Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

49ers expecting multiple trade offers for Alex Boone.

Shambles?      Not nearly ....

......    YET.

BUT...     it is getting kinda scary...       Fear not, Grigs will ...  and is forced to make something happen.

I don't know much about Boone, but if he is a 49er and played he must be worth a shake.      I'd do a 5th today, or maybe a WR trade?   D Rodgers for Boone?   wth?

#Colts GM Grigson has shown a willingness to be very aggressive & his OL is in shambles. Could Baalke get a 3rd for Boone?

— John Middlekauff (@JohnMiddlekauff)

August 9, 2014

Looking at him I don't think I'd want to trade a 3rd.  Maybe a 5th.  Remember we're also likely to have to sign this guy to a new starter level contract if we did trade for him.

We should really try to keep all our first and second day picks in tact for the next draft.  

Also our starting O-line barring injury for the next several years seems to be in place with Holmes expected to return for week 1.  We could use quality depth no question about that, but if this is the line we want for the next several years, why would we upset that by bringing in a starting level guard?

Kyle Cook, a former Bengal, and Mike Pollak, a former Colt are still available that I like for our scheme at the Center position.

No need to rush anything and lose draft picks.

Didn't everyone think Pollak was terrible when he was here?

If we make a trade for him, we need to do it NOW. I would like for him to have some time to digest the playbook before playing. Otherwise he is a liability. 

I stated in another thread that Alex Boone is an ELITE guard. New Orleans is one of the top offenses in the NFL and they have 2 Pro Bowl caliber guards in Evans and Grubbs. 

Another point, Boone plays right guard. We have 2 games every year against JJ Watt, arguably the best defensive player in the game, who ultimately goes up against our right guard. 

Shambles?      Not nearly ....

......    YET.

BUT...     it is getting kinda scary...       Fear not, Grigs will ...  and is forced to make something happen.

I don't know much about Boone, but if he is a 49er and played he must be worth a shake.      I'd do a 5th today, or maybe a WR trade?   D Rodgers for Boone?   wth?

I wouldn't go higher than a 5th he has a checkered past and his play fell off last year. The fact he can play T too is encouraging but what does it mean to our O Line if we bring him in? He goes to RG Thorton is moved back to LG? Then there is the money he is going to want top dollar for one good season. He didn't start until 2012 then wasn't that good last year according to pro football focus.

If Holmes is the man at C the O Line seems to be coming along. I like what I have seen from Harrison. Boone seems like an expensive unnecessary gamble to me.  I would have rather rented Incognitio for a year on a prove it contract if we are that bad on the OLine . The thing is I don't think we know that until we see Holmes play.

According the Pro Football Focus, he rankedicon1.png as the third best guard in the entire league with a plus-22.9 in 2012. 2013 wasn’t the same story. In 2013 he was 40th out of all guards with a minus-2.1 rating. That is a substantial drop off.

Multiples teams are prepared to approach the San Francisco 49ers about their interest in the trading for hold out Alex Boone. Boone was held since early beyond the season. The two sides are not closed to each other and boon is prepared to stay away from the team until he gets the new deal.