Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Polian?

colts52761

Then if that is all that matters then the Colts have been winning, more over the past decade then any other team in the NFL. Yet it seems some here are upset with that and not satisfied with all that winning...isn't wasn't enough. I also wonder where people see this disorganization? I watch the games, what I see is a offense with NO QB and given teh importance of said position, is greatly impacting on how we play. If you compare this season with say last season, I would be interested to know:

1. After 9 games last season what was the Colts average time of possion on offense compared to this year?

2. How many offensive plays were run by the offense last year after 9 games and how many this time?

3. After 9 games how many times had the Colts punted total compared to this time?

4. After 9 games last year how many offensive turnovers had we commited compared to this season?

You keep validating everyone else's arguments. The Colts have been winning more than another other team in the last decade but it but why isn't the playoff record anywhere near as good? The problem is that we lost in the playoffs for the same reasons year after year - lackluster special teams, not being able to run the ball or stop the run. Every year the FO would acknowledge the problems and either ignore the problems and hope for a different result the next season, or they would do a very poor job of addressing the problems by getting more undrafted FAs or other teams' leftovers. Bill Polian built the Indianapolis Peyton Mannings, not the Indianapolis Colts.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the underlined part, I agree that several of our players being overpaid is a big part of the problem. However, I don't know how much of the blame on that I can put on Polian and how much goes on Irsay. Like I said in another thread, it was Irsay who kept saying that Manning would retire a Colt and that Manning would be the highest paid player in history, not Polian. There's a lot that I like about Irsay but I think he has been loyal to a fault to some of the players. Now I could be way off and maybe it really is Polian who overpaid those players, but like I said, Irsay's numerous comments during the Manning negotiations lead me to believe it was more Irsay than it was Polian.

To the part in Red, again I'm not sure how much of that goes on Polian. Speaking in terms of defensive players, those descriptions sound right up Dungy's alley for what he was looking for in regards to undersized but faster players And in terms of offensive linemen, undersized fit the Howard Mudd mold as well because he preferred smaller, faster linemen. It was after Mudd and Dungy left that both the offensive linemen and defensive players being brought in were bigger and stronger than in previous years. Now if a player was injury prone in college and he was drafted anyway then absolutely I'd say that's either bad decision or poor scouting.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Polian has never made a bad decision...I just think a lot of the things people are laying at his feet are not necessarily his fault.

You can't fool us. You'd blame Mother Theresa before you'd blame Bill for all the mess we are in. I don't mind if you have a man crush on old Bill, but don't kid us that you think he's fallable.

You keep validating everyone else's arguments. The Colts have been winning more than another other team in the last decade but it but why isn't the playoff record anywhere near as good? The problem is that we lost in the playoffs for the same reasons year after year - lackluster special teams, not being able to run the ball or stop the run. Every year the FO would acknowledge the problems and either ignore the problems and hope for a different result the next season, or they would do a very poor job of addressing the problems by getting more undrafted FAs or other teams' leftovers. Bill Polian built the Indianapolis Peyton Mannings, not the Indianapolis Colts.

Or could it be we have a great QB who for whatever reason throughout his career just doesn't come up big in big games especially the playoffs. Even in the season we won the SB, Peyton had some nice games in that playoff run, but nothing that makes you go OMG. Look back in his college career and you see the same thing.

You can't fool us. You'd blame Mother Theresa before you'd blame Bill for all the mess we are in. I don't mind if you have a man crush on old Bill, but don't kid us that you think he's fallable.

Okay so it's Bill fault we are bad this season, then it also must be his good moves that put this team in the position it has been for the past decade. You get the good and the bad....

Well expect to see it again because this team is embarrassing with out Peyton

Well it all depends what happens in teh draft. Look at Cincy, they had a very talented NFL QB and then drafted a rookie who is performing very well and they are winning. Maybe we draft a good rookie QB who gets us back to winning in a season or so.

Or could it be we have a great QB who for whatever reason throughout his career just doesn't come up big in big games especially the playoffs. Even in the season we won the SB, Peyton had some nice games in that playoff run, but nothing that makes you go OMG. Look back in his college career and you see the same thing.

So now you're saying it's everyone's fault but Polian. Wow!

Well it all depends what happens in teh draft. Look at Cincy, they had a very talented NFL QB and then drafted a rookie who is performing very well and they are winning. Maybe we draft a good rookie QB who gets us back to winning in a season or so.

So are you admitting we drafted a bad rookie QB in Painter? Or were the Polians sick on that particular draft weekend?

So are you admitting we drafted a bad rookie QB in Painter? Or were the Polians sick on that particular draft weekend?

No question Painter is a dud and I knew that when the Colts drafted him. I have never said Polian hasn't made bad decisions, what I have always said is that overall, he knows what he is doing and his track record shows he puts winning teams on the field. There is not 1 GM ever who doesn't make bad choices.

Been hearing this tired bit for many years now. There is no such thing as a perfect team, which is what you seem to want. These darn imperfections got you mad at Polian? Are you sick of this success? In the last five years we have 2 AFC Championships and a Super Bowl. We go to the playoffs every year and you still want to complain about imperfections? C'mon.....really?

I'm no Polian fan-boy, but I ain't about to cast dispersions at him until this team falls into a multi-year slump.

Ding ding ding, winner!

No question Painter is a dud and I knew that when the Colts drafted him. I have never said Polian hasn't made bad decisions, what I have always said is that overall, he knows what he is doing and his track record shows he puts winning teams on the field. There is not 1 GM ever who doesn't make bad choices.

Give up Bro... dude hates the Polians with a passion.

I agree he is in the top 3, but anyone would have to admit that our special teams and run defense have needed to by addressed for about 6 years now. Thats not being unfair, just factual.

You've got to be kidding me. Top 3? More like bottom three... Couldn't win a Super Bowl in Buffalo and now has one of the best quarterbacks of all time and has one ring to show for it. Somehow he's got to get better players and better coaching staff in here.

You've got to be kidding me. Top 3? More like bottom three... Couldn't win a Super Bowl in Buffalo and now has one of the best quarterbacks of all time and has one ring to show for it. Somehow he's got to get better players and better coaching staff in here.

Do you know how many teams in the NFL have NEVER been to a SB? They aren't easy to get to.....

Which using this logic the GM should build a complete team right?Especially given the well documented history of gagging on the biggest stage, right? Now I don't know what post season games you have been watching but I have seen Manning come up pretty big more often than not only to be shot down by a huge kick return or a long clock eating drive by the opposing offense or some other circumstance completely out of his control. I can count the choke jobs on 4 fingers,'01 Jets debacle(a whole team gag job), '03 Pats game, '04 Pats game(especially this one) and '05 Steelers. But to his defense he was facing some outstanding defenses that were filled with HOF talent and it's right at those times when it's important that the team's defense be capable of holding the opposition as what happened during the Ravens game in '06.

The facts are before our eyes, without Peyton this team is historically terrible and the potential for 0-16 is a very real possibilty, especially if they don't beat the Jags this weekend. The team has been exposed from top to bottom and is an easy target for quick laughs and jokes from the national pundits, just like it was before you know who arrived, and no I am not implying Polian here.

This team's success directly coincides with the play of Manning, the flaws have been known for years and teams consistantly play "keep away" from Manning by running straight down the D's throat week in and week out, and this team's record would be atrocious if Manning weren't able to do what he does with the very limited possessions he has to work with. Look that stat up, time of possession and number possessions per game and see which team ranks near the bottom for the last 10 years, that will give all of you Polian apologists a little something to chew on because possessions and possession time indicate how balanced a team is and how they can put thier collective will on to another team by dominating the ball. The bottom line is we have had the QB of the century at our disposal for 13 seasons and this FO has been complacent with properly addressing known problems to build this team up and maximize that asset and now here we are, near the end of the GOAT's career or at the end, and the same problems that stifled this man's greatness in the post season from the start of his career are the same as they were to end it. As a fan, and I will always be a fan no matter the record, coach, GM, etc.., this is the most unforgivable aspect of the actions or inactions of Polian and is what he needs to be taken to task for.

Now you have p... me off. First off any team in the nfl with peyton manning on the roster and healthy will make the playoffs. BP has relied on that for his quote great record. Take PM off of his team and he is exposed for what he is. If he is as good as you say he is, then why is this team the worst in history now. BP is only good if he has a PM. It certainly would seem so and for you to find fault with PM in the playoff games you apparently werent watching with the exception of one yr, our defense was decent and doing what they are suppose to do nothing more. For you to find fault with one player on the team and make a statement that he played subpar and that is the reason we lost is asinine. As for the real reason why we lost was that while we could get to the playoffs we as a team were not good enough to win. It doesnt just come down to a last play that PM didnt make or any play that one player didnt make that cost us. And for your stupid statement that PM was the reason for losing in college is even worse. You simply think that one player messing up is the reason those TN teams lost. I would suggest you talk to Cutclliff and find out the truth and that will be the team as a whole was not good enough. All I know is that last year PM who is so precious to BP career was beat up because of a weak OL. And maybe that is why he cant play this year. Well where is your great GM now. Losing his butt off. But according to you he is still a genius. And you my friend are totally full of horsefeathers. I dont really expect you to respond to this. You can quote all of the other teams in the nfl you want as to how they are doing, they seem to be doing just fine and they dont have a PM.

I was banned on a previous version of the forum for speaking out against Bill Polian. The guy is talented but lacks what it takes to win it all. He is 100% the most losing GM in SB History. He taught us that you don't play to win the game. The fact that he is a part of the competition committee is absurd after throwing what would have been a perfect season by benching starters. The team hasn't been the same since. I can't wait to hear comments from players post-retirement.

That aside, this guy is incredibly rude to the fans and blasts us for having an opinion.

I was banned on a previous version of the forum for speaking out against Bill Polian. The guy is talented but lacks what it takes to win it all. He is 100% the most losing GM in SB History. He taught us that you don't play to win the game. The fact that he is a part of the competition committee is absurd after throwing what would have been a perfect season by benching starters. The team hasn't been the same since. I can't wait to hear comments from players post-retirement. That aside, this guy is incredibly rude to the fans and blasts us for having an opinion.
And he has lost with probably the best QB ever.

Now you have p... me off.

If you check the poster history, that is his ammo and motive, to rile everyone possible, no matter which side of the discussion they are. You should check it out before committing your time to possibly 20 back and forths that are about to come. That is why, even if I agree with him, I don't post it because he will still find a way to disagree with anything said in response to his post.

Just letting you know in advance :).

I was banned on a previous version of the forum for speaking out against Bill Polian. The guy is talented but lacks what it takes to win it all. He is 100% the most losing GM in SB History. He taught us that you don't play to win the game. The fact that he is a part of the competition committee is absurd after throwing what would have been a perfect season by benching starters. The team hasn't been the same since. I can't wait to hear comments from players post-retirement.

That aside, this guy is incredibly rude to the fans and blasts us for having an opinion.

This is why I think we have lost more than won in the playoffs with Polian and Peyton.

Drafting for the trenches (DT and OL) and ST not being up to par with the elite teams plus hiring conservative coaches have hurt the Colts' chances in the playoffs, IMO. Plus, when you don't play elite Os all the time in the regular season, the bend-but-don't-break D can limit points more times than not and get you to the playoffs. But in a one game elimination for all the marbles, the elite O you face more likely makes you bend and break plus the elite D makes Peyton look human and add lousy ST to the equation, you have lower margins for error even Joe Montana will not be able to overcome. Brady is now facing what Peyton did, his margin for error with his current D is shrinking and he can only do so much by controlling the offense. When his D could get the ball back enough times increasing his margin for error in the early 2000s, life was definitely better. No QB can operate with a low margin of error consistently and win a high percentage of games in the playoffs.

Whether it is Jim Kelly or Peyton, it is easier to put up points in the warmer months but when it gets to December and later, that timing and no huddle outdoors has its limitations and the QB needs the OL and running game to fall back on. It is not a co-incidence that we made the SB both times we had the AFCCG at our place. The only time we did run the ball well throughout the playoffs in January was also the case that we won it all, including a rain soaked SB vs the Bears.

Edited by chad72

This is why I think we have lost more than won in the playoffs with Polian and Peyton.

Drafting for the trenches (DT and OL) and ST not being up to par with the elite teams plus hiring conservative coaches have hurt the Colts' chances in the playoffs, IMO. Plus, when you don't play elite Os all the time in the regular season, the bend-but-don't-break D can limit points more times than not and get you to the playoffs. But in a one game elimination for all the marbles, the elite O you face more likely makes you bend and break plus the elite D makes Peyton look human and add lousy ST to the equation, you have lower margins for error even Joe Montana will not be able to overcome. Brady is now facing what Peyton did, his margin for error with his current D is shrinking and he can only do so much by controlling the offense. When his D could get the ball back enough times increasing his margin for error in the early 2000s, life was definitely better. No QB can operate with a low margin of error consistently and win a high percentage of games in the playoffs.

Whether it is Jim Kelly or Peyton, it is easier to put up points in the warmer months but when it gets to December and later, that timing and no huddle outdoors has its limitations and the QB needs the OL and running game to fall back on. It is not a co-incidence that we made the SB both times we had the AFCCG at our place. The only time we did run the ball well throughout the playoffs in January was also the case that we won it all, including a rain soaked SB vs the Bears.

Well put. Also, playing in the AFC South helped inflate that win percentage over the years.

This is totally horsefeathers. A pro can play in any kind of weather and that is what makes them a pro. If according to you that PM can only play in warm weather then you are full of horsefeathers.

This is totally horsefeathers. A pro can play in any kind of weather and that is what makes them a pro. If according to you that PM can only play in warm weather then you are full of horsefeathers.

I didn't say he cannot play in cold weather, I said the timing offense has its limitations in snow and rain and one has to take care of the ball more and hence have to be reliant on the running game more in bad/cold weather conditions. Our SB run proved that theory with the running game vs the Bears in the SB and the Ravens in the divisional playoff game, our clunkers in Foxboro are proof of them as well in the playoffs when we could not run it well enough.

Edited by chad72

Just 4

The new Browns (the old browns became the Ravens and won in 2000)

Lions

Jags

Texans.

So 3 expansion teams, and the Lions.

I'd agree the better arugment is the number of teams that have never won one then include those four and add:

Bills, Bengals, Titans, Chargers, Eagles, Vikings, Falcons, Panthers, Seahawks, and Cards. So 14 teams or pretty much half the league.

this is the most asinine comment I've read on this site yet, and that's including all of dn's posts. I have no "man crush" on Polian, but I also don't think he's the antichrist. I do, however, have a brain, common sense and enough logic to see that Polian is not solely responsible for the current predicament and I realize that some people are just upset with the current record and need someone to blame.. Hate who you want and think what you want...I could really care less.

Edited by Jason

I'd agree the better arugment is the number of teams that have never won one then include those four and add:

Bills, Bengals, Titans, Chargers, Eagles, Vikings, Falcons, Panthers, Seahawks, and Cards. So 14 teams or pretty much half the league.

Well hey now, the Eagles won the NFL championship in 1948,1949, AND 1960

:rules:

I didn't say he cannot play in cold weather, I said the timing offense has its limitations in snow and rain and one has to take care of the ball more and hence have to be reliant on the running game more in bad/cold weather conditions. Our SB run proved that theory with the running game vs the Bears in the SB and the Ravens in the divisional playoff game, our clunkers in Foxboro are proof of them as well in the playoffs when we could not run it well enough.

Our clunkers in New England proved that the rules had to change on hitting our wide receivers and holding them. BB played the system and held our receivers and the refs did not mind during those games. And we didnt have a decent defense to help. "That is why we lost. Not because it was cold. and above all NE had a better team on defense and it showed. We couldnt stop nothing. and that doesnt matter to you does it.

In all honesty, I appreciate that Bill has turned this franchise around, but I've always been a post-season guy. I was more concerned with us improving our post-season success rather than breaking regular season records. I know some people will flame me and point out the Steelers success in the post-season despite missing the playoffs a couple of times but truthfully, I would want that rather than the regular season success. I guess it's all about preference on that topic, but that's my input.

No one remembers the regular season records unless it's 16-0 or 0-16. All that other crap will be forgotten in the next decade.

Okay so it's Bill fault we are bad this season, then it also must be his good moves that put this team in the position it has been for the past decade. You get the good and the bad....

This years proves that the only good move he ever made here was drafting Manning. Otherwise, he put together possibly one of the worst football teams in NFL history.

Our clunkers in New England proved that the rules had to change on hitting our wide receivers and holding them. BB played the system and held our receivers and the refs did not mind during those games. And we didnt have a decent defense to help. "That is why we lost. Not because it was cold. and above all NE had a better team on defense and it showed. We couldnt stop nothing. and that doesnt matter to you does it.

That is the typical complaint, blame it all on the refs, the Pats completed passes with the same rules too and our coaches did not adapt, did they? This is why Pats fans call us Colts fans pansies for crying and moaning about rules. I refuse to be one like that, so I will tell it like I saw it. That concept of BB jamming WRs goes back to the Buffalo Bills days, yeah, the very reason that got Polian on the competition committee riled up enough to change the enforcement of the rules that has resulted in this passing league we see now. Belichick was DC of the Giants under Bill Parcells and when he played Polian's Bills in the SB, he did the same thing, jam the wideouts big time and make life difficult and force Kelly's RB Thurman Thomas to get the hard yards and beat them on the ground. It slowed down the Bills offense and kept the Giants in the game in both SBs which they ended up winning.

The first game at Foxboro, yeah, BB and his D held us but we still couldn't run squat to save our lives even if we tried. Yes, the weather being cold did dictate not throwing the ball on long routes in the heavy air too often and Peyton made ill advised throws into windows he should not have thrown resulting in 4 picks instead of taking checkdowns in that weather, the holding was just one of the reasons we lost, not the main reason. Brady dinked and dunked all day when he had to throw but they ran the ball a lot of the time because such weather conditions dictate that. So yes, the weather does dictate playcalling and relying on the run and short passes in your playcalling is necessary. The second game, we played more conservative because the field was messed up and Belichick left it that way knowing that it would hamper our passing offense and timing forcing us to run the ball more in the cold and nasty weather and field conditions. But we could not run the ball well enough again and neither could we stop the run. So, essentially, our team was not built well enough to play in such conditions, offensively or defensively. So yes, the weather has been a factor that we could not overcome in both those Foxboro losses. I stand by that.

When our team was worse, we lost even worse, 0-41 to the Jets on a 27 degree day at the Meadowlands in the 2002 playoffs, if I remember right.

The Saints, if you haven't noticed under Brees, are yet to win a road playoff game. It has been the case with dome teams in the playoffs generally. Here is an article that describes that.

http://sportsillustr...omes/index.html

Edited by chad72

this is the most asinine comment I've read on this site yet, and that's including all of dn's posts. I have no "man crush" on Polian, but I also don't think he's the antichrist. I do, however, have a brain, common sense and enough logic to see that Polian is not solely responsible for the current predicament and I realize that some people are just upset with the current record and need someone to blame.. Hate who you want and think what you want...I could really care less.

Take it easy pal. It's just a forum, so no need to get your boxers in a bundle. And for the record, Bill Belicheck is the Anti-Christ.

Oh, and have I told you the whole Polian fabricated radio show is one of the most pompous and arrogant debacles in sport? Really, it is, and I can't even believe that any Polian fan would even try to defend that.

Just sayin'....

Take it easy pal. It's just a forum, so no need to get your boxers in a bundle. And for the record, Bill Belicheck is the Anti-Christ.

Oh, and have I told you the whole Polian fabricated radio show is one of the most pompous and arrogant debacles in sport? Really, it is, and I can't even believe that any Polian fan would even try to defend that.

Just sayin'....

Thank you for clearing up that this is a public forum...I had no idea. I am not now nor was I ever upset at your comment nor personally insulted though it certainly appeared that was the intent of your post. For the record, if you make asinine comments and/or assumptions then you're going to get replies like the one I gave. My boxers are fine incidentally. I don't care enough about your opinion or comments to get my boxers in a bundle over something you said. I was simply pointing out the absurdity of your post and the assumptions made in it. ;)

Thank you for clearing up that this is a public forum...I had no idea. I am not now nor was I ever upset at your comment nor personally insulted though it certainly appeared that was the intent of your post. For the record, if you make asinine comments and/or assumptions then you're going to get replies like the one I gave. My boxers are fine incidentally. I don't care enough about your opinion or comments to get my boxers in a bundle over something you said. I was simply pointing out the absurdity of your post and the assumptions made in it. ;)

I hear ya. Have a good day.

Another point that has to be taken into consideration with Polian is how he splits the fanbase. A good company guy trys to unite, not divide and I see alot of us Colts fans arguing over how great/stupid this man is and how wonderful/terrible he has been to the franchise. His hits and misses can be debated as nauseum but the fact of his arrogance and pompous nature splits the fan base is an undeniable fact.

Another point that has to be taken into consideration with Polian is how he splits the fanbase. A good company guy trys to unite, not divide and I see alot of us Colts fans arguing over how great/stupid this man is and how wonderful/terrible he has been to the franchise. His hits and misses can be debated as nauseum but the fact of his arrogance and pompous nature splits the fan base is an undeniable fact.

To me, Bill Polian is like a Dr.House in real life. The jerk of a doctor that gets it enough times (though Dr.House get is right most of the time :)) but is way too sharp around the edges with his words to let the good sink in and undoes his own good. Chris Polian is left to deal with the collateral damage from his Dad's words.

So now you're saying it's everyone's fault but Polian. Wow!

No what I am saying is what is happening should have been expected. I can't figure out why people are so upset because we are having 1 down season at this point. I am also waiting for some people here to recognize that all the blame isn't on the coaches and mag't and that the players need to be held accountable also.

Can you please list off the GM's who have built as many Super Bowl teams as Polian? Are you saying that it's the GM's job to win the games also? As for picking coaches, I think again Polians track record is pretty good at doing that also. As for only 1 SB win with Peyton, I'm sorry but if you review the playoff games and SB games we didn't win I think you will less then steller performances in many of those games by Peyton. How is that Polian's fault?

Which using this logic the GM should build a complete team right?Especially given the well documented history of gagging on the biggest stage, right? Now I don't know what post season games you have been watching but I have seen Manning come up pretty big more often than not only to be shot down by a huge kick return or a long clock eating drive by the opposing offense or some other circumstance completely out of his control. I can count the choke jobs on 4 fingers,'01 Jets debacle(a whole team gag job), '03 Pats game, '04 Pats game(especially this one) and '05 Steelers. But to his defense he was facing some outstanding defenses that were filled with HOF talent and it's right at those times when it's important that the team's defense be capable of holding the opposition as what happened during the Ravens game in '06.

The facts are before our eyes, without Peyton this team is historically terrible and the potential for 0-16 is a very real possibilty, especially if they don't beat the Jags this weekend. The team has been exposed from top to bottom and is an easy target for quick laughs and jokes from the national pundits, just like it was before you know who arrived, and no I am not implying Polian here.

This team's success directly coincides with the play of Manning, the flaws have been known for years and teams consistantly play "keep away" from Manning by running straight down the D's throat week in and week out, and this team's record would be atrocious if Manning weren't able to do what he does with the very limited possessions he has to work with. Look that stat up, time of possession and number possessions per game and see which team ranks near the bottom for the last 10 years, that will give all of you Polian apologists a little something to chew on because possessions and possession time indicate how balanced a team is and how they can put thier collective will on to another team by dominating the ball. The bottom line is we have had the QB of the century at our disposal for 13 seasons and this FO has been complacent with properly addressing known problems to build this team up and maximize that asset and now here we are, near the end of the GOAT's career or at the end, and the same problems that stifled this man's greatness in the post season from the start of his career are the same as they were to end it. As a fan, and I will always be a fan no matter the record, coach, GM, etc.., this is the most unforgivable aspect of the actions or inactions of Polian and is what he needs to be taken to task for.

when you have 1 players taking up a HUGE portion of your salary cap space and you have say 3-4 other players also eating up huge portions of that salary cap limit, it is very tough to build a "well bananced" team. Maybe if those players were either allowed to leave or taken less money there would have been more monies available to build a more balanced team.