Erik Walden - $500,000 - Dead Money + $3,750,000 Cap Savings

Donald Thomas - $500,000 - Dead. Money + $3,250,000 Cap Savings

Corey Redding - Free Agent

Darius Butler - Free Agent

Anthony Castonzo - Free Agent

D\’Qwell Jackson - $500,000 - Dead Money + $5,250,000 Cap Savings

Robert Mathis - Free Agent

LaRon Landry - $1,750,000 - Dead Money + $6,000,000 Cap Savings

+ At some point, most likely 2016, we should look to restructure Gosder Cherilus contract.

Tally up all the dead cap.... It totals to 3.4 million plus some change (very minimal).

Minus Trent.... Me personally, I would rather have all the young talent we drafted back in 2012 over these guys. Tally up all the savings you see above... Is it enough to pay for Andrew Luck? I think so. + Hilton... I hope so.

I believe we are sitting nice. Grigson has done a great job with his contracts. Being very careful with future cap while honesty putting the best team on the field in the process.

Copy and Paste the 2015 & 2016 players listed above and give us an idea what would you do. (Resign, restructure, release) (if resign or restructure.... Throw a guesstimated contract out there)

FYI.... I do think Walden and Toler's contract is very serviceable.... I'm not one of those guys that thinks they should be dropped immediately.

GO COLTS!

The only guy in that 2015 list that should be going anywhere is Donald Thomas. Erik Walden has been a crucial part of our defense, and isn't making a lot of money. RJF should be taking Redding's spot in the starting lineup, assuming Redding retires. Toler is a good corner, and is making average money. It would be nice to re-sign Reggie, but let's see what he looks like this year. Same with Nicks and Butler, for different reasons.

Going into next year's offseason, we'll have about $110m committed. The cap should be about $140m. That includes Castonzo's 5th year option, which may or may not hold up (it's not fully guaranteed, but given the way Grigson has handled expiring contracts to this point, we'll probably leave that the way it is at $7.4m). Release Thomas, and you gain $3.25m. Plus, we're in position to carry forward $10-15m from 2014. So we could be looking at an adjusted cap of nearly $155m, with less than $110m committed. 

If we do new contracts for Fleener, Allen, Hilton and Chapman, and a handful of other players, they would probably only kick in as of 2016, aside from prorated signing bonuses. I don't think Luck's new deal will get done in 2015, but if it did, we'd have plenty of cap space to accommodate it. Like you said, the way our contracts are structured is working out well for the team moving forward. Grigson has done a great job with that.

As for Cherilus, I wouldn't restructure him at any point. It's not good business. He's already carrying a heavy prorated bonus amount each year. Restructuring him just increases that amount, and would make it more painful to release him at any point in the future. Just take the pain as it comes, rather than trying to dodge it. Our best walkaway point is actually 2016, when we could save $5.9m by releasing him, so I definitely wouldn't be restructuring him then. Either he's playing well, and should stay, or he's not, and should go.

Corey Redding retire? Doesn't seem to be slowing down for me. I want to see more of the #96,97 and 90 after this year expires.

He says he thought about retiring prior to this season. Him leaving after this year just seems like the natural move. Or if he wants to stay, a smaller, one year deal, like $2.5m or something. Either way, nothing that would have a big impact on our ability to keep building the roster and retaining our guys like we want.

The only players In FA I want to bring back next year is Butler and possibly Nicks if he has a good season. The rest of the players are past their prime and is either injury prone, or has been inconsistent. If Redding does retire, I want Hughes to take over that spot because its quite obvious the coaches aren't convinced on RJF as a starter.

The only players In FA I want to bring back next year is Butler and possibly Nicks if he has a good season. The rest of the players are past their prime and is either injury prone, or has been inconsistent. If Redding does retire, I want Hughes to take over that spot because its quite obvious the coaches aren't convinced on RJF as a starter.

That is a little premature about RJF.  He'll have every opportunity to make an impact this year, especially in our nickel looks, and is viewed like a 4th starter.  Losing your spot to Art Jones isn't an indictment of failure.  

Reggie Wayne - Free Agent Keep as long as he is at least semi productive as his influence is rare and important
Ricky Jean-Francois - $1,250,000 - Dead Money + $4,875,000 Cap Savings Will move into a starter role
Hakeem Nicks - Free Agent After a year with Luck, he will want to stick around
Greg Toler - $333,334 - Dead Money + $4,750,000 Cap Savings Good corner, not too expensive
Erik Walden - $500,000 - Dead Money + $3,750,000 Cap Savings Resign
Donald Thomas - $500,000 - Dead. Money + $3,250,000 Cap Savings Unfortunately, this is the end
Corey Redding - Free Agent Probably retiring, but see Reggie's description above
Darius Butler - Free Agent Base it on this years look.

Anthony Castonzo - Free Agent Try to restructure early
D\’Qwell Jackson - $500,000 - Dead Money + $5,250,000 Cap Savings Lets see the next two seasons
Robert Mathis - Free Agent If he's up to it, get out the quilll and the ink.....scratch him whatever it takes
LaRon Landry - $1,750,000 - Dead Money + $6,000,000 Cap Savings I'll be surprised if he is on the active roster at this point

Yup, good point. Ballard makes a little more than minimum, but you're probably talking about a $200k difference, at best.

I was thinking the same thing as far as Ballard. If he recovers from his injury he still might be worth a gamble at that money. We know he has the talent so we wait and see I guess.

Eh Ill worry about it after this year is up, Right now I have 4 that should definitely be re-signed

1.Wayne

2.Freeman

3.Butler

4.Redding

Walden has been solid but more then replaceable

We have RFA rights on Freeman. We can hit him with a first round tender at somewhere around $3m. 

I was thinking the same thing as far as Ballard. If he recovers from his injury he still might be worth a gamble at that money. We know he has the talent so we wait and see I guess.

Yeah, the fact that we're protecting his rights by not waiving him indicates that they want him in camp next year, at the very least.

I think maybe watching what the guys do after 2 yrs in the system might be more appropriate than just kicking them all to the curb and bringing in a new batch to teach our system to.

87 should wear a horseshoe until he decides to hang them up he has earned that IMO

He says he thought about retiring prior to this season. Him leaving after this year just seems like the natural move. Or if he wants to stay, a smaller, one year deal, like $2.5m or something. Either way, nothing that would have a big impact on our ability to keep building the roster and retaining our guys like we want.

I really hope he can stick it out for one more year. I absolutely love the energy and leadership he brings to our defense. I'm really thinking the 2015 season is our best opportunity to win a ring just before we are going to be forced to hand out some hefty contracts.

Reggie Wayne - Free Agent

Ricky Jean-Francois - $1,250,000 - Dead Money + $4,875,000 Cap Savings

Hakeem Nicks - Free Agent

Greg Toler - $333,334 - Dead Money + $4,750,000 Cap Savings

Erik Walden - $500,000 - Dead Money + $3,750,000 Cap Savings

Donald Thomas - $500,000 - Dead. Money + $3,250,000 Cap Savings

Corey Redding - Free Agent

Darius Butler - Free Agent

Anthony Castonzo - Free Agent

D\’Qwell Jackson - $500,000 - Dead Money + $5,250,000 Cap Savings

Robert Mathis - Free Agent

LaRon Landry - $1,750,000 - Dead Money + $6,000,000 Cap Savings

+ At some point, most likely 2016, we should look to restructure Gosder Cherilus contract.

Tally up all the dead cap.... It totals to 3.4 million plus some change (very minimal).

Minus Trent.... Me personally, I would rather have all the young talent we drafted back in 2012 over these guys. Tally up all the savings you see above... Is it enough to pay for Andrew Luck? I think so. + Hilton... I hope so.

I believe we are sitting nice. Grigson has done a great job with his contracts. Being very careful with future cap while honesty putting the best team on the field in the process.

Copy and Paste the 2015 & 2016 players listed above and give us an idea what would you do. (Resign, restructure, release) (if resign or restructure.... Throw a guesstimated contract out there)

FYI.... I do think Walden and Toler's contract is very serviceable.... I'm not one of those guys that thinks they should be dropped immediately.

GO COLTS!

I think that what happens with Wayne is gonna be up to Wayne.  If Wayne wants to come back and is still playing at a decent level then it would be extremely hard for Grigson to not re-sign him on a short term deal.

RJF is going to have to stay.  It looks like Redding is retiring and while I think we need to consider drafting a 3-4 DE to replace him, RJF will likely be back in the starting lineup next year unless we draft one that's ready to start right away.

Nicks, if Nicks plays like he did against the Giants (minus the stupid unsportsman like conduct penalty), it's going to be very tempting to re-sign him.  

Toler is similar to RJF, I think we need to draft a guy to take his spot but we'll need him for next year unless the rookie is ready to start right away.

Walden I actually think has the biggest potential to go.  I think Werner will be able to replace him in starting line up after the Mathis suspension ends.  

If we are set at guard next season with Mewhort and Thornton then Thomas is a candidate to be released.  

All signs point to Redding reitring.

Butler I think we will keep around for another season or 2.  He's a good #3 CB and his price is extremely reasonable, especially for what you get out of him.  

Castanzo is likely going to get a extension.  I doubt they would exercise the 5th year option on him just to not extend him.

Jackson it depends on how he holds up.

Mathis, I think that will be up to Mathis.  If he's still playing well at this point and doesn't want to retire then he'll likely get a short term deal.

Landry - We need to look at drafting a replacement here at some point.  

Here's my take

Reggie Wayne - Re-sign if he doesn't retire. I'd like him to retire a Colt, and then return as WR coach. 
Ricky Jean-Francois - I'm ok with letting him walk after this year
Hakeem Nicks - Wait to see what he does and what kind of money he wants. 
Greg Toler - SEE YA. There's no drop off in play when Gordy takes over for Toler when Toler gets injured. 
Erik Walden - I think he's getting paid fairly for his production.
Donald Thomas - Peace be unto you.
Corey Redding - If he doesn't retire, re-sign him!! He's worth every penny. 
Darius Butler - Re-sign!!! He's one of the best slot receiver velcro's in the biz 

Anthony Castonzo - Re-sign but don't pay elite LT money please 
D\’Qwell Jackson - too early for me to comment on him yet, but he has looked good in Pre-Season
Robert Mathis - Re-sign...retire a Colt! 
LaRon Landry - kick rocks, unless he turns it around to his 2012 form, but up until now he's been grossly overpaid. 

You can not just think of the performance of the listed players. We have 14 draft picks by 2016 season and will have to make room for Luck's salary. If we say, land a nice DT in the draft, Ricky may be gone, etc. You build teams through the draft as they say. Grigson has done very well with contracts in leaving options open in the future. I am looking forward to seeing the talent finds on the waiver wire.

Here's my take

Reggie Wayne - Re-sign if he doesn't retire. I'd like him to retire a Colt, and then return as WR coach. 

Ricky Jean-Francois - I'm ok with letting him walk after this year

Hakeem Nicks - Wait to see what he does and what kind of money he wants. 

Greg Toler - SEE YA. There's no drop off in play when Gordy takes over for Toler when Toler gets injured. 

Erik Walden - I think he's getting paid fairly for his production.

Donald Thomas - Peace be unto you.

Corey Redding - If he doesn't retire, re-sign him!! He's worth every penny. 

Darius Butler - Re-sign!!! He's one of the best slot receiver velcro's in the biz 

Anthony Castonzo - Re-sign but don't pay elite LT money please 

D\’Qwell Jackson - too early for me to comment on him yet, but he has looked good in Pre-Season

Robert Mathis - Re-sign...retire a Colt! 

LaRon Landry - kick rocks, unless he turns it around to his 2012 form, but up until now he's been grossly overpaid. 

I think if Redding decides to retire we're kind of forced to keep RJF around for another season.  We can draft a 3-4 DE but you can't bank on that guy being your starter on day 1.  If Redding is good for one more season then maybe we can draft one and release RJF and let the draft pick rotate with Redding to get some experience.  

I agree that mathis, wayne, and redding should retire as colts keep them as long as they are effective and want to play another year. I personally feel we should resign butler during the season if we make the big dance and win as with every super bowl winner teams will be looking to pay those guys a premium to get them. And I would argue if isn't the best slot corner in the league he is for sure in the top 3.

I really hope he can stick it out for one more year. I absolutely love the energy and leadership he brings to our defense. I'm really thinking the 2015 season is our best opportunity to win a ring just before we are going to be forced to hand out some hefty contracts.

Meh, we'll be fine moving forward. Grigson has already tightened up a little bit in preparation for re-signing the 2012 class. By doing so, he'll be able to frontload a couple deals, and then keep the others relatively flat, so the increasing cap can absorb the increasing salaries. Those young guys getting better and staying healthy will keep the team in contention. 

I do agree, though, that we'll have a special opportunity in 2015. Assuming we get some critical improvement in 2014, we'll be able to target a couple of high quality players in free agency to fill some gaps -- maybe safety, maybe another pass rusher -- and the 2012 and 2013 classes will have really hit a stride (as good as Luck and Hilton have been, they still have a lot of improvement to make, and Fleener and Allen haven't yet proved what kind of tandem they can be). 

Meh, we'll be fine moving forward. Grigson has already tightened up a little bit in preparation for re-signing the 2012 class. By doing so, he'll be able to frontload a couple deals, and then keep the others relatively flat, so the increasing cap can absorb the increasing salaries. Those young guys getting better and staying healthy will keep the team in contention. 

I do agree, though, that we'll have a special opportunity in 2015. Assuming we get some critical improvement in 2014, we'll be able to target a couple of high quality players in free agency to fill some gaps -- maybe safety, maybe another pass rusher -- and the 2012 and 2013 classes will have really hit a stride (as good as Luck and Hilton have been, they still have a lot of improvement to make, and Fleener and Allen haven't yet proved what kind of tandem they can be).

We are on the same boat Captain!

Any names that stand out for free agents to target for next year?

Any names that stand out for free agents to target for next year?

First step is evaluating the current roster.

If we don't have adequate safety play, then maybe Devin McCourty. Brian Orakpo will probably make it to free agency. Mike Iupati might make it to free agency, but I doubt we sign any big contract interior linemen. 

Overall, it's too early to really say.