Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Polian?

colts52761

Now you have p... me off. First off any team in the nfl with peyton manning on the roster and healthy will make the playoffs. BP has relied on that for his quote great record. Take PM off of his team and he is exposed for what he is. If he is as good as you say he is, then why is this team the worst in history now. BP is only good if he has a PM. It certainly would seem so and for you to find fault with PM in the playoff games you apparently werent watching with the exception of one yr, our defense was decent and doing what they are suppose to do nothing more. For you to find fault with one player on the team and make a statement that he played subpar and that is the reason we lost is asinine. As for the real reason why we lost was that while we could get to the playoffs we as a team were not good enough to win. It doesnt just come down to a last play that PM didnt make or any play that one player didnt make that cost us. And for your stupid statement that PM was the reason for losing in college is even worse. You simply think that one player messing up is the reason those TN teams lost. I would suggest you talk to Cutclliff and find out the truth and that will be the team as a whole was not good enough. All I know is that last year PM who is so precious to BP career was beat up because of a weak OL. And maybe that is why he cant play this year. Well where is your great GM now. Losing his butt off. But according to you he is still a genius. And you my friend are totally full of horsefeathers. I dont really expect you to respond to this. You can quote all of the other teams in the nfl you want as to how they are doing, they seem to be doing just fine and they dont have a PM.

Numbers don't lie and Peyton has not performed as well overall in the playoffs as his numbers are in the regular season. They had the same exact players and yet his numbers dropped off. In the year we won the SB, in no way did Peyton light it up over that run in the playoffs. He had a very good game against NE in the second half, but the Balitmore game was won due to our Kicker and defense and in the SB we won because of our ability to run the ball and a great play by our defense.

Polian has built a number of winning teams, not just those here in Indy, a GM's job is to get the talent, it is then up to the players to perform. The lack of SB wins by the Colts lays at the feet of the players....not the GM.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was banned on a previous version of the forum for speaking out against Bill Polian. The guy is talented but lacks what it takes to win it all. He is 100% the most losing GM in SB History. He taught us that you don't play to win the game. The fact that he is a part of the competition committee is absurd after throwing what would have been a perfect season by benching starters. The team hasn't been the same since. I can't wait to hear comments from players post-retirement.

That aside, this guy is incredibly rude to the fans and blasts us for having an opinion.

To be the most losing GM in SB history means you have put together more teams that have made the SB then any other GM in the NFL history. The role of the GM is to put the talent together that can win, if you review Bill Polians' entire resume you will see his teams have done that, their inability to win the SB is on the players/coaches, not on the GM.

This is why I think we have lost more than won in the playoffs with Polian and Peyton.

Drafting for the trenches (DT and OL) and ST not being up to par with the elite teams plus hiring conservative coaches have hurt the Colts' chances in the playoffs, IMO. Plus, when you don't play elite Os all the time in the regular season, the bend-but-don't-break D can limit points more times than not and get you to the playoffs. But in a one game elimination for all the marbles, the elite O you face more likely makes you bend and break plus the elite D makes Peyton look human and add lousy ST to the equation, you have lower margins for error even Joe Montana will not be able to overcome. Brady is now facing what Peyton did, his margin for error with his current D is shrinking and he can only do so much by controlling the offense. When his D could get the ball back enough times increasing his margin for error in the early 2000s, life was definitely better. No QB can operate with a low margin of error consistently and win a high percentage of games in the playoffs.

Whether it is Jim Kelly or Peyton, it is easier to put up points in the warmer months but when it gets to December and later, that timing and no huddle outdoors has its limitations and the QB needs the OL and running game to fall back on. It is not a co-incidence that we made the SB both times we had the AFCCG at our place. The only time we did run the ball well throughout the playoffs in January was also the case that we won it all, including a rain soaked SB vs the Bears.

His team in Buffalo had a HOF RB and a pretty good running game, I mean you don't become a HOF running back if your team isn't good running the ball. Here in Indy we have had some very good running backs and a effective running game more seasons then not. Are we a pounding running team? No, you have Peyton Manning, you are going to be a passing team.

and you think BP or Chris will be successful without PM. Maybe they think that AL is their saviour. I certainly hope so but I sincerely doubt it. And they will be gone just like all of the other places Bill has been.

Bill was successful in Carolina, what HUGE HOF QB did he have there?

This years proves that the only good move he ever made here was drafting Manning. Otherwise, he put together possibly one of the worst football teams in NFL history.

Really how many TD's did Peyton score in his career, what is his sack total or yards gained rushing or interceptions in a season. To think this teams total success is due JUST to Peyton is laughable and an insult to the other players who have played for the Colts over the past decade.

Edited by dn4192

Another point that has to be taken into consideration with Polian is how he splits the fanbase. A good company guy trys to unite, not divide and I see alot of us Colts fans arguing over how great/stupid this man is and how wonderful/terrible he has been to the franchise. His hits and misses can be debated as nauseum but the fact of his arrogance and pompous nature splits the fan base is an undeniable fact.

What does it matter what he says? Why do people get their undies in a bunch over what the team GM says on his show? Also what does it matter that he has a show. If you don't like it....don't watch it.

Really how many TD's did Peyton score in his career, what is his sack total or yards gained rushing or interceptions in a season. To think this teams total success is due JUST to Peyton is laughable and an insult to the other players who have played for the Colts over the past decade.

You'd think that, until the go 0-9 and can't seem to do anything.......hmmmm......

You'd think that, until the go 0-9 and can't seem to do anything.......hmmmm......

they are not winning because our present QB is horrible. Put just an average QB in their and we are not 0-9. Now is it the fault of Polian that we have Painter...yep and he should be held accountable for not having a better backup QB.

What does it matter what he says? Why do people get their undies in a bunch over what the team GM says on his show? Also what does it matter that he has a show. If you don't like it....don't watch it.

Having media shows is not the function of the GM. They work quietly behind the scenes unseen almost all of the time.

Most fans can't name 6 of them and that is by design. The GM is there to support the show not be it.

I don't but the nonsense he spews out reaches print and I do read alot, just read "The Polian Corner" posted on this sites home page. The man just needs to shut up and focus on rebuilding this team, take the criticism like a man because when the team has fallen this hard this fast it is due and justified. If he can't take the heat he needs to move on, he needs to present himself above the spin and hold himself with a little more dignity and class, offer an olive branch instead of thrown daggers back at the pundits. His whole blowups when presented with anything that does not praise him is downright borish and childish. Also, I am responding to and quoting you because you seem to want to follow this man off a cliff, are you a relative?? With the recent tweets from the owner I do believe he has had about enough of the antics as well, and with this I do believe that you sir are in the very small minority of those who worship this guy and find his actions acceptable. Long drawn out response in defense of Polian in 3.....2.....1.....

Having media shows is not the function of the GM. They work quietly behind the scenes unseen almost all of the time.

Most fans can't name 6 of them and that is by design. The GM is there to support the show not be it.

Says who? Where is that rule written?

I don't but the nonsense he spews out reaches print and I do read alot, just read "The Polian Corner" posted on this sites home page. The man just needs to shut up and focus on rebuilding this team, take the criticism like a man because when the team has fallen this hard this fast it is due and justified. If he can't take the heat he needs to move on, he needs to present himself above the spin and hold himself with a little more dignity and class, offer an olive branch instead of thrown daggers back at the pundits. His whole blowups when presented with anything that does not praise him is downright borish and childish. Also, I am responding to and quoting you because you seem to want to follow this man off a cliff, are you a relative?? With the recent tweets from the owner I do believe he has had about enough of the antics as well, and with this I do believe that you sir are in the very small minority of those who worship this guy and find his actions acceptable. Long drawn out response in defense of Polian in 3.....2.....1.....

Nothing long..just really simple...It's no big deal and I don't see Irsay removing him anytime soon.

Nothing long..just really simple...It's no big deal and I don't see Irsay removing him anytime soon.

I don't either. I do believe that in Irsay's eyes he has earned another chance based on his past and with his help on delivering a trophy to Indy, but I do believe the leash will get a little shorter. Losing is not something he tolerates too well, has been that way since he took over ownership.

Or could it be we have a great QB who for whatever reason throughout his career just doesn't come up big in big games especially the playoffs. Even in the season we won the SB, Peyton had some nice games in that playoff run, but nothing that makes you go OMG. Look back in his college career and you see the same thing.

Do you have any idea how many records Peyton set at the University of Tennessee? Yeah, yeah...I know...you are going to say "the big one". Careers are taken as a whole pie, not a tiny sliver of a piece.

I cannot help but wonder what in the world you have against Peyton Manning. :dunno: Geez, even the most die-hard Patriots fan will give him his dues.

Do you have any idea how many records Peyton set at the University of Tennessee? Yeah, yeah...I know...you are going to say "the big one". Careers are taken as a whole pie, not a tiny sliver of a piece.

I cannot help but wonder what in the world you have against Peyton Manning. :dunno: Geez, even the most die-hard Patriots fan will give him his dues.

I have nothing against Peyton and thank him for a wonderful last 10+ seasons and hope he can come back and have a couple more quality seasons, but I am also a realist in that he doesn't have that many seasons left and one of his knocks when his career is over is that he didn't always shine in big games.

they are not winning because our present QB is horrible. Put just an average QB in their and we are not 0-9. Now is it the fault of Polian that we have Painter...yep and he should be held accountable for not having a better backup QB.

I actually love Polian and think he has done an amazing job, but I do realize there are issues with the team. However, I don't think this season can be laid at the feet of Painter.

We have had an average QB in there (Collins) and Orlovsky has also played some. Did they fare much better? Did they bring back a W? Nope.

The whole team and coaching staff need some assistance and upgrades in spots to be championship ready when Peyton returns. He doesn't need to be the entire team anymore.

I hope Bill (or Chris) can do that.

I don't either. I do believe that in Irsay's eyes he has earned another chance based on his past and with his help on delivering a trophy to Indy, but I do believe the leash will get a little shorter. Losing is not something he tolerates too well, has been that way since he took over ownership.

I totally agree, if Peyton comes back say at near 100% next year and the Colts don't win between 10-12 games and there are clear struggles I can see major changes happen, but if Peyton doesn't return, I can see Irsay giving Polian(s) a few seasons to get things back on track.

I have nothing against Peyton and thank him for a wonderful last 10+ seasons and hope he can come back and have a couple more quality seasons, but I am also a realist in that he doesn't have that many seasons left and one of his knocks when his career is over is that he didn't always shine in big games.

But you said the other day that you hoped you never saw him in a Colts uniform ever again. :???:

I actually love Polian and think he has done an amazing job, but I do realize there are issues with the team. However, I don't think this season can be laid at the feet of Painter.

We have had an average QB in there (Collins) and Orlovsky has also played some. Did they fare much better? Did they bring back a W? Nope.

The whole team and coaching staff need some assistance and upgrades in spots to be championship ready when Peyton returns. He doesn't need to be the entire team anymore.

I hope Bill (or Chris) can do that.

How much actual game time this season has Orlovsky actually played? That is why I would start him this weekend and see what happens. I also don't blame Painter, it's not his fault that he has very, very limted abilities himself. He wasn't that good in college and really doesn't have a pro game in my opinion.

But you said the other day that you hoped you never saw him in a Colts uniform ever again. :???:

I don't believe so, I would hope he can come back and "teach" his replacement for a season or two then we either trade him, he retires or we trade him and we move on.

I don't believe so, I would hope he can come back and "teach" his replacement for a season or two then we either trade him, he retires or we trade him and we move on.

Actually you did....or a reasonable facsimilie thereof. ;)

Yes Peyton may play for 4-5 or 6 more years...I just hope it's not in a Colt uniform...

http://forums.colts....bill-of-health/

You also go out of your way to call him greedy and talk about his lack of abilities. I just don't understand, I guess. But to each, his or her own.

Just to get back on topic, overall...I think Polian has done a good job. The Colts have been the winningest team during his tenure and I count overall, not just SBs because only one team gets there each season. 1 out of 32. Some have never won. We have. I am thankful for that.

Posted · Hidden by Peytongirl, November 10, 2011 - disrespectful to another poster
Hidden by Peytongirl, November 10, 2011 - disrespectful to another poster

This is to dn4192. I have got you figured out. You have put an application in to BP for a job and all of your posts are included. You want to prove to him that you are a good company man and you know what that means dont you. Your nose is so brown you cant hide it. You are not a honest colts fan. you want to just keep stirring the pot and hope with all your posts that B will take notice of you and give you a job. And you can kya especially when you say that PM wasnt that good in the playoffs and BP is a tremendously good Gm for his record. You are so full of horse feathers and Im not going to respond to your nonsense any more and I hope no body else will as well. When you blame PM as just one person not having a good game and you go all the way back to college and quote that he choked in the big games and that is a reason why BP is not to blame you are so full of crap and you know it. Ive been working today youve been posting on about any thread that finds fault with BP today. Do you have a job? Why dont you take a hike.

You're. Put an average QB in there and we are maybe 3-6 or 2-7. This team is horrible. I don't even think a top tier QB can throw behind that putrid line without a running game.

Bill was successful in Carolina, what HUGE HOF QB did he have there?

didnt need one, had a whole lot of picks for an expansion team. and if he is so great why is he not still there. MOst of the folks i know that do a good job are still working at the same place. I promise you that is the ones that dont move on. Why has BP moved on. Especially for Buffalo. Can you really tell me why he left cause he had one heck of a record.

Or could it be we have a great QB who for whatever reason throughout his career just doesn't come up big in big games especially the playoffs. Even in the season we won the SB, Peyton had some nice games in that playoff run, but nothing that makes you go OMG. Look back in his college career and you see the same thing.

Your posts are so darn contradicting

when we are on the discussion of 0-9 you claim that its just one bad season and we have been to two super bowls, countless winning seasons etc. blah blah but go on to mistakenly accuse Peyton not coming up big in the playoffs.

First lets drill it into your head, Peyton Manning does not equal the entire Colts team. Playoffs are just like the regular season, everyone needs to play at a high level and execute to win the game and Peyton is no exception. Just because Peyton has a poor game doesn't mean he can't win in the playoffs. Peyton does not play defense or special teams.

Please tell me why Peyton had a 108 qb rating against the Jets, lead the team to the potentially GW field goal and we still lost? Must be Peytons fault.

In 2009 Peyton lead us to the Super Bowl with fairly good numbers against two top defenses. His QB rating in the Super Bowl loss was higher than his rating in his Super Bowl win. Did Peyton play on special teams to prevent that onside kick? Did Peyton run the wrong route that resulted in a pick 6?

In 2008 Peyton didn't turn over the ball once against the Chargers, threw for 300+ yds and a 90 qb rating yet lost. The game went to OT and Peyton never had a chance. Sproles completely gashed our defense and we lost. That 20+ yd TD run sealed the victory.

In 2007 Peyton threw for 400+ yards had a 97 QB rating and still lost. Guess who we lost to by the way. Billy Volek. Is Peyton supposed to play defense against Billy Volek? Our highly touted defense that year couldn't stop Billy Volek!

In 2005 Peyton didn;t turn the ball over once had a 90+ QB rating against the Steelers, put us in the position for a game tying FG that vanderjagt should have made. Is Peyton a kicker?

Peytons worst losses were in '03 and '04 against the Pats and forever tainted his playoff image. People forget he had a 145 QB rating against the Broncos.

Or in 2003 158.3 against the Broncos, 138.8 against the Chiefs, that's not coming up big?

Did you know Peytons playoff QB Rating is higher than Bradys? Oh wait Brady must never come up big in the playoffs :wall:

Your logic is absolutely terrible.And I cannot believe you just compared the collegiate playoff system to the NFL I am facepalming right now.

Edited by ssarow

And the rest of the team did. :edit:

And the rest of the team did. you are so it :edit:.

I am fairly convinced he is a troll

he once made a post stating how Peyton wasn't a great passer because he didn't have a tight spiral on his ball when he threw it

I mean cmon seriously?

Posted · Hidden by Peytongirl, November 11, 2011 - not necessary
Hidden by Peytongirl, November 11, 2011 - not necessary

he once made a post stating how Peyton wasn't a great passer because he didn't have a tight spiral on his ball when he threw it

I mean cmon seriously?

Troll? Maybe

Educated about football? Not a bit!

Your posts are so darn contradicting

when we are on the discussion of 0-9 you claim that its just one bad season and we have been to two super bowls, countless winning seasons etc. blah blah but go on to mistakenly accuse Peyton not coming up big in the playoffs.

First lets drill it into your head, Peyton Manning does not equal the entire Colts team. Playoffs are just like the regular season, everyone needs to play at a high level and execute to win the game and Peyton is no exception. Just because Peyton has a poor game doesn't mean he can't win in the playoffs. Peyton does not play defense or special teams.

Please tell me why Peyton had a 108 qb rating against the Jets, lead the team to the potentially GW field goal and we still lost? Must be Peytons fault.

In 2009 Peyton lead us to the Super Bowl with fairly good numbers against two top defenses. His QB rating in the Super Bowl loss was higher than his rating in his Super Bowl win. Did Peyton play on special teams to prevent that onside kick? Did Peyton run the wrong route that resulted in a pick 6?

In 2008 Peyton didn't turn over the ball once against the Chargers, threw for 300+ yds and a 90 qb rating yet lost. The game went to OT and Peyton never had a chance. Sproles completely gashed our defense and we lost. That 20+ yd TD run sealed the victory.

In 2007 Peyton threw for 400+ yards had a 97 QB rating and still lost. Guess who we lost to by the way. Billy Volek. Is Peyton supposed to play defense against Billy Volek? Our highly touted defense that year couldn't stop Billy Volek!

In 2005 Peyton didn;t turn the ball over once had a 90+ QB rating against the Steelers, put us in the position for a game tying FG that vanderjagt should have made. Is Peyton a kicker?

Peytons worst losses were in '03 and '04 against the Pats and forever tainted his playoff image. People forget he had a 145 QB rating against the Broncos.

Or in 2003 158.3 against the Broncos, 138.8 against the Chiefs, that's not coming up big?

Did you know Peytons playoff QB Rating is higher than Bradys? Oh wait Brady must never come up big in the playoffs :wall:

Your logic is absolutely terrible.And I cannot believe you just compared the collegiate playoff system to the NFL I am facepalming right now.

Not to mention That the when the Patriots & Colts play the same team in the same season, Manning has better #'s but Brady has a better record.

From another thread:

Common opponents 2001-2007 & 2009-2010, Manning has better #'s than Brady, yet Brady has more wins. Why? better team.

The difference in games played is that Manning started against he Jets twice in 2001, while Brady started against them once(entering the game Bledsoe was injured).

PPG

Colts 24.5

Pats 23.0

Pts Allowed

Colts 22.8

Pats 17.1

Stat Lines

Manning 1209/1835 65.9% 13953 yards 86 td 56 int qb rating of 91.6

Brady 1016/1638 62.0% 11357 yards 73 td 30 int qb rating of 89.9

Manning has lost 7 times when the Colts score 30+ points.

Brady has lost 2 times when the Patriots score 30+ points.

I mean cmon seriously?

You are totally mistaken if you think that I posted what you said. I have lived in Tn for almost all of my life and I have not just been watching PM because he always throws a great spiral. I would hate to think that I was running for president and have you throw out what you just said because you are 100% wrong. Only Im going to have to let it go and...*mod edited*

You are totally mistaken if you think that I posted what you said. I have lived in Tn for almost all of my life and I have not just been watching PM because he always throws a great spiral. I would hate to think that I was running for president and have you throw out what you just said because you are 100% wrong. Only Im going to have to let it go and hope that most people on this forum are not as dishonest as you.

He's talking about 1492.

You are totally mistaken if you think that I posted what you said. I have lived in Tn for almost all of my life and I have not just been watching PM because he always throws a great spiral. I would hate to think that I was running for president and have you throw out what you just said because you are 100% wrong. Only Im going to have to let it go and hope that most people on this forum are not as dishonest as you.

Yeah, ssarow was talking about dn4192..not you. Just to clarify. :) Sometimes it is hard when all of the replies and quotes don't show up.

You and ssarow are in agreement on things.

Several people figured out weeks ago that dn is a troll, but that was simply because we were fortunate enough (definitely not the right word) to discuss issues with him earlier than others so I could see it taking longer for some people to see it. But he's been contradicting the crap out of himself for weeks now and every thread he's started has been with the sole purpose of creating further tension or being deliberately argumentative. Even following his posts within the same thread it's hard to see what side he's on because he contradicts himself so much by simply arguing with every single person who responds, and often times his arguing puts him on both sides of the debate. He has no side other than his own and he'd argue that milk comes from chickens just to amuse himself and tick other people off.

Edited by Jason

Several people figured out weeks ago that dn is a troll, but that was simply because we were fortunate enough (definitely not the right word) to discuss issues with him earlier than others so I could see it taking longer for some people to see it. But he's been contradicting the crap out of himself for weeks now and every thread he's started has been with the sole purpose of creating further tension or being deliberately argumentative. Even following his posts within the same thread it's hard to see what side he's on because he contradicts himself so much by simply arguing with every single person who responds, and often times his arguing puts him on both sides of the debate. He has no side other than his own and he'd argue that milk comes from chickens just to amuse himself and tick other people off.

Hey Jason. We agree on something! Perhaps the beginning of a lasting forum friendship!

*deleted quote box of a previously deleted comment*

Count me in on the 'ignore' 4192 strategy. Once he has no one to argue with, he'll go back to Tampa Land. Well outed PGirl.

Hey, all I did was try to straighten out a communication misunderstanding due to lack of quote boxes between utall and ssarow. :D

Apparently, I am a slow learner too, but I do eventually figure it out. I'll try not to be baited by DN's tactics evermore.

GO COLTS! (fire caldwell!)

But you said in another thread that the regular season is more important than the playoffs/SB.

lolwut