Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian Hoyer the real deal in Cleveland; Pitt in last place

amfootball

Manziel was the 2nd of two first round picks we had. Going into another year where we again have two first round picks. He isn't making much money and we have lots of cap space. If Hoyer continues to play like he is now and win games, he will either get re-signed or get a franchise tag. 

They will both be on the roster next year, some way some how. 

Cleveland is in a great situation with their QBs IMO. Hoyer is playing well and Gordon will come back next month which will really help the O be explosive. Then you have Manziel on the bench which I think is good for him. Being out of the limelight and just sitting and learning what it takes to be a starter and a professional is really important for him.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh... I don't think it's unrealistic that Manziel rides the bench forever or gets traded/released... if Hoyer continues to play spectacularly, that is. 1st round contracts just aren't the financial disasters that they used to be if they don't work out. And remember, Manziel was already displaying the diva aspects in the preseason that the Browns were going to avoid.

No... I don't think it's unrealistic that Bryan Hoyer ends up winning at the end of all of this.

Confused a bit. You say in a post just before this one...."If Hoyer continues to play like he is now and win games, he will either get re-signed or get a franchise tag. "

So how about you look yo the projected price to franchise a QB and revisit this.

That is a worst case scenario, where he doesn't want to sign with us, which I don't think is reality. The absolute worst case scenario, we franchise tag him.....Being a 6th year guy and having already torn his ACL last year, there is very little chance that he would play under a franchise tag and there is zero chance he gets $15 million a season with a contract. 

Hoyer wants to start. The Browns may want to re-sign him but he does not have to sign. He knows that as long as Manziel is there, Manziel is the future QB.

Manziel is on a 4 year contract, he is 21 years old. Hoyer is 29, the "future" doesn't have to be next year....There is absolutely no incentive to let Hoyer walk. 

Cleveland is in a great situation with their QBs IMO. Hoyer is playing well and Gordon will come back next month which will really help the O be explosive. Then you have Manziel on the bench which I think is good for him. Being out of the limelight and just sitting and learning what it takes to be a starter and a professional is really important for him.

I agree, Manziel didn't even have a playbook in college. He wasn't ready for the NFL and it showed in pre-season. You saw flashes of "Johnny Football" but you also saw a guy who wasn't getting through his progressions, was limited in the playbook and wasn't in "command" of the offense like Hoyer is. 

This, quite honestly is the best case scenario for the Browns and Manziel. 

Eh... I don't think it's unrealistic that Manziel rides the bench forever or gets traded/released... if Hoyer continues to play spectacularly, that is. 1st round contracts just aren't the financial disasters that they used to be if they don't work out. And remember, Manziel was already displaying the diva aspects in the preseason that the Browns were going to avoid.

No... I don't think it's unrealistic that Bryan Hoyer ends up winning at the end of all of this.

The only problem is, Hoyer is 29 and Manziel is, physically more talented. If I were the Browns, I would sign Hoyer to a nice 3 year deal and at the end of it, decide who to re-sign, Manziel or Hoyer. If Hoyer wants a 5-7 year deal, it either has to be team friendly or he gets franchise tagged, while we figure it out. Which I am most certain Hoyer DOES NOT want, being 29 and already having tore his ACL....he needs to get paid. 

That is a worst case scenario, where he doesn't want to sign with us, which I don't think is reality. The absolute worst case scenario, we franchise tag him.....Being a 6th year guy and having already torn his ACL last year, there is very little chance that he would play under a franchise tag and there is zero chance he gets $15 million a season with a contract. 

Manziel is on a 4 year contract, he is 21 years old. Hoyer is 29, the "future" doesn't have to be next year....There is absolutely no incentive to let Hoyer walk. 

I didn't ask you scenario's or which year he's in or how his ACL was. What I questioned is in one post you say Cleveland can decide to franchise him. That # will be no doubt above 15 miil. You have in another post that there is no way he gets a contract at 15 mill per season. Maybe I missed all that "worst case scenario" stuff. 

I didn't ask you scenario's or which year he's in or how his ACL was. What I questioned is in one post you say Cleveland can decide to franchise him. That # will be no doubt above 15 miil. You have in another post that there is no way he gets a contract at 15 mill per season. Maybe I missed all that "worst case scenario" stuff. 

You're being so petty. The franchise tag is not the same as a 15 million dollar per year contract, period. I don't understand how you can't comprehend that. 

You're being so petty. The franchise tag is not the same as a 15 million dollar per year contract, period. I don't understand how you can't comprehend that. 

17 plus million for 1 year really does mean it's more than a million per year. Nothing that you have is above my comprehension ... believe me on that one. But I do get your point and I did get it from the beginning. However , that said , I have never seen a team pay a player that might be worth say 9 mill per year .. ? be franchised for 17 million. I mean anything can happen but you're pretty much putting forth a scenario that probably wouldn't be in the team's best interest or the player's best interest. 

17 plus million for 1 year really does mean it's more than a million per year. Nothing that you have is above my comprehension ... believe me on that one. But I do get your point and I did get it from the beginning. However , that said , I have never seen a team pay a player that might be worth say 9 mill per year .. ? be franchised for 17 million. I mean anything can happen but you're pretty much putting forth a scenario that probably wouldn't be in the team's best interest or the player's best interest. 

Yeah, I think when push comes to shove, there's no way the Browns tag Hoyer. 

If you want to keep him, offer him a market deal with staggered guarantees, maybe four years, $40m, and play it a year at a time. If not, give it to Manziel and close the book on Hoyer, and let him go to the Rams or the Texans or whoever.

Yeah, I think when push comes to shove, there's no way the Browns tag Hoyer. 

If you want to keep him, offer him a market deal with staggered guarantees, maybe four years, $40m, and play it a year at a time. If not, give it to Manziel and close the book on Hoyer, and let him go to the Rams or the Texans or whoever.

If I had to guess , I'd say the Browns turn it over to Manziel and Hoyer probably signs elsewhere in 2015. If I kept guessing , I would say that this will probably be a lot more defined after another 6-7 games. We are only 5 games into Cleveland's season .. way to early to say  we have the 2nd coming of Rich Gannon. 

If I had to guess , I'd say the Browns turn it over to Manziel and Hoyer probably signs elsewhere in 2015. If I kept guessing , I would say that this will probably be a lot more defined after another 6-7 games. We are only 5 games into Cleveland's season .. way to early to say  we have the 2nd coming of Rich Gannon. 

IMO, if Hoyer continues to play well and the Browns make the post-season then Manziel rides the bench for another year and Hoyer gets a new deal. If he plays average and the Browns miss the playoff-offs then he goes and Manziel starts in 2015.

They certainly have surprised through 5 games, I don't see it holding up though cause they could potentially have to get in 3-4 shootouts later in the season (Starting week 10 and 12).....I believe 9-7 is a real possibility but unless that secondary decides to show up at some point then its inevitable they crash and burn....Im talking to you Joe Haden

Drew Stanton? ;)

All kidding aside, I'm pleased that Hoyer is the starting QB and is winning games for the much maligned Browns. He was playing very well last year before his injury.

According to the team website:

"ProFootballFocus.com tweeted this about Brian Hoyer -- he leads all quarterbacks with 531 yards coming on deep passes traveling 16 yards or further in the air. Second is Philip Rivers (475); third is Andrew Luck (449). Hoyer’s arm strength has been on display in every game this season."

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Locker-Room-Report-Brian-Hoyer-rated-as-the-best-deep-passer-in-the-NFL/f84ccaa4-8e55-402c-a253-58b175c113ab

Thats impressive

Right. Talking about this in October makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine. Last year at this time, Hoyer had just been placed on IR. Stuff happens.

Right. Talking about this in October makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine. Last year at this time, Hoyer had just been placed on IR. Stuff happens.

Maybe a bit like everyone giving the job to Cousins after his first game ? 

Guess what ? It looks to be Brain Hoyer out there after all.  Big ... big dilemma for Cleveland. LOL

This is the time of year that fraudulent good teams start to struggle (Browns maybe, Bengals) and fraudulent bad teams start to quietly improve (Ravens, Pats). I actually think the Brown's just had a bad game though.

Big Ben has always hated Tom Haley, as have I. Guy didn't even play football and it a bigger sonofacoach fruad than Lane Kiffin.