Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shipley

twfish

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we as fans saw today that Shipley has been helped a lot by very good guard play.  With Thornton out and Lance in, not only was there a drop off in RG play but there was a noticeable drop in center play as well.

I think going over 1000 yards in 2 games is a telling tale we should let Shipley go.

I agree that he has a real problem when he turns his shoulders.  He has missed some stunts and blitzes.  He missed one second level block that could have gotten TRich another 10-12 yards as well.  We could have had 512 yard instead of 498.

With no sacks of Luck.....I would have to blame that on the center and RG.  :)

I think going over 1000 yards in 2 games is a telling tale we should let Shipley go.

I agree that he has a real problem when he turns his shoulders.  He has missed some stunts and blitzes.  He missed one second level block that could have gotten TRich another 10-12 yards as well.  We could have had 512 yard instead of 498.

With no sacks of Luck.....I would have to blame that on the center and RG.   :)

It is nice that we are having success offensively, and the forum is a nicer place when people want to give players the benefit of the doubt.  However, just like with players who the forum is quick to dislike, the specifics don't always support the general notion of positive or negative momentum.  Shipley is getting the benefit of the doubt because the offense is clicking, but as Coffee has suggested, I'm not sure that the specifics of his play are quite as strong as forum sentiment for him is.

As you've noted as well....there is a lot of room for improvement in his play and Luck got his share of pressure yesterday - some of it right up the middle.

It is nice that we are having success offensively, and the forum is a nicer place when people want to give players the benefit of the doubt.  However, just like with players who the forum is quick to dislike, the specifics don't always support the general notion of positive or negative momentum.  Shipley is getting the benefit of the doubt because the offense is clicking, but as Coffee has suggested, I'm not sure that the specifics of his play are quite as strong as forum sentiment for him is.

As you've noted as well....there is a lot of room for improvement in his play and Luck got his share of pressure yesterday - some of it right up the middle.

I agree totally.  I just had to add my sarcastic twist to it!!  :)  It was only Jacksonville and the Titans for gosh sakes.  Good reply!

I'm not sure if I fully understand this post.  If you think Shipley's played well yesterday because the team gained a lot of yards and because Luck got the ball out a split second before he was sacked 3 or 4 times then there is really not much else to say.

But I will say, I don't think Shipley is bad.  I think he has been playing ok, not great but certainly not bad, just that there was a noticeable drop in his play when the guard play is not as good.

He is okay but he still gets overpowered too often on running plays.  He is good at pass blocking.  I hope Holmes gets in there soon so we can see what he can do.

Shipley thinks and reacts much faster than what you know who did. On this site that makes him Awesome.

He quickly started covering very well for Jack and Hugh. VN job by AQ.

And he actually has some decent pulls which we got almost nothing of the last 2 years. Good again.

And gives up little ground up the middle, so Andrew can step up. Yaaa!

We Know you can do worse for a starter!

With his shortest in the NFL arms?, and lack of power, i don`t think we will ever run up the middle well because of his abilities.

What ever it takes, i am ready to see Holmes.

:spit:

Would also agree improvement is needed from the whole line. Ive seen some each game , but as far as Shipley doesn't matter much what any of us think .  Pagano likes him and he seems entrenched IMO a big step up from Satele :thmup:

Would also agree improvement is needed from the whole line. Ive seen some each game , but as far as Shipley doesn't matter much what any of us think .  Pagano likes him and he seems entrenched IMO a big step up from Satele :thmup:

Indeed you are right!  While I'm of the opinion they want to migrate Holmes back into an opportunity, I also like the message that they are sending that jobs are earned and not given.  Pagano is a guy that knows his vets and vets can sniff it out if you are giving a guy a job that he hasn't earned.

I think there are probably 6-8 guys that understand OL play on this site.  That is why Coffee and I have so much fun.

BTW...you are one of them!! :thmup:

Yeah....   but there are another dozen or two that THINK they understand OL play....    and that's one thing that can make this site go crazy in no time flat!       

I'm not sure if I fully understand this post.  If you think Shipley's played well yesterday because the team gained a lot of yards and because Luck got the ball out a split second before he was sacked 3 or 4 times then there is really not much else to say.

But I will say, I don't think Shipley is bad.  I think he has been playing ok, not great but certainly not bad, just that there was a noticeable drop in his play when the guard play is not as good.

I do not disagree.  I was doing my usual sarcastic twist to it.  We would have gained a lot more running yards if he and other linemen got that one extra block on the second level.  I am very happy with the pass blocking overall.

I do not disagree.  I was doing my usual sarcastic twist to it.  We would have gained a lot more running yards if he and other linemen got that one extra block on the second level.  I am very happy with the pass blocking overall.

Oh... I didn't get that ;).  I saw the sarcasm, I just didn't know how to respond.  In the end they may not have gained more yards, they may have actually gained less but with some more big plays.  The pass blocking was where I noticed the biggest difference.

The first three games the line formed a good pocket on most plays... when Luck was pressured, it was usually when a player came free not from beating an olineman.  But in the Tenn. game the front of that pocket was collapsing not allowing Luck to step up to make the throw or run.  Fortunately for the Colts the Tenn secondary was so bad that he could chuck the ball up there and a WR was open or Wayne would make a great catch.

Oh... I didn't get that ;).  I saw the sarcasm, I just didn't know how to respond.  In the end they may not have gained more yards, they may have actually gained less but with some more big plays.  The pass blocking was where I noticed the biggest difference.

The first three games the line formed a good pocket on most plays... when Luck was pressured, it was usually when a player came free not from beating an olineman.  But in the Tenn. game the front of that pocket was collapsing not allowing Luck to step up to make the throw or run.  Fortunately for the Colts the Tenn secondary was so bad that he could chuck the ball up there and a WR was open or Wayne would make a great catch.

The Titan secondary was truly awful.  I am still amazed that defensive front did not get a sack....Casey is scary out there.  I love his mean streak.

Hey cut me some slack...I was posting from work. lol  Yeah mine was a pretty extreme example

Consider your slack cut.  It was a great idea, your post was a great idea and you get the credit for it.  I just happen to think the 1981 Ford Mustang was one of the worst ideas in the history of automobiles.  Somehow Ford thought it was a good idea to take the Mustang concept, a sporty car with a big engine, yet comfortable enough for a family of 4, and turn it into a little ugly box with a 4 cylinder engine in which two people could barely fit.  But it wasn't broke.

Consider your slack cut.  It was a great idea, your post was a great idea and you get the credit for it.  I just happen to think the 1981 Ford Mustang was one of the worst ideas in the history of automobiles.  Somehow Ford thought it was a good idea to take the Mustang concept, a sporty car with a big engine, yet comfortable enough for a family of 4, and turn it into a little ugly box with a 4 cylinder engine in which two people could barely fit.  But it wasn't broke.

this is my least favorite mustang body design, with the one you posted being a very close second lol.

polls_1974_ford_mustang_hatchback_coupe_

This is one of my favorite designs, but I may be biased by the fact that this one looks almost exactly like mine. :D  Except mine isn't a GT so no fog lights on the front.

21823d1151960457-redfire-torch-red-pros-

this is my least favorite mustang body design, with the one you posted being a very close second lol.

polls_1974_ford_mustang_hatchback_coupe_

This is one of my favorite designs, but I may be biased by the fact that this one looks almost exactly like mine. :D Except mine isn't a GT so no fog lights on the front.

21823d1151960457-redfire-torch-red-pros-

If only it had the 5.0. That coyote motor is amazing. My favriot is currently the 11+ but im pretty sure the 15 is really gunna grow on me

If only it had the 5.0. That coyote motor is amazing. My favriot is currently the 11+ but im pretty sure the 15 is really gunna grow on me

I'm sure it is. There was another guy in the dealership when I was buying it...he heard the dealer and I talking about the Mustang and he chimed in saying he had one as well.  He asked if it was an 8 cyl and I told him no, it was only the 6.  He said he was sorry.  I told him there was no need to be sorry.  I'm sure the 8 cyl. is great and all, but the 6 still has plenty, and I mean plenty of power, and it's a 5 speed, so it gets slightly better gas mileage than my 4 cyl. Dodge Stratus.  I'm perfectly happy with that. :D

I'm sure it is. There was another guy in the dealership when I was buying it...he heard the dealer and I talking about the Mustang and he chimed in saying he had one as well. He asked if it was an 8 cyl and I told him no, it was only the 6. He said he was sorry. I told him there was no need to be sorry. I'm sure the 8 cyl. is great and all, but the 6 still has plenty, and I mean plenty of power, and it's a 5 speed, so it gets slightly better gas mileage than my 4 cyl. Dodge Stratus. I'm perfectly happy with that. :D

Its been a dream of mine to buy a pony car, but seeing that I farm a car is kinda useless to me so I guess im stuck with a truck but not exactly a bad thing haha

Exactly! We'd strike gold!!!

They'd have to make the SUPER BOWL in Indianapolis every year people would love coming there so much

The publicity, the ratings, the MULA!!!

Awww it'd be great! :yahoo:

Yeah, since everyone knows that raiding the Cleveland Browns' roster is the surest path to the Super Bowl... ;)