Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gee, Houston Won With A Third String Qb, Why Can't We?

sfergson727

So, we now know that losing your starting QB doesn't mean you have to lose. Houston won today despite losing their two QB's, down to their rookie third string. The bears so far, are holding their own...We'll see in a couple hours where they stand. You would think that we could at least win one game with a backup, wouldn't you? I mean given the talent of the teams we've played this year, we should have been able to stumble to victory in at least one.

Some of you who defend Caldwell, I'm sorry, but your arguments don't hold water. The Colt's ineptness goes far beyond losing Peyton, and far beyond shoddy special teams. The team we see today was made over the last few seasons with poor front office moves, and poor coaching. You can argue the point, but the proof is in the pudding. 0-11.

Pathetic.

So, we now know that losing your starting QB doesn't mean you have to lose. Houston won today despite losing their two QB's, down to their rookie third string. The bears so far, are holding their own...We'll see in a couple hours where they stand. You would think that we could at least win one game with a backup, wouldn't you? I mean given the talent of the teams we've played this year, we should have been able to stumble to victory in at least one.

Some of you who defend Caldwell, I'm sorry, but your arguments don't hold water. The Colt's ineptness goes far beyond losing Peyton, and far beyond shoddy special teams. The team we see today was made over the last few seasons with poor front office moves, and poor coaching. You can argue the point, but the proof is in the pudding. 0-11.

Pathetic.

We'd be 0-11 with Vince Lombardi....we all know that.

You can't be serious right? Did u see how Houston played with the 3rd String QB? The Defense won that game after Leinart went down.

No, I didn't see the game, I was listening to the Colts on the internet and the stupid Bill/Jets game was on television. They still won having utilized their second and third string QB's, that's my point.

I didn't know we played Houston today......

I hate to tell you, WE ARE THE WORST OFFENSE IN THE NFL!!!!!!

And BTW, that team they beat, beat us, remember?

sorry, 2nd worst offense in the NFL vs the best D... u get my point.

No, I didn't see the game, I was listening to the Colts on the internet and the stupid Bill/Jets game was on television. They still won having utilized their second and third string QB's, that's my point.

1. Their 2nd string QB is 10x better than any QB on our roster. (aside from Manning)

2. Their 3rd string QB had 70 yds passing on some lucky throws, NO First downs.in the 2nd half.... NONE 6 straight 3 and out punts and some knees.

3. The DEFENSE of the Texans won this game and there is no arguing it.

I disagree, Houston's defense didn't put up 20 points. We could have had a better backup QB playing, had the folks in charge made some smart choices in the past couple years, but they didn't, so we have Painter.

The argument is that we need a new coaching staff, and most likely a new front office to right this ship. Right now, we are blessed with incompetent leadership and will never get back to the glory of the last decade as long as they are around.

I disagree, Houston's defense didn't put up 20 points. We could have had a better backup QB playing, had the folks in charge made some smart choices in the past couple years, but they didn't, so we have Painter.

The argument is that we need a new coaching staff, and most likely a new front office to right this ship. Right now, we are blessed with incompetent leadership and will never get back to the glory of the last decade as long as they are around.

I agree with you on all off the above, except the part where you think that Houston's defense didn't win that game. ;)

We don't all know that. How do other coaches lose players to injuries (all teams have them) and still win? They adjust, make moves, and switch personnel. Caldwell does not. Lombardi, Marchibroda, Ditka, my Aunt Ruth all would have changed some things by now and probably would have won at least one game.

That is so far from the truth, again today a winnable game. Give me half the other staffs in the nfl and this team has at least 6 wins. Why can't people understand there are some quality players on this team.CAROLINA, HOUSTON, CLEVELAND,ARIZONA,ST.LOUIS, DENVER,WASHINGTON SEATTLE,MINNESOTA. Hve all won with far less talent and 2nd and third string players, please explain how.

I cant believe people are actually giving reason why the Texans won today. That wasnt the point of this thread. The post was trying to say that one team can have major difficulties during the year, and sill find a way to win. Yes, It probably was with there defense. SO WHAT! I guess our defense is should be playing JV ball at an Ivy league school then. REALLY. People actually want to give this dude reason why they won? C'mon Man.

they have a lot more talent than we do,it's really pretty simple.

No they don't. Player for player, the NFL has virtually no talent disparity. All of the teams are picking from among the best college, and semi-pro teams in the country. This isn't college football where some teams are permitted to be stacked based on prestige. Salary cap, scouting, etc., all keep the parity relative.

I don't really understand how people really still don't get this.

This team was built for the offense to score on every drive and he defense to make 1 stop to put the game away.

It's not rocket science.

Some people will call that a "failed" philosophy, yet we have been one of the top 3 most successful franchises of the last 12 years. Only Pittsburgh and New England can claim to have had more success in the post-season.

Right now, the one player that makes it all possible is gone, so we're falling inches short in some games, and losing the others pretty typically.

I firmly believe that Curtis Painter is a bigger problem than the coaching staff. He's awful. I said he was awful when people were screaming for him to start over Collins. I was right, they were wrong. Collins at least got the ball to mid-field before stalling or turning it over. Painter gets an accidental touchdown every once and a while, but otherwise goes three and out faster than anyone else in football history; thus compounding our struggles on defense.

Most of our plays are so close to being executed properly, which means the coaches are getting us into the right set. Painter will throw poorly, or fail to read a defense, and suddenly we're punting again. That's more pressure on the defense, and more aggravation across the board.

Problem is, there aren't any competent QB's sitting around, waiting for a job. The ones people will name (ie: Garrard), don't want to be stop-gap QB's and have stated as much. That means they would turn us down, (for those who don't understand), so we can't just pick them up.

This team was built for the offense to score on every drive and he defense to make 1 stop to put the game away.

It's not rocket science.

Agreed!

And...only one team uses this "snake oil" philosophy... they're 0-11. In a copycat league, if this was a successful strategy, multiple franchises would be doing it. After a decade of "success", no one does. Nobody, na-da, nyet. They all know it's garbage.

I never liked it, never bought into it and will always see it for what it is... snake oil.

This season makes the ultimate argument for why Peyton was voted league MVP a record number of times by his peers. They KNOW he overcomes the philosophy and finds a way to win in spite of it.

It's not rocket science.

ok doogie we get that,all we are saying is it is a flawed,outdated,and obviously without Peyton stupid way of running a team.

I cant believe people are actually giving reason why the Texans won today. That wasnt the point of this thread. The post was trying to say that one team can have major difficulties during the year, and sill find a way to win. Yes, It probably was with there defense. SO WHAT! I guess our defense is should be playing JV ball at an Ivy league school then. REALLY. People actually want to give this dude reason why they won? C'mon Man.

Ummmm, yeah. Have you seen that thing we call a defense out there?

But yes, the Texans are a better team. Better running game, defense, and ST. We are better than them when it comes to certain positions but as far as a complete team, Colts > Texans. Even with the player to player match up, only match ups we win are QB, C, FS, and LE (Mathis), any other position is in favor of the Texans. As we all can see, Peyton is the only reason why we have had more success than the Texans, whether it is division titles or head to head.

So I listened to a little radio today as clearly I didn't see the Texans game and from what they were saying was after Lienart went out the Texans not only didn't score again but their offense almost came to a complete stop. So yes they won with a third string QB but after the back up got them all their points. It's not like the third stringer came in and played great and lead them to the win. There were already reports that the Texans plan to bring QBs in this week (they have to at least find a new back up) so it will be interesting to see if Houston can keep on winning with this third string QB or if this derails their season.

This Houston team is a far better TEAM then we have ever had here. They are the complete package, top defense, great running back tandem, great offensive line, when you have all those things you will always be in a position to win.

Uh we had a team that could have gone 18-1 just two years ago let alone all the 13-3 teams we've had over the years, this Texans team has already lost three games and I don't think they are going to go undefeated the rest of the way so I really doubt they are better than any team we have ever had here since we've had a team win a Super Bowl, two teams go to the Super Bowl and three go to conference title games and a couple of more clinch homefield in the playoffs or have a first round bye in the playoffs and I don't think the Texans are going to do any of those things. They are a different team than the Colts have had over the years without question but I think we've had teams that would have beaten this Texans team.

The Texans are built more off of their Defense and rushing game, not off their passing game. The entire Colts system both on offense nad defense is based off of our advanced passing game. There are those who feel this was not a good move, but the results were there when it was operating at peak performance and there are just a few QB's in the NFL who can run it so that the offense is effective and allows the defense to shine at what it was built to do.

No they don't. Player for player, the NFL has virtually no talent disparity. All of the teams are picking from among the best college, and semi-pro teams in the country. This isn't college football where some teams are permitted to be stacked based on prestige. Salary cap, scouting, etc., all keep the parity relative.

Really. Have you looked at the Texans roster? Man to Man, position to position, Im not sure I wouldn't take every single one of the Texans. Maybe not the #2 DE or the FS, but outside of that, who would you take on our roster right now, over what they have?

Player for player the talent disparity between the Colts and Texans is staggering.