activity between players and coaches.

The NFL gets to dominate TV ratings for an extra two weeks, you cut back on the preseason games that no one likes, more players get jobs, you generally have a better product, the Thursday night games aren't played on short weeks (which cuts down on the advantage to the home team), etc. 

® ©

I definitely agree with the Thursday night and the bye week before.  It would address the player's repeated critcism of having a short season puts players health at a greater risk.  Heck, pretty much everything you said is a win win win for all three groups - players, coaches, owners.  I know Goodell has mentioned the idea of an 18 game season, but that negotiations wouldn't probably happen until the current CBA is set to expire and negotiations for the next CBA begin, which I would hope a lot of these ideas you suggest are brought to the table.

Yesterday 10/15/14 the show hosted by Trey Wingo on ESPN asked the panel how many TDs will Peyton end up with. After they all guessed he then asked is their ANYBODY that may catch Manning's lifetime TD number after he retires. The response was unanimous as all three said Luck and none of them even so much as hinted at any other QB to do it. How sweet it is!!

I agree. However he's going to have to increase his TD rate. At current rate he'll be 45 and have played 20 seasons to tie it. If my maths right.

If the league goes to 18 games, all these records are in trouble. 

They probably will go to 18 knowing them.  I learned just a couple days ago that the league used to only play 14 games years ago before switching to the 16 game format.  I'm sure people were moaning and groaning when those changes were made. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a switch is made to the 18 game format.  Although it does appear to be a bit much.

It will become touch football..     more games more carnage...       but sponsor money goes up...

The game is close to unwatchable right now .. IMO ...    more games?   I can see the day coming I just don't care about the NFL anymore if this onslaught of GREED, and sissyfication continues...

Close to Unwatchable? Yet, ratings are still they the roof.