Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck is Regressing Under this Regime

High Valyrian

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It did look good at 20-6.  It also looked good at 27-20.  We win if we get a field goal there simple as that.  Instead, a hold not called and a pick.

I never said Luck was good in this game or the last one either..  I said it was not all on Luck, Pep, etc.  Quote the whole post if you want to make a snide comment to me.

BTW...I do not play fantasy football....never will and I never have played Madden.  I analyze football.  Picking on the wrong person here as you already 'should know.'

This thread was created in the interest of discussing Luck and whether or not his performance shows regression/lack of expected progression. So no, we're not discussing the team dynamic and how it affects the outcome. We're focusing on the most important position in all of team sports, the QB. 

IMO, his play is suffering and what the reason for that may be is probably quite complex. 

What you said was "This is not Luck....." and then you began to describe that everybody shares blame, how democratic of you. Point being, you're wrong. This is about Luck. The others will have their turn in the barrel. 

PS: My "fantasy football" comment wasn't aimed at you. Sorry. I'm just sick of FF players thinking a player is great just because of high fantasy stats, and conversely, bad due to poor fantasy stats. It was a clumsy open comment. 

This thread was created in the interest of discussing Luck and whether or not his performance shows regression/lack of expected progression. So no, we're not discussing the team dynamic and how it affects the outcome. We're focusing on the most important position in all of team sports, the QB. 

IMO, his play is suffering and what the reason for that may be is probably quite complex. 

What you said was "This is not Luck....." and then you began to describe that everybody shares blame, how democratic of you. Point being, you're wrong. This is about Luck. The others will have their turn in the barrel. 

PS: My "fantasy football" comment wasn't aimed at you. Sorry. I'm just sick of FF players thinking a player is great just because of high fantasy stats, and conversely, bad due to poor fantasy stats. It was a clumsy open comment. 

And....I am saying it is not Luck.  He has not played well so far.  This game is about Offense, Defense, and Special Teams.

My comment.  If you cannot understand that the TEAM effects the score, the outcome, and the situations a QB is put in....I cannot help you!  I am in NO WAY wrong.  If you could realize, I am not saying YOU are wrong either.

False.  Stop spreading disinformation, or show your work that your claim is true.

Luck was hit 116 times in 2012.....2nd most in the league

Luck was hit 109 times in 2013.....3rd most in the league

According to NFL.COM....Also according to the official the game book done by NFL.COM Luck was hit 6 times vs Broncos and 3 times vs Eagles (1 by Caroll, 1 by Curry, 1 by Ryans) which divided by 2 games is 4.5 a game or rounded up 5...going with that current average of 5 hits a game over 16 games that's 80 hits for the season...A massive improvement over both 2012 and 2013

So its true but barely

I wonder .....    

If being the MOST HIT QB IN THE NFL has anything to do with this ...   ???     hmmmmfmmm?   Oh and the fact the OL is not getting better, and ....    oh ....    NO RUNNING GAME?     hmmmmmmmm?

shhheessshshh    

Luck was clean and up right most of game

i had posted this in another thread, but it may be a good fit here also..

it's a small sample size and anything can happen in the remaining 14 games, but as of now, andrew is on pace to finish this season at:

attempts / td / int / percent / yards / rating

696   / 40 / 24 /    63,2   / 4336 /   85,5         i expect everything to drop, except percentage and rating..

and for comparison:

2013 season:

570  / 23 /  9  /    60,2   / 3822 /    87,0

2012 season:

627 / 23 / 18  /    54,1   / 4374 /    76,5

i do think pep is wasting Lucks talent...the guy needs to get it together or leave! his play calling is so questionable...for god sakes he had t.y as a full back.... really pep??? pep needs to let Luck take more control of the offense..i'm not a fan of pep's at all

Hilton back there in that alignment is just that...an alignment...Even Pep would not actually use him as a FB UNLESS it was a play to get him in space.....which was exactly how he was used....actually looking at that play if that would have been designed as a play action Hilton would have had  a whole lot of Green ahead of him and only a Safety to beat....Again its only a formation....Actually different looks like that could send a defense into full on guessing mode if we would throw in plays like that and actually would have went to him on that play

And....I am saying it is not Luck.  He has not played well so far.  This game is about Offense, Defense, and Special Teams.

My comment.  If you cannot understand that the TEAM effects the score, the outcome, and the situations a QB is put in....I cannot help you!  I am in NO WAY wrong.  If you could realize, I am not saying YOU are wrong either.

We probably agree more than we know. I mean only for the purpose of this thread, to discuss Luck specifically is warranted, and so long as it's done honestly and without emotion, there are fair criticisms of Luck's play in 2014. This team is in no way shape or form good enough to win without Luck being at his best. So far in 2014, I'm not seeing his best but in eeks and moments, and we're winless through 2.

Luck is making the same mistakes he's made holding onto the ball to long staring down 1 receiver not going through his progressions . He's also making a lot of bad passes that any NFL QB should make he really does appear to be regressing in this system .

Can we put a post threshold or a time threshold on all these new people joining and creating posts? 

Example: 

If you have 100 posts or less, you can't create a topic. If you've joined in the last 30 days or less you can't create a topic.

We're getting trolled at maximum levels here. 

As a long time member, I think this is a fair discussion. 

Can we put a post threshold or a time threshold on all these new people joining and creating posts? 

Example: 

If you have 100 posts or less, you can't create a topic. If you've joined in the last 30 days or less you can't create a topic.

Not into that whole "Freedom of speech" thing, are you?  

Look, there are some trolls out there, sure.  But who says that making 100 or more posts makes your point any more valid.  Just because a group of people writes something you disagree with does not make them trolls.  I'm not saying you are a homer, but IMHO, I find the folks who run around in utter denial as problematic as trolls.  

Peace.

If Andrew had a steady O-Line that wasn't constantly changing every week then maybe he wouldn't be hit or pressured all the time. Come on guys... With who we have now it's a million times better than last season for the offensive line. We will see some good really soon.

It isn't an over reaction. It's the only thing preventing us from being a legitimate threat to win it all. Pep has shown he only knows one style of offense. You wouldn't hire Eric Clapton to run an orchestra, sure he's the best human alive at playing guitar but that doesn't mean he can apply that to any kind of music. Pep is great at coaching run first offenses with power house o-lines and wearing other teams out. He's clueless when it comes moving it through the air effectively and using the run as a compliment. The latter we have elite level talent for, the former we do not. To continue as if we did is holding us back, has been for years now.

Clapton is a great guitarist but the best? No.

Example: 

even as a relatively new member, i agree, and make it an even higher threshold..

We probably agree more than we know. I mean only for the purpose of this thread, to discuss Luck specifically is warranted, and so long as it's done honestly and without emotion, there are fair criticisms of Luck's play in 2014. This team is in no way shape or form good enough to win without Luck being at his best. So far in 2014, I'm not seeing his best but in eeks and moments, and we're winless through 2.

agreed.....we still should have won that game...the pick was on a play that was as blatant PI as there could be, and Toler keeps getting called for 'touches.'

Example: 

I believe that is coming down the road....stay tuned.  Now a word from our sponsors....:)

Not into that whole "Freedom of speech" thing, are you?  

Look, there are some trolls out there, sure.  But who says that making 100 or more posts makes your point any more valid.  Just because a group of people writes something you disagree with does not make them trolls.  I'm not saying you are a homer, but IMHO, I find the folks who run around in utter denial as problematic as trolls.  

Peace.

Like taking people's words out of context do you?

I didn't say newbies couldn't comment on existing threads, just don't allow them to start new threads. <- like this one

Like taking people's words out of context do you?

I didn't say newbies couldn't comment on existing threads, just don't allow them to start new threads. <- like this one

What's wrong with this thread?  Personally, I find nothing amiss with it.

For your listening pleasure 

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=11539097&ex_cid=espnapi_public

Perhaps Trent Dilfer is irrelevant too, as I don't think he has 100 posts here either.

Luck was hit 116 times in 2012.....2nd most in the league

Luck was hit 109 times in 2013.....3rd most in the league

According to NFL.COM....Also according to the official the game book done by NFL.COM Luck was hit 6 times vs Broncos and 3 times vs Eagles (1 by Caroll, 1 by Curry, 1 by Ryans) which divided by 2 games is 4.5 a game or rounded up 5...going with that current average of 5 hits a game over 16 games that's 80 hits for the season...A massive improvement over both 2012 and 2013

So its true but barely

OK,, the poster said Luck got hit a lot more under Arians, now.  116 to 109 is not a lot more.  And that is a total.  Luck also dropped back to pass 57 more times in 2012.  So the rate is higher!  But then sack totals are lower under Pep , so if you do a Sack + Hit  / dropbacks calculation the rates are nearly identical between 2012 and 2013.

I know, Ive run the numbers and posted them on thread here.  Twice, at different times.

Now if you are only going on the small sample size of 2014 compared to Arians, (2 games vs. 16) which will change most likely as games are played, then I'll I'll give in, but with an *Asterisk. 

But then I'll would also say Pep right now has Luck throwing way more interceptions on a much less yards per attempt than Arians did.

Let's get more data on 2014 before making bold statements.

Most teams start off somewhat slow in the beginning of the season, there are a lot of moving parts involved. Luck has looked decent so far, just hasn't hit mid-season form yet. Give another couple of weeks, it'll start to come together.

Agreed.  Every year we see teams that start off 2-0 and then later fizzle out. Some teams that are behind early get hot after a sluggish begginning and rise back up toward the top.  It's all about who gets better, overall, faster.  In 4 more weeks we'll know what type of team we are.  Hopefully that will be 4 - 2 or at worst 3-3.  anything less I'll be concerned. (2-4 or worse)

i do think pep is wasting Lucks talent...the guy needs to get it together or leave! his play calling is so questionable...for ...sakes he had t.y as a full back.... really pep??? pep needs to let Luck take more control of the offense..i'm not a fan of pep's at all

Do you really understand so little about football?  Pep did not have TY as FB, TY was lined up at WR and Luck brought him in, it wasn't so TY could be the lead blocker he brought him in the see if the if the LBers or safeties were playing zone or man coverage and what their reads were.

Perhaps Trent Dilfer is irrelevant too, as I don't think he has 100 posts here either.

Trent Dilfer doesn't post on here. Apparently everyone but him does lol. 

I saw that link in the other thread. I'll see if I can pull it up on my phone since I can't open it at work. 

Do you really understand so little about football?  Pep did not have TY as FB, TY was lined up at WR and Luck brought him in, it wasn't so TY could be the lead blocker he brought him in the see if the if the LBers or safeties were playing zone or man coverage and what their reads were.

A simple motion accomplishes this. 

I didn't like the gimmick set, as I saw no attempt to truly exploit using this form. 

I do find it curious, however, that we finally see what Pep's offense intends the running game to  function as, and the passing game goes to hell. 

Trent Dilfer is irrelevant.  He is stating his opinion just like we do.  He has his crystal ball out thought it would seem.

"I have not talked to Andrew, but"  

Trent Dilfer doesn't post on here. Apparently everyone but him does lol. 

I saw that link in the other thread. I'll see if I can pull it up on my phone since I can't open it at work. 

Hopefully you'll be able to get it later, it's an interesting bit.  Have a good day at work, and take care.

A simple motion accomplishes this. 

I didn't like the gimmick set, as I saw no attempt to truly exploit using this form. 

I do find it curious, however, that we finally see what Pep's offense intends the running game to  function as, and the passing game goes to hell. 

Ask Andrew why he brought him in.  It will be the answer that Coffee just brought up....

Once again we win this game if not for a lack of a PI call and the pick.  We score we win the game.  It is simple.  Luck still had 3 TDs...and the running game kept the Eagles from scoring 50 on us.

do we expect too much because he was the first pick in the draft?

Possibly, but pre draft, the Media scouts, some NFL scouts, and GM's mentioned Luck's name in the same breath as John Elway (1983) and Peyton Manning (1998).  Elway is in the HOF, and Peyton Manning is as sure fire a 1st ballot member as you can be..  That is some lofty accomplishments.  Folks do want to see more of an Elway and Manning performance than a Jeff George, Tim Couch, Alex Smith, or Sam Bradford type output.  Every one of these QB's were selected #1 overall in their draft class.

I'd value is opinion a bit more, considering he has been there and done that, don't you think?

Sure thing, but ask Andrew.....who needs speculation and 'rumor'  The media wants to  :stir:

We have running game, Luck is not happy with the offense?  We have passing game?  Media says we have no running game.  Gotta be something.....just a point...

Tom Moore is still out there.  I'm sure Bruce and the Cardinals would let him leave for the opportunity to be an OC again.  I'd bet anything it's in his contract, actually.  Just sayin'.

Chud is here....why is he not helping to game plan?....that is his job.  Just sayin...

BTW I loved Tom Moore....

Trent Dilfer is irrelevant.  He is stating his opinion just like we do.  He has his crystal ball out thought it would seem.

"I have not talked to Andrew, but"  

He pointed out some valid concerns, same stuff I'm seeing. Such as; Our offensive formations being all over the place and telegraphing to the defense by way of our formation what our intentions are. Highlighted by myself would be passing when we should run (interception play) and running when we should pass (2+ minutes left, tie game and we seem to be playing for overtime, not the win). 

Dilfer pointed out that perhaps Luck doesn't trust what we're doing, and when I see a 2 minute offense start with 2 runs, I have to say, I'm pretty distrustful of what we're doing as well