Nicks Vs Talib. We Should Take Advantage

krunk

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A stat from last year for anyone who didn't watch Harris a lot and is curious:

"Sherman in coverage allowed one touchdown catch per 501.5 snaps for .42 yards per snap having covered the #1 wide receiver just 27% of the time. Meanwhile, Harris allowed just one touchdown per 1059 snaps for .53 yards per snap having covered the #1 wide receiver 32% of the time."

Harris isn't at Sherman's level, but I do think my comment on him being pro-bowl caliber has a solid basis.

I agree, I think our receivers can produce against Denver, but don't kid yourself.

Talib is a great corner, and Harris is a very good #2.

I'd take their secondary over ours.

Yes. Great.  Every corner (even the good ones) get burned on occasion.  Also, Hilton is a pretty good receiver as well... Him burning someone isn't really an insult to them.  He burned Sherman, too.

Hmm...Out of morbid curiosity, im going to sit and think and rate some corners...

1. Peterson

2. Sherman

3. Revis

4. Haden

5 ...Talib?

IDK, maybe I'm forgetting someone.  I'd say Talib is easily top 10 and might even be top 5, unless I'm forgetting someone.

I think Davis claims that last spot in the top five. I would gladly take Davis over Talib as my number one corner. I think Davis is a better corner now and still hasn't reached his ceiling. Butler is also an upper echelon nickel corner, so in the event that Harris plays in the nickel then I would say that's a draw. Toler is a very underrated number two corner and when healthy is a massive upgrade over Roby.

A stat from last year for anyone who didn't watch Harris a lot and is curious:

"Sherman in coverage allowed one touchdown catch per 501.5 snaps for .42 yards per snap having covered the #1 wide receiver just 27% of the time. Meanwhile, Harris allowed just one touchdown per 1059 snaps for .53 yards per snap having covered the #1 wide receiver 32% of the time."

Harris isn't at Sherman's level, but I do think my comment on him being pro-bowl caliber has a solid basis.

Well then, they better put Harris on Nicks, cause he had 199 yards  in that video. Talib was abused in that video.

Whoa...everyone on that list after Davis is NO WHERE near as good as Talib. Maybe 6 years ago, Ike Taylor, but...not anymore. Tillman and Verner are Cover 2 corners, so...that's a no. Hall is old and slow, and McCourty is a safety...?

Webb had promise, but has never really lived up to "Shutdown corner"

Edit: haha, just noticed Sam Shields at the bottom. Another nope. So overpaid...poor GB.

Your take on Hall is hilariously wrong.

I swear Nicks hands are almost on the same level as Reggie Wayne.  The guy can catch

His hands are indeed massive & his arms stretch like that of a crane krunk. Luck could throw Nicks a pass in another zip code & he'd come down with the darn ball in his bear paws man. I can't wait for Sunday Night Football.

Bring it on Denver! I'm ready to rock-n-roll baby...

So what Nicks is way stronger than this guy is though.

I don't know what stronger has to do with anything. And even if strength mattered, the two are fairly similar in that department. Harris can play man coverage very well and Nicks still has to show he's the guy from a couple years ago. He's been pretty bad for almost the last two years.

His hands are indeed massive & his arms stretch like that of a crane krunk. Luck could throw Nicks a pass in another zip code & he'd come down with the darn ball in his bear paws man. I can't wait for Sunday Night Football.

Bring it on Denver! I'm ready to rock-n-roll baby...

Exactly!  Bring it on.  I'm ready for the show down

Talib is extremely overrated. Tried telling you guys that last year. He's supposedly a shut down corner even though New England's seconday has a reputation for getting torn to pieces by QB's.

Yes, you did tell us that repeatedly last year Bogie & you weren't wrong  either. But for me, he always gets a stinger or injury at the worst possible time in the post season.

He has courage & heart, but his body can't withstand the punishment he dishes out similar to our former safety Bob Sanders after 2006. 

Im sure he can if Luck can put the ball on him accurately

Yep, which may be tough to do with Von Miller and Ware busting through the line chasing after him constantly. Hopefully the OL can play somewhat feasible and give him some good protection. Tough task though going up against those two.

Did you see how fast Eli was getting the ball out of his hands?  He sure wasn't sitting back in the pocket all day like he had a whole bunch of time.  It can be done the same way with Luck.  The only thing I'll say about Luck is he still needs to work on his ball placement sometimes.  He can get a bit wild on occasion, which scares me in regards to turning the ball over.

Wow...as Sunday approaches....I'm reading here how the Colts are so much better..at so many positions

I definitely think the Colts have the better set of receivers and if you include Allen and Fleener as one entity then I would think they should beat out Julius Thomas. I also think a case can be made for the Colts having a better group of corners. Almost every team will have positional advantages over whatever team they are playing that week. The problem is that, the Colts don't win very many positional battles. The Colts are outmatched along the entire offensive line, at pass-rusher and at quarterback (for now) as well as safety. That being said, it is certainly possible for the Colts to win if players play above expectations.

I don't know what stronger has to do with anything. And even if strength mattered, the two are fairly similar in that department. Harris can play man coverage very well and Nicks still has to show he's the guy from a couple years ago. He's been pretty bad for almost the last two years.

I would not call 700 and 900 yards no fumbles and over 70 1st downs while playing through injuries bad by any stretch over those 2 years.

I think Chris Harris is the other corner.  He would get taken to the wood shed by Nicks

The Bronco's are in big trouble when it comes to matching up with our WR's especially if Pep gets the RB and TE involved in the game. Talib will struggle with anyone but Reggie then he will just get beat. He can't run with TY and Nicks will eat him up. I doubt he plays the whole game anyway.

None of the match ups with our receivers and their corners will matter if our Oline can't stop Miller and Ware. I fear they are going to wreak havoc in which case whatever advantages we have at the skill positions won't materialize. If we can give Luck some time then I think we can take advantage.

Granted it was at home, but we beat the Seahawks and that pass rush with a worse O Line.  We had the same two tackles and a toilet tissue interior with Satele, Mcglynn, and a rookie in Thornton.  Your fears do have validity though because on the flip side it could be like it was when we lost to the Rams with Robert Quinn and Long wreaking havoc all day.   There's no way to decipher what will happen with the O line until the kickoff, but my OPINION(not a fact) is we will be fine. This team is ready for prime time stages, we've been there before.  It's nothing new!  Sunday Funday

Cornerback Aqib Talib

On facing Andrew Luck

“We want to play the top competition. He’s definitely one of the top quarterbacks in the league and he has great weapons around him. It’ll be a great test for us. We’ll be looking forward to that challenge.”

On what makes WRs Reggie Wayneicon-article-link.gif and T.Y. Hiltonicon-article-link.gif tough to cover

“You forgot [WR Hakeem] Nicks. You can’t forget Nicks. They all bring different things to the table. They’ve got a great quarterback and they’ve got a great coordinator. They put themselves in good position to get the ball.”

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/What-Are-The-Broncos-Saying-About-Sunday-Night%E2%80%99s-Matchup-With-The-Colts/db932c8a-cbe8-4ba1-ac26-a62c13c1ef99

I thought the large bolded portion was funny!  You forgot Nicks, You can't forget Nicks.  Looks like Talib took a good lesson from that game when he was in Tampa.

The other thing I found interesting is Talib said "They've got a great coordinator"  

Seems he thinks higher of Pep Hamilton than some of the Pep Bashers on this forum

Cornerback Aqib Talib

On facing Andrew Luck

“We want to play the top competition. He’s definitely one of the top quarterbacks in the league and he has great weapons around him. It’ll be a great test for us. We’ll be looking forward to that challenge.”

On what makes WRs Reggie Wayneicon-article-link.gif and T.Y. Hiltonicon-article-link.gif tough to cover

“You forgot [WR Hakeem] Nicks. You can’t forget Nicks. They all bring different things to the table. They’ve got a great quarterback and they’ve got a great coordinator. They put themselves in good position to get the ball.”

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/What-Are-The-Broncos-Saying-About-Sunday-Night%E2%80%99s-Matchup-With-The-Colts/db932c8a-cbe8-4ba1-ac26-a62c13c1ef99

I thought the large bolded portion was funny! You forgot Nicks, You can't forget Nicks. Looks like Talib took a good lesson from that game when he was in Tampa.

The other thing I found interesting is Talib said "They've got a great coordinator"

Seems he thinks higher of Pep Hamilton than some of the Pep Bashers on this forum

Then hypothetically if they can slow down Wayne, nicks and TY. Then you have Allen, Fleener, Trent and Bradshaw to deal with. It really comes down to our line. We have a plethora if weapons. I just don't see this blow out people are talking about. We can win, will be a hard game to win and we'd have to have some balls bounce out way but we can win.

What I find hilarious is I've been reading a lot if our fans worried about their D but no one has mentioned our D. Our D will be much better than last years.

Then hypothetically if they can slow down Wayne, nicks and TY. Then you have Allen, Fleener, Trent and Bradshaw to deal with. It really comes down to our line. We have a plethora if weapons. I just don't see this blow out people are talking about. We can win, will be a hard game to win and we'd have to have some balls bounce out way but we can win.

What I find hilarious is I've been reading a lot if our fans worried about their D but no one has mentioned our D. Our D will be much better than last years.

I wouldn't even be surprised if we sprinkled in Moncrief on some deep throws as well just to mix it up a bit.  We have plenty of options.  In regards to the defensive line we are better all the way across the board and they will certainly have some things to consider.  I think they would be talking more about us if Mathis was playing, but since he's not the other guys are more unknown quantities as far as our pass rushers are concerned.  I'll be really interested in seeing how Manusky utilizes J. Newsome and Cam Johnson in this game.  Also I'll be interested to see how much more pass rush Walden can create.

Are we seriously going to a game 2 years ago when both players were on completely different teams in a completely different playing environment during Talib's worst year in the NFL  to say this is a favorable matchup?

The question in my OP was "Can we or will we be able to exploit this matchup again?"  And I said this to see if people felt we could get the same result.  The film tells us it's something we should explore most certainly.  There's no guarantee it will be the same, but if you're given evidence you certainly don't gloss it over and say it's irrelevant. Especially since it's 2 years ago and not 6.  Man coverage is man coverage no matter what team you are on, it doesn't change very much at all.  

In this game we were given evidence that a one on one match up between Nicks and Talib tilts more in Nicks favor. Metaphorically speaking If you've gotten an apple from a tree before, do you not go back to the same tree to see if you can get another apple knowing that you are hungry? Even if you got the apple from the tree 2 years ago. You don't stop until it is proven that there are no more apples to be had.....

We have so many interesting personnel matchups to put against their secondary it's very cool!  I'm also interested to see Allen and Fleener in the slot vs the Broncos linebackers and safeties.  So much to think about....

Denver plays 5 defensive backs more than half the time..Von Miller, Nate Irving and Brandon Marshall (the other one) will be the LBs

..all undersized and very fast...but they'll use TJ Ward as a pseudo linebacker

Denver is BUILT for pass coverage ....

You want to run the ball....against their 6-man front...That's the problem here....Trent

Denver plays 5 defensive backs more than half the time..Von Miller, Nate Irving and Brandon Marshall (the other one) will be the LBs

You want to run the ball....against their 6-man front...That's the problem here....Trent

The Trent issue remains to be seen, but I have great confidence in Bradshaw and even Boom Herron.  Those two guys know how to find a hole and explode through it even if the Trent experiment is floundering.  I assume Pep will be smart enough to snatch him, or use him more on passing downs if (Trent) isn't showing any progress.  I don't think we have to have a dominating running game on these guys, just enough to make them honor the play action so we can score.  Remember we changed our philosophy from "No Coast" to "Coast to Coast"  No one said anything about Coast to Coast literally, but the meaning is we are trying to score as many points as possible instead of trying hold the ball all day keeping the score close.

and this is just NOT the same Denver team....

Look at the starting lineups then and now.

Forget the QBs..this is NOT the same Denver team...not the same players

Your right, it's not the same Denver team, and guess what, we're still better than them. They will be looking just like the Packers come Monday morning.

Nicks has a chip on his shoulder and IMO played like our best WR in the pre-season. He could end up being s lot better then even the most excited person about his signing pictured. The real question is will the line hold up to let Andrew use all his weapons. If they do the Colts might be able to go toe to toe with Peyton in a shoot out and Nicks might be a big reason why.