Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Polian?

colts52761

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I have heard it before, the head coach tells Bill Polian what type of players he needs, and Bill Polian gets them. If the Cotls were playing a 3-4, Polian woudl be getting big linebackers. But with Tony Dungy coming in, Polian had to get get small, fast players who fit the Tampa-2 defense. And the offensive players who fit Tom Moores offense. I doubt Polian, on his own, just picks a player because he envisions him fitting into a system in someway.

So if when the Colts pick comes up, if there isn't a type of player available he feels is at that value, he won't pick him. Everyone keeps says "Why don't we get a big, run stuffing DT". If Dungy didn't feel we needed that, Polian wouldn't get that.

I think a perfect example is this years draft. We have have a new offensive line coach who wanted bigger, more physical players. And that is exactly who the Polians got.

As I have heard it before, the head coach tells Bill Polian what type of players he needs, and Bill Polian gets them. If the Cotls were playing a 3-4, Polian woudl be getting big linebackers. But with Tony Dungy coming in, Polian had to get get small, fast players who fit the Tampa-2 defense. And the offensive players who fit Tom Moores offense. I doubt Polian, on his own, just picks a player because he envisions him fitting into a system in someway.

So if when the Colts pick comes up, if there isn't a type of player available he feels is at that value, he won't pick him. Everyone keeps says "Why don't we get a big, run stuffing DT". If Dungy didn't feel we needed that, Polian wouldn't get that.

I think a perfect example is this years draft. We have have a new offensive line coach who wanted bigger, more physical players. And that is exactly who the Polians got.

polian to the small fast player type to the extreme.......

Been hearing this tired bit for many years now. There is no such thing as a perfect team, which is what you seem to want. These darn imperfections got you mad at Polian? Are you sick of this success? In the last five years we have 2 AFC Championships and a Super Bowl. We go to the playoffs every year and you still want to complain about imperfections? C'mon.....really?

I'm no Polian fan-boy, but I ain't about to cast dispersions at him until this team falls into a multi-year slump.

Agreed. Polian is not without his faults but he is the architect of the Manning-era Colts who have by and large been very successful for over the past decade. His past successes buy him a chance to try to get this current situation turned around in my opinion. He has had some very low draft slots to work with the past few years and has definitely whiffed some recently. However, lets see what he can do this year with a much higher draft slot. His track record is pretty good picking high in the draft. I wonder though just how much this upcoming draft will be Bill vs. his son Chris. IMO, I'd feel more comfortable if Bill was taking the lead as Chris is still unproven.

Football-for-Dummies-Long-Howie-9780470125366.jpg

My brother sent one of these to Caldwell. Wonder if Barnes & Noble has an extra copy?

These things work. I went to high school with a kid who was a track guy who was pretty good but never the best. He made the football team, bought this book, and the next thing you know he's a WR at Ball State.

With this book, I'd bet you Caldwell could get a job there too!

our big weakness is o-line and dt , he has tried to fix it, just dosent always work out, this is football, dont know till you try it, at least he tried to fix it in the draft, who would have thought casto would be awkard and clumbsy and slow? sports people said he was good,will he will get better so we dont get any more qbs with neck trauma?

our big weakness is o-line and dt , he has tried to fix it, just dosent always work out, this is football, dont know till you try it, at least he tried to fix it in the draft, who would have thought casto would be awkard and clumbsy and slow? sports people said he was good,will he will get better so we dont get any more qbs with neck trauma?

It's Bill Polian's JOB to know. He runs the franchise and is in charge of putting the team on the field. It is his job.

A lot of the so called experts said to take Leaf over Manning too.

It's Bill Polian's JOB to know. He runs the franchise and is in charge of putting the team on the field. It is his job.

A lot of the so called experts said to take Leaf over Manning too.

Nearly right. It's Bill's job to mess-up, then go on his radio show and berate anyone who dares to criticise, and quote some random saying by Marv Levy.