Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lack of Depth at OT

1959Colts

We should sign Winston Justice back again (just released by Broncos).

Not the best, but def a huge upgrade over the likes of Satele, McGlynn, Linkenbach, etc.

We're throwing the idea of bringing Justice back.

THAT is how bad it has become.

I think this is finally the season where our ineptitude on the offensive line finally blows back in our faces. This group appears to be worse than any we've had the displeasure of seeing yet.

Its really pathetic that the team has failed 3 years straight to field a decent line.  I wonder if their failure is due to incompetence in acquiring anyone decent or being too stupid to realize what a colossal effect this poor O-line has on the team and not making it a priority.  Any guesses?  My guess is that they are just completely incompetent in judging and acquiring talent since they have spent more than a few draft picks on complete duds that have been unable to contribute and spent time and effort going out to get trash like Thomas who can't stay healthy. Does anyone at all want to make the case that this O-line isn't garbage or that the team isn't a complete failure at developing a decent offensive line?

It's really pathetic that you think it's only about acquiring talent. Anyone can identify the talent of free agents. You have to make it work for the team though and stay under the salary cap. 

I don't get how our draft picks are complete duds. They have shown to have talent and Thornton did contribute last year. I know he wasn't as good as we had hoped, but who would have been in there if he wasn't playing? They would have definitely been worse. Now he has almost a full year of experience and could turn it around this year. Thomas isn't trash, he is a good lineman...when healthy.

The O-line maybe garbage, I don't know but I want to see what happens in a real game to give my opinion. Even if it is garbage there is a lot of room for improvement with this years group. I think you way overreacted here.

It's really pathetic that you think it's only about acquiring talent. Anyone can identify the talent of free agents. You have to make it work for the team though and stay under the salary cap. 

I don't get how our draft picks are complete duds. They have shown to have talent and Thornton did contribute last year. I know he wasn't as good as we had hoped, but who would have been in there if he wasn't playing? They would have definitely been worse. Now he has almost a full year of experience and could turn it around this year. Thomas isn't trash, he is a good lineman...when healthy.

The O-line maybe garbage, I don't know but I want to see what happens in a real game to give my opinion. Even if it is garbage there is a lot of room for improvement with this years group. I think you way overreacted here.

The delusional optimism of some fans. "Even if it is garbage there is a lot of room for improvement"  Yes, its not bad that its complete garbage it just means more areas they can get better in.  With this way of thinking why doesn't the team just trade away all of their starters and put the 3rd string team that played tonight in.  I'm sure there is tons of room for improvement with them like in absolutely every area.

The delusional optimism of some fans. "Even if it is garbage there is a lot of room for improvement"  Yes, its not bad that its complete garbage it just means more areas they can get better in.  With this way of thinking why doesn't the team just trade away all of their starters and put the 3rd string team that played tonight in.  I'm sure there is tons of room for improvement with them like in absolutely every area.

Last year we had 1 guy with room for improvement. Improvement throughout the year is what you hope for. So there wasn't much room to grow at all. You never answered anything else I posted because you can't defend those comments. 

:facepalm:  You "sky is falling" fans are something else. If a free agent signing doesn't make all-pro then obviously our front office can't evaluate talent or worse. If we don't sign the guy you want then we didn't address the issue.

We're throwing the idea of bringing Justice back.

THAT is how bad it has become.

I think this is finally the season where our ineptitude on the offensive line finally blows back in our faces. This group appears to be worse than any we've had the displeasure of seeing yet.

Actually that year already happened in 2011. 

Even with the injuries, our offensive line is better today than it was from 2008 to 2011.

Grigson has made a lot of effort to turn this o'line around - Some misses and some hits. He has certainly put in the effort, and he has had some very bad luck with injuries.

We almost have to make some kind of move before the season starts. Even if it's just a stop gap one until Reitz is healthy.

I agree. Even if it is only to bring in a solid backup. We have to do something.

Boone or RI is looking like a possibility right now.

I would would wait until after the season officially starts to sign RI though, because then his contract for 2014 is not guaranteed, 

We almost have to make some kind of move before the season starts. Even if it's just a stop gap one until Reitz is healthy.

This.  The next iteration of a 53 man roster that does not include some spots left blank to allow for a couple of guys to be added who are currently on someone else's roster is a waste of time. 

I agree. Even if it is only to bring in a solid backup. We have to do something.

Boone or RI is looking like a possibility right now.

I would would wait until after the season officially starts to sign RI though, because then his contract for 2014 is not guaranteed, 

Boone or Incognito does not solve the back-up tackle issue right now.

Yeah, I think we will.  And not only at O line.  We'll be looking to improve the bottom of the roster at every position if someone else better is available.

Safety has to be one position.  Which ever speed rusher the Rams let go, but other teams will also want to grab him.

As far as all this O line complaining, did I miss something?  Our O Line didn't play against the Bengals, except for Mewhort, right?  I know we need depth (which team doesn't?), but how did the O Line get worse from last week?  I'm confused.

I can't possibly understand where I got that idea.  I mean you did post about Boone & Incognito in a thread about back-up tackles.

Because Boone can (and has very effectively) played left tackle before. 

Anything else that I can clarify for you?

...As far as all this O line complaining, did I miss something?  Our O Line didn't play against the Bengals, except for Mewhort, right?  I know we need depth (which team doesn't?), but how did the O Line get worse from last week?  I'm confused.

The only thing you missed was that Reitz (our only healthy backup T)  got hurt.

I do think this so called "O line complaining" is well deserved.

Our situation cannot just be shaken off by saying... All the other teams have the same lack of depth that we do. So it's no big deal.

Here's the depth chart

LT Anthony Castonzo     Joe Reitz  (injured)    

LG Jack Mewhort           Josh Walker    

C Khaled Holmes (injured)  Jonotthan Harrison  (injured)     FN Lutz       Thomas Austin

RG Hugh Thornton          Lance Louis    

RT Gosder Cherilus         Xavier Nixon (injured)     Matt Hall     Tyler Hoover *

*Tyler Hoover is still listed as a defensive end according to the roster: http://www.colts.com/team/roster.html

Aside from our starting five linemen, we have only have Louis as a reserve.

Walker, Lutz, Austin, Hoover and Hall all have looked inept throughout the preseason.

Even if Holmes is able to take the field? We have only six healthy lineman.

Apologies.  Was not aware of his versatility.

No problem.I doubt the 49ers trade him anyway, and if they do it will be a steep price. There would be a lot of teams in that derby. Plus we would have to give him a new deal.

I would be okay with giving up a 3rd for him and giving him the same kind of deal we gave Thomas, but it is not my money and I do not run the team.

If Boone was brought in (He wont be) then he would not be brought in to be a LT...especially not a back up, He also has voiced not wanting to play multiple positions  

You are half correct. He would be brought in to start inside, but it adds value that he can switch over to LT if needed. This is what he did for the 49ers too. He is a very valuable player.

The only thing you missed was that Reitz (our only healthy backup T)  got hurt.

I do think this so called "O line complaining" is well deserved.

Our situation cannot just be shaken off by saying... All the other teams have the same lack of depth that we do. So it's no big deal.

Here's the depth chart

LT Anthony Castonzo     Joe Reitz  (injured)    

LG Jack Mewhort           Josh Walker    

C Khaled Holmes (injured)  Jonotthan Harrison  (injured)     FN Lutz       Thomas Austin

RG Hugh Thornton          Lance Louis    

RT Gosder Cherilus         Xavier Nixon (injured)     Matt Hall     Tyler Hoover *

*Tyler Hoover is still listed as a defensive end according to the roster: http://www.colts.com/team/roster.html

Aside from our starting five linemen, we have only have Louis as a reserve.

Walker, Lutz, Austin, Hoover and Hall all have looked inept throughout the preseason.

Even if Holmes is able to take the field? We have only six healthy lineman.

I'm not saying O line isn't a concern, but we may be overstating it.  Harrison's injury was a thumb, if I'm not mistaken.  He was held out as precautionary.  Reitz is always hurt, I wouldn't want to count on him anyway.  Nixon should be back in a few weeks.

So, as far as the starters, Holmes is the biggest unkown injury wise.  Mewhort and Thornton are both raw, but healthy.  We're solid so far on starting OT's.

For depth we have Harrison, Louis, and probably Walker.  If Nixon and Reitz aren't coming back anytime soon, we'll probably pick up another backup.  We may only keep nine or ten O linemen on the roster.

Yes, a concern.  Yes, the interior is still an unkown until we see them in action.  But hardly worse than last season.  IMHO, it's improved.

I'm not saying O line isn't a concern, but we may be overstating it.  Harrison's injury was a thumb, if I'm not mistaken.  He was held out as precautionary.  Reitz is always hurt, I wouldn't want to count on him anyway.  Nixon should be back in a few weeks.

So, as far as the starters, Holmes is the biggest unkown injury wise.  Mewhort and Thornton are both raw, but healthy.  We're solid so far on starting OT's.

For depth we have Harrison, Louis, and probably Walker.  If Nixon and Reitz aren't coming back anytime soon, we'll probably pick up another backup.  We may only keep nine or ten O linemen on the roster.

Yes, a concern.  Yes, the interior is still an unkown until we see them in action.  But hardly worse than last season.  IMHO, it's improved.

You sum it up well, and I agree that we are improving (Satele and McGlynn are gone)

But it's hard to say if (and when)  Nixon can be counted on with the knee. I have not heard a word on his condition. And he missed nearly all of camp and preseason. Nixon is a big question mark.

Walker looks serviceable at guard. But he cannot hold the edge at OT. And Hall looks just as bad out there.

If need be, I suppose Mewhort or Thorton could swing out to Tackle. But neither of those two have any NFL experience at Tackle.

We really could use another good Tackle. And I think it's a priority.

You sum it up well, and I agree that we are improving (Satele and McGlynn are gone)

But it's hard to say if (and when)  Nixon can be counted on with the knee. I have not heard a word on his condition. And he missed nearly all of camp and preseason. Nixon is a big question mark.

Walker looks serviceable at guard. But he cannot hold the edge at OT. And Hall looks just as bad out there.

If need be, I suppose Mewhort or Thorton could swing out to Tackle. But neither of those two have any NFL experience at Tackle.

We really could use another good Tackle. And I think it's a priority.

You'll get no argument from me there.  The problem is with your qualifier 'good'.  Unless we make a trade, I don't see it happening.  Every team in the NFL needs a good backup.

The question is, will anyone on the waiver wire be an upgrade over Mewhort or Thornton kicking out?  They both have college experience at OT.  Are they serviceable NFL backups?  I have no idea.  I don't recall if either of them have even practiced at OT with the Colts.

Maybe if Pep called better plays our OL wouldn't get hurt so much.  With that joke aside, I really think we need to acquire quality Guard(s).  Our OL is just getting raped out there.  I wouldn't mind if we event release Donald Thomas to save cap space.  We are in a win now mode. or at least i think we are.

Maybe if Pep called better plays our OL wouldn't get hurt so much.  With that joke aside, I really think we need to acquire quality Guard(s).  Our OL is just getting raped out there.  I wouldn't mind if we event release Donald Thomas to save cap space.  We are in a win now mode. or at least i think we are.

Our cap space is fine this year. The problem is when we have to renew our 2012 draft class.

The OL as a whole is a train wreck currently  ...     We will see later today what direction they are going to go in.    I was totally against bringing in a personality like Incognito at first but now?...   I think Indy should put the full court press on him.   He would come in and start immediately.   And that would free up  JM to be the primary backup T and G.

At this point I just don't see how Grigs cannot bring in 1 or 2 OLmen in the next few days.    The team is really pressing it's LUCK with all the punishment AL takes on a game to game basis.

I would even be for Indy trading for Boone, if a 4 could get it done?  But apparently SF wants a 1 or 2, that is kinda steep.

Still need a backup OT. Who's the best available?

Tipton can be released and picked up on the PS. Heck, Reitz can be released if need be.

Eben Britton could help us.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/30/eben-britton-among-cuts-in-chicago/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1608252-eben-britton-signing-could-be-worth-the-risk-for-bears

As you've pointed out, we have to find a backup with some NFL experience. At least until Nixon and/or Reitz can play.

Hard to believe we'd go into Denver with no one, or trusting a rookie like Mewhort to kick out in case of injury.

Britton is as good as any out there, and he shouldn't be too expensive.

As you've pointed out, we have to find a backup with some NFL experience. At least until Nixon and/or Reitz can play.

Hard to believe we'd go into Denver with no one, or trusting a rookie like Mewhort to kick out in case of injury.

Britton is as good as any out there, and he shouldn't be too expensive.

if he is on our roster week 1, his contract is locked in. After week 1, no guarantee