Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwayne Allen: "Me and Fleener, we don't leave the field no matter the situation"

HtownColt

Now, with Allen back in the lineup and double tight-end formations back in the playbook, the Colts are planning to follow the script and add to it.

"It is getting more exotic," Allen said. "He started out really basic last year in the things that he installed and the things that we did. This year he's mixing it up a bunch because he knows we are capable of catching whatever he throws at us."

Allen has already noticed a difference in how defenses are reacting — and the Colts haven't even lined up against an opponent yet.

"They started to adjust by bringing out their nickel package, which they usually only bring out for one tight end, three wides," Allen said. "But because of the mismatch problem, they had to bring in the nickel backer to guard Coby."

"We're able to do a lot of things that we did last year but with bigger personnel, meaning me and Coby are the pair that are on the field and we don't leave the field no matter the situation," Allen said.

"(Friday) we worked a two-minute drill with one tight end, three wides, but very often we'll work the same two-minute drill with two tight ends and two wides just to give the defense a different look and really work on the things that we want to accomplish."

Full article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/08/02/allens-return-can-help-colts-stretch-field/13511399/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomnfl-topstories

In Hamilton's first season as coordinator in 2013, so much of his offseason preparation was spent implementing ways to exploit defenses with the multi-purpose tight end his scheme thrives off of.

Then, three quarters into the first game of the season, Allen went down with a season-ending hip injury and all those plans went kaput.

As a result, what fans saw last season from the Colts offense wasn't really the Colts offense. That's how big a part of Hamilton's plan Allen was and still is.

"I was expecting a multi-formation, multiple-tight end type of offense, utilizing us both in the pass game and in pass protection," Allen said. "I believe we got into a one-dimensional, one-tight end passing game last year and a one-tight end running game because of the personnel. The offense was totally different."

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/07/27/return-tight-end-dwayne-allen-help-colts-offense-reach-full-potential/13246597/

I didn't understand the Eric Swoope "project" at first and I know he`s nowhere near Fleener or Allan talent "yet" but it makes sense to me now. If either goes down to injury, which I hope never happens, maybe Swoope could come in and the Colts not have to go back to last years Allan injury situation on offense. 

Before mentioning Swoope as possible depth if someone goes down, I don't think Swoope would be the one Colts look to. I think they continue to develop him all year on PS. He is too green, although very promising. We need to remember Mr. Irrelevan, Wesely Saunders from South Carolina, last years 7th round draft choice. Everyone says he has been great in camp, and is providing quality depth at TE. I read an article even mentioning if we were to let him hit the waivers, several teams have had their eye on him.

Before mentioning Swoope as possible depth if someone goes down, I don't think Swoope would be the one Colts look to. I think they continue to develop him all year on PS. He is too green, although very promising. We need to remember Mr. Irrelevan, Wesely Saunders from South Carolina, last years 7th round draft choice. Everyone says he has been great in camp, and is providing quality depth at TE. I read an article even mentioning if we were to let him hit the waivers, several teams have had their eye on him.

You're confusing Saunders with Justice Cunningham.

I don't mean to be that guy but Saunders has been in the league for awhile. You're thinking of Justice Cunningham who is on the Rams roster

I would rather have Swoope out there instead of Jack Doyle.

From what I'm reading, Swoope catches almost everything and looks very fluid as a receiver.

Doyle can't block anyways, so why not go with someone who has the actual athleticism?

Swoope was getting destroyed as a blocker the last time I heard something on him. It'll be a while before he jumps Doyle and Saunders. Peps TEs have to be able to block(or at least try in Fleener's case lol)

Swoope was getting destroyed as a blocker the last time I heard something on him. It'll be a while before he jumps Doyle and Saunders. Peps TEs have to be able to block(or at least try in Fleener's case lol)

Well if we are going for blockers, Saunders all day over Fleener and Doyle. <- not that it's hard 

Allen is the best all around TE we have by far. 

I continue to hope for a lot of 12 personnel out of the Colts, using Fleener as a Flex TE and pushing tempo a little bit. What Allen says here is encouraging.

I like your thinking. Also with Allen he can motion into the back field and lead block as well for Trent or chip and go out in patterns. He was by far the most complete TE in that draft and we will really benefit from all the things he does well. I like the idea of keeping them both out there quite a bit and rotating our receivers for matchups. I also think it will be best to bring back Reggie slowly as well so with the receiving packages we should be able to field I think we should be in good shape. Excited to watch this offense. My only concern is the youth on the OL...if Luck will have the time to make things happen. Can't wait!

So on passing plays is it more effective to have 2 TE and 2 WR sets over 1 TE and 3 WR's? So would you guys rather have Fleener lined up out wide more often rather than having a third WR like Wayne/Hilton/Nicks? I personally wouldn't choose Fleener over one of those guys almost 100% of the time.

To be honest, I love football but I'm not super knowledgeable about the game like some of you guys. I could be wrong about all this, so maybe someone can explain the benefits of the 2 TE sets to me. I can definitely see how 2 TE sets can be really effective and can cause a lot of mismatches. I was just surprised when Allen says that him and Fleener won't be coming off the field no matter the situation, because I wasn't expecting us to run with 2 TE's almost 100% of the time. So does that mean we won't be seeing 3 WR's very often this year?