Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Balancing Act

The Old Crow

An interesting question after giving up 31 and 30 points to Denver and Philadelphia respectively. Irsay and Grigson stated letting Manning go and drafting Luck would allow them more balance on offense and defense, and transform the Colts into a tougher Northeast style defense. Do you think the Colts are on track, or just catching some hot offenses ?

An interesting question after giving up 31 and 30 points to Denver and Philadelphia respectively. Irsay and Grigson stated letting Manning go and drafting Luck would allow them more balance on offense and defense, and transform the Colts into a tougher Northeast style defense. Do you think the Colts are on track, or just catching some hot offenses ?

I think its both. Running into a Peyton Manning and Chip Kelley offense in back-to-back weeks especially without a star defensive player is less than ideal. Grigson hasn't had very many chances to add high-impact defensive players. I think the priority so far has been to get protection and weapons for Luck so he doesn't get abused or discouraged. I would expect much of the focus to go towards getting some defensive playmakers from now on.

Number one and two offenses in total yards last year

Yeah I think you answered your own question. Those are two VERY tough offenses to stop...and for the most part we shut down their run game....we just have no answer for those two super quick untacklable backs catching balls out of the back field. We also are hurting without generating a natural pass rush. I honestly have seen some good coverage from our corners and good defense from the OL but our safety and lb play has been attrocious....horrible. They can't cover...and that is a problem and teams that can attack it with TEs and RBs out of the back field (like NE) will give us fits....but not every team is set up and have the personal....and we will be alright for the most part. Not having Freeman last night hurt us BIG time....he is our only legit cover LB....and I know people think Bethea fell off but he was still better tackling and covering than what we have now...he wasn't perfect but he was better. Two juggernaut offenses....both exploiting our weakness....not every team will be able to do it. It should get better...we have put together stretches...we just need some consistancy. 

I think its both. Running into a Peyton Manning and Chip Kelley offense in back-to-back weeks especially without a star defensive player is less than ideal. Grigson hasn't had very many chances to add high-impact defensive players. I think the priority so far has been to get protection and weapons for Luck so he doesn't get abused or discouraged. I would expect much of the focus to go towards getting some defensive playmakers from now on.

One can only dream

I think the Colts are in no man's land. They want to be a different team than the Manning teams of the 00's but Luck is supposed to be the best QB since Elway. They really can't be what the Ravens or Steelers were or even the Pats in the early 00's with Luck at the helm. The fans expect the ball to be aired out and games to be won or lost with Luck. That being said, no Oline, no real threat at RB although Bradshaw looked last night. And of course the defense which is far from being anywhere near a northeast defense. It is a work in progress for sure but the team identity is still being worked out IMO. No one I am sure is happy with letting up those types of points the first two weeks but not sure there are any answers either.